Photo

Metal Gear Solid: The Legacy Collection

38 replies to this topic
gionascm2
  • gionascm2

Pedantic Perfectionist with a slight case of OCD

• Members

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:18 AM

Now's my chance to enter the realm of Metal Gear cool.gif I hope its $60.

Off I go to Wikipedia to learn everything about the MGS series in a few minutes.

tuareg
  • tuareg

Goodbye, John Marston. It's been a great pleasure!

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:33 AM

QUOTE (gionascm2 @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 00:18)

Off I go to Wikipedia to learn everything about the MGS series in a few minutes.

Don't ruin the experience for yourself.

FullMetal
  • FullMetal

Non-Retard

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:11 AM

Don't... don't go to the wiki. Get the superb comics and get that to tickle your interests in the MGS universe. Then start playing MGS and continue onwards.

gionascm2
  • gionascm2

Pedantic Perfectionist with a slight case of OCD

• Members

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:25 AM

Ok, I went there but I left after reading a few sentences when I realized that it may contain spoilers... tounge.gif I was just looking to learn some background info about the game (such as who Big Boss & Snake are, and the chronology of the games). Read the comics first, you say? Where do I begin?

Sakuya
  • Sakuya

No greater good, no just cause.

• The Connection

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:43 AM Edited by Sakuya, 23 April 2013 - 05:53 AM.

QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 16:21)
The PS ONE graphics are really offputting in an otherwise brilliant game.

Yeah, for real, that sh*t is hideous. I can deal with it though. Since they're not really bringing anything new to the table with this, I'm just gonna grab the HD Collection and by MGS1 off PSN. That totals about $36, $45 when adding the $9 I spent on MGS4. So, unless the Legacy Collection is $44.99, I probably will be saving money.

gionascm: I envy you, in a way. I always wondered what it would be like to play the games in chronological order. Plus, that chronology starts with what I personally believe to be the best game in the series, MGS3. That said, it could be really confusing that way. Either do it that way or in order of release. If you just pick random games, it'll be even more confusing.

One thing to keep in mind as you play them, is that the 2 Metal Gear games were made a decade before MGS, and are almost not even considered canon. The events portrayed are acknowledged as having happened, but you won't find many links to the other games (even the ones set before them) in the details. That, and the fact that the timeline is filling up, leads some to believe there may be remakes coming down the pipeline with some retconned additions.

Money Over Bullshit
  • Money Over Bullshit

Mack Militant

• Members

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (Sakuya @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 06:43)
QUOTE (Money Over Bullsh*t @ Monday, Apr 22 2013, 16:21)
The PS ONE graphics are really offputting in an otherwise brilliant game.

Yeah, for real, that sh*t is hideous. I can deal with it though. Since they're not really bringing anything new to the table with this, I'm just gonna grab the HD Collection and by MGS1 off PSN. That totals about $36, $45 when adding the $9 I spent on MGS4. So, unless the Legacy Collection is $44.99, I probably will be saving money.

gionascm: I envy you, in a way. I always wondered what it would be like to play the games in chronological order. Plus, that chronology starts with what I personally believe to be the best game in the series, MGS3. That said, it could be really confusing that way. Either do it that way or in order of release. If you just pick random games, it'll be even more confusing.

One thing to keep in mind as you play them, is that the 2 Metal Gear games were made a decade before MGS, and are almost not even considered canon. The events portrayed are acknowledged as having happened, but you won't find many links to the other games (even the ones set before them) in the details. That, and the fact that the timeline is filling up, leads some to believe there may be remakes coming down the pipeline with some retconned additions.

I think it's best to play them either in order of release or play 1 first (and read the "previous operations" section to get the story on Metal Gear 1 and 2) then play the rest in the following order: 3, Peace Walker, 2, 4. Graphically and gameplay wise 3 is a massive jump from Metal Gear Solid 1 which is why I would suggest playing MGS1 first.

The chronological order of the games goes as follows:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (1964)
Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops (1970) - this game is only available on PSP
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (1974)
Metal Gear (1995) - Part of the HD Collection
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake (1999) - Also part of the HD Collection
Metal Gear Solid (2005)
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2007/2009)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots (2014)

There's also a spin off that was released this year called Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance which is set in 2018 although it's not part of the main series.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:15 PM

Speaking on his radio show, Hideo Kojima said in order to release the collection on Xbox 360, it would take too much work due to the amount of data in the game.

“I’m sorry to say an Xbox 360 version isn’t being released, because an Xbox 360 version of MGS4 hasn’t gone on sale,” Kojima said. “To explain the situation, the amount of data in MGS4 is just too enormous.”

Since 360 doesn’t use Blu-ray, MGS4 would take up seven DVDs.

“I want to put it out [on Xbox 360],” Kojima continued. “But we won’t be releasing it. “When the next Xbox console [comes out], maybe we can release it [The Legacy Collection].

“If we released a version on the Xbox 360 without MGS4, then it’s not The Legacy Collection.”

The Legacy Collection includes Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid 3: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions and Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy Edition and is out in North America in June on PS3.

NYC PATROL
  • NYC PATROL

"Patrolling and Observing Forums Since 2005"

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 02 May 2013 - 11:47 PM

IMO, HD collection should have been for the 360 only then the PS3 just gets the Legacy collection as planned.
I wouldn't have bought the HD collection for PS3 if I knew this was releasing. whatsthat.gif

However, It's funny I say now I won't buy it but I'm such a big MGS fan i'll probably end up
getting up.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

Releasing on the 9th of July 2013.
BEST TRAILER OF ALL TIME!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users