The Writers' Room

1,955 replies to this topic
athande
  • athande

MDCCLXXVI

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:55 AM

I usually wing it. If I try to come up with a fleshed out backstory, it gets way too complex.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 28 June 2014 - 11:08 AM

I just wing it and let the characters develop as the story moves on

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

Mahogany den writer, between the ashtrays and nuts.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 28 June 2014 - 03:36 PM Edited by Ziggy455, 28 June 2014 - 03:36 PM.

Damn. I'm the opposite. I like to flesh out my characters until I can fully see them in my head. The backstory becomes complex to me but is just as rewarding as the writing because I'm working to a form which must remain constant. A lot goes down before I even start writing.
  • MacAshford likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 29 June 2014 - 05:59 PM

A bit of both. You need to know where your story's going to really understand it. Foreshadowing and references, hints and stuff are hard to put in when you can't see the finish line. But I tend to create a framework of the story, then see where it takes me.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

This place is slow af lately, time to start up a discussion:

What do you thing this year's book of the year should be? :')

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:15 PM

Real Ultimate Power

514Qpk5Kn4L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• MacAshford likes this

The Leviathan
  • The Leviathan

Goof the floof.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States
  • Best Contributor [Movies & TV] 2012
    Best Writer 2012
    Story of the Year 2012 "Grand Theft Auto V"
    Best Concept Story 2012 "The Story of Albert de Silva"

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

About to start writing science fiction.

Brace yourselves...

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

This place is slow af lately, time to start up a discussion:

I don't know if it's this year but i read part of "Guess Who's Back" and found it bizarley entertaining. As soon as my library offers it on a normal loan (it's on one week only atm), I'll pick it up.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:32 PM

About to start writing science fiction.

Brace yourselves...

AEft4eK.gif

Just got back from doing a five-day stint as security for Latitude festival and good lawd. I've been awake for fifty hours straight up. I am dying. 

• The Leviathan likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:44 AM

You just salvaged that post, Ziggy. But seriously, an official word: Do not reply to him if you can only do so with a gif or whatever. I don't want another spate of petty squables, hence why i didn't reply to it.

Fifty Hours? f*cking hell man, that's harsh. How are you still awake?!

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:51 AM

You just salvaged that post, Ziggy. But seriously, an official word: Do not reply to him if you can only do so with a gif or whatever. I don't want another spate of petty squables, hence why i didn't reply to it.

Fifty Hours? f*cking hell man, that's harsh. How are you still awake?!

Me and the Leviathan are on peaceful terms. Nothing bad should come of our posts. :)

I don't know how I am alive. I'm so tired but really can't sleep. 

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

I hope so. I am not even going to respond to his posts unless i need to. I won't tolerate any spam though. I'm-a watchin' you, Tommy...

I imagine sooner, or later, you'll just crash and sleep for a month haha

• Ziggy455 likes this

Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:45 PM Edited by Carbonox, 28 July 2014 - 10:55 PM.

Hello to the GTAForums writers. Rookie here, who decided to quit lurking and actually start a project. This thread seems good enough for a bit of an introduction before I really start getting into business.

I have, for a while, been thinking about writing a GTA fanfic. Now I know it might be an overused idea, but there are plenty of reasons why I wish to specifically do that. One is that I'm terrible at designing whole environments for stories, and the other is that I want to, with the lack of a better term, "reform my career". Years ago I wrote GTA fanfiction on a now closed website (in my native language) but felt that it was terribly incomplete - I made several hasty decisions in the story, and the quality of chapters was inconsistent. Over time, interest faded from both me and the descending number of readers, and eventually it just collapsed.

Now I'm back, trying to entertain completely new readers (but who knows, maybe someone recognizes me from those days!) with something I thought up already in the beginning of the year:

Setting: Combination of the main cities of the GTA III universe, but with some more realistic tweaks. The cities are no longer islands, and Upstate Liberty will be somewhat developed, most likely acting as a setting for a couple of stories later on. There will be no mention of the 2D or HD universes' settings or characters (with the possible exception of cross-over characters, of course, including Lazlow and Fernando Martinez, those beloved personalities). I'm trying to keep other game series out of this as well - in my former story, I tried to spice things up by including Saints Row characters. It was fun at first, but no longer felt like GTA fanfiction after a while.

Characters: I will aim to use a vast array of characters from GTA III, VC, SA, LCS and VCS. I'm not particularly familiar with GTA Advance, so the characters in this game might end up being scrapped for the most part. Having years worth of GTA experience, I will attempt to keep characters' personalities true to what we see in the games. However, you may expect to see some expansion for the personalities of protagonists (especially Claude, who leaves a lot of space for imagination).

There will also be characters invented by me involved, for which I will probably put the most effort to ensure they don't fall into the background or otherwise appear to be expendable. As for whether they have high or low significance in the story, I can guarantee it'll be relatively high. I doubt I'll include any of them as protagonists though, unless it starts to feel like a good idea as time goes on.

