Photo

The Writers' Room

1,930 replies to this topic
Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 16 April 2014 - 05:10 PM

Guys, don't kill me for this but I was thinking of uh writing a GTAV fan fiction...*hides on a planet far far away*

I actually have one in the works.... ;)

This is kind of a stupid question, but is this thread essentially for pitching ideas and pimping stories?

It can be.

As for your idea, i like the concept of not knowing who the enemy is. Not knowing who's "infected" or not could create a lot of tension and suspense. That would be your best pal in such a story i think. Crossovers can be interesting but also difficult as you A - have to almost justify making it FF-based, and B have to create another or merge 2 worlds.

I think the concept's a good one - most works these days have the bad guy signposted for all to see. It's one thing Cloverfield did well (though i'm not a fan) - you never see the monster, the enemy is never revealed. that kinda makes it worse :p

I've also found FF.net to be very slow in that sense - you have to really inbed yourself with the community - review a lot of people's works. You review 10 people's works, you might get one review back. :sui:

Perhaps I will post it then. My other stories all have reviews, so I was kind of worried that people were thinking, ...."GTA IV? But that game is old! I don't want to read about that!"

I don't leave too many reviews on FF.net, because a lot of the new stories in the GTA section are those 'OMG what if a craaaaaaaazy girl fell in love with Trevor?!' or 'What if Michael had another daughter and she helped him out in robberies?!' variety, which are always horribly written. AO3 doesn't have as many immature fangirls, but the GTA IV tag doesn't get much traffic.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

Mahogany den writer, between the ashtrays and nuts.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 16 April 2014 - 09:37 PM

When it comes to fanfiction, I don't think determining audience reaction and population accounts for much. You say GTA IV is old. I am polishing off a Grand Theft Auto III spin-off -which I do when I'm bored- and it's coming along nicely. The typical stance I have though is that fanfiction may be fun to write, but if you want to be taken seriously as a writer, sooner or later you have to drop it and show us something of your own creation and if people like it, continue it. 

• Mokrie Dela likes this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:35 AM Edited by Vice President, 17 April 2014 - 02:37 AM.

tumblr_mkffawqgr21qins52o1_400.gif

^ me on my way to write my next project

About that fan-fiction that y'all are talking about, I figure that fan-fiction is almost as good as normal fiction. If you wanted, you could even swap around the characters and location names to make it original if the fact that it's a fan fiction bothers you or the readers so much :)

EDIT: Guys, we need some more chatting going on in here, I've noticed it's slowing down, so I figured I might be able to help with a questionnaire for you all to answer if you're down with it. We might even learn something new about each other

Writers' Discussion Questionnaire -  2014

1. What was the first book you read?

2. What is your overall favourite book?

3. What is your favourite bookstore?

4. What is your favourite action book?

5. What is your favourite romance book?

6. What is your favourite horror book?

7. What is your favourite fantasy book?

8. What is your favourite sci-fi book?

9. What is your favourite genre?

10. Do you read comics/manga/graphic novels?

11. If so (to question 10), what is your favourite?

12. What is your favourite author?

Coat.
  • Coat.

Flamboyant

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:28 AM

When do you guys write? In what enviourunmemt? What times? Do you write whilst listening to music or in silent? Do you write pen to paper or computer?

Just wondering seems I haven't written in a while.

When I usually write it is on the computer in the evenings. If there are people around whilst I write and they are talking, I get bothered and when there is no one around I get bored. I'm finding it harder and harder for me to write something I like. Is that just me? Like, you go ahead and write this story you had you envisioned it in your mind and after you've gone over it you deem it to be sh*t.

I look back on Peasant Blurs and feel horrible that I produced that. I really want to continue it, but I feel I need to go back and redo it. I don't know if I'm lazy or not, but I've kinda lost interest in writing it but the story is so clear in my mind.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:02 AM Edited by Ziggy455, 18 April 2014 - 09:04 AM.

When it comes to writing, I'm pretty solid in my environment. I'll lock myself in my room and I'll always have music. I'll throw on some Aphex Twin, Nine Inch Nails, or some decent kind of dubstep/chillstep or anything which I think sounds good or inspires me. I don't write with people around me because I'll get distracted. Write with the door closed, and rewrite with the door open.

