Dragon's Dogma

53 replies to this topic
Booze
  • Booze

Backlashing with a bullet full of love

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:13 AM

On the PS3, you get more framerate drops and on the Xbox you get more screen-tearing. I can't say if it's as bad as the demo as I've never played it, but I've read that the screen-tearing at least is less prominent in the full game (on Xbox) than it is in the demo on that platform. Can't say anything about the PS3 version. It's just a very demanding game.

You'll unlock new skills (moves) and character upgrades along the way, which you can then assign to action buttons so you can create your own moveset. I haven't played Fighter yet, but all the classes I've played so far unlocked some particularly awesome skills towards the end.

Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:08 PM

I made the mistake and bought dragons dogma just a month before Dark Arisen came out..

Really like it tho

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Booze T @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 11:13)
On the PS3, you get more framerate drops and on the Xbox you get more screen-tearing. I can't say if it's as bad as the demo as I've never played it, but I've read that the screen-tearing at least is less prominent in the full game (on Xbox) than it is in the demo on that platform. Can't say anything about the PS3 version. It's just a very demanding game.

You'll unlock new skills (moves) and character upgrades along the way, which you can then assign to action buttons so you can create your own moveset. I haven't played Fighter yet, but all the classes I've played so far unlocked some particularly awesome skills towards the end.

Thanks. I played the PS3 demo. I think I'm gonna get it. I'll wait for a reply from another person before ordering it, just to confirm it.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:36 PM

You also might want to take a look at this article by Digital Foundry. It's my go-to site for technical analysis and comparisons and what my previous post is based on.

@Forzum: if you really like it, you could sell the original game and get Dark Arisen (it's not full priced and with the money deducted from selling DD, you'll end up paying a fair price for the extra content). Make sure you keep your save though! And I don't know if it's possible, but you could try keeping a new save on a cloud or flash drive or something, so you can start a new character with it whenever you want. The reason for this is because you get some nice bonuses if you import your DD save file.

The-King
  • The-King

[Rekt Intensifies]

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 01:12 PM

God damned shame it's a console exclusive, I watched some gameplay videos and read up a bit, got really excited, then disappointed when I realized I can't play it properly because of shortsighted developers.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

Defeated my first Dragon last night. It was epic!

I would post screenshots but I'm not using my facebook account. I hardly ever talk to my friends on it and I'm sure they'd all completely disown me if I started posting some dungeons and dragons sh*t. Shame really confused.gif .

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

QUOTE (Booze T @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 01:54)
So the Bitterblack Isle is as hard as they said it would be? What difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on Hard and I dread going there haha lol.gif .
Nice Assassin with stealthy pink hair. wink.gif

Thanks. biggrin.gif

Anyhow I'm playing on Normal and I tend to get my ass kicked now and then there, most normal enemies are fine
but some of the bosses are pretty strong. So on Hard it must be brutal.

People say that they've had trouble as high as Level 120-ish on GameFAQ's it's really as hard as they make it out to be.

AH64Hunter
  • AH64Hunter

Forking and dongles

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:49 PM

Bitterblack Isle can be hard or easy depending on which class you use, Warrior is the hardest class to beat it with.

When I fought the final boss at Lvl 200 or ∞ as Warrior, I was faced with an actual challenge. But when I played as a Sorcerer I was taking down huge chunks of his health with a fully charged Focus Bolt.
When I came back as assassin I killed him in both forms in under a minute.

The reason Warrior is hard is your attacks are slow but really powerful.
When you play with range you don't have to worry about missing with the attack because it's slow or being forced to recharge it because you were knocked off your feet.

Any message board like the one at GameFAQs is useful for trading for items,some people even just give them out for free.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:55 PM

Check out what I just got from my local supermarket...

user posted image

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (AH64Hunter @ Thursday, May 16 2013, 13:49)
Bitterblack Isle can be hard or easy depending on which class you use, Warrior is the hardest class to beat it with.

When I fought the final boss at Lvl 200 or ∞ as Warrior, I was faced with an actual challenge. But when I played as a Sorcerer I was taking down huge chunks of his health with a fully charged Focus Bolt.
When I came back as assassin I killed him in both forms in under a minute.

The reason Warrior is hard is your attacks are slow but really powerful.
When you play with range you don't have to worry about missing with the attack because it's slow or being forced to recharge it because you were knocked off your feet.

Any message board like the one at GameFAQs is useful for trading for items,some people even just give them out for free.

