53 replies to this topic
SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:39 AM

DRAGON'S DOGMA

I'm not really surprised this game doesn't have a topic as I don't think it's too popular. The Japanese don't know how to market their games anymore over here so that's probably a factor.

Anyway, I hadn't paid much attention to it either until a couple of weeks ago when I played the demo. Then I really started paying attention. Like the reviewer says, the boss battles are stunning and the combat it pretty amazing too. It's like an arcade version of Dark Souls in my opinion. There's a new version coming out (26th April) called Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen which is the original game + a sh*t load of new content (including Japanese voice-overs) and it's under 20 on release. They've fixed everything the guy complains about in this review so I am truly hyped for it. The one thing that lets the game down is that it doesn't have co-op unfortunately. To be honest its a f*cking travesty. If ever a game deserved co-op it was this one. They are probably holding it back for the sequel. Typical games industry tactics. It does have a MP of sorts in that you can trade pawns (companions) which is a nice touch. I thought it might be worth making this discussion topic as it is an RPG, so I'm sure people can give each other advice and share stories. We could even share pawns.

Here's some insightful videos on the game if you would like to know more...

Wait until you see tornado and the asteroid strike and you'll know this is something special.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

I was going to get this game but I heard that the map is really big with no fast travel, and also the enemies spawn in the EXACT same spot every time, this happened in Dead Island too which I didn't like.

I cant watch any videos so I don't know if these have been fixed or not.

With that being said though, I will probably get it eventually because the fighting system and enemies look really good. Apparently its strengths are the boss battles.

Jedi.
  • Jedi.

Shh, no tears. Only tits.

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (SweatyPa1ms @ Tuesday, Apr 16 2013, 01:39)
I hadn't paid much attention to it either until a couple of weeks ago when my lovely friend who lives in a far superior place (and who's better at poker) told me about it and then I played the demo.

Yeah, it's looks pretty good. Not sure it will be everyone's cup of tea but the people who like it will love it.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:51 PM Edited by SweatyPa1ms, 17 April 2013 - 12:03 AM.

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Tuesday, Apr 16 2013, 15:28)
I was going to get this game but I heard that the map is really big with no fast travel, and also the enemies spawn in the EXACT same spot every time.

I don't know about the enemy locations but I know the fast travel system has been fixed for the new version (Dark Arisen). This is why I'm hyped for it. That was the thing that apparently brought this game down the most but now they've sorted it out like a good developer should. Better late than never. The second biggest complaint (A.I talking too much) has also been fixed so this game should be amazing.

-----

I'll probably keep updating the thread with videos and information as the release day draws closer and hopefully continue to converse with some of you peeps that are buying Dark Arisen and/or already own the original game.

Booze
  • Booze

Backlashing with a bullet full of love

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 18 April 2013 - 05:59 AM

I just borrowed the PS3 version off a friend. Gonna get a feel for it before I buy Dark Arisen for Xbox. I love Dark Souls, Shadow of the Colossus and team based RPG's and this looks to be a mixture of all that so that's promising. I never picked it up because I heard that some of the flaws just hold it back too much but it sounds like they're addressing a lot of it with the re-release. icon14.gif

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:16 PM

You lucky bastard! I hope you enjoy it anyway and post your first impressions here on the thread. Here's some more videos:

Shogun Of Japan
  • Shogun Of Japan

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Should I skip Dragon Dogma and get Dark Arisen? Also is it easier than Dark Souls ?

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:27 PM Edited by SweatyPa1ms, 24 April 2013 - 02:17 AM.

QUOTE (Shogun Of Japan @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 16:22)
Should I skip Dragon Dogma and get Dark Arisen? Also is it easier than Dark Souls ?

Yes and yes smile.gif icon14.gif .

-----

I just found this on the youtubez whilst looking for a proper review...

Funny sh*t. I too, really liked the main menu music on the original game but thought the sample they used was too short. I would still prefer it to this though. Oh well.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:11 AM

I just completed the first couple of quests. It was all fairly straight-forward, "collect so many flowers", "kill so many animals" etc. Got stuck on only one quest though. It was on the notice-board and it read:

"If there is one thing I cannot abide, it's mice! Even just to think of them makes me ill. The other day I took the number of rodents in my home and tabulated their number in all the realm... I nearly fainted. In any case, I want them dead! As many as you can manage."