Most people understand that if I want to write, I need peace. Nobody can write if they're constantly being nudged and asked to do stuff. My normal time of creating is at night, when I get home from work or whenever I have free time, I'll set myself a goal of 2,000 words a day of solid work.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

I write usually with something on in the background - TV or music (soundtracks are good - no lyrics).

Writing Fallout I usually have FO3 or FONV or my Fallout's soundtracks playing. Not sure about COL, but i think JIF was written with the Splinter Cell Conviction and/or CT soundtracks on.

Times? Whenever I can, and feel like it.

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 19 April 2014 - 07:28 PM

I like to write in the evening, and I always listen to music when I write. There are two reasons for this: One is that I usually feel more inspired when listening to music, and the other is that I have long, talon like nails which produce a loud clacking sound when I type, so I like to drown that out with music.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 20 April 2014 - 05:15 AM

TVTropes really is a godsend.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich, so wie du bist.

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Workshop 2014
    Most Improved 2014
    Funniest Member 2014
    April Fools Winner 2015

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:59 AM

I posed a poem about a week or so ago, "no more I love you's"

Not sure if its worth commenting or anything. I came back to it after a week to reread it and man, the feels came at me.

Coat.
  • Coat.

Flamboyant

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

feels-train.jpg

All aboard the feels train. Departing from Florida.
  • universetwisters likes this

RiaJay21
  • RiaJay21

Post-Post-Ironic

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

When do you guys write? In what enviourunmemt? What times? Do you write whilst listening to music or in silent? Do you write pen to paper or computer?

Just wondering seems I haven't written in a while.

When I usually write it is on the computer in the evenings. If there are people around whilst I write and they are talking, I get bothered and when there is no one around I get bored. I'm finding it harder and harder for me to write something I like. Is that just me? Like, you go ahead and write this story you had you envisioned it in your mind and after you've gone over it you deem it to be sh*t.

I look back on Peasant Blurs and feel horrible that I produced that. I really want to continue it, but I feel I need to go back and redo it. I don't know if I'm lazy or not, but I've kinda lost interest in writing it but the story is so clear in my mind.

I always have more success writing in the evening (although that's not always by choice - taking work into account), in my study which is relatively quiet and secluded. It varies, for me, as to whether or not I write with music. I've created playlists for projects before, but rarely end up using them. I prefer virtual silence when I'm writing; I don't expect complete silence, that's not practical at home, but I like to write when it's quiet. I'll combine the two. I'll draft segments on pen and paper, but will always type everything up and polish it. For major projects, I'll have a double spaced hard copy to pick apart and then re-write chapters from.

I do that all the time; I think it's one of the reasons I've been having trouble getting anything off the ground. The last thing I wrote that I felt proud of what in 2011, and I feel like I set some kind of bar for myself with it; it's something I haven't ever been able to replicate or transfer to other projects, and that's frustrating. I'll draft maybe a chapter of something, and realize that I've actually become worse at writing, not better. I'm trying to find that something again. This project was by no means perfect or even publishable, but there was something there. I've not felt the same way about anything since.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 24 April 2014 - 11:14 PM

I spent an hour typing up a critique of someone's work earlier, but it was so long it wouldn't post. So i copied it all, and refreshed. Only the copy didn't copy, so i lost it all.

:sui:

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:31 AM

I quite literally spend all my time at work and my energy that could be put into writing is spent on trying not to murder every single worker and manager and burning down my place of work so I can dance around the flames.

You think I'm just f*cking around but I'll do it soon, son. Flames are gonna blow.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 01 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

Such is life as an adult. Wake up early, work all day, pass out in front of Eastenders. Such a happy life...

In other news, I've hit a roadblock in my story. Our heroes have reached a town, and are seeing the damage that <undisclosed event> has made. I know where the story's going, but my brain just can not get the words on the page to take the story from this location to the next....

shoot me, please.

ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:15 PM Edited by ainsz, 14 May 2014 - 01:58 PM.

So, Research...

How do you guys go about collecting research for your stories? Whether it be for original work or Fan Fics, tying your plots in with the facts can be a large part of the fun. Getting it right I'd say is crucial for the readers satisfaction. 

