Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

Nothing wrong with nostalgia

You touched on the big problem, and it was the same with The Bar, One Shots and other community-based projects; interest. This section is deathly quiet, and people just don't do it for long - they get bored or just don't have the time (I have found it difficult to even dedicate time to read the stories posted here; ten mins here and there just isn't enough, especially when you're behind). It's a shame as some of these were great ideas.

Starting a new BYOG I think would be a challenge, partly because GTA online has filled that corner of the 'market' in an abstract way. But if you can rally some support as build a kernel of steady interest, then it might work...
  • Osric likes this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Nothing wrong with nostalgia

You touched on the big problem, and it was the same with The Bar, One Shots and other community-based projects; interest. This section is deathly quiet, and people just don't do it for long - they get bored or just don't have the time (I have found it difficult to even dedicate time to read the stories posted here; ten mins here and there just isn't enough, especially when you're behind). It's a shame as some of these were great ideas.

Starting a new BYOG I think would be a challenge, partly because GTA online has filled that corner of the 'market' in an abstract way. But if you can rally some support as build a kernel of steady interest, then it might work...

True, I'll see who all may be interested and see if I can't get at least a small BUYG game of some sort going.

Craig
  • Craig

‹bergrunde

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

BUYG was a special project, and I loved it. I'm going to admit that I was surprised it remained popular for so long. I think part of what made it special was that characters and environments were already there and familiar to even new contributors. While it's refreshing to craft scenes from scratch, sometimes it's equally nice to have that sense of familiarity to fall back on. You could say Broker or North Algonquin and people immediately know where you are. You don't have to spend pages describing the looks and atmosphere because it's so well mapped out already. It's comforting.

But yes, I loved it. I also enjoyed the grading aspect. A few of us were tasked with rating people's entries and giving them money reflecting how well they told a story. That then led to you being able to buy more guns and use more resources. It was like an RPG.

• Ziggy455, Vercetti27 and Osric like this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

BUYG was a special project, and I loved it. I'm going to admit that I was surprised it remained popular for so long. I think part of what made it special was that characters and environments were already there and familiar to even new contributors. While it's refreshing to craft scenes from scratch, sometimes it's equally nice to have that sense of familiarity to fall back on. You could say Broker or North Algonquin and people immediately know where you are. You don't have to spend pages describing the looks and atmosphere because it's so well mapped out already. It's comforting.

But yes, I loved it. I also enjoyed the grading aspect. A few of us were tasked with rating people's entries and giving them money reflecting how well they told a story. That then led to you being able to buy more guns and use more resources. It was like an RPG.

Agreed. I had ideas for a GTA V BUYG as well as a BUYG set in the real world (however, for the sake of simplicity, we'd be using vehicles fro GTA IV, GTA V, and GTA Online's various DLC's)

Also, I remember back in 2014 or 2015, we tried to bring back Build Up Your Survivor and it was pretty cool, albeit very, very short-lived. What was cool about it was that instead of building up a faction, you built up an individual character, sort of like a traditional RPG. I thought about taking that concept and applying that to such a game, either a modern "Build Up Your Gangster" or better yet, "Build Up Your Adventurer".

Build Up Your Adventurer would be loosely based off of old-school Dungeons & Dragons, a mix of Sword & Sorcery with High Fantasy and Pulp Adventure. I know it's a little different from the modern fare of BUYG and its ill-fated spin-offs, but I think it could work. Especially if you used the D&D framework of spells, feats, and equipment.

Instead of purchasing assets and rackets like in BUYG, a character in Build Up Your Adventurer could purchase homesteads and strongholds (in fact, the earlier editions of D&D assumed that high-level characters would establish feudal holdings and raise armies). They could buy keeps along with things such as barracks, armorers, alchemy labs, holy temples, magical academies, and the like.

If there's enough people interested, I could easily get a game like Build Up Your Adventurer going. Personally, I think an individual-based game would most likely fare better with a smaller amount of players than a faction-based game. While Build Up Your Survivor 2 didn't last long at all, the concept was sound and with a little dedication and enough interest to form a small yet steady player base, this could actually work.

Craig
  • Craig

‹bergrunde

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

I hope so, but the more I think about it and the more I read your post the more I think it was truly a project of its time. It worked then because the games were more fresh and we didn't have any other measure of interactivity. Now, there's GTA:O and little interest in the 3D era aside from niche groups. There's also a lot less activity than there was five or six years ago, or at least, less activity here - obviously there's more active members now than ever before, but it's whether or not people will take to something like this when people could just play with their clans online.