Time period: I'm still troubled by this. I'm thinking 2008, like my last story, but this does require the use of some "artist's freedom" to turn characters from VCS, VC and SA in particular into much younger to fit this time period. However, I genuinely find it easier to write about modern day, because it's where I grew up in, and trying to write about a time period before my birth (such as 1992) could easily result in petty mistakes, such as involving technology that wasn't yet invented at the time. Maybe you more experienced guys could determine if there's any logic in bringing all the stuff from Vice City into 2008?

Plot: Mostly planned out, currently I'm still working on finding a way to get it properly started. In effect, this is an "alternative timeline" to what really happened in the GTA series, except with the aforementioned stuff about all protagonists' adventures taking place at the same time.

The plot will begin a few weeks after the beginning of GTA: San Andreas, when CJ is still in Los Santos hanging out with Sweet, Smoke and Ryder. As for what's going on in other cities, I haven't decided yet. As you can figure, the biggest problem especially with Vice City and Liberty City is that I'm trying to fit two protagonists into them at the same time, without messing too badly with the storyline. My idea right now is that in Vice City, Tommy could be still working with Rosenberg trying to find Sonny's money and drugs, while Vic is serving in the army. (EDIT: Before anyone points out a paradox in this, I guess it's best for me to dismiss that by stating that in this universe, it was someone completely different from Vic that Tommy and the Forellis were dealing with. :p) In Liberty City, we probably have Claude involved in petty thefts for now, while Toni is an established goon in Salvatore's organization. 

A good rule of thumb: If an important plot event that occurred in a GTA game hasn't been mentioned, it hasn't happened in my fanfic then. ;)

Writing style: I'm a man who quickly becomes bored if the story I'm writing is too serious. You may expect a combination of Saints Row-style goofiness combined with semi-serious and realistic storytelling. Nothing overly extreme, of course, such as a crossdresser beating up pimps with a payphone and 10 minutes later putting his badly suffering friend into permanent sleep. :D

End of description.

Now, I'll obviously be excited to hear feedback, and possible ideas for improvement before I get going. I should also note that it may take a while for that, due to the aforementioned difficulties in getting started properly, along with the fact there are still pretty big gaps in the plot. English also isn't my first language, so I may have more work to do than a native speaker in order to make the language used in a story sound more colorful.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

Well from what I can see, I think you might have problems keeping the focus. Multiple cities, multiple protagonists? And you've admitted you get bored easily. I would be worried that it would end up as an unfocused melee of random GTA-type encounters. I'd be weary of that.

What I'd do would be to split it up. One single story, set in San Andreas, Liberty City, and Vice City, all at once? My head's already spinning!

I'm not saying it can't be done though, and if you truly believe in it....

Personally, I'd split it up - release a series of shorter stories, each one interlacing with events of the other.  OR take the Pulp fiction approach - show large chunks of the story from one character's viewpoint as different "acts"

Welcome, though. I'm sure you're familiar with the general rules of such places, so sit down, have a drink and chill.

And don't worry about FF - a lot of people dislike them but I'm a strong supporter in them (well, see my sig and you'll see why!) Good luck and feel free to ask anything from us if you want. Most of us won't mind PMs asking for advice, but you can post that kinda  thing in this  topic. First drink's on me.

Carbonox
  • Carbonox

Too weird to live but much too rare to die

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:47 PM

Heh, I've done the multiple cities, multiple protags approach in my old story, but back then, I didn't exactly worry about realism, so the characters ended up travelling between cities as if they were all situated next to each other. I can see that it won't work if I try to make it more believable and reader-friendly over here. :D

Your message served as inspiration for me keeping the different settings separated though, for most of the story anyway. After all, it doesn't make sense for CJ to suddenly end up in Vice City out of all places, and hook up with Tommy and/or Vic out of all possible people. Maybe the entire first half (or more) of the story shall be based on character development in the separate locations while indeed showing large chunks of one character's viewpoint at a time. Later on, if it feels that the time is right, I may start allowing the "worlds to collide", so to speak. (Causing characters from entirely different cities to interact with each other)

• Ziggy455 likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:20 AM

Tom Clancy springs to mind (and many other authors). I mention him because many of his books feature story threads that seem irrelevant but they all come together in the end. That could work - a collision course so to speak.... was it Vantage Point, or Memento (film) that did something similar? The concept of "worlds colliding" is delicious in this setting.

One tip though: take you time and plan it out. It can be tedious at times, but it'll show when you upload the last chapters. Something like this, i'd say planning is more important than a single-threaded story.

• Ziggy455 likes this

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:18 AM

I'm trying different approaches to writing, and lately I've been leaning more to the approach of 'Know your characters'. I've literally written almost 10,000 words just on characters, backstories, notes on appearance/personality, and conflict, internally.

Am I overkilling my story a little?