I'm not the most invested fan of Fallout, but even for someone who is, I'd presume getting the lore down is half the work. Of course, playing the game would be the most qualitative method but probably the most prolonged. I've been using Wikia but I have to ask: how reliable are Wiki's?   

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 14 May 2014 - 01:59 PM

Wikis are great for reference. But to rely on, you gotta play the game. One GTA wiki site states that 72's lead character is named something, but in game (and another site) states him as Judd Parker. I've had good experience with Fallout Wikia, but your firsthand knowledge is invaluable. No wikia can substitute that.

Take COL or JIF - much of that success comes from tying it with IV - and that's because i knew the game so well. I'm working on a GTA V one, and that's a little harder because i feel less attached to GTA V than IV. Fallout is a good example - there's a lot of lore there, and it's difficult to tie it in with the story you're writing.
Reaching Fanfics is easy - your own gameplay, youtube vids (cutscene and gameplay for quick reference), online game-scripts, wikias - you have all these tools at your disposal, and an already-established world and characters.

Original works are much harder. There is no ready-made world, no pre-developed characters. You gotta do it all. Sure you could base it in NYC, where you might already have knowledge of but you've got to do all the work.

The upside is that FF much of the work's done for you, and with originals you can create something tailor made for your story and something epic.
The downside is that with FF you got to get it spot on perfect - something i failed with in Fallout (which is why i think I'm receiving little interest in it atm). You've got to nail that feeling from the games (or film etc), nail the characters and make the reader feel they're experiencing something "official". With originals you've got to do all the legwork, and missing out even a tiny thing can f*ck everything up.

Certain FFs rely on atmosphere - and Fallout can be considered in that catagory. Others are built of small details, so it depends what you're researching.

what are you researching (if you can say) or are you just asking generally? If it's a in depth, gritty noir about a chicago cop in the prohibition era, you'd have to delve into the history books in your library, watch old Al Capone movies, and lots of noirs. If it's a technical war story, you'd have to research war, tactics and politics. Tom Clancy, perhaps? A story about heists, you'd have to research them too - read news reports about famous heists, look at those in say GTA V and how they wouldn't work etc.

Researching the world is a key point - I once wrote one set in NYC and LA, and spent a lot of time on google maps. Street view. You need to know the physical setting, but the era too. Then theres characters - you're own creations, often, you've got to develop them (and i find that difficult. I'd love some tips on character developments). Then there's technical details like guns, calibers and ballistics; cars and mechanics etc.

It can be daunting and often people overlook it, but that often shows. I haven't written originals for a long time. Nikolay's Nightmare was the last one i tried and no one took any interest in it, so it died with a whimper. I must confess that knowing FFs will get more interest has pulled me in to them more, so i write them. After Fallout I might pick up my AC one, and there's GTA V one too. But even though people will see "GTA V Fanfic" and be interested, it doesn't mean you can just sit back. You put as much effort in FFs as you do in originals, and it all starts with research and prep.

Don't rely on anything other than the game, or film - the source media. Quick fact-checking, use youtube or wikias, but only to remind you of what you already know. Playing through GTA IV, absorbing every little detail is what made COL good. I'm proud of it, i worked hard on it, and i still had to put an effort it, but it only worked so well because of the groundwork the source game had already laid. Your own knowledge of the game will be more useful than any number of wikias.

ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • England

Posted 14 May 2014 - 02:33 PM Edited by ainsz, 14 May 2014 - 02:35 PM.

It's funny you mention 72 (Just did a quick check on GTA Wiki and there, it claims the lead character is 'Vic Mauer'  :lol:), At one time I wanted to write up The Science Of Crime. I'd say I could be on the same page as you in how confident I would writing anything set in GTA IV. Liberty City is where most of my ideas formulate which is annoying. Applying them to a real world setting doesn't appeal to me once I've started brainstorming – while having it set in LC means it's hard for the reader to take it seriously. Which is basically why I'm writing The Extras.

Without giving too much away, I've been researching the old west for my next fan-fic. I'm not the most clued up on the series as of now but am giving it a replay. Trouble with open worlds is that, just by playing the story, there is still a lot you can miss. The wikia articles are helpful but some have conflicting information or just simply don't make sense. I'm trying to cram a lot of plot points into one time frame (I don't want any major time leaps) but finding that time that allows for it to all add up to the lore is a challenge. 