• Osric likes this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

I hope so, but the more I think about it and the more I read your post the more I think it was truly a project of its time. It worked then because the games were more fresh and we didn't have any other measure of interactivity. Now, there's GTA:O and little interest in the 3D era aside from niche groups. There's also a lot less activity than there was five or six years ago, or at least, less activity here - obviously there's more active members now than ever before, but it's whether or not people will take to something like this when people could just play with their clans online.

That is true, GTA Online does sort of fill the niche of BUYG. at least in the GTA aspect of things.

If we had more active posters here in the Writer's Discussion, I would make Build Up Your Adventurer in a heartbeat! I do have some friends in the GTA Series sub-forum, many of them involved in concept threads. I'll ask them if they are interested in any of these projects.

Craig
  • Craig

‹bergrunde

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

How many active contributors would you even need for it to be sustainable?

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

How many active contributors would you even need for it to be sustainable?

Not sure. Probably four at an absolute minimum.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The Writer

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:39 AM

I'm down for an old rehash, fellas.

• Vercetti27 and Osric like this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:54 AM Edited by Osric, 31 March 2017 - 01:59 AM.

Maybe you and I can collaborate on a little something then. Send me a PM and we can discuss ideas, whether it be a revival of Build Up Your Gang or Build Up Your Survivor, or even something new like my proposed Build Up Your Adventurer.

On another note, I just posted the first chapter to a long-term project of mine, titled Lords of Wise. It is a nostalgic lament written in first-person, among other things....

• Ziggy455 likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Most Creative [Writing] 2016

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

Jesu christo, look how it is! How you doing fella?

And yeah, you'd need a plan and a good base of active posters - I'd love to so WD busier with people who want to read and write, and that'd be the first step. I've often thought how we could improve traffic here (including once discussing merging concepts with the WD, but we dismissed it), and it really comes down to how many people are interested in writing - not as many as 6 years ago, it seems. If traffic and regular members increase then some project like this here could work

Otherwise you'd be looking at a different take on it - combining writing with the online play aspect maybe? I don't know
  • Osric and slimeball supreme like this

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The Writer

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

I think the biggest issues when it comes to creating these games is they start off with momentum that dies out. Keeping it small is key and making sure it's kept up is definitely a big concern. I'd really be up for a small-scale BUYG. I miss them so much. Hell, hosting it here and inviting good people would be good but putting it in the concept forum too would draw numbers. The only thing that would piss me off is all the people excited to join, posting one chapter, and disappearing forever.

Things have been busy for me, dude. Running a nightclub and writing really went on the backburner after many rejected shorts. But I'm just getting back into the swing of things. :)

• Osric and arch stanton like this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:49 PM

I think the biggest issues when it comes to creating these games is they start off with momentum that dies out. Keeping it small is key and making sure it's kept up is definitely a big concern. I'd really be up for a small-scale BUYG. I miss them so much. Hell, hosting it here and inviting good people would be good but putting it in the concept forum too would draw numbers. The only thing that would piss me off is all the people excited to join, posting one chapter, and disappearing forever.

Things have been busy for me, dude. Running a nightclub and writing really went on the backburner after many rejected shorts. But I'm just getting back into the swing of things. :)

I sent you a PM of some of my ideas, including a small-scale Build Up Your Gang set in a real-life city and the fantasy-inspired Build Up Your Adventurer

• Ziggy455 likes this

Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Daily Globe
  • Finland

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

I gotta admire the fact y'all are still going for a group project, and will wish the best of luck for that.

Unfortunately, if the Bar was any indication, I'm not very good at bringing myself to commit to these things - but I'm sure you'll find some others more inclined to go for it.

• saintsrow and Osric like this

Craig
  • Craig

‹bergrunde

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:28 AM

Again, I think part of the original success of The Bar was it being a product of the time - it was a new idea with plenty of activity. The prospect of potentially interwoven story arcs was a big draw for many people, with some members even throwing PMs to each other by means of collaborating or having their stories sync up in some way. My problem was I had ideas that I didn't want to restrict in The Bar, and the stuff I had planned wound up being picked apart and used in other stories I've yet to post.

I'm too protective, in other words.
  • Ziggy455 and Osric like this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

The biggest problem was that I see is activity - we really need more visitors and posters in this section for any community projects. My favourite was always One Shots, still a topic is like to see revived the most (also a great too to keep your writing skills sharp - I know mine have become blunt).
  • Osric likes this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

I've been reading a lot about the history of the Italian Mafia in America, and I am finding it fascinating. Especially the early days of the Mafia in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. I am contemplating writing a story about the Black Hand street gangs in New Orleans in the late 1860's, which were the very first form of Italian-American organized crime in the United States ever, and helped lay the foundation for what would become the Mafia as we know it today.