Tyler
  • Tyler

It's not an easy thing to meet your maker

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:24 AM

Writing is writing. The more you do the easier words will flow and your mind will be able to focus on the content you're trying to form on the screen. However, I don't think the technique of meticulously listing off facts and thoughts of characters works in the long-run. For me, the best way to shape characters is to put them into the conflict of the story they're in and have the events play out as they would. I don't need to know their whole life story for that.

Though to be fair all of my writing is based on the people I know already-- the characters are already fleshed out because they already exist. I'm just making them do other things.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:44 AM

Firstly I believe in a balance
You have to create some concept in your mind - character, setting or plot - but you can't spent all your time doing so. Equally you can't just write a story with none of it.

Ziggy, you might be falling into the infinite loop of planning - if you've written that much, surely you already have a start of a story? Also, what have you written so much about?

Tyler's got a good point; many characters are based on something or someone. People I know have influenced my characters, and usually they're reflections of myself. Fallout was to be that - two sides of my own character. I drew on some real life experiences of my own and those around me, even injecting their own words and actions into it - same applied to rami in JIF - the jaw thing he does in one scene is something I do a lot.

But what good is it if you can write an essay on these characters, if you can't put them into a story
If you want the technical approach, stop working on the characters, and focus on setting - draw maps etc - then the plot. Then simply put them all together and see what happens.

But as Tyler said, writing is writing. So in short; write

"I am not a writer, except when I write."

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:14 AM

As I alluded to in my PM to you, Ziggy, I think it's a case of needing to write as a way to discover what story you want to tell and how you want to tell it; you can't 'plan' that. I think first drafts are overrated - people knock out a first draft and think they're done, and they're not. And I'm not talking about writing something and then going back over it to tighten it up and fix errors; I'm talking about writing a scene, a chapter, a short story, for example, and then looking back and seeing that it's not working and cutting the whole thing and starting again, only now with a new idea or discovery in mind.

• Tyler likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 03 August 2014 - 10:53 PM

Man, i've hit a brick wall in my newest story (not fallout). So far, the story's playing out alright, but the biggest obstacle is standing in front of its own solution. It's like a catch 22. In order to get past it, the characters need to do something that they can't do until they are past it.

I had it all planned out, and trying to pad it out a little (for lack of a better term), i've hit this snag. I know the end game. I know the climax, the finale. Only the trigger of the whole story has left the characters in such a situation that that finale was going to be the way out (if this makes any sense - i'm trying to not give away plot details).

I think i might need to go back to the drawing board and try to connect these two events differently.

I think I've lost my touch haha.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:32 AM

Maybe you could prolong the ending, add some more events inbetween, maybe some Deus Ex Machina?

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

Prolonging the ending isn't going to solve anything. There already is a dues ex machina which i want to play down or eliminate. The problem is connecting them.

The story starts and something happens. this leaves the goodguys in a pickle. The bad guys do something that makes sh*t worse, so the good guys have to take drastic actions. Only these actions would not lead to anything more than what the bad guys already did....

it's like if someone steals a hundred dollars from you, offering them ten dollars to leave you alone isn't going to work, as they already have more. I need to rethink things

• MacAshford likes this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:46 AM

I don't know what to advise :p

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:07 AM

I think it's a case of me sitting down and really thinking tbh. Admittedly I've not given enough information for adequate advise. :p Thanks though.

• MacAshford likes this

PhilosophicalZebra
  • PhilosophicalZebra

Eh.

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:39 AM

It's hard to ask for advice without giving away the plot. Explaining can be hard. lol

• MacAshford likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, and if i gave away the plot, it'd solve the problem because there'd be no need to write it at all!

I sat down and dusted off my old noticeboard, got out the cards and thumbtacks and string.

Spoiler

I've also begun to think that the antagonists are wrong and need changing. I like the start, but I'm starting to think some things.

• athande likes this

MadeBrazen
  • MadeBrazen

Brass

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 05 August 2014 - 02:23 PM

Yeah, and if i gave away the plot, it'd solve the problem because there'd be no need to write it at all!

I sat down and dusted off my old noticeboard, got out the cards and thumbtacks and string.

Spoiler

I've also begun to think that the antagonists are wrong and need changing. I like the start, but I'm starting to think some things.

Aha well now you have posted this I can see the problem loud and clear. 

One of the little white pins needs to be connected to two or more of the little green pins. No Yellow pin should be touching any red pins and the total lack of purple pins will leave you at a dead end every time.

I hope this has helped

saltinespike
  • saltinespike

Tired Marine

• Members

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:52 PM

Hey there everyone. :ph34r:

• Tyler and Lochie like this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 05 August 2014 - 11:02 PM

Spoiler

Aha well now you have posted this I can see the problem loud and clear. 

One of the little white pins needs to be connected to two or more of the little green pins. No Yellow pin should be touching any red pins and the total lack of purple pins will leave you at a dead end every time.

I hope this has helped

sh*t! Why did i not see this before?!

Hey there everyone. :ph34r:

'sup?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users