1,792 replies to this topic
Vercetti21
  • Vercetti21

V21

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:31 PM

Hey there everyone. :ph34r:

Hey there, stranger.

Quick update for those who care: I'm in a period of slow input right now, but I've recently discovered how much I enjoy writing creative nonfiction. With the help of my mentor, I'm pushing towards publishing two nonfiction personal essays by December.

• Ziggy455, Tyler, Lochie and 1 other like this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:57 AM

Guys, I'm dropping in to say, I'm getting this account closed, due to personal stuff, I feel it'd be another good time for a fresh start since the last one was over a year ago, the next account will be permanent though as I have the perfect name for it. Closing this account will give me a chance to cut off any loose ends and disputes I've had with any members of the forum before I come back as a new member soon.

So, on this account, it's goodbye  :dontgetit:

• Ziggy455 and Android like this

Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

I'm not dead. In fact, my concept has been getting better and more detailed every day, and pretty soon I might be able to get things started.

As an addition on the description on that last page, I should mention one theme that I'm going to use in this. Spoiler is rather minor, but I'll leave it inside the tag anyway: 

Spoiler

The Leviathan
  • The Leviathan

Goof the floof.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Contributor [Movies & TV] 2012
    Best Writer 2012
    Story of the Year 2012 "Grand Theft Auto V"
    Best Concept Story 2012 "The Story of Albert de Silva"

Posted 4 weeks ago

Just a quick question:

why am I not allowed to express myself in the expression section?
  • Ziggy455 likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 4 weeks ago

Because of your lack of respect. I can not block you from any section, but nor do I like your attitude in general. I've seen no change in 2 years. Users are fully permitted to post where they want, but I politely asked you - not demanded, asked - to stay away.

You ignored that. So now, I view you as attention seeking. You do not share with this writing community. You have done nothing other than whatever pleased you.

I've spoken with mods, and in short, I can lock any topic i feel is a nuisance or trolling or not relevant. That includes your MM bible thing. That was posted after my polite request (made not as a ledby, but as a person). you have proved to me that  you're incapable of showing this section, writing, myself and other users here adequate respect. And for that reason, I think it's best you know that you're not that popular here. I've tried to be relaxed about this, I've tried to politely ask you to refrain and you refuse. So if you were me, what would you do?

This section is run by myself and eminence. I can't speak for him, but I'm defending the art that I love here, and the people that work hard to write things. If  you want to chat, go to gen chat. You want to write your MM cult stuff, keep it in that topic. Not here. At least for now.

Feel free to PM me about this or talk to a mod. But for now, at least, please lay low.

• Ziggy455 likes this

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Members
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'm officially an University student. I am studying for a BA (Hons) in English Literature and Screenwriting! I start my first lecture next week and I'm already moved into my halls. On top of that I just passed all my SIA exams so I can officially work on the doors down here while I'm studying. Things are looking up for me! 

why am I not allowed to express myself in the expression section?

Sounds to me like you've got one hell of a Zeet on you, mandem. 

• The Leviathan and Vercetti21 like this

The Leviathan
  • The Leviathan

Goof the floof.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Contributor [Movies & TV] 2012
    Best Writer 2012
    Story of the Year 2012 "Grand Theft Auto V"
    Best Concept Story 2012 "The Story of Albert de Silva"

Posted 4 weeks ago

derp.png

Spoiler

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

derp.png

Spoiler

It's unlocked. Go for it.

• The Leviathan likes this

Lexty.
  • Lexty.

whiskeytits

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

Does anyone remember the title of that poem I wrote, heavily based on westerns and cowboys?

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by Mokrie Dela, 4 weeks ago.

Frowned upon is an understatement.

As I've said before, you're unofficially banned because of your refusal to show respect, and such. that said your previous post was reasonable so I'll leave it.

the 'ban' is temporary, but consider it to be enforced from here on in. I need to see more proof that you can be more than a troll before I let you post here again
And as I said in the private message, I've spoken to moderators about this, and they've backed me up.

Lexty: I remember the concept but not the tittle. Sorry. Did you post it or is it WIP?
  • Ziggy455 likes this

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

I'm reading Iain M. Banks Player of Games right now. A decent step into the Culture series of his. I like his writing style, it's very unique and poetically descriptive. I can always envision the world he's trying to show. Besides that, I've been toying with a pilot script now for a while that I ran by Eminence. It's almost on it's third draft which I'm happy about. 

Anybody got anything in the works? 

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

A few things.

A GTA V fanfic (not going well tbh)

An Assassin's Creed one (going okay but still not great)

In the back of my mind is Fallout, which i want to pick up again but... yeah

And the usual Wild West one which has been barely written for 3 years.

Nothing new, really. It's mainly getting the time to write them. Being a grown up sucks sometimes haha

ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 4 weeks ago Edited by ainsz, 4 weeks ago.

Gonna start re-working a trilogy of GTA Fan fics (my usual non GTA canon sh*t I come up with) I had in my mind into real world setting. A weird medieval/scifi epic when the world stops turning..

Also a novel about paranoia and mind f*cking. Sandhill Lake is like a weird spin off to it.

And my own wild west story. Was going to be called The Whore Of New Austin. Probably make it into a screenplay. 

A GTA V fanfic (not going well tbh)

That's because GTA V has nothing to draw inspiration from.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 4 weeks ago

I think that is the problem. I had a good idea but that alone isn't enough for me to carry it on. The setting is decent, but that alone is not enough: i'd have more impact setting it in RL LA...