• Notna likes this

Notna
  • Notna

It's clobberin' time!

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

I've been reading a lot about the history of the Italian Mafia in America, and I am finding it fascinating. Especially the early days of the Mafia in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. I am contemplating writing a story about the Black Hand street gangs in New Orleans in the late 1860's, which were the very first form of Italian-American organized crime in the United States ever, and helped lay the foundation for what would become the Mafia as we know it today.

That sounds good. Crime stories are what I'm looking into currently as well.

• Osric likes this

arch stanton
  • arch stanton

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

Just finished reading Cormac Mcarthy's Blood Meridian a second time over. Anyone familiar with his work suggest another novel of his I would enjoy? I've heard of The Road but not really into that narrative. I'm thinking about getting Child of God. 

• PicardsBong likes this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:52 AM

So, today is my birthday. I am now twenty-four years old and for my birthday, I rewatched my favorite zombie movie, the original Dawn of the Dead from 1978 (not the crappy 2004 remake) and I've been thinking of a zombie story with a 70's or 80's style to it. I'm also outlining the next chapter to Lords of Wise.

• PicardsBong likes this

PicardsBong
  • PicardsBong

Lazy Astronaut

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:52 PM

Just finished reading Cormac Mcarthy's Blood Meridian a second time over. Anyone familiar with his work suggest another novel of his I would enjoy? I've heard of The Road but not really into that narrative. I'm thinking about getting Child of God. 

I know this is from a while ago, but while The Road is kind of tired in the sense that there are SO many post apocalyptic narratives out there, but it is very formative for me, and its stark language when dealing with frightening topics is a lesson for any writer. It's a very Spartan narrative. Sparse on detail, big on thought and narrative strength. You'll want to get to the end just to understand it more. It's short too, and a brisk read is always welcome in my opinion.

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:21 AM

I'm back after a long absence. I'm thinking of making a new fanfic, most likely based on Vampire: The Masquerade. I know there's Lords of Wise, which remains unfinished, but I've been having some writer's block these past few months, and maybe if I try a new project, stick to it, and actually flesh out some of my ideas, it will help me overcome it.

I'm already coming up with some new ideas. Not just VTM, but other fics as well, both fanfiction and original works. But I am unsure exactly where to start. This past week or so, I've gone from Writer's Block to Writer's ADD.

Femme Fatale
  • Femme Fatale

prettier n nastier

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:46 PM Edited by Femme Fatale, 04 October 2017 - 08:58 PM.

Ever since I was a teenager, I've been fairly interested in becoming a writer. The only problem is that I never start writing, I just let the ideas float around in my head. I've only written a couple of short stories, one of them a fanfic for American Dad. It was an AU(alternate universe) story where Hayley is a necrophile, and she purposely dates suicidal boys so she can coax them into killing themselves so she can keep the body. And the other one I wrote was the same story, but with original characters(Hayley being replaced by a Gay guy), and the sex scenes were longer and more graphic. In one of them, I included the protagonist singing along to a few lines of Madonna's Into the Groove while the song played background. Also, it wasn't as poorly written as the fanfic, lmao. I deleted them from Fanfiction.net and FictionPress, respectively, since I no longer feel proud of them. In my 16-17 year old mind, I thought "This is my best work!" But as I grew older, I realized they're both sh*tty, lol. I still love the story's premise though, I might re-rewrite it.

I guess the only way for me to start writing is to do what Alec Baldwin(?) did when he wrote that one movie. Live in a cabin in the woods, with no tv, internet, or anything else that can distract me. Just a typewrite(writers still use those, right?), and my imagination. But, since I have a job and bills to take care of, it's highly likely that won't happen. 

Fallcreek
  • Fallcreek

Gutted

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Canada

Posted 05 October 2017 - 04:04 AM

I find that ideal writing conditions don't necessarily translate me into writing more, or better. It's the will that drives me to do it, just saying "f*ck it" and try hammer this thing out. It's kind of like riding a bike, it starts off slow, but once you get the wheels rolling, it'll pull together.

• Femme Fatale likes this

Craig
  • Craig

‹bergrunde

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 05 October 2017 - 06:23 AM

Using an establishing universe as a basis for writing is absolutely fine, and I encourage it. Some people might fob it off as being unoriginal or lazy but it's ideal if you're struggling with an already good idea. I've done it myself. The advantage is you already have a cast of characters you know well enough to write, though actually being convincing can be difficult. The problem I always had was writing characters, and despite their intended traits they always slowly turned into the same person with the same manners of speech. It takes practice, like anything.

