Photo

Car damage

74 replies to this topic
Bmike904
  • Bmike904

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (poklane @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:00)

I hated SR3 driving, it was way to easy

This icon14.gif

GTAfan786
  • GTAfan786

Gangsta

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:44 PM

QUOTE (gtaTeamMichael @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:50)
QUOTE (Jantsu92 @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:35)
QUOTE (gtaTeamMichael @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 10:55)
It should improve.

If anything needs changing, I think the cars should be changed. SR3 had great driving mechanics except you couldn't 'hang' onto a drift, you turned sharply and the turning was good (better than GTA IV's, SR3's entire driving mechanics were) except SR3 had a problem with drifting and brake-turning.

GTA V should have SR3 style of driving with: turns that realistically drift, and reversing that can reverse sharp and narrowly/tightly, not widely.

H*ll no!
SR3 driving physics is awful. The cars feel weightless and like they're on rails. GTA IV has the best driving physics I've seen in any sandbox game.

I liked GTA IV damage model but it could still be improved. There should be more parts falling apart of the cars when you crash heavily. In GTA IV only hood and doors fell apart. It would be awesome if bumpers and tires were able to fall apart when you crash.

I'm saying GTA V driving should be like SR3, not the damage. SR3 damage sucks.

WHAT? Are you f*cking stupid? The driving physics in SR3 ARE THE WORST IN AN OPEN WORLD GAME. confused.gif

TheMisanthrope
  • TheMisanthrope

Idiots, idiots everywhere.

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (gtaTeamMichael @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:55)
QUOTE (mr6plow9 @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:53)
QUOTE (gtaTeamMichael @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:50)
I'm saying GTA V driving should be like SR3, not the damage. SR3 damage sucks.

Both the damage and driving in SR3 suck. And the drifting is as far from realistic as you can get.

Why do they suck????

How do they suck?
Well for one it's still way too arcade like. They feel as though the cars weigh little to nothing. It just doesn't fit with GTA. SR3 was a fun game but driving has always been it's downfall for me. At least they made cars go a little faster than SR and SR2. But it still lacks something. But that is only MY opinion.

And the damage was well done in GTA IV, if they could improve it a little more it'd be that more exciting when you get into a high speed accident.
But if they leave it the same I still won't be disapointed.

GTAGuy
  • GTAGuy

Muten Roshi

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:14 AM

QUOTE (Jantsu92 @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 18:16)

Steering and braking in GTA IV was fine. Normal cars in real life doesn't handle really well at high speeds and braking distances can be very long at high speeds.
More realistic car handling is better. Hopefully they don't change it too much for GTA V.
In multiplayer races it's always good fun to see those kids trying to brake way too late in corners and crashing into buildings.

Good point. I suppose the simple nature of the densely packed roads and sharp corners in Liberty City makes cornering and braking more difficult. In a more open game world like what GTAV will have this wouldn't be as big of an issue.

GTA564
  • GTA564

gta>

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

Yes I would like to see some changes

SunflowerSeed
  • SunflowerSeed

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:10 AM

I want it so the crashes are realistic like in Mafia 2 where if you crash hard enough you lose a bit of health. Also the car will get scrunched up and stuff instead of just a little dented

V8 Engine
  • V8 Engine

Peon

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:16 AM

QUOTE (hhamzah99 @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 06:59)
i liked the san andreas way of driving biggrin.gif ?

Yes

InternetKillTV
  • InternetKillTV

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:20 AM

It should improve.

If anything needs changing, I think the cars should be changed. SR3 had great driving mechanics except you couldn't 'hang' onto a drift, you turned sharply and the turning was good (better than GTA IV's, SR3's entire driving mechanics were) except SR3 had a problem with drifting and brake-turning.

GTA V should have SR3 style of driving with: turns that realistically drift, and reversing that can reverse sharp and narrowly/tightly, not widely.

Have to disagree with you there. I find IV's driving to be far superior. SR's driving fits its style of game but is too arcadey for my taste. Each to their own though.

Meezarawcks
  • Meezarawcks

You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 03:58 AM

user posted image

Damage looks similar but im sure it will be tweaked to be just right for the feel of V

StraightedgeHardcore
  • StraightedgeHardcore

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (Meezarawcks @ Monday, Apr 15 2013, 03:58)
user posted image

Damage looks similar but im sure it will be tweaked to be just right for the feel of V

Damage is looking good, though! icon14.gif

Meezarawcks
  • Meezarawcks

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:03 AM

QUOTE (StraightedgeHardcore @ Monday, Apr 15 2013, 04:01)
user posted image

I, for one, have nothing bad to say about the game what so ever right now.