I suppose with IV, it's only one game you need write around. Maybe some points in V as well but that games pretty thin on plot – I'd say you'd have a lot of freedom with V. But with Fallout, it's a whole series you need to honour. 

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:08 PM

That's exactly what i was on about. couldn't remember the name. Vic Mauer is a more obvious parody of Bauer, to be fair.

It's easy enough to base something in LC and "transpose" it to NYC if it can work in a non GTA world.

Oh man - old west? I'm sold already! I should resurrect my Wild West story. Never managed to expand the plot on that though.

With Fallout i made the decision to create a new region - I know exactly where it is, and it's stated clearly where it's set, but i still want to keep some ambiguity to it - the world would have changed a lot before the great war and after, so i want to keep a sort of non-familiarity with the world.

It's new characters, new setting with some old mutants and some new ones EG: "White Death" ;) I think now the story is out of the Vault it's moving on, but I'm back at the point where I don't feel I'm getting much interest - which has really killed my will to keep writing it!

I almost uploaded a teaser of my GTA V ff earlier but it's not written past a few chapters yet.

I definitely feel the weight of all the fallout games' lore on my shoulders writing Fallout. You're right with GTA IV - it's just one game and it's easy enough to integrate that with your story. I think my Fallout will feature one or two characters from a previous game - haven't decided yet. I've already included hints that the Lone Wanderer and Courier had visited the place where I'm setting it, there's mentions of DC and NV, but i want it to stand on its own but under the Fallout umbrella....

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Ayyyy, I've been away from here for a few weeks now due to my extremely annoying lack of creativity since I finished WTTE. I'm thinking that this gamescript really isn't going to work. Maybe I screenplays/TV scripts are the only thing I can get the right amount of creativity into. Whenever I start a gamescript, I get excited and do the first few missions and think it's going to be fantastic then just hit a barrier where writing the next missions feels like an eternal chore. When I wrote WTTE, I just loved writing it all the way through and the ideas just kept pouring through. I've thought that it may just have been the story that I found easier but WTTE was originally a scrapped gamescript I tried to write. So I guess game-scripts aren't my thing after all. :(

On another note, I have been writing a TV script as a bit of a practice and it seems to be going great after a couple of thousand words which can only be a good thing :D

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 18 May 2014 - 10:40 AM

Good to hear man. It always sucks when creativity leaves you. Worse is when you feel creative and with literally no time to write...

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 May 2014 - 12:29 PM

Ayyyy, I've been away from here for a few weeks now due to my extremely annoying lack of creativity since I finished WTTE. I'm thinking that this gamescript really isn't going to work. Maybe I screenplays/TV scripts are the only thing I can get the right amount of creativity into. Whenever I start a gamescript, I get excited and do the first few missions and think it's going to be fantastic then just hit a barrier where writing the next missions feels like an eternal chore. When I wrote WTTE, I just loved writing it all the way through and the ideas just kept pouring through. I've thought that it may just have been the story that I found easier but WTTE was originally a scrapped gamescript I tried to write. So I guess game-scripts aren't my thing after all. :(

On another note, I have been writing a TV script as a bit of a practice and it seems to be going great after a couple of thousand words which can only be a good thing :D

Do you figure your ending out ahead of time or are you just writing blind hoping to find your way there? In scriptwriting, more than most, you really need to understand the structure of your story and know where you're headed, if only vaguely. Might be something to think about in terms of your motivation to keep writing; if you know where you're going, then you should know that all the most exciting moments lie ahead of you.

• MacAshford likes this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for the advice :D. I don't really plan endings to be honest, I sort of have a slight idea of how the stories will end but I prefer to see how the characters develop and link that into the ending. I'm considering scrapping the gamescript now and just moving on to either my new TV script or a novel that I'm working on. My main goal at the minute is to produce a novel that I can self-publish through KDP, I know it'll almost definitely not make any money but I just wanna do it so I can say that I've digitally published my own novel.