As said, "ideal" conditions do anything but inspire. It's easy to romanticise getting away from everything and sealing yourself in a cave to write distraction free, but it's never the distractions. Sure, they might hinder your progress but that's only because you'd rather do anything but write when you're not in the mood. Believe me, you'd wind up counting the knots in the logs of your cabin before you hammer out a Gatsby. You have to want to do it enough, but it's alright if you don't. Of course it is.

Setting goals for yourself can work, providing they're realistic and aren't taxing to the point they feel like a chore. One I set for myself often is to write 1000 words every day. It doesn't matter what those words are, whether they're a beginning, an end, a character bio or even for a completely different story. Setting a routine is the best way to make something feel as natural as washing your face or doing laundry. The bonus is, you'll grow to feel excited again because those 1000 words are an opportunity to make something and there's little more satisfying that making something out of nothing.

Your story sounds good. You should work on it with original characters. You'll get help here.

• Vercetti27, Osric, Fallcreek and 1 other like this

Vercetti27
  • Vercetti27

Staunton Faction

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 October 2017 - 03:49 PM

Yeah I remember taking part in the GTA 3 era BUYG (around 2009/10 ish, i can't find that thread in the search function though) as well as GTA IV BUYG, I remember really working hard to get the approval of the "staff" who would grade stories. The concept was brilliant, just a shame that they both fizzled out because like other people here have said, when you're struggling for ideas the GTA universe is already set up and alive in your mind, you just fill in the blank spaces and you've got something people can really imagine.

Like, I would do an independent San Andreas set story myself, outside of the confine of the BUYG format, but then again who tf is gonna read it y'know? And will I end up getting so entrenched into it that I wish I didn't make it basically a GTA fanfic and done something really original? Cuz I have a lot of this creative storytelling going on in my own head and it does take the effort to gather some discipline and get down and write it all up. And when you do, you want an audience.

If anything like that happened, I'd be down for it anyway. I quite like the idea of there being one staff member who sets up a series of events that happen in the GTA universe, and then there are like 10 spaces open to writers to tell their gang's version of said events, that may involve all gangs in a different number of ways, and the staff pick the best one off story? Could be set in any city or universe really, plus it would take less time than the whole BUYG format would require, plus it wouldn't need so many people?

Maybe I'm thinking about this too much eh? I really have to write something someday and channel this sh*t in my head in a creative way, lol

• Osric likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:59 PM

Regarding established universe, it's what I'm trying with my latest project (not COL2). A previously failed story is now the backstory to this new one, and I've transported it into a slightly different world. A more raw, simpler one.

But there's still work to do. The basic story is solid, but indistinguishable from a million other stories of the genre. I need to build on it.

Plus the character is a bit of a loner, and quite cold so that's another level if challenge

Couple that with a very busy lifestyle, a rustiness in writing, a slight jaded head abd many sever personal issues, progress is almost non-existent. And when I do try to write I realise I've not planned or fleshed out the storyline so it comes out, while descriptive, and empty and kinda pointless.

I've literally written about 10 pages (most of which has been scrapped but in talking in total) about a man walking through the woods.

I put a lot of value in one shots, as the brain is a muscle and one if my problems is that I've not used it for so long, it's wasted away.
But as long as we have hope, it's not too late to pick the pen back up

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 2 weeks ago

I have to admit, I miss the 3D Universe of Grand Theft Auto.

Craig
  • Craig

‹bergrunde

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 2 weeks ago

The 3D era for me was the pinnacle when it came to writing material. The characters were easier to flesh out. With the HD era, I feel like characters who have only appeared in one game already have this established, fleshed out backstory. That's fine and all, but it takes away a lot of the freedom if you're aiming for something vaguely canonical. You could say you're writing alternate canon, but a lot of the excitement for me is knowing what you've produced could have potentially happened. I think part of it is just how many characters seem to have interacted across the 3D era games too.

Either way, if you want to write something focused entirely on the 3D universe, have at it. Nobody has taken it away from you and if it drips with nostalgia, certain pockets of fans would lap it up.

• Osric and Fallcreek like this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None

Posted A week ago

I think we all would lap it up. Gotta love the classics!

But I feel some of the characters in iv were the best rockstar created, and I think COL falls into that category of something that could have happened

I'm struggling with the V characters for the sequel.
  • Osric likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users