Yeah the GameFAQs comunity for both Systems, both Dark Arisen and the base game are great, I lurk on them and post occasionally under the name MrcTOtheJ (Aka same name just changed slightly lol). They allways seem willing to make trades (if not just give you things) as well as Hire pawns for RC and give tips as well. One of the better boards on that site.

And I could imagine how it'd be hard as a Warrior, while I haven't faced the final boss of Bitterblack yet and most likely won't for awhile, the attacks are slow, also factor in you only get three diffrent special attacks instead of the Usual Six as well which is a slight disadvantage to other vocations, IMO. Though they do deal allot of power my Step Brother played as one for a long time, and I have to say it was impressive. I've thought of making a Warrior as an alt, I've heard it makes for a challenge in some cases but can be fun none the less.

Anyhow I think after I NG+ again which won't be for awhile (I have allot planed for this run like switch up to a Sorceror for awhile and then go Mystic Knight full time finally) I'm going to try out speed run mode, see if I can hit that hour and a half mark to finish the game, some well placed port crystals should be able to do it.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:18 AM

Update:

This is what my character looks like currently:

user posted image

I didn't mean to make him look like Ezio in the armor of Brutus but it kind of happened...

Oh yeah, remember when I told you how you could just be strolling around, looking for treasure and stuff only to round a corner and BOOM:

I also fought my second Golem:

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 03:17 AM Edited by SweatyPa1ms, 19 May 2013 - 03:36 AM.

Booze - Don't worry about getting me that Longsword (Ardent Will) anymore because I have the Malignance. Instead though, could you get me the Thunder Kite Shield? That would be awesome colgate.gif icon14.gif .

I just realised we can't do it because of it being a Magick Shield and pawns can't be Mystic Knights sad.gif .

user posted image

NOT COOL! TOTALLY LAME!

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:02 AM

Well here's my update, I'm geting farther and farther into bitterblack isle.

I just had an intense fight with a Necromancer and his undead drake minion and I died...oh about 10 times, thankfully I had a crap load of Wakestones from farming awhile ago.

Would have been easier but they had some insanely strong attacks, as well as the fact I was running on next to no curiatives. Serah and her Pawn Luna where the only two to make it out of the fight alive. Thankfully in the next area there was a Riftstone I was able to use.

Also Serah's appearance changed so there may be some pics of mine coming in as well later tonight maybe. She also now has bright sky blue hair. (Think Bulma from DBZ)

@SweatyPa1ms Yeah I wish we could have hybird vocation pawns as well, but sadly we can't...I'd love to have a Mystic Knight or Magick Archer pawn.

@Booze T I rember when that same Chimera did that to me. Didn't end well for me though I was level 10...shouldn't have been in that area, and that Chimera taught me that. Came back a few levels later and showed it what's what.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:56 AM Edited by Booze T, 19 May 2013 - 11:53 AM.

The first Chimera I encountered one-shotted me with magic (been creeped out by the goat's sound ever since), after that I heavily worked on my magic resistance because I thought there was no way to dodge it. Turns out there actually is, if you pay attention (as shown in the video, I got out of the way of a lightning bolt way ahead of time).
Yeah, show me your pawn! Haha this is almost a bit like Pokemon tounge.gif

Sweaty: that shield isn't sold by Caxton anyway, it's random loot from a chest. I think your best bet would be to save right before the chest and keep reloading until you get it.

I encountered another Golem yesterday. They can be scary...

user posted image

Sweaty, I just realized that Dark Arisen does contain ALL the DLC that was released for Dragon's Dogma prior to it. Just check this page, on the bottom you can see what's included in Dark Arisen, which is EVERYTHING mentioned minus obviously the Rift Crystal packs.

I wonder why they didn't advertise that too clearly (I mean, it's not on the official site)?
Oh wait, maybe this is why: all the DLC combined costs almost $37. The original game cost $60 back in the day. Dark Arisen costs $40. So early fans of the game that loved it so much that they bought the game when it came out plus all the DLC are set back a grand total of $137 while new players can have all of that for a meager 40 bucks. That is seriously f*cked up.
You might want to incorporate that into the first post, so Dark Arisen owners aren't fooled into buying DLC packs (like me).

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:30 PM

Yeah the DLC is there, and wow I did save allot of money. Since I waited on geting the game
untill Dark Arisen, as much as I liked my short time with the base game.

