Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 28 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

Nothing wrong with nostalgia

You touched on the big problem, and it was the same with The Bar, One Shots and other community-based projects; interest. This section is deathly quiet, and people just don't do it for long - they get bored or just don't have the time (I have found it difficult to even dedicate time to read the stories posted here; ten mins here and there just isn't enough, especially when you're behind). It's a shame as some of these were great ideas.

Starting a new BYOG I think would be a challenge, partly because GTA online has filled that corner of the 'market' in an abstract way. But if you can rally some support as build a kernel of steady interest, then it might work...
  • Osric likes this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:42 AM

Nothing wrong with nostalgia

You touched on the big problem, and it was the same with The Bar, One Shots and other community-based projects; interest. This section is deathly quiet, and people just don't do it for long - they get bored or just don't have the time (I have found it difficult to even dedicate time to read the stories posted here; ten mins here and there just isn't enough, especially when you're behind). It's a shame as some of these were great ideas.

Starting a new BYOG I think would be a challenge, partly because GTA online has filled that corner of the 'market' in an abstract way. But if you can rally some support as build a kernel of steady interest, then it might work...

True, I'll see who all may be interested and see if I can't get at least a small BUYG game of some sort going.

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:47 AM

BUYG was a special project, and I loved it. I'm going to admit that I was surprised it remained popular for so long. I think part of what made it special was that characters and environments were already there and familiar to even new contributors. While it's refreshing to craft scenes from scratch, sometimes it's equally nice to have that sense of familiarity to fall back on. You could say Broker or North Algonquin and people immediately know where you are. You don't have to spend pages describing the looks and atmosphere because it's so well mapped out already. It's comforting.

But yes, I loved it. I also enjoyed the grading aspect. A few of us were tasked with rating people's entries and giving them money reflecting how well they told a story. That then led to you being able to buy more guns and use more resources. It was like an RPG.

• Ziggy455 and Osric like this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:47 PM

BUYG was a special project, and I loved it. I'm going to admit that I was surprised it remained popular for so long. I think part of what made it special was that characters and environments were already there and familiar to even new contributors. While it's refreshing to craft scenes from scratch, sometimes it's equally nice to have that sense of familiarity to fall back on. You could say Broker or North Algonquin and people immediately know where you are. You don't have to spend pages describing the looks and atmosphere because it's so well mapped out already. It's comforting.

But yes, I loved it. I also enjoyed the grading aspect. A few of us were tasked with rating people's entries and giving them money reflecting how well they told a story. That then led to you being able to buy more guns and use more resources. It was like an RPG.

Agreed. I had ideas for a GTA V BUYG as well as a BUYG set in the real world (however, for the sake of simplicity, we'd be using vehicles fro GTA IV, GTA V, and GTA Online's various DLC's)

Also, I remember back in 2014 or 2015, we tried to bring back Build Up Your Survivor and it was pretty cool, albeit very, very short-lived. What was cool about it was that instead of building up a faction, you built up an individual character, sort of like a traditional RPG. I thought about taking that concept and applying that to such a game, either a modern "Build Up Your Gangster" or better yet, "Build Up Your Adventurer".

Build Up Your Adventurer would be loosely based off of old-school Dungeons & Dragons, a mix of Sword & Sorcery with High Fantasy and Pulp Adventure. I know it's a little different from the modern fare of BUYG and its ill-fated spin-offs, but I think it could work. Especially if you used the D&D framework of spells, feats, and equipment.

Instead of purchasing assets and rackets like in BUYG, a character in Build Up Your Adventurer could purchase homesteads and strongholds (in fact, the earlier editions of D&D assumed that high-level characters would establish feudal holdings and raise armies). They could buy keeps along with things such as barracks, armorers, alchemy labs, holy temples, magical academies, and the like.

If there's enough people interested, I could easily get a game like Build Up Your Adventurer going. Personally, I think an individual-based game would most likely fare better with a smaller amount of players than a faction-based game. While Build Up Your Survivor 2 didn't last long at all, the concept was sound and with a little dedication and enough interest to form a small yet steady player base, this could actually work.

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:51 PM

I hope so, but the more I think about it and the more I read your post the more I think it was truly a project of its time. It worked then because the games were more fresh and we didn't have any other measure of interactivity. Now, there's GTA:O and little interest in the 3D era aside from niche groups. There's also a lot less activity than there was five or six years ago, or at least, less activity here - obviously there's more active members now than ever before, but it's whether or not people will take to something like this when people could just play with their clans online.

• Osric likes this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:06 PM

I hope so, but the more I think about it and the more I read your post the more I think it was truly a project of its time. It worked then because the games were more fresh and we didn't have any other measure of interactivity. Now, there's GTA:O and little interest in the 3D era aside from niche groups. There's also a lot less activity than there was five or six years ago, or at least, less activity here - obviously there's more active members now than ever before, but it's whether or not people will take to something like this when people could just play with their clans online.

That is true, GTA Online does sort of fill the niche of BUYG. at least in the GTA aspect of things.

