Quantcast

» «
Photo

Red Dead Redemption or Batman: Arkham Asylum?

36 replies to this topic
Meekail
  • Meekail

Space Invader

• Members
  • Maldives

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

I really want both RDR and Batman AA, but it seems I can get only one. Now, I have played both of their sequels. Batman Arkham City and Undead Nightmare (not really a sequel since it is a DLC.) But I have yet to play both of their prequels. I don't know what game to pick, as it is very hard.

Which game should I choose and why?

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:19 PM

Red Dead Redemption (Even though I've never played I'd pick it over Asylum for the following reasons:

- Open-World.
- Has tons of side activities etc.
- Better Storyline.(IMO)
- A pretty big map.

They both are different games, Arkham Asylum is an action game while RDR is an Open-World game. I'd definitely pick RDR not only for the reasons listed above but the game is just beautiful as a whole, However it's kinda unfair to compare Arkham: Asylum to RDR because they both are different games. Go for RDR you won't regret it.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None
  • Discussion Award [Gaming]
    Literary Prowess [General Chat]

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:45 PM Edited by Lightning Strike, 18 April 2013 - 05:51 PM.

It depends on what you're into the most? I know it's kinda' difficult to explain; for example, if you like Westerns more then superheros then go for Red Dead, if you swing the other way go for Arkham Asylum. It's clearly obvious though which of the game's is superior, Red Dead Redemption to me trumps every game under the sun so if you're looking for what I'd personally recommend go with Red Dead Redemption.

It's a much, much better game then Arkham Asylum, that's not to say that Arkham Asylum's bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it simply cannot compete with, nor compare to Red Dead's pure Western brilliance. In all honesty if you're going to try and make the argument that Arkham Asylum's a better game then Red Dead Redemption then you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Yes you can prefer Arkham Asylum but to say it's a better game is a fallacy. Lastly I'd say that it depends on what pacing you find preferable, Arkham Asylum's a much faster paced game than Red Dead so both have a very distinct feel so I'm forced to go back to my old point of what YOU are more partial towards. In short pick up Red Dead if you're torn between the two, if you're not then choose the game that belongs to the genre that you most prefer.

Durden
  • Durden

Jack's blatant honesty

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

As a guy that has played both games and hasn't particularly loved either of them, go with RDR. AA is just so short -- you'd be better off getting AC or the third upcoming game. RDR is at least very fun, beautiful, and has great storytelling. Its a long game that will engross you in its atmosphere.

bowling...?
  • bowling...?

Turkey

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Red Dead has a lot more replay value.

d0mm2k8
  • d0mm2k8

ad infinitum

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

QUOTE (Master of San Andreas @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 17:19)
Arkham Asylum is an action game while RDR is an Open-World game.

They are both action-adventure games. The difference is that RDR is a third-person shooter whilst Batman: AA is a brawling/stealth game.

I'd personally go for Arkham Asylum because Batman is awesome, the story and characters are a lot more interesting than Red Dead and it has a badass epic sequel.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States
  • Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2015
    Best Poster [Movies/TV] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Movies/TV] 2013

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:42 PM

As is obvious by my signature. I am a Batgeek. I love Batman. I love Arkham Asylum, it is a nearly perfect game.

That said, Red Dead Redemption is even closer to being a perfect game. Either way I think anyone would be happy, but I think most people would be more happy with RDR.

Indi
  • Indi

Don't cross the streams.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

Red Dead Redemption friend. Never have I played a game that has matched the true lifestyle and culture of the ol' West.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (Master of San Andreas @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 16:19)
Red Dead Redemption (Even though I've never played I'd pick it over Asylum for the following reasons)

Better Storyline.(IMO)

Eh? GTAForums logic.

I'd pick RDR if you can only buy one, simply because it will offer more gametime, even though I'd personally take Arkham over RDR.

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:54 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 17:49)
I'd pick RDR if you can only buy one

even though I'd personally take Arkham over RDR.

You're hardly in a position to be judging logic.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Ew, I didn't see that part where he said RDR had a better storyline. Or it just didn't register. RDR has everything on AA, except story, and arguably atmosphere, where I'd consider it a draw.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 17:54)

You be logic in a position to are hardly judging.

If you want to quote parts of me and make it look like something I didn't say, then sure.

Ofcourse the "if I were you" is implied in the first statement.

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:07 PM

Why you would play Undead Nightmare before the original game is beyond me. But you have the advantage of already knowing the style of gameplay in both Red Dead and Arkham Asylum. So it boils down to which one you enjoyed more. Arkham Asylum is very similar to Arkham City.

Speaking as someone who has the RDR Game of the Year edition, and both Batman games, you will definitely get much more out of Read Dead in terms of game time and the story itself. I loved the Batman games but once you've completely clocked them (which can be done in the span of a few hours) and messed around with the predator and combat challenges, the novelty wears off.

I'm sure they run quite cheap on ebay by now, you could get both for 10-15 total. Which is like 250-350 Rufiyaa if you're from the Maldives.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'd go for RDR. It is just a brilliant game, dude. You like Grand Theft Auto? If you do, you should pick RDR up like this:

user posted image

For a video game, the story is one of the best, if not the best one yet. The physics is a combined awesomeness of an updated Euphoria[over IV] and and updated Rage engine[over IV]. The atmosphere - along with the background score - is simply unrivaled IMO. The sidequests are aplenty too!

I do not even think I'll like GTAV more than RDR; so there's your answer. icon14.gif

Finite
  • Finite

Lazarus

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 18:05)
QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 17:54)

You be logic in a position to are hardly judging.