Bandalamente
  • Bandalamente

Carbuncle Cleaner

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 4 weeks ago

Guys, I'm dropping in to say, I'm getting this account closed, due to personal stuff, I feel it'd be another good time for a fresh start since the last one was over a year ago, the next account will be permanent though as I have the perfect name for it. Closing this account will give me a chance to cut off any loose ends and disputes I've had with any members of the forum before I come back as a new member soon.

So, on this account, it's goodbye  :dontgetit:

Goodbye, little caterpillar. 

Tyler
  • Tyler

This is gonna take crackerjack timing, Wang.

• Unknown
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 3 weeks ago

Anybody got anything in the works? 

Working on a few short stories. Trying to move out into longer territory (around 10-30k) while still feeling completely comfortable with the end product. I'm getting slightly more in tune with drafting at that level, though it still horrifies me to post it anywhere beyond my hard drive.

• Ziggy455 likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 3 weeks ago

Why is that, Tyler?

You not feel it's ready?

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 3 weeks ago

I've considered going back into writing and actually completing something for once.

I'm taking this semester of college off for two reasons. One to work on my life (I need to get a driver's license and I have been working on losing weight) and to also take a brief mental break. However, seeing as I have no job and currently live with my dad while I go to college, I also have plenty of free time until I return to college in January. So from now until January, I have nothing but free time. So, for once, I can actually focus on an idea instead of getting distracted by school, then jumping onto a new idea and repeating the process.

Not sure what I want to write about though. I really don't. I have considered some fanfictions, such as a Vampire: The Masquerade fanfic, but I have also considered original stories as well, including an idea about modern ninjas. Ridiculous, I know, but it's sort of a homage to things like Naruto, Ninja Gaiden, and the ninja films of the 70's and 80's.

Saarai
  • Saarai

Lord of Bondage

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 2 weeks ago

I've been working on several stories to be posted in many places, one is a prequel story for some characters that I used as a basis for some I RP in GTA Online. Also finishing up a crime noir set in Italy, and I'm on the third act of a DC comics based story.

The DC comics story is better than you might think.

Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Members
  • Finland

Posted A week ago

Hmm... I'd like to ask you writers about something. How far ahead do you usually plan before starting to write your stories? Like, do you have all the chapters from beginning to end planned out before even publishing the first one? I've still got all the major details planned out, but it's the chapters inbetween that are giving me trouble. It feels like a real hard job avoiding any filler chapters and keeping the story 'flowing' as I'd say, while still making it long enough to allow character development.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

Not sure what I want to write about though. I really don't. I have considered some fanfictions, such as a Vampire: The Masquerade fanfic, but I have also considered original stories as well, including an idea about modern ninjas. Ridiculous, I know, but it's sort of a homage to things like Naruto, Ninja Gaiden, and the ninja films of the 70's and 80's.

Often times things just hit you. I got hit hard with Fallout and the concept of contrasting characters - each play through i played as opposites. A saintly girl and a badass selfish prick of a guy. And i found it interesting and it inspired me to write my failed Fallout FF.

Sometimes you'll see a film or game and be inspired by a theme or style or genre. I wrote a story as a kid when i had major problems with GTA VC (it stopped working completely) and to fill the void i wrote something - like a cross between modding and the Matrix, in a weird way.

Poetry usually comes from sh*t i'm dealing with. (Expect to see a new poem in the next week or two guys). You have to train yourself (in a way) to be receptive to the muse. It can hit you anytime, and often in disguise. Something simple like a single scene from a film (Watched DR NO tonight and i enjoyed the "boring" scene where Bond rigs his room to see if people intrude (eg: hair over closet door etc). A scene like that could plant the seed in your mind of writing an espionage one (another project i should pick up!)

Songs - a disturbed album spawned a story for me. Open your eyes. Also engage in things like One Shots - I've almost got a couple of projects from posted themes. You never know!

Write a short, perhaps, in each genre you've thought about and see what strikes you...?

Hmm... I'd like to ask you writers about something. How far ahead do you usually plan before starting to write your stories? Like, do you have all the chapters from beginning to end planned out before even publishing the first one? I've still got all the major details planned out, but it's the chapters inbetween that are giving me trouble. It feels like a real hard job avoiding any filler chapters and keeping the story 'flowing' as I'd say, while still making it long enough to allow character development.

It can be hard. In City of Lies and JIF, I planned the basic structure chapter by chapter. I knew where the story was going. I knew what needed to happen in each chapter. How it happened, was my spontaneous.

Some people don't plan at all. Some people plan the basic plot points, some people map out the 8 point arc, and some do it by chapter. Sometimes people can be more meticulous. There is no hard and fast rule.

I try to find a balance. I think you need the story mapped. You need to know where each twist is, and what it is. You need to know what each chapter should offer. But you should also have room to move. You never know, you could write a scene and in your head, the main character might do something different and end up somewhere else and the story could change.

I've read good works that had little planning and poor works with lots of planning. It's finding the balance that works for you and that story that counts imo

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 6 days ago

Re: planning, I echo everything Mokrie has said. Sage advice. There's no one way to do it, it's all about your process. That said, I think you do yourself a disservice to have no clue on the direction you're heading in. Really, I find it's best not to start until you have the most important part figured out: the ending. This may change as you write, but you should always know where you're headed.
  • Tyler likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 6 days ago

Some of the best advice I've been given is, as em said, to always know where you're headed. Know where your story's going because otherwise you'll never get there

Often knowing the ending, which is important because without that you can't foreshadow or hint etc, is sometimes not enough. As mentioned previously sometimes it's hard to connect the dots, so to speak.

Sometimes i find it useful to work backward, find your last plot point and connect it backward to the one before.

Post it notes are handy; each chapters plot outline is written in one and to can storyboard easily enough

And be patient too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users