Photo

Friends Comeback Season Announced

48 replies to this topic
Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:20 AM Edited by billy james, 18 April 2013 - 03:23 AM.

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 10:35)
QUOTE (kippers. @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 17:18)
QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 22:53)
canned laughter.

I don't care for the rest of your opinion but if you think for 1 second that Friends wasn't filmed in front of a live audience then you don't know the difference.

meh.

doesn't change my opinion.
canned laughter (as a phrase) also refers to sitcom timing. the delivery of the punchline is set up for the actors and for the audience. they (the actors) just have to hit their cue and the audience understands when the joke has been made and when it's ok to laugh.

it doesn't change the fact that I found Friends (as a comedy) to be extremely bland and boring.

That where your wrong, I looked up a bunch of reviews for it and they all said the same damn thing, "it's the best show ever" is all I saw, so explain what so bland and boring about it

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 21:20)
I looked up a bunch of reviews for it and they all said the same damn thing, "it's the best show ever"

you didn't look very hard then.
you saw a few favorable reviews and stopped.

there's plenty of critics and people alike who didn't enjoy Friends.
I'm not the only person on Earth who feels that way rolleyes.gif some of them are in this thread...

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 14:56)
I looked up a bunch of reviews for it and they all said the same damn thing, "it's the best show ever"

I'm not the only person on Earth who feels that way rolleyes.gif some of them are in this thread...

I love the way you avoid answering why you think it so bland and boring, only two people have said they didn't like it, that was you and some other dude, and also I just didn't look at some favourable review then left, I looked at at least 5 pages pages of people saying the same thing, all saying it was good

Melchior
  • Melchior

Big Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • China

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:42 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 14:16)
QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 14:56)

I love the way you avoid answering why you think it so bland and boring, only two people have said they didn't like it, that was you and some other dude, and also I just didn't look at some favourable review then left, I looked at at least 5 pages pages of people saying the same thing, all saying it was good

A lot of people think Friends is total trash.

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

Boards Of Canada

• The Connection
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:39 AM Edited by ThePinkFloydSound, 18 April 2013 - 10:43 AM.

Like I said, this comedy was hilarious but then again I was watching it when I was 9 or 10 until my teens. The show already has my heart with nostalgia as it was a backdrop to my childhood in to teens.

It's kind of like Police Academy. I watched that when I was too young over and over on VCR that was recorded from the TV. I watched it recently as an adult and it was quite sh*t bar a few moments. To think adults enjoyed it at a certain time is a little crazy but maybe it was good back then. Popular humour has evolved and tastes have changed.

I'd still enjoy Friends though but not as much. I can certainly see why my Dad hated it now.

I've moved on to Extras, The Office, Curb, Father Ted. Father Ted still stands up and is hilarious as an adult and not a young teen.

It's hard to watch Extras or The Office and then something with the sort of canned laughter or the exaggerated slap stick sort "I just-told-joke-did-you-get-it?" canned laughter of shows like Big Bang Theory. Or where they completely modify or break their character for the sake of a joke or how theatrical and animated American sitcoms are. There's no subtlety in a lot of the humour and the popular stuff like Big Bang Theory never really gives the viewer a sense that the producers know their audience is somewhat alive and intelligent. They always spell the jokes out. Whether it's with canned laughter or the completely animated and overstated style of acting.... going on a rant....sorry.

EDIt: On canned laughter, sometimes when a comedy is genuinely funny or clever or both it compliments how you are feeling and almost goes unnoticed. If the humour is not so clever, easy to understand and requires zero intelligence to understand or even make, then the canned laughter becomes obnoxious and sticks out like a sore thumb.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"Not Santa's balls!"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:26 AM Edited by El_Diablo, 19 April 2013 - 07:14 AM.

QUOTE (billy james @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 22:16)
I love the way you avoid...

just let it go.

not everyone enjoys Friends as much as you do.
get over it.

Rewas
  • Rewas

• Members
  • None
  • Best Snapmatic [Scenery] 2013

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:30 AM

They are too old for a comeback tbh. I'd rather wait for new sitcoms or rewatch old episodes of this show.

Flynny
  • Flynny

Where is Jessica Hyde?

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Chad

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:16 AM

I remain skeptical, would be interesting since I liked the show. They should do it one day though, like an anniversary special or something. Or a christmas special one year.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:19 AM

C'mon Billy. You're making a fool of yourself. It's not even the best comedy there ever was let alone the greatest show in history as you're saying. turn.gif

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 19:19)
C'mon Billy. You're making a fool of yourself. It's not even the best comedy there ever was let alone the greatest show in history as you're saying. turn.gif

I'm not saying its the "greatest show in history" I'm saying Diablo should give it a chance.

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 18:27)
I'm not saying its the "greatest show in history"

QUOTE (billy james)
why you don't like the BEST SHOW IN HISTORY

turn.gif

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:44 AM

I said best not greatest, there a big difference dude

Best = good show with flaws

Greatest = Pretty damn good with Nothing wrong with it

Linc.
  • Linc.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:54 AM

If that's how you think those two words work then I am worried about you, William.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

QUOTE (lzw3 @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 19:54)
If that's how you think those two words work then I am worried about you, William.

That would be funny if my real name were Billy

Harley
  • Harley

Cyclop 9

• The Precinct
  • None

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:23 AM

Am I the only one reading billy's posts in the voice of Sloth from The Goonies?

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 09:58 AM Edited by billy james, 19 April 2013 - 10:04 AM.

QUOTE (Harley @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 20:23)

I don't sound like a flipping retard.

Marlowe.
  • Marlowe.

I Still Jerk-off Manually

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:07 AM

QUOTE (billy james @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 19:58)
QUOTE (Harley @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 20:23)

I don't sound like a flipping retard.

Maybe not literally, but you're leaving very little room for interpretation in this thread.

Friends was a good show, neither the best or the worst; somewhere comfortably in the middle. I thing it was too cutesey and safe, it could have been riskier with some it's material. A lot like Modern Family today.

I would a one-off ten year anniversary special, but I don't think a full anniversary season is really a great idea. But NBC basically have nothing else to air, so it's no shock they would be forced to revert back to airing this, I suppose.

Corndog93
  • Corndog93

Boss

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

Seeing that the friends anniversary season is not true, shouldn't this be locked then

John The Grudge
  • John The Grudge

Soldier

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:47 PM

Even if they wanted to do it they couldn't. Courtnay Cox looks freaky with all the work she's had done and Lisa Kudrow looks older than the others. Honestly the only really talented people on it (of the main cast) were David Schwimmer and Matt LeBlanc and I can't see Schwimmer coming back.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users