Photo

Car damage

74 replies to this topic
SlappyPwnsAss
  • SlappyPwnsAss

I done kept it real from tha jump

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:42 AM

Do you think the damage done to the cars, when you hit a wall or another car, should change from GTA IV to V?

Diesleman
  • Diesleman

Try to be Brown.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:45 AM

No, just ever improved

gtaTeamMichael
  • gtaTeamMichael

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

It should improve.

If anything needs changing, I think the cars should be changed. SR3 had great driving mechanics except you couldn't 'hang' onto a drift, you turned sharply and the turning was good (better than GTA IV's, SR3's entire driving mechanics were) except SR3 had a problem with drifting and brake-turning.

GTA V should have SR3 style of driving with: turns that realistically drift, and reversing that can reverse sharp and narrowly/tightly, not widely.

thatguy23
  • thatguy23

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:58 AM

I think it should've changed, well I would've liked it to change but judging by trailer 2 the damage hasn't changed.

hhamzah99
  • hhamzah99

Call me.. Heisenberg.

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:59 AM

i liked the san andreas way of driving biggrin.gif ?

poklane
  • poklane

So now what?

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

QUOTE (gtaTeamMichael @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 10:55)
It should improve.

If anything needs changing, I think the cars should be changed. SR3 had great driving mechanics except you couldn't 'hang' onto a drift, you turned sharply and the turning was good (better than GTA IV's, SR3's entire driving mechanics were) except SR3 had a problem with drifting and brake-turning.

GTA V should have SR3 style of driving with: turns that realistically drift, and reversing that can reverse sharp and narrowly/tightly, not widely.

I hated SR3 driving, it was way to easy

JesperRohrsel
  • JesperRohrsel

Snitch

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

I think that i read, that the driving will be just like in a racing game.

SlappyPwnsAss
  • SlappyPwnsAss

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (JesperRohrsel @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:00)
I think that i read, that the driving will be just like in a racing game.

What i meant was the way cars get damaged.

Arran B
  • Arran B

The '80s enthusiast.

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:10 AM

It should improve.

No it bloody well shouldn't! An improvement on IVs physics will be adequate ans welcomed.

JANTSUU
  • JANTSUU

Wanted Level: ★★★★★

• Members
  • None
  • Best Video 2012 [GTA V Trailer with Niko, Luis and Johnny]

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

It should improve.

H*ll no!
SR3 driving physics is awful. The cars feel weightless and like they're on rails. GTA IV has the best driving physics I've seen in any sandbox game.

I liked GTA IV damage model but it could still be improved. There should be more parts falling apart of the cars when you crash heavily. In GTA IV only hood and doors fell apart. It would be awesome if bumpers and tires were able to fall apart when you crash.

gtaTeamMichael
  • gtaTeamMichael

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Jantsu92 @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:35)
It should improve.

H*ll no!
SR3 driving physics is awful. The cars feel weightless and like they're on rails. GTA IV has the best driving physics I've seen in any sandbox game.

I liked GTA IV damage model but it could still be improved. There should be more parts falling apart of the cars when you crash heavily. In GTA IV only hood and doors fell apart. It would be awesome if bumpers and tires were able to fall apart when you crash.

I'm saying GTA V driving should be like SR3, not the damage. SR3 damage sucks.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

uzimyak

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (gtaTeamMichael @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:50)

Both the damage and driving in SR3 suck. And the drifting is as far from realistic as you can get.

OT: Hopefully this time around the bumpers and side panels will fall off. Perhaps even the mirrors too.

gtaTeamMichael
  • gtaTeamMichael

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (mr6plow9 @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:53)

Both the damage and driving in SR3 suck. And the drifting is as far from realistic as you can get.

Why do they suck????

SlappyPwnsAss
  • SlappyPwnsAss

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE (gtaTeamMichael @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:55)

Why do they suck????

They are awful. Hopefully they improve GTA 4's driving physics. SR3 driving felt really bad.

loony979
  • loony979

Homie

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

Only thing that i see needed fixing is when you drift turning & the whole
screen ( camera ) does 360's so anoying. as for car damage it self fix the part were wheels go throw body work.
that was so funny to see a wheel go throw a bonnet ... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE (Jantsu92 @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 19:35)
H*ll no!

I don't like falling tires! What if we were being chased by cops and we crashed onto a wall by accident? Your idea removes the fun, dude!

BTW, gtaTeamMichael, the TC was talking about the damage done onto cars all along, NOT THE HANDLING!

gtaTeamMichael
  • gtaTeamMichael

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (SlappyPwnsAss @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 12:03)

Why do they suck????

They are awful. Hopefully they improve GTA 4's driving physics. SR3 driving felt really bad.

Okay, but how was it awful? You're not explaining that.

I explained why I thought SR3 had its goods and bads. From your lack of elaboration, based on your argument all I can deem is that IV does not have good driving physics and you only praise it because it belongs to the GTA franchise.

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

QUOTE (gtaTeamMichael @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 20:11)

I explained why I thought SR3 had its goods and bads. From your lack of elaboration, based on your argument all I can deem is that IV does not have good driving physics and you only praise it because it belongs to the GTA franchise.

It was bad for most people because it felt like you're driving a box, only a bit realistic.
SR3 has good deformed shapes evidence to that are the cars ran over by a tank.
But the physics are bad for a sandbox game. It felt too arcady. I played the game and I liked SR for its OTTness. But when it comes the game's handling, I hate it.

And please, don't turn this topic into a "Let's Bash SR3" topic.

