Photo

The Writers' Room

2,101 replies to this topic
Mick.
  • Mick.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 26 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

Would anybody be interested to read Peasant Blurs if I continued it? I'm honesty thinking of ditching it.
  • MacAshford likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 26 March 2014 - 10:51 AM

I'm still following it, Coat. I think I'm still a chapter behind, but I'm following it. You have to remember that this section can be slow - even the most popular stories can seem like they're ignored. Patience, young skywalker :D

• MacAshford likes this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:42 PM Edited by Vice President, 30 March 2014 - 02:13 AM.

I'll keep reading it too :)

EDIT: Finished posting the whole of WTTE now, hope you all enjoy it :)

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:31 PM

So I've taken the plunge and uploaded the next chapter of Fallout. I think this has more drama than The Road! haha.

Anyway, let's see how that goes down.  About as well as those burgers in VP's sig, i bet ;)

• MacAshford likes this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:20 AM

I just read the chapter, I enjoyed the previous chapter but the this latest is much better.

Spoiler
:p

I'm going to improve my knowledge of fiction and narrative or whatever they're called soon so that I can do feedback posts and help out around here.

In other news, I've been getting in to a ton of different books lately, one has stood out in particular, it's called Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. It's quite a popular book, I've not finished it yet but I'm pretty far into it. If you're all into that conspiracy theory shish, then you'd probably enjoy it. Despite the fact that it's aimed at adults, it's extremely easy to read, not going off and using complicated words while still maintaining great description skills. 

(That was my first sort of book review I think)

I'm definitely going to have to read this infamous "The Road" sometime soon.

On a different topic, do any of you guys read manga? :) 

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:35 PM

Well one of the things that sparked this story was the contrast between the characters i played FO with - and contrasting aspects of the human psyche (or at least my own). My mate loves mark - for one reason alone: the incident with a fork when he's introduced.

• MacAshford likes this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 01 April 2014 - 08:34 PM Edited by Vice President, 02 April 2014 - 12:02 AM.

Yeah, I noticed how the characters seem to be quite different to each other. One of my problems when I write, is I just have all of the characters almost the same, I just can't make them unique. Maybe it's because they sort of have to be like that for the stories. I'm not sure.

My next project is probably loosely based on a manga I read a few days ago about a framed criminal and his suicidal hostage being on the run for a couple of months, the kidnapper and the victim end up falling in love. I'm trying write a story like that but I'm going to make it quite different to that. I've been experimenting with a few different ideas lately and so far I have that a criminal is forced to kidnap a rich heir to a huge company and take him to a warehouse to ransom him but the gang that the criminal is in tries to steal the ransom money for themselves so the criminal sets the victim free but instead the kidnapper follows the victim and goes on a road trip across the country where they become best friends and each chapter is set in a different city where they get dragged into hilarious situations. Like I said, it's quite different but it should be okay. :)

EDIT: http://random-name-g...or.info/random/ this seems to be the best RNG around lately, the names aren't batsh*t-crazy fantasy names like some of the RNG's spit out

EDIT 2: Keep getting ideas flooding in to my head for my road trip project, must be a sign to hurry up and get to writing it :p

EDIT 3: Planning on having the two main characters the exact opposite so I can test out if I really can make unique characters

EDIT 4:  Sorry for all of the edits :p

Mick.
  • Mick.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 04:18 AM

VP, your signature reminds me of that South Park episode.
  • MacAshford likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 02 April 2014 - 05:47 PM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 02 April 2014 - 05:48 PM.

Haha I had to youtube to remind me what you mean but yeah. I clicked the related "Token play the bass" one, as i remember that making me laugh.

Why do people always think black people can play the bass so well?

Ah. Okay then. Haha.

• MacAshford likes this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 02 April 2014 - 09:51 PM

Aha, my signature is from the TV show "Supernatural" which is pretty kickass. :)

Mick.
  • Mick.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:53 PM Edited by Coat., 08 April 2014 - 12:54 PM.

Just (sort of) finished an essay for advanced English which involves me writing a 1,500 body about ideologies; liberal humanist, post structuralist and how in Dead White Males (by David Williamson) the views are portrayed through conflicting characters with close textual references. Then, choose our own text to write on about the same subject matter; which I chose 'Waking Life'.