Then it tells me to kill 7 rats. Location: ?
Either it's my misunderstanding of the English language and he wants 7 rats killed, wherever they may be in all the realm (not sure why he'd care) or he just forgot to tell me where his house is... notify.gif

Anyway, not long after that I fought a cyclops and a hydra. The hydra in particular was pretty awesome as it moved about, destroyed structures and ate people.
I just made my first pawn and called her "My Wench". You have to give them an online alias for other people to see, so I called her "Fanny". I made her a mage, so hopefully she'll heal and buff the party. Hopefully... I had to answer a series of questions that will affect her A.I. behavior, but some were a bit cryptic so I hope I did it right. So with myself a strider (thief-like class) and her a support mage I could sure use a tank and maybe a damage dealer or two (not sure how many NPC's can accompany you). Time to shop around smile.gif

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Sounds like you're having fun. You should totally record the next boss fight you have icon14.gif .

I hope my copy is here by Friday. It would be so cool if it came tomorrow but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Beware Boozingtons...

user posted image

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 24 April 2013 - 03:20 PM

One of my friends on PS3 is actually playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen right now.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

It's probably easy and he's just a mong. I wrote this in the comments section...

"Kevin Vanord - I don't understand how a game that was an 8.0 has become a 7.0 when they've kept the original game, improved on it and given us DLC which although is hard, looks pretty cool. Your logic is flawed."

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 30 April 2013 - 11:43 AM

Sweaty, maybe you can answer this for me as you've probably played more of the game than I have by now: is there a way to use curative items without going into a tedious menu? It wouldn't be that bad, if it weren't for that stupid system that decreases your max lifebar every time you get hit, preventing mages from fully healing you and forcing you to take curative items.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, too busy playing this amazing game that no-one seems to really give a sh*t about. Here's some more information for people kinda new to the game...

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:37 AM

Was actually looking to pick this up yesterday. Gives me an excuse to dust off the 360 after all.

How open-world is it exactly? Is it TES-style, or more restricted?

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:24 AM Edited by Mr.c TO the J, 14 May 2013 - 03:26 AM.

@The Killa

Open world wise, it's go where you want when you want pretty much, less points of intrest and dungeons than TES though the ones it does have are fun IMO, and with Dark Arisen, it's amazing. Most of the NPC's quests are similar to Skyrim, the notice board quests are pretty similar to the misc tasks in Skyrim, things like kill X in all of the map things.

Story is okay nothing amazing, but it's okay IMO, the combat is where the game shines IMO. Another place it shines is the companion system known as Pawns you make your own that people can rent if you have online (Sadly I don't) and you can rent theirs it's pretty good, I grew pretty attached to mine.

I picked up DA on the release date after playing the Vanilla awhile back on my Step Brother's 360 (mines on the PS3) and it's been my main game the past two weeks, though Max Payne 3 has been taking some of it's time as well since all of the new GTAV info.

I say get it sad to see less GTAF-ers are likeing the game, GameFAQ's has a good comunity (No really a good comunity on GameFAQ's) that I post a bit in but I've been posting less since I've been playing it less.

It's my second place GOTY of 2012 I think, it's a great game. For those thinking about geting it, do not go to bitterblack isle untill you're like level 50+ (The expansion area) it's hardcore hard which is a good thing IMO not many games have some difficulty to them now-a-days.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (The Killa @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 02:37)

It's open world but it is kinda restrictive in the way the world is set out and the strange fast travel system you have to get used to but you'll adapt to it if you're a seasoned RPG player. It's all part of the experience in my opinion and I haven't had any problems with it yet. It's in no way linear anyway if that's what you're asking.

You'll find quite a few similarities to Skyrim and other games in Dragon's Dogma but it differs enough to be judged on its own merits as it has plenty of things to offer that no other game does. It's highly underrated and underplayed. Disappointingly I think its down to people misunderstanding it and not even knowing of it's existence with it being poorly marketed and trying to fit into an already saturated market (of RPG's). You should definitely get the Dark Arisen version if you do decide to pick it up icon14.gif .