StraightedgeHardcore
  • StraightedgeHardcore

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE (Meezarawcks @ Monday, Apr 15 2013, 04:03)
QUOTE (StraightedgeHardcore @ Monday, Apr 15 2013, 04:01)
user posted image

I, for one, have nothing bad to say about the game what so ever right now.

Yep, I'm very optimistic! smile.gif

Meezarawcks
  • Meezarawcks

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:16 AM Edited by Meezarawcks, 15 April 2013 - 04:20 AM.

Another good example:

user posted image

And in this image it looks like the rear light there is completely torn off:

user posted image

StraightedgeHardcore
  • StraightedgeHardcore

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (Meezarawcks @ Monday, Apr 15 2013, 04:16)
Another good example:

user posted image

Yeah and another shot

user posted image

MrcTOtheJ
  • MrcTOtheJ

Cleaning the Trash since '94

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 April 2013 - 04:57 AM

I think GTAIV’s damage, both visually and effectively (basically how it effects the cars performance) was a step in the right direction, but I do have a few gripes/ideas for improvement.

1. Maping of the paint Scratches: Pretty straight forward. I'm sure a few, if not all of you
noticed that when the sheetmetal was severly warped that those paint scratches appeared
as if floating off of the car, a minor annoyance at best but if it can be fixed...I'd love to see it fixed.

2. Effects on Car preformance: So when you got a wheel jamed up in the well it effected handleing, which
I personally loved. I'd like to see it taken a step further, nothing to dramatic, just make it easier/shorter to
get that way, not to the point where ever fast hit would do it, also other effects such as the car not going as
fast due to the engine stugleing (I rember the sound of the car's engine knocking when heavily damaged in IV but did it acutally effect preformace?), or the gears being shot would be lovely as well. Nothing to dramatic
just the car showing some signs of being severly abused.

3. Roofs: Okay that may be a confuseing title, so I'll explain. While this is less of a damage and more of a player thing, I rember times that when my car got horrendously damaged and the roof line...sank dramaticly Niko, Luis', or Johnny's heads would stick out slightly when you got in the car. Okay now this is a small gripe, since the only times this happened is when I played 'Squish the car to see how bad I can get it' by slaming an APC or a Semi, or other large vehicle to smash a car into a Wall over and over, it was still...awkward, basically make it so that when the roof is next to nothing we can't get in the car. Again small gripe, and if it dosen't happen I won't complain as it did provide some slight comedic releif.

Besides that the improvements I've wanted have been displayed thus far, and it's looked to be better than GTAIV, and is a further step into direction it was going with IV, so I'm happy as can be really.

Ghetto Boy
  • Ghetto Boy

Loced Out Gangsta Set Trippin' Banga

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:33 AM

bonnets (hoods) flying off too easily. take a bit of damage to the front & half way down the street at 1/2 speed it just peels off

diss86
  • diss86

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 12:53 PM

I think that car deformation when hitting a wall or another car should be a bit more realistic than in IV.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 01:59 PM

It should improve.

I hate SR3s driving, too arcade-y and incredibly boring. The cars in GTA IV actually took some skill to drive, and that's what I loved about them.

TheMarkofZollo
  • TheMarkofZollo

Snitch

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:58 PM

@gtaTeamMichael: SR3's driving was terrible, it was realistic in line with the unlimited gears. You throw a car into a corner and it just sticks and turns instantly. A minor improvement over previous GTA style but nowhere near as good as IV.
IV was probably the best handling I can think of in a game, the 'improved handling' mods don't do a lot for me.
Like Jantsu92 posted real cars act quite like they do in IV, they are not all supercars with uber-grip tyres like most games portray.
That said I really enjoyed SR3 as something different, especially the quality appearance of the city.