The whole 1,500 word thing isn't a problem for me. I have a problem wiring over the limit and not being able to "cut off the fat" - same problem I have with writing Peasant Blurs, as Tyler pointed out. I have almost 3,000 words on it and going over the limit will only deduct marks.

Don't mind me while I slip out and kill myself.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:11 AM Edited by Vice President, 10 April 2014 - 01:53 AM.

I guess that sucks, maybe you could split the essay into sentences and chose which sentences have a higher priority than the others but I'm not exactly the best person for giving advice on this, I can never seem to reach word limits :p

In other news, I had a strange idea that at Christmas, Writers Discussion could have a "secret santa" type of game. Each person would be paired with another (randomly of-course) and they would both (seperately) write a short fan-fiction of each others work. Just a thought, although the holiday season is months away :p

In other, other news, I've been having quite a problem of choosing what to write next... I have two ideas: one is for a short novel and the other is a gamescript/concept thread... Which would you guys rather see? :)

EDIT: I tried writing a little bit of the short novel, here's a small part of the prologue, just to show the contrast between the two main characters...

Spoiler

blitz
  • blitz

lit

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Peru
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:05 AM

I was thinking about writing a short piece regarding a small time high school drug dealer that sorta gets way too much control and sh*t starts to go down (people overdose, gets busted by cops, house gets raided). Sort of inspired by Jesse Pinkman's younger years. :p

• The Leviathan, Mokrie Dela and MacAshford like this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 10 April 2014 - 02:28 AM Edited by Vice President, 10 April 2014 - 02:28 AM.

Go for it, what's the worst that could happen? :)

• blitz likes this

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

Ain't nothin' over til it's over.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 10 April 2014 - 03:22 AM

I'd read that if you uploaded it. 

• blitz likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:06 AM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 10 April 2014 - 10:10 AM.

Man, I love that idea about writing a short piece based on someone elses work. I really do, it'd be a great way to offer a fresh take on the original, but also a nice way for some people to write something outside of their usual comfort zone.

How to do it secret, though? When you upload it, we'll know.

But saying that, I (or someone else) could very easily set it up:

We all "sign up" by the 1st Dec. then I will do the random draw out of a hat, then everyone writes their FF. They send it to me, I upload it in one topic, and maybe we'll have a vote for the winner. I might even have a quiet word with mods about prizes.

I was going to say I'd do the draw on a youtube video, but then that'd eliminate the secret aspect....

I do like this idea though...

Blitz: do it!

VP: Go with whatever you feel better with. Sit down, plan, storyboard, write character dossiers, draw the map of where it's set, draw the characters naked - whatever your planning process is. Get the basics down, and you'll most likely know which one you need to carry on with first. Get your head into it and you heart will lead the way.

Personally, I'd prefer a novel/traditional format story. I'm better at feedback for them, and am more comfortable reading them. Gamescripts... well, while I'm half planning on resurrecting GTA Thames City, either via a story or "concept", I find novels easier to deal with.

• blitz likes this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna mix it up a bit and write both then randomise which one gets posted first :).... 

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

ifedupwiththisworld.gif

It seems my days are consisted of working long hours, and as such it means that my writing is becoming non-existent. It kind of sucks really, that it's not really apathy but exhaustion that causes me to throw away my writing hours. I mean, come on, seriously? Nobody wants to write after they've been awake for thirty hours, and if they are, they soon won't be. I can't write when I'm that tired! It's monumental to even eat a wagon wheel when I'm that tired. 

Also, I find that I have this recurring habit of getting through the chunk of a story, and then looking back and questioning the dimensions of my characters. Are they real enough? Do they come off in the way I want? Do they live and breathe off their own accord? 

It's that recurring voice of damnation that toys with me, and why my stories pile up after 40,000 words each way. This has happened with everything: Portland Chase, Innocence and Loneliness, What Truly Counts, URA Redemptio. I'll be glad when I get to Uni and get some free time to really start sending some short stories away to magazines, because right now, the real world seems to be taking up my time, and that is something I really, really can't stand when my writing is in serious need of some work and development. 

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

Oh man, wagon wheels. Jammy ones? They're the sh*t.

• Ziggy455 likes this

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:13 AM

I'm all about that blue Wagon Wheel sh*t, son!