If you want to quote parts of me and make it look like something I didn't say, then sure.

Ofcourse the "if I were you" is implied in the first statement.

Says the man who doesn't believe in God, but doesn't consider himself atheistic in anyway.

If you wish to continue this little argument take it to PM's, the issue being that you're a very, very large hypocrite so I doubt we'll actually get anything done. Regardless, let's leave this little debate here eh?

Mista J
  • Mista J

I can't wait to show you my toys...

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:42 PM

You couldn't go wrong here when you make any decision, both are truly fantastic and have great gameplay. But I think Red Dead's Open World edges it for me. I guess you could buy one and rent the other?

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 18:10)
If you wish to continue this little argument take it to PM's, the issue being that you're a very, very large hypocrite so I doubt we'll actually get anything done. Regardless, let's leave this little debate here eh?

Aw so cute, can't keep topics seperated and does the cute little 'I got the last response, haha! And if you continue this you'll be the one looking stupid because I suggested to PM'. Unfortunately for you, I can be just as a big baby (and stupid, one of my specialties), since this is the internet.

There wasn't an argument by the way, there was an off-topic reply by someone who can't read complete sentences. To recap and elaborate on what I said, for the special people around here:

I simply pointed out it was weird to not have played both games yet call the storyline (which runs through the entire game) of one of the games better than the other.

I'd take Arkham because it has Batman, the combat system is great (and the stealth take-outs are awesome) and the storyline is darker (and more interesting, since it's Batman) than the one in RDR. But if I were in the OP's position I would pick RDR, since there's just so much more gametime in RDR, and money is money. Both are quality games, but RDR has more quantity.

Cameron
  • Cameron

💯

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Some of you guys are exaggerating tbh.

RDR certainly isn't "the best game ever"

Yeah, the story playthrough is brilliant along with some activites, but come on it's not the best game ever. There's not much to do besides hunting, some of the game activites and multiplayer. Multiplayer isn't that good IMO, it just feels like a watered down GTA4 because it's limited to the wild west. Not to mention the absurd amount of game modes with minor differences and half of them are DLC.

OP, if you've got Undead Nightmare that's all you really need. The SP experience is good but not super-amazing like everyone says and correct me if I'm wrong you can access MP with UN.

I'm not hating RDR, it's a good game, but it's just not amazing like everyone says.

darthYENIK
  • darthYENIK

Born to kick your ass

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-States

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 11:33)
Some of you guys are exaggerating tbh.

RDR certainly isn't "the best game ever"

Yeah, the story playthrough is brilliant along with some activites, but come on it's not the best game ever. There's not much to do besides hunting, some of the game activites and multiplayer. Multiplayer isn't that good IMO, it just feels like a watered down GTA4 because it's limited to the wild west. Not to mention the absurd amount of game modes with minor differences and half of them are DLC.

OP, if you've got Undead Nightmare that's all you really need. The SP experience is good but not super-amazing like everyone says and correct me if I'm wrong you can access MP with UN.

I'm not hating RDR, it's a good game, but it's just not amazing like everyone says.

Yes it is. I think it's nearly perfect. It's not your opinion, but it's mine and many others.

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (LazyboyEight @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 19:33)

It may be to some people, you know, different opinions and all. smile.gif

@OP: Personally, I would recommend Red Dead Redemption. Batman: AA is an amazing game no doubt but it isn't as good as RDR in my opinion.

Corndawg93
  • Corndawg93

OG

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:00 PM

RDR, it's sh*ts all over Batman

tomi19
  • tomi19

Playa

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

I'd say RDR. I've played both Arkham Asylum and Arkham City and I found both very entertaining but you can only play those once and their story is not that long.

Braindawg
  • Braindawg

Carbon based Buffoon!!

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

Red Dead Redemption. Without a doubt.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:07 AM

Red Dead Redemption... But that's coming from a super fanboy, so... moto_whistle.gif

Seriously, it's the best game I have ever played, and I've been through a sh*t load of games. Arkham Asylum is in a different category so I can't really give you a comparison, but you'll have a better time playing RDR/ By the way, you can ask yourself which was better out of Batman: Arkham City and Undead Nightmare and make your choice based off of that.

Barry Spock
  • Barry Spock

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 12:37 AM

RDR. I've payed it several times over and still love it. I bought batman aa, sat thru 5 minutes of it and ejected it. I'll never play it, just resell it.

Meekail
  • Meekail

Space Invader

• Members
  • Maldives

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:39 AM

Looks like Red Dead wins, I guess.

BTW, I bought the DLC one because it is the only game I found on ibay (Maldivian verision of ebay) which involves Red Dead at that time.

Zancudo
  • Zancudo

Soldier

• BUSTED!
  • Poland

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

No offence, but such topics always bring a one word to my mind: retarded. You just did put in comparison two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT games and you ask OTHER PEOPLE which one would be better for you. Do you ask random people on the street which food is better to eat? "Hey, mister, should I go for Pizza Hut or that newly opened KFC?"

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:08 PM

No contest: RDR.

Btw, how can you have played Undead Nightmare without RDR?

Zugzwang
  • Zugzwang

Snitch

• Members

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

They're both great, very different, games but RDR will keep you occupied longer so I would recommend going with that.

Killerdude
  • Killerdude

And Remember, Respect is Everything!

• The Yardies
  • Canada

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:33 AM

RDR hands down, If you want a game with an Amazing story with decent gameplay, RDR is the way to go.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users