The Killa
  • The Killa

Diet Water Please

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to pick it up sometime soon based purely on the fact it just seems like a game straight up my alley. I'm probably one of the few who loathed fast-traveling. I never use it unless completely necessary.

Are the pawns only useable if you have online? I dont use Xbox live.

Jedi.
  • Jedi.

Shh, no tears. Only tits.

• Angels of Death MC
  • England

Posted 14 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

QUOTE (The Killa @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 05:32)
Thanks for the info. I'm going to pick it up sometime soon based purely on the fact it just seems like a game straight up my alley. I'm probably one of the few who loathed fast-traveling. I never use it unless completely necessary.

Are the pawns only useable if you have online? I dont use Xbox live.

Nay. You only need LIVE if you wish to import someone else's pawn into your own game.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Alright, just an update on how I fared thus far. I decided to play on Hard, despite horror stories about ridiculous stamina consumption. This is me when I first set out on my journey:

user posted image

Shut up, I just bought everything in the village's shop that gave me the most protection tounge.gif

After I arrived at the Encampment, I traded in that ridiculous head piece for a cape:

user posted image

And here are my first two bossfights. I expected them to be crazy hard, but they weren't too bad (obviously don't watch if you don't want spoilers)

Boss 1

Boss 2

Once I left that place, I found out what Hard Mode does. I got one-shotted by everything tounge.gif . Luckily I'm a Strider so I could just stick to ranged attacks for the time being. Once I got the dodge roll and double jump abilities things became easier.

Anyway, after a lot of derping (read: dying) I made it to the big city:

user posted image

And no, I'm not taking a leak.

In the city, you can change your class... POOF! Sorcery-man!

user posted image

I also decided to teach Sydelle (my pawn) the subtleties of archery:

user posted image

Shes a quick learner.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• The Yardies

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

It looks Okay, but I might skip it for Deep Down (DD) which is coming to next gen consoles and was promoed at the PS4 announcement event. Some are saying it's the sequel to Dragon's Dogma because it's from Capcom and has the initials DD.

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:54 AM

Your logic eludes me... You think Dragon's Dogma doesn't look good enough for you to enjoy? I think it pushes the current consoles to the maximum (it's even letterboxed so it doesn't have to render as many pixels, but you forget about that after a while). Some textures look a bit low-res, but those are usually the textures that don't really matter. The characters and especially the enemies look amazing. The world looks very realistic as well, with nice lighting and shadows. I just love how this game presents fantasy in a realistic way. Some reviewers complain about the bland color palette, but I think that just adds to the realism. You really get the feeling that you're walking through a real-world landscape and then BOOM! A f*cking Chimera attaks your ass!

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:45 PM

QUOTE (SweatyPa1ms @ Monday, May 13 2013, 19:29)
QUOTE (The Killa @ Tuesday, May 14 2013, 02:37)

It's open world but it is kinda restrictive in the way the world is set out and the strange fast travel system you have to get used to but you'll adapt to it if you're a seasoned RPG player. It's all part of the experience in my opinion and I haven't had any problems with it yet. It's in no way linear anyway if that's what you're asking.

You'll find quite a few similarities to Skyrim and other games in Dragon's Dogma but it differs enough to be judged on its own merits as it has plenty of things to offer that no other game does. It's highly underrated and underplayed. Disappointingly I think its down to people misunderstanding it and not even knowing of it's existence with it being poorly marketed and trying to fit into an already saturated market (of RPG's). You should definitely get the Dark Arisen version if you do decide to pick it up icon14.gif .

I think you did better job of explaining it than I did.

It's a great game, sad that so few people play it.

@Booze T, lol you have to wear whatever makes you stronger.

Anyhow I picked up where I left off again today, with Serah (my new main, was Rothgar after my Skyrim main when he was a dude in my first run, switched it up in NG+ to a short pink haired Elf looking lady, because I can lol.) and am currently grinding up my skills to go farther in Bitterblack Isle. (The Dark Arisen expansion area) I'm an assassin still (what I've been playing as since I was able to change first game) which I love the variety of. I may switch over to a Sorceror for awhile to increase my magic stat later as I want to go to a Mystic Knight, a bit min max-ish I know but I want it to be silightly good at magic when I make the change.