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 12 April 2014 - 11:17 PM

Good man. But f*ck you, man, It's gone midnight, it's been a long couple of days, and I really want one.... f*ck going out just for one though. AGH

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:24 AM

Guys, don't kill me for this but I was thinking of uh writing a GTAV fan fiction...*hides on a planet far far away*

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 11:55 AM

is eminence still around?

Real_Badgirl
  • Real_Badgirl

Thug

• Members

Posted 13 April 2014 - 05:52 PM

This is kind of a stupid question, but is this thread essentially for pitching ideas and pimping stories?

I'm in the process of writing a GTA IV horror fic, and while I've put up the first two chapters on both FF.net and AO3, I haven't gotten a single review. Maybe people there just don't want to read scary fan fiction.

Here's the summery of my story. Hostile, shapeshifting creatures are infecting the citizens of Liberty City. (Ever seen John Carpenter's 'The Thing'? Those are the kinds of monsters in this story. You don't know who's infected and who's still human until its too late.) As both group tensions and the body count rise, Niko must work with allies (Roman, Packie, Kate, Little Jacob, Elizabeta, Badman and Mallory) as well as enemies (Dimitri and Bulgarin) in order to survive when the city is quarentiened. It will feature lots of blood, gore and violent character death, so don't expect this to be an uplifting tale.

I know it's a very bizarre concept, but would anybody be interested if I posted it here?

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 06:21 PM

is eminence still around?

You rang?

• orbitalraindrops likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 13 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

Guys, don't kill me for this but I was thinking of uh writing a GTAV fan fiction...*hides on a planet far far away*

I actually have one in the works.... ;)

This is kind of a stupid question, but is this thread essentially for pitching ideas and pimping stories?

It can be.

As for your idea, i like the concept of not knowing who the enemy is. Not knowing who's "infected" or not could create a lot of tension and suspense. That would be your best pal in such a story i think. Crossovers can be interesting but also difficult as you A - have to almost justify making it FF-based, and B have to create another or merge 2 worlds.

I think the concept's a good one - most works these days have the bad guy signposted for all to see. It's one thing Cloverfield did well (though i'm not a fan) - you never see the monster, the enemy is never revealed. that kinda makes it worse :p

I've also found FF.net to be very slow in that sense - you have to really inbed yourself with the community - review a lot of people's works. You review 10 people's works, you might get one review back. :sui:

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:29 AM

I don't think anybody in the world is as happy as me right now. I really can't wait to read that, I'm hoping it will be as deep as CoL and JiF ;)

Secondly, it's always nice to not be the only one doing something :)

In other news, I found another one of my old notepads with an unfinished adventure (somewhat comparable to Assassins creed/fallout/skyrim) concept thread in it, I'mma revamp that sheiiiiit up and get it posted (with all missions wrote up) before I write anything else. So that should set me back by a few weeks but atleast it gives me more time to get my GTAV and my road trip story ideas to a maximum. :)

Mick.
  • Mick.

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:29 AM Edited by Coat., 14 April 2014 - 09:29 AM.

I'm thinking of giving a fan-fiction based story a go.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:28 PM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 14 April 2014 - 11:13 PM.

I don't think anybody in the world is as happy as me right now. I really can't wait to read that, I'm hoping it will be as deep as CoL and JiF ;)

Secondly, it's always nice to not be the only one doing something :)

In other news, I found another one of my old notepads with an unfinished adventure (somewhat comparable to Assassins creed/fallout/skyrim) concept thread in it, I'mma revamp that sheiiiiit up and get it posted (with all missions wrote up) before I write anything else. So that should set me back by a few weeks but atleast it gives me more time to get my GTAV and my road trip story ideas to a maximum. :)

It'll be a long while until it's here. I have Fallout still needing work, and i'm finding less and less time to work on it :( It'll come, but It'll be a while. In the meantime, for anyone wanting a "COL" sort of story, well, VP, it's up to you! ;)

I'm thinking of giving a fan-fiction based story a go.

Go for it. I've voiced my thoughts before that FF is underrated. Writing should be fun, above all else, and if you want to, do it.
The decision would be yours to make, though, of course, but don't feel that FF isn't proper writing.
How's Pleasant Blurs going? I'd like to see how that finishes....

edit: Look what I got Ziggs!

3we8.jpg

• MacAshford likes this

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 April 2014 - 10:40 AM Edited by Ziggy455, 15 April 2014 - 10:43 AM.

picgifs-jurassic-park-8524608.gif
I need mah Wagon Wheel.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users