Photo

The Writers' Room

2,104 replies to this topic
TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Tuesday, Apr 16 2013, 23:36)
QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Tuesday, Apr 16 2013, 17:11)
One of the greatest mindf*cks that is on par with The Sixth Sense is Bioshock Infinite's ending.

I hated that ending and thought it was the ultimate 'go f*ck yourself' to the player.
Illogical, mean spirited and it didn't give you any sense of anything having any meaning. The ending made everything you just did pointless, every f*cking thing.

I think it's a great example of what not to do. I couldn't believe a game with such an amazing setting could botch up the story so monumentally - I'm still pissed about it.

Do tell. I've not heard anything about the game.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:34 AM

Working on an Assassins Creed fanfic, Any tips guys?

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2015
    Most Talented Writer 2014
    Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:51 AM

QUOTE (Master of San Andreas @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 07:34)

Research.

AC's genius laid in how it tied into history. Real life characters and events.

Try to find something to bring to it that Ubisoft havn't. It'll be hard to write long winded freerunning scenes for 90% of the book. And the same thing over and over will get boring to read.

What's the setting?

I'm working on one that's set in Victorian London, with conspiracies involving the Queen/Prince. The FEEL of the city is a big thing in mine, i'm trying to make it very atmospheric, but also make the character really easy to connect with. His story is going to be nothing but hardship.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

Don't write a fanfic.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 16:21)

Research.

AC's genius laid in how it tied into history. Real life characters and events.

Try to find something to bring to it that Ubisoft havn't. It'll be hard to write long winded freerunning scenes for 90% of the book. And the same thing over and over will get boring to read.

What's the setting?

I'm working on one that's set in Victorian London, with conspiracies involving the Queen/Prince. The FEEL of the city is a big thing in mine, i'm trying to make it very atmospheric, but also make the character really easy to connect with. His story is going to be nothing but hardship.

Well I plan to set it in Rome (Like Brotherhood was) Protagonist is Ezio Auditore, One of my favorite video game characters, It's not connected with the main story of AC in anyway (except for the characters), The title is 'The rise and fall of Ezio Audiitore' I've not got a plot planned out yet, But I hope to create an awesome plot. It is set in 1950's Rome BTW.

Mokrie your plot sounds interesting, Kind of reminds me of 'The Prince and the Pauper' for some reason.

@Typhus - Why not? confused.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

tempora labuntur

• None
  • Best Poem 2014
    Best Story 2014
    Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:49 PM

I can't speak for Typhus' reasons but here's how I see it:

1) You will not live up to your expectations if you're writing about the protagonist of the canon work.

2) If you distance your story from the main cast and protagonist of the canon work there is no point in it being a fanfiction.

With that in mind, you're either writing to disappoint yourself (something that will invariably happen whether you are writing about your own creation or Ezio Auditore) or you're writing something that can and should work better separate from someone else's established canon. That's how I see it, but obviously my opinion is not the majority here, many see fanfiction as a valid exercise and while I can't fault them for that, I can say that I was and am better off creating my own self-contained settings when I'm exercising my writing ability.

EDIT: though sometimes a setting like Fallout will come along with its endless possibilities, and sort of make my mouth water with half-thought ideas about how I could fit my own story into the world. I gotta suppress that urge when I play such open-ended games like that.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:29 PM

I actually had a Fallout fanfic in mind, Well not a fanfic but more like a story like Fallout. I had this planned out: After a Nuclear Explosion there were only 3 Countries. One of them was extremely poor and just poor the other middle-class and the other contains important places, Earthquakes and stuff keep happening frequently and it tells the story of a poor man who erm tries to rebuild the world. I might end up writing that story, Need to improve it first though.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:32 PM

QUOTE (Master of San Andreas @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 13:21)
@Typhus - Why not? confused.gif

Because fanfics are creatively dead. To be more frank, the whole concept of 'fan fiction' is cheating - you're just using someone else's hard work to paper over the cracks in your own ability to tell a story. The whole fan fiction thing is lazy, overdone and really serves no purpose.
Let's say you write an amazing fanfic that people love. Does it really mean anything? The characters you wrote were simply squatters in a world you had no hand in creating, any credit you do get will always be seen through the haze of it being derivative of a fiction you played no part in.