SweatyPa1ms
  • SweatyPa1ms

Flesh vehicle

• Angels of Death MC
  • None

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:29 AM

I'm level 47 and just walked into Soulflayer Canyon for the first time... It didn't go well. I was instantly swarmed with Snow Harpies which knocked my whole group out for the count including myself. Snoring away, I see one of them pick up one of my support pawns and drop them into the canyon before seeing one do the same to me. It was so dark. I got owned. Both my support pawns were sent back to the rift and me and Ser Jorah had to fight our way out with no curatives or any magic. I was unprepared and stoned. It cost me but it was highly entertaining and I like to think that those pawns are dead forever now and I wont get them back from the rift. They belong to the canyon now...

Almost max vocation for Strider now. I'm really looking forward to playing as a Fighter but my stats are going to be proper f*cked with me me playing as a Sorceress for so long confused.gif .

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

You gotta show those harpies a little love, Sweaty.

user posted image

Anyway, Branacane started playing so I decided to hire his pawn and show him the ropes. However, I don't think him and Ser Jorah are getting along:

user posted image

Branacane
  • Branacane

=A= Sgt at Arms

• Angels of Death MC

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

I have to say I have been loving the game so far, and yes my Pawn does look a tad strange but he does the job for me icon14.gif

So this morning I left the capital and whilst out hunting deer under the recommendation of Ser Jorah, we were first attacked by Saurian's and after fending a fair few of those off we started to head back. Then I realised it started getting dark so after putting my lantern on I notice odd cloud looking things, I had no idea what these were until they started attacking us and seemingly raising zombies and skeletons. The only guy that could do damage to the ghost things was Rook and he kept bloody dying, so I decided to just try to run back to the capital. All in all not a very productive start to the day icon14.gif

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

You're still using Rook? Trade that schmuck in for someone your own level, or hire my Sydelle. She knows a thing or two about magic. Also, if you let someone enchant your weapons, you'll be able to deal damage to those ghost-things (Phantoms?). They're immune to physical damage. I always have at least one enchant skill slotted for Sydelly (usually fire).

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

• Members
  • None

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:08 AM

Yeah trade Rook in for someone ASAP, he isn't that good, poorly equiped only a level 6, etc.

For those Phantoms use either a Fire Boon, a Fire Enchanted weapon a Fire Spell, or a Holy Boon/Enchanted weapon.

Any magic will effect them but those are the best IIRC. Actually if you're going into anywhere that undead may roam, take
a mage or a Sorcerer that knows Holy Boon with you, trust me it'll make things flow better. (Though Fireboon is acceptable)

Anyhow this is my Arisen, Serah. Level 60 Assassin currently geting her ass kicked in Bitterblack Isle.

user posted image

Screen looked better on the XMB menu of the Playstation but whatever, you get the point.

Man I wish I had better internet so you guys could rent Luna my pawn, she's a Level 60 Strider alas I can't connect to the PSN, unless I had some good conectivity and not the Dial up I'm on right now. (Good internet costs a fortune out this backwoods area)

Booze
  • Booze

• Angels of Death MC
  • Netherlands

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:54 AM

So the Bitterblack Isle is as hard as they said it would be? What difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on Hard and I dread going there haha lol.gif .
Nice Assassin with stealthy pink hair. wink.gif

Anyway, update:

Went on a quest, encountered a Chimera surrounded by wolves, harpies and goblins. Picked off as many as I could without agro-ing the Chimera, but the fight was inevitable. Here's what a Chimera looks like right before the lion part rips you a new asshole:

user posted image

Luckily Sweaty's pawn (Ser Jorah) engaged beast mode:

user posted image

Which then gave the whole party the courage to face the foul beast:

user posted image

The kill gave me new-found confidence:

user posted image

Which was only mere hours later crushed by the scariest thing I've encountered in a video game in a long time (believe me, the video does no justice to the experience, but at least you get an idea):

rotipuj
  • rotipuj

That's all I got

• Members

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:35 AM

So I've been thinking of getting Dark Arisen but I'm not so sure. I played the demo and it seemed quite enjoyable but there were a lot of frame rate drops and clipping issues. Does this exist in the final version too? Another thing was that I could only attack 3 times with a weapon. Do we get more combos or something? Thanks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users