If we had more active posters here in the Writer's Discussion, I would make Build Up Your Adventurer in a heartbeat! I do have some friends in the GTA Series sub-forum, many of them involved in concept threads. I'll ask them if they are interested in any of these projects.

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:24 PM

How many active contributors would you even need for it to be sustainable?

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 28 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

How many active contributors would you even need for it to be sustainable?

Not sure. Probably four at an absolute minimum.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The Writer

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:39 AM

I'm down for an old rehash, fellas.

• Osric likes this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 30 March 2017 - 02:54 AM Edited by Osric, 31 March 2017 - 01:59 AM.

Maybe you and I can collaborate on a little something then. Send me a PM and we can discuss ideas, whether it be a revival of Build Up Your Gang or Build Up Your Survivor, or even something new like my proposed Build Up Your Adventurer.

On another note, I just posted the first chapter to a long-term project of mine, titled Lords of Wise. It is a nostalgic lament written in first-person, among other things....

• Ziggy455 likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Most Creative [Writing] 2016

Posted 01 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

Jesu christo, look how it is! How you doing fella?

And yeah, you'd need a plan and a good base of active posters - I'd love to so WD busier with people who want to read and write, and that'd be the first step. I've often thought how we could improve traffic here (including once discussing merging concepts with the WD, but we dismissed it), and it really comes down to how many people are interested in writing - not as many as 6 years ago, it seems. If traffic and regular members increase then some project like this here could work

Otherwise you'd be looking at a different take on it - combining writing with the online play aspect maybe? I don't know
  • Osric and Mr. Fartenhate like this

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The Writer

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:03 PM

I think the biggest issues when it comes to creating these games is they start off with momentum that dies out. Keeping it small is key and making sure it's kept up is definitely a big concern. I'd really be up for a small-scale BUYG. I miss them so much. Hell, hosting it here and inviting good people would be good but putting it in the concept forum too would draw numbers. The only thing that would piss me off is all the people excited to join, posting one chapter, and disappearing forever.

Things have been busy for me, dude. Running a nightclub and writing really went on the backburner after many rejected shorts. But I'm just getting back into the swing of things. :)

• Osric and Mick. like this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:49 PM

I think the biggest issues when it comes to creating these games is they start off with momentum that dies out. Keeping it small is key and making sure it's kept up is definitely a big concern. I'd really be up for a small-scale BUYG. I miss them so much. Hell, hosting it here and inviting good people would be good but putting it in the concept forum too would draw numbers. The only thing that would piss me off is all the people excited to join, posting one chapter, and disappearing forever.

Things have been busy for me, dude. Running a nightclub and writing really went on the backburner after many rejected shorts. But I'm just getting back into the swing of things. :)

I sent you a PM of some of my ideas, including a small-scale Build Up Your Gang set in a real-life city and the fantasy-inspired Build Up Your Adventurer

• Ziggy455 likes this

Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Daily Globe
  • Finland

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:41 PM

I gotta admire the fact y'all are still going for a group project, and will wish the best of luck for that.

Unfortunately, if the Bar was any indication, I'm not very good at bringing myself to commit to these things - but I'm sure you'll find some others more inclined to go for it.

• saintsrow and Osric like this

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 08 April 2017 - 02:28 AM

Again, I think part of the original success of The Bar was it being a product of the time - it was a new idea with plenty of activity. The prospect of potentially interwoven story arcs was a big draw for many people, with some members even throwing PMs to each other by means of collaborating or having their stories sync up in some way. My problem was I had ideas that I didn't want to restrict in The Bar, and the stuff I had planned wound up being picked apart and used in other stories I've yet to post.

I'm too protective, in other words.
  • Ziggy455 and Osric like this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• Zaibatsu
  • None
  • Most Creative [Writing] 2016

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

The biggest problem was that I see is activity - we really need more visitors and posters in this section for any community projects. My favourite was always One Shots, still a topic is like to see revived the most (also a great too to keep your writing skills sharp - I know mine have become blunt).
  • Osric likes this

Osric
  • Osric

White Trash Weeb

• Members
  • Japan

Posted 09 April 2017 - 12:50 PM

I've been reading a lot about the history of the Italian Mafia in America, and I am finding it fascinating. Especially the early days of the Mafia in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. I am contemplating writing a story about the Black Hand street gangs in New Orleans in the late 1860's, which were the very first form of Italian-American organized crime in the United States ever, and helped lay the foundation for what would become the Mafia as we know it today.

• Notna likes this

Notna
  • Notna

It's clobberin' time!

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2017 - 07:36 PM

I've been reading a lot about the history of the Italian Mafia in America, and I am finding it fascinating. Especially the early days of the Mafia in the late 19th Century and early 20th Century. I am contemplating writing a story about the Black Hand street gangs in New Orleans in the late 1860's, which were the very first form of Italian-American organized crime in the United States ever, and helped lay the foundation for what would become the Mafia as we know it today.

That sounds good. Crime stories are what I'm looking into currently as well.

• Osric likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users