You do yourself a disservice by aiming so low.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:04 PM

@Mokrie, how is that AC, it sounds a lot like original work, just change the faction names. None of the AC games were set in London so the characters will be yours, as for the Desmond/Animus crap, you could find a way around it. smile.gif

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:05 PM

I think fan fic can be helpful when starting out writing as all the world building has already been done for you so you can just focus on story and characters. If you love a particular universe and want to show your love to that universe then it can also help in that sense.

With that in mind though anyone who is seriously trying to become a professional writer should imo avoid fan fic at all costs (after there brief love affair with it when they're beginners mind).

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 19:05)
I think fan fic can be helpful when starting out writing as all the world building has already been done for you so you can just focus on story and characters. If you love a particular universe and want to show your love to that universe then it can also help in that sense.

With that in mind though anyone who is seriously trying to become a professional writer should imo avoid fan fic at all costs (after there brief love affair with it when they're beginners mind).

This. icon14.gif

My fan-fic was how I got started with writing. Now that I've learned from it (and alot from you guys), it is helping me create my own original story. I really can't wait to show you guys the first chapter. Character development is going to be key in my story.

Cubanwhip
  • Cubanwhip

We're always holding the door open for someone.

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

Fan fics are great when you're starting and don't have the creative ability to make your own universe and characters. But if you want to be a writer, you really need to develop that ability and stop relying on premade universes as a crutch. That's what I've done, and sort of did with my first story, which was a fan fiction. I wrote in the GTA universe, but experimented with creating original characters. Then, it turned out, my original characters were better than the premade fan fiction universe characters, and diverted from there. The story became much more rooted with original characters and storylines. My new story that I'm writing bow is a sequel to it, but makes nearly no mention to the GTA universe, save a few location name drops. But they all can be easily changed to their real life counter parts, and no one would be any wiser.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 13:49)
I can't speak for Typhus' reasons but here's how I see it:

1) You will not live up to your expectations if you're writing about the protagonist of the canon work.

2) If you distance your story from the main cast and protagonist of the canon work there is no point in it being a fanfiction.

With that in mind, you're either writing to disappoint yourself (something that will invariably happen whether you are writing about your own creation or Ezio Auditore) or you're writing something that can and should work better separate from someone else's established canon. That's how I see it, but obviously my opinion is not the majority here, many see fanfiction as a valid exercise and while I can't fault them for that, I can say that I was and am better off creating my own self-contained settings when I'm exercising my writing ability.

EDIT: though sometimes a setting like Fallout will come along with its endless possibilities, and sort of make my mouth water with half-thought ideas about how I could fit my own story into the world. I gotta suppress that urge when I play such open-ended games like that.

I'm working on a fallout fic

I've looked into making it "original" but, unless i'm lacking some skill, i can't see how i can, without it looking like a rip off!

I am working on a western thats original though.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 20:02)

Like cowboys? That might be awesome.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

Ain't nothin' over til it's over.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 18 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

I have to agree. If you're going to attempt a fanfic, and it garners some real attention, please don't take it upon yourself to become the wise old writer. I'm writing a Max Payne fanfic, why I'm writing it is for two reasons:

1. I'm learning to plot stories and scenes and so far the story's coming out well enough that people are enjoying it.

2. I'm dealing with so much sh*t right now, writing a character who I share a lot of similarities too seems like a way to de-stress myself from the current events of my life.

I do not write for merit, I do not write fanfic for .PNG medals, or even kind words. I'm writing what I'm writing for those two reasons. And if I write a story that wins me a medal, I will gladly deny it and I will move on from the story to my own creation. That's the difference. There is a time to chase a story and there's a time to leave it.

GTAb0yWonder
  • GTAb0yWonder

I'm not GTAb0yWonder anymore, you dipsh*t cretins.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:15 PM

What do you guys think about a 70's detective story in a modern setting? Comedy.

CHOCO STUN.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (VProductions @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 20:17)

I'll tell you mate if I hit the target I'm aiming for, it will be. It's taken so long to write so little. I am so sick of these pseudo anti heros

It's time for a TRUE bad guy to take the limelight. The old west was full of these characters - billy the Kidd for example - that are dismissed as the bad guy, the evil person. My guy is the devil. He's a gun with legs. He's a sherrifs worst f*cking nightmare

And he damned will knows it.