Also, I figured that you might not all know this but if you publish a novel through iBooks, Apple then legally have full rights of the work. I think that if you use KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing) then although you can't publish on other digital book stores, you still own most of the rights. :)

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 19 May 2014 - 12:38 AM

I'd suggest that you try figuring your ending out first, and then writing towards it. Letting your characters lead the way is something that you can get away with more in a novel, but scripts are all about arcs, and you can't craft that without knowing your starting and ending points. It sounds mechanical, I know, but understanding those sorts of parameters frees your creativity up to direct your attention where it's most needed.
  • Failure likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 19 May 2014 - 08:51 AM

It sounds mechanical, I know, but understanding those sorts of parameters frees your creativity up to direct your attention where it's most needed.

Scripts always feel mechanical to me. I've read some really good ones and really poor ones, but even the good ones feel like a list of stage directions - I just don't get on with them that much. They're nowhere near as fluid or informative as novels (which might be stating the obvious or being ignorant, i don't know), and i just can't immerse myself in them.

I'm currently reading "Command Authority (Ghost written by Mark... somethingorother - under Clancy's name), and finding it pretty poor. It keeps jumping back in time which throws me off. One chapter you're following Jack Ryan Jr, then the next you're following Jack Ryan Sr. and the books keep referring to them both as "Ryan" (I dislike such a familiar character referred to by surname like that. It kills the intimacy for me. Surely first name basis, right?). But after the lesson Em taught me about viewpoint (which actually seems to have stuck!) my eyes are open to that kinda thing and half way through there's a four page essay on the life history of some random US Delta Force soldier, who's only a side character.

There's a lot of references to previous books, so it's clear the guy knows the universe, but i dunno, i really miss the quality of Clancy's earlier works....

Oh and the book still insists on including stupid maps, as if we can't picture what a building looks like. That winds me up

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:49 AM

I haven't written anything in ages. I do, however, have a Diploma in Creative Writing from the local polytechnic, which amounted to a $5,000 bill and eight months of doing f*ck all. 

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 22 May 2014 - 09:33 AM

Ouch! That's cool, though. I've often wished I had such a qualification beyond GCSEs, but I always viewed it as I'd learn more by writing, not by talking about writing. Might have been wrong, and the idea's in my head about doing a sort of day-release course, but i doubt i will...

There's a topic buried deep in this section called "One Shots" - where a theme is set, and you have to write to that theme. You can bump that topic if you want something to write (I can't praise that topic enough, because I find it great to "just write" - no prep, you get a theme, and run with it).

The way I did it was just that - take the theme and write, with minimal editing - almost like an exercise. I found that, when my muse had abandoned me, and I couldn't write my bigger story projects, One Shots still allowed me to write.

G's Ah's
  • G's Ah's

Hello, My Children

• Members
  • New-Zealand

Posted 23 May 2014 - 02:56 AM

Ouch! That's cool, though. I've often wished I had such a qualification beyond GCSEs, but I always viewed it as I'd learn more by writing, not by talking about writing. Might have been wrong, and the idea's in my head about doing a sort of day-release course, but i doubt i will...

There's a topic buried deep in this section called "One Shots" - where a theme is set, and you have to write to that theme. You can bump that topic if you want something to write (I can't praise that topic enough, because I find it great to "just write" - no prep, you get a theme, and run with it).

The way I did it was just that - take the theme and write, with minimal editing - almost like an exercise. I found that, when my muse had abandoned me, and I couldn't write my bigger story projects, One Shots still allowed me to write.

It's a student loan that I got from the government who have sent the first of what I expect to be many letters to me showing how much I owe them and repayment slips. And that is actually on the cheap side of things. 

And I don't mind writing for a theme. The problem is, I'm not able to stick with one topic. 

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 May 2014 - 08:42 AM

Surely with the loans you don't pay back until your start earning X amount?

RE theme - that's the beauty of One Shots - as long as you're routed in a theme, or connected to it, you can deviate it, as long as there's a sensical, connecting thread. And because it's a one shot topic, each post you write is usually short, so it won't be long enough to fully go off on a tangent :)

It's just a fun writing game.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 23 May 2014 - 11:42 PM

The current one-shot theme is a bit of a hard one, maybe changing it might attract more participants. :p

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 24 May 2014 - 10:12 AM

Change the theme to Wagon Wheels and I'll win awards.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users