12 replies to this topic
universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:10 PM

Hey amigos.

Just recently, I found out about the wonderful goodness that is "New Kids". In case you don't know, it's a Dutch comedy show about a bunch of antisocial ravers with mullets who have various antics. Sure, I can't understand it without subtitles, but it's just so damn funny, I want to share it's concept with the world, or at least to those who speak English. Therefore, I want to make some kind of web-series, which is basically an Americanized version of New Kids. You know, they'll speak English, take place in America, eat American foods, but the concept will still be the same: antisocial youths having wild antics.

Anyway, what would I need to do to carry this plan out and see it through? Obviously, I'm going to need a camera, and some people to play the actors. Sure, I can get my friends to do it, but I don't have much friends, seeing as all I do is sit in my room, playing GTA and building model trains. I'll also need good editing software, etc., which I'm unfamiliar with. Other than that, does anybody have any tips, suggestions, ideas, etc. to make this as good as possible?

Also, my apologies if I posted this in the wrong section blush.gif

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• Members
  • Netherlands
  • Best Snapmatic [Character] 2013

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:00 PM

Duuude, you can't copy New Kids. It's too funny. Cool that you found out about it though!

You should watch the movies. There are 2 of 'em, and there might be English subtitles!
They're New Kids Turbo and New Kids Nitro.

The trailers are already funny as hell:

Look, if you want i could translate it for you, so you add subs to it. But that's a lot of qork, so i suggest we can start out with the shorter clips. That wouldn't be too much trouble tbh.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:09 PM

Thanks for replying Johhny. Not too often I post here though. I'm not trying to directly "copy" it, more or less Americanize it, like what The Office did when NBC made their own version of it. I saw bits and pieces of New Kids Turbo on Youtube, and I read the plot summary on Wikipedia. I've seen the trailer for New Kids Nitro, but I haven't seen much more of it. From what I could pick up, it was about Zombies.

What I'm thinking of is getting some friends who share my same love for New Kids, and take some of the jokes from the original series, and re-do them in English. Also, we could possibly make up our own skits using what personalities and characters we make up for the Americanized version.

Also, I doubt we'll call the series "New Kids", but we cite it as one of our inspirations, much like how "Housos" is based off of "Trailer Park Boys"

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:21 PM

Oh i get ya bro, and i wish you good luck with your project!
But i do suggest you go and watch both movies, i searched quickly and there seem to be English subtitles smile.gif

I do have some pointers for ya. First off, they speak in a heavily exagerated Southern accent (Brabants dialect, which is the southern region of Holland) so it's a dead give-away to use southern accents. I think that would be the perfect choice.

And, in case you didn't know, kut means c*nt, or pussy. And mongool is mongoloid, retard. smile.gif So kut mongool is basically the equivalent of f*cking retard.
You know, the reason New Kids is so popular here, is because they use a lot of Southern dialect and wording. It's a heavy accent they use and they play these crude hicks. That's the gist of it anyway.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (Johnny Playert @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 14:21)
Oh i get ya bro, and i wish you good luck with your project!
But i do suggest you go and watch both movies, i searched quickly and there seem to be English subtitles smile.gif

I do have some pointers for ya. First off, they speak in a heavily exagerated Southern accent (Brabants dialect, which is the southern region of Holland) so it's a dead give-away to use southern accents. I think that would be the perfect choice.

And, in case you didn't know, kut means c*nt, or pussy. And mongool is mongoloid, retard. smile.gif So kut mongool is basically the equivalent of f*cking retard.
You know, the reason New Kids is so popular here, is because they use a lot of Southern dialect and wording. It's a heavy accent they use and they play these crude hicks. That's the gist of it anyway.

Thanks amigo, I'll try to get my grubby hands on a hold of the movies so I can watch them!

I don't think exaggerating my accent in my remake of it would work that well. Although I do live in Florida, which is geographically part of the U.S. South, pretty much everybody I know have no southern accents, so that's out of the question. I've got a little bit of a lisp though, so that's kinda similar to Rikkert. Keep in mind, though, I'm not trying to replicate the show to a "T", I'm just trying to spread it's good word to America.

And their slang is pretty damn close to the slang here, except instead of calling people who are retared "Mongoloid", we call them "Aspies". We'll still be crude hicks, though! tounge2.gif

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Hahah, sounds good man! I'm kinda excited to see what you come up with!

But i liked the idea of spreading the actual New Kids upon you 'Mericans. I seriously suggest we start looking for HD's with English subs for you guys to enjoy! I bet if you watch it then you'll appreciate it A LOT more smile.gif

I did come across some subbed trailers!

LOL 'Nice job kut!' Hahahahah

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:58 PM

This sounds quite interested. I love the americanizing of The Office, so I'm curious to see what you come up with! icon14.gif

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:06 PM

Seriously dudes, watch the subbed trailers. the translations check out.
I'm actually excited you guys can watch it now as well. It was a major hit back then. People still reference it. Verrekte mongool, jonge.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (Johnny Playert @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 15:06)
Seriously dudes, watch the subbed trailers. the translations check out.
I'm actually excited you guys can watch it now as well. It was a major hit back then. People still reference it. Verrekte mongool, jonge.

Do they still show it, or have they stopped?

Also, I've been thinking of having an opening/closing sequence similar to the New Kids's one, where all the main characters sit around a car. As for the music, I've thought of two choices:

Either this, from 1:32-1:42:

Or this, 0:31-0:42

As you can tell, the protagonists will be ravers tounge.gif

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

^ Hmmm... tough one, they're both good. I'd go for the first one imo!

And they don't really show it anymore, it started out as a web sketch, but around the time the movies came CC started showing the skits.

btw, they started out with random, wacky sketches, not neccesarily the characters they do now. They later stuck with the Maaskantje posse. It was actually called New Kids On The Block.

Here's an example:

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

^Oh wow dude, that skit was f*ckin nuts! I'll definitely try to incorporate some non-sequitor humor in my series, like for example, one of the dudes comes in with a model train, another one of the dudes examines it, and then totally destroys it, to which the dude who brought the train in is in tears. That should be a good enough skit tounge.gif

Johnny Playert
  • Johnny Playert

BIGGOS_010

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

That sounds good! You know, the more random it is the funnier it gets. icon14.gif

There are loads more of those, just look 'em up!

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:21 PM

QUOTE (Johnny Playert @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 16:06)
That sounds good! You know, the more random it is the funnier it gets. icon14.gif

There are loads more of those, just look 'em up!

That I'm doing, mi amigo!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users