BOT: the damage in IV was a step forward, a leap for open world games but now is a little dated (purely because it has been around now for years, part of the detriment to jumping ahead as such). At the moment it is just reduction of the local model area, denting into this to show an impact. To move forward they need to allow the force to pass through the body bending and crumpling parts as it dissipates. The obvious example is the bonnet (hood), in a real head-on crash it will usually bend and fold outward as the engine bay reduces in length. In IV it just crumples in.
This along with more parts detaching at certain points like lights and bumpers after hits in the bracket areas say. Not like some games where a hit to the front e.g. just makes all panels in the area detach.

BeamNG (I know has been mentioned before and is not at all feasible in a game yet) is a great leap forward for damage simulation and can't wait for it to release and for way future games to use similar.

CrnaStrela
  • CrnaStrela

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:34 PM

Did anyone noticed how collision dont affect speed of a car?

Hvitdverg
  • Hvitdverg

ExTRAZZ

• Members

Posted 15 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Enter this code on steam they said.
RPG2T-3J89V-RI03Y
Bioshock 1: full game
Test with O and 0

JBanton
  • JBanton

Mr. Nice-Guy...

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

Cars can lose wheels while they're still live, which is good to finally see.

Mcquiz
  • Mcquiz

Mack Pimp

• Members
  • Estonia

Posted 01 May 2013 - 04:24 PM

I'm hoping for the damage and driving GTA IV has just a bit more refined. I want the basics to stay the same.

richard1997jones
  • richard1997jones

Foot Soldier

• Members
  • None

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

I thought iv had a good realism when it came to car damage but if realism is what we want then yes it should be updated sarcasm.gif

KiiWiiDeee
  • KiiWiiDeee

Liberty City's finest.

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:06 PM

It should improve.

You call SR3 driving realistic? Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree. Driving is too easy on SR. IV had great car handling (apart from the air you got when driving up a slope fast).

Wooser
  • Wooser

Here for the Cars

• Members

Posted 01 May 2013 - 05:26 PM Edited by Wooser, 01 May 2013 - 06:58 PM.

QUOTE (Mr.c TO the J @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 22:57)
I think GTAIV’s damage, both visually and effectively (basically how it effects the cars performance) was a step in the right direction, but I do have a few gripes/ideas for improvement.

1. Mapping of the paint Scratches:
2. Effects on Car performance:
3. Roofs:

Besides that the improvements I've wanted have been displayed thus far, and it's looked to be better than GTAIV, and is a further step into direction it was going with IV, so I'm happy as can be really.

GTAIV have some of the best detail to damage. Just bumping into a light pole scratches the fender and can leave a small dent. That nice. The roof caving in was a minor issue and if the side of the body was pushed in far enough, the door would appear to float when opened. Bumpers should still on and hang when damaged. I don't want it to come off too easily like the hood.

It would be nice if you slam the car hard enough onto the roads that the exhaust or muffler drags on the ground, sparks flying before breaking off the car later.

Performance wise, I prefer the engine not to become weaker as damage increase. I like the risk factor of pushing the cars to the limit before catching on fire and exploding. If I was in a police crash and my car started to slow down, I would start to look for a new vehicle instead of getting away from the cops in a smoking car. On the other hand, I like how the wheels can bend inward/outward that throw the steering off. It's a nice little handing damage. I don't like the idea of the wheels coming off (by look silly), I felt that the effect of getting a tire jammed in the car is better.

Raspberry McFaggotCakes
  • Raspberry McFaggotCakes

Kakka Carrot Cake

• BUSTED!

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:03 PM

I think IVs damage was just right, I don't want it to be too realistic (Crash once, vehicle undriveable, would be a bitch in missions)
BUT I want 2 improvements on that:
Bumpers and wheels breaking off, that was not in IV and should be in V

SwaggedOut
  • SwaggedOut

Work hard, play hard

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:42 PM

I saw missing quarter panels and windows that didn't completely come away. Also cars don't change colour when destroyed, which is closer to real life.

elite378
  • elite378

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

The window breaking mechanics have improved aswell, in IV when you shot a side window of a car the glass would break clean off, but in V it leaves little jagged pieces around the window frame which is much more realistic icon14.gif

Grand Cannon
  • Grand Cannon

Everywhere and Nowhere

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (SwaggedOut @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 09:42)
I saw missing quarter panels and windows that didn't completely come away. Also cars don't change colour when destroyed, which is closer to real life.

I really like how vehicles explode now. Instead of getting a charred model, wheels come off, glass shatters, doors, hoods, and trunks fly off/open and of course, you get scorch marks here and there. Very nice.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users