SlappyPwnsAss
  • SlappyPwnsAss

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (gtaTeamMichael @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 12:11)
QUOTE (SlappyPwnsAss @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 12:03)

Why do they suck????

The handling felt irrealistic... Really irrealistic. Any car would reach top speed in 4 seconds.

JANTSUU
  • JANTSUU

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (Jantsu92 @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 11:35)
It should improve.

H*ll no!

I'm saying GTA V driving should be like GTA IV and not like SR3.
SR3 driving sucks because it's so simplified. Cars turn like they are on rails and when yout hit the brake car stops unrealistically easily.

GTA V damage could be improved from GTA IV.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

It should improve.

I hope to f*ck you're kidding. And anyway, this isnt about the way the cars handle.

Car damage should improve although it is good. Headlights handing out, more individual parts coming and breaking off like mirros, fenders, grills and such. Would be great.

gtaTeamMichael
  • gtaTeamMichael

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (Darrel @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 12:22)
It should improve.

I hope to f*ck you're kidding. And anyway, this isnt about the way the cars handle.

Car damage should improve although it is good. Headlights handing out, more individual parts coming and breaking off like mirros, fenders, grills and such. Would be great.

Why is that?

Can you give reasons? No? Didn't think so.

Darrel
  • Darrel

Reported!

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:25 PM Edited by Darrel, 14 April 2013 - 12:27 PM.

Why is that?

Can you give reasons? No? Didn't think so. [/QUOTE]
If you want me to give you reaons PM me. I'm not going to derail this topic. This is not about car handling or Saints row 3.

Ermac.
  • Ermac.

uzimyak

• Members
  • Jamaica

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:26 PM

Volition effectively took all the effort needed out of driving. Most of the vehicles handle very similarly and stick to the ground like glue, not to mention how stiff they feel. The drifting is over-exaggerated to the point where it looks like you're sliding on ice. All in all, it pretty much surpasses arcade driving (which is what previous GTA's had) and goes to another level. Driving a car in SR3 feels more like driving an RC toy. I could go on and on but then it will just turn into a SR3 bash-fest.

For the record, I don't hate SR3, but there is very little from it that should be incorporated into GTA.

gtaTeamMichael
  • gtaTeamMichael

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (mr6plow9 @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 12:26)

Volition effectively took all the effort needed out of driving. Most of the vehicles handle very similarly and stick to the ground like glue, not to mention how stiff they feel. The drifting is over-exaggerated to the point where it looks like you're sliding on ice. All in all, it pretty much surpasses arcade driving (which is what previous GTA's had) and goes to another level. Driving a car in SR3 feels more like driving an RC toy. I could go on and on but then it will just turn into a SR3 bash-fest.

For the record, I don't hate SR3, but there is very little from it that should be incorporated into GTA.

Okay, I understand. Thanks.

Also, IMO, IV had the thick, stiff, gluey handling. It was ridiculous driving those. As if all cars had jammed turning wheels.

zakace
  • zakace

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:35 PM

QUOTE (gtaTeamMichael @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 12:24)
QUOTE (Darrel @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 12:22)
It should improve.

Why is that?

Can you give reasons? No? Didn't think so.

You're pretty much the only person ive met that prefers Saints Row 3 handling, it feels like you're driving a box on wheels, turns too easily and has no realism at all. The majority of people want some skill to be involved in driving since it is a large part of the game and needs to be decent. GTA IV handling in V please with just a few upgrades biggrin.gif
Oh and i hope that theres more realistic damage in V like small dents and other little details.

gta5freemode4eva
  • gta5freemode4eva

Foot Soldier

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

It should improve.

Seriously? Have you played SR3 + GTA4...

x_jason8
  • x_jason8

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:15 PM

the damage to the car itself is just fine biggrin.gif
what should change is the damage to the city like say you crash into a house while going 130 mph, and it makes a big ass hole in the wall xD

GTAGuy
  • GTAGuy

Muten Roshi

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:40 PM Edited by GTAGuy, 14 April 2013 - 09:44 PM.

The crumpling effects on the cars is nice, but not completely realistic. In GTAIV the car's extremities can be damaged a great deal, but the cabin area typically suffers very little damage even in high speed crashes. I can understand there are limits on what they can do to keep the player from breaking the game, but if I wanted to crash hard and fast enough to turn my car into a ball of scrap metal then why not?

Anyone ever play Rigs of Rods? Now THAT'S how damage should be handled.

I kind of doubt any major overhaul to vehicle damage will be done though. It's a system that's already in place and works well enough. I'd figure Rockstar would use their resources in other more necessary areas.

As far as handling goes. There are plenty of mods for GTAIV to improve handling on vehicles and make them more responsive. I'm sure the vehicles will have the same basic physics as GTAIV's albeit with more responsive steering and brakes. I think the biggest problem in GTAIV was when you got any car going fast enough it had a stopping distance of 15 football fields.

JANTSUU
  • JANTSUU

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (GTAGuy @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 21:40)
As far as handling goes. There are plenty of mods for GTAIV to improve handling on vehicles and make them more responsive. I'm sure the vehicles will have the same basic physics as GTAIV's albeit with more responsive steering and brakes. I think the biggest problem in GTAIV was when you got any car going fast enough it had a stopping distance of 15 football fields.

Steering and braking in GTA IV was fine. Normal cars in real life doesn't handle really well at high speeds and braking distances can be very long at high speeds.
More realistic car handling is better. Hopefully they don't change it too much for GTA V.
In multiplayer races it's always good fun to see those kids trying to brake way too late in corners and crashing into buildings.

This video shows really well how long it takes to stop the car from high speed.
250kmh = 156mph

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users