Yeah the DLC is good early on, but it costs a fortune, though I did get the Captain's armor for looks alone
but it dosen't contend with the other armor I have so I'm not wearing it on bitterblack isle, that'd be a good way to get one shoted.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:33 AM Edited by Booze T, 21 May 2013 - 12:45 AM.

Don't mind us, just bullying a Cyclops.

user posted image

I also had a rendezvous with Grigori. Turns out he's actually quite a nice guy.

Forzum
  • Forzum

Fossy

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:49 PM

Did players with the normal Dragons Dogma get an upgrade to Dark Arisen? Just wondering since my trophies list shows as Dark Arisen now and not just Dragons Dogma.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

QUOTE (Forzum @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 16:49)
Did players with the normal Dragons Dogma get an upgrade to Dark Arisen? Just wondering since my trophies list shows as Dark Arisen now and not just Dragons Dogma.

No, you would have to buy it. Most games seem to do that (with trophies/achievements) when DLC is released. Atleast on xbox anyway.

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 01:25 AM

QUOTE (Booze T @ Monday, May 20 2013, 16:33)
Don't mind us, just bullying a Cyclops.

user posted image

I also had a rendezvous with Grigori. Turns out he's actually quite a nice guy.

I have to agree with you on [SPOILERS]Grigori[/SPOILERS]

That said, sorry those pictures aren't up yet, I'll upload them tomorrow at school since it'll be quicker, provided I find my USB drive.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:15 AM Edited by Booze T, 23 May 2013 - 05:30 PM.

I just beat the final boss of the regular game. This game just blew my mind. I can't really talk much about it or I'll spoil it, but that must've been one of the most impressive game endings I've experienced.

Edit: because some people have been asking for more footage, here is a dragon fight (may contain slight end-game spoilers):

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:28 PM

That was cool as f*ck. I can't wait for the last boss... And post-game... And Bitterblack Isle... And NG+...

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 27 May 2013 - 10:53 PM Edited by Booze T, 28 May 2013 - 09:29 AM.

I just killed the Ur-dragon twice and am about to enter the Bitterblack Isles. Wish me luck...

Oh yeah, I got some new gear which makes my character look a bit like Icarus (or at least how he would look like in my imagination):

user posted image

Edit: This game has probably offered me the best value since GTA 4, possibly the best value of any single player game I've played (but it's still competing with San Andreas). I just looked at the clock and I've got 170 hours. And I'm still captivated, this game still feels fresh, especially after entering the Bitterblack Isle. And I've only really played the "strider"-like classes (Strider, Ranger and Assassin). I'm hearing good things about the fighter and mage classes as well, but that'll probably be for another playthrough (or two tounge.gif ).

Jedi.
  • Jedi.

Now, shall we begin?

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 08 June 2013 - 11:46 PM

I'll start posting some screenshots and videos of my character. Here's 2 quick ones.

Jon Snow sh*tting bricks prior to fighting a Hydra.

user posted image

Jon Snow staring that f*cker down.

user posted image

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:50 AM

Nice job, he looks pretty accurate already. Can't wait till you find some fitting armor for him smile.gif

So here's what I've been up to: yeah, the Bitterblack Isle really is a different level from anything the main game offers and it's clearly meant for veterans of the series that already found the best equipment and fought the hardest enemies. The enemies in BBI are more ferocious, but there's also VERY powerful equipment to be found, that would make you way OP for the main game. So my choice to leave it for last was the right one and I am thoroughly enjoying myself.

I recently learned how to do an awesome countermove that makes your character deflect an enemy attack, jump on top of his shoulders and slice his neck (with both daggers):

user posted image

The best thing is it works on enemies of ALL SIZES. I've done it on cyclopses and dragons to name a few. On a big enemy you jump up the body part it tried to hit you with and take a chunk of his health. It's not as damaging as you would hope, but you feel like a total badass if you pull it off.

user posted image

I also leveled a bit as a Warrior. You have one particular powerful move that takes ages to wind up but does a lot of damage:

user posted image
F*CK YOU DRAGON!

And here's my first encounter with a cursed dragon. They're nasty SOB's. Sweaty is gonna laugh at how pissed I get at Syd (switched out Sydelle for Syd, hoping he'd be less retarded but I guess it runs in the family), but as you can see, he redeemed himself a bit in the end:

In case it wasn't clear, that fight was cut down heavily. It actually took me over 40 minutes to kill that damn dragon, that's why I had to sing the victory tune when the game didn't play it for me tounge.gif

Here's one last shot for the road. Take my word for it, in this situation you can be quite sure of the fact that you're F*CKED:

user posted image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users