It's difficult though. I'm proud of COL and JIF. I'm a GOOD writer. Not the best sure, but I'm good.
My point is I see COL and JIF and I know they're good. Fanfic debate aside, I can do so much more in terms of quality. This western project is abitious and experimental. I'm combining two unique ideas, trying to create something special. If I succeed the I'm going to blow you away
If I miss the mark, by even a millimetre, it'll fade into obscurity

I hate to sound like I'm bigging myself up, because I'm not, I'm just saying, it's time I flexed my literary muscles for real

That doesn't mean the fanfics will stop. I simply ENJOY writing them and that's what matters

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

Ain't nothin' over til it's over.

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:34 PM Edited by Ziggy455, 18 April 2013 - 11:39 PM.

QUOTE (GTAb0yWonder @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 23:15)
What do you guys think about a 70's detective story in a modern setting? Comedy.

CHOCO STUN.

I'd read it, mate.

Writing-wise (Besides the fanfic which is just my own personal thing) I'm writing a short piece that is about falling in love with the idea of something that doesn't truly exist. It's short, semi-autobiographical, and weird. notify.gif

It's difficult though. I'm proud of COL and JIF. I'm a GOOD writer. Not the best sure, but I'm good.

You're entitled to be proud of them! They're good and successful stories, but if you can write better, write better! You've kicked off the training wheels, so ride your bike head-f*cking-first down the tallest hill you can find and create something purely from your own mind. You've got the creativity, you've got the motivation. Hop to it!

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 00:28)
QUOTE (VProductions @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 20:17)

I'll tell you mate if I hit the target I'm aiming for, it will be. It's taken so long to write so little. I am so sick of these pseudo anti heros

It's time for a TRUE bad guy to take the limelight. The old west was full of these characters - billy the Kidd for example - that are dismissed as the bad guy, the evil person. My guy is the devil. He's a gun with legs. He's a sherrifs worst f*cking nightmare

And he damned will knows it.

You've used that term a couple times now and I can't help but get the feeling it's being misapplied... what exactly do you mean when you say antihero?

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

Killed by drones.

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Yeah it was the only word i could think of at the time,

What i mean was, most such characters are men who are seeking something noble, but do bad things to get there - niko bellic, john marston, - they're not bad guys, but good guys doing questionable things

I wanted to create a character who is a bad guy, and who knows it. Whose live has been on of hardship and instead of helping the world, just wants to tear it apart for his own gain.

It's difficult of course, because the reader still has to connect with him, so therein lies on of the challenges.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:43 PM

Good news, sort of, as I didn't end up getting banned last night.I'm still here, to write and try to entertain you guys. Hopefully FOREVER.

@Mokrie - I know your next piece will be awesome smile.gif

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

I believe I'm gonna write a short one-shot called Vegetable Vance, a tale of Vic Vance surviving the '86 shootout... and becoming nearly complete vegetable. Have faith in me. Would I ever let you down? rolleyes.gif

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (TonyZimmzy @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 15:59)
Would I ever let you down? rolleyes.gif

You haven't so far..........................................................................................................................

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:40 PM

Oh tony that sounds so brilliant. The concept alone has me chuckling.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:48 PM

I just want more OG Nig Nog, that guy is hilarious. I wonder when he might email you next Tony.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (VProductions @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 17:48)
I just want more OG Nig Nog, that guy is hilarious. I wonder when he might email you next Tony.

Lol, haven't heard anything from him in about a week now come to think of it! Thankfully...

I usually get the bulk of my writing done at work... really passes the time. I've got another two hours in the office tonight, but I'm exhausted, so writing will be a fail. Was gonna get another Nig Nog e-mail up, but I'll give it a miss tonight.

Just put the pen-penultimate mission up for HCL. Really makes me wanna continue it on. mad.gif I may just turn the sequel in to some form of a narrative.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:13 PM

QUOTE (TonyZimmzy @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 18:04)
pen-penultimate

Coined wink.gif

Also, a narrative might work, something with your sense of humor. I noticed that the earlier HC works were a bit less serious, does that mean that the sequel will be more serious or will you just hamburger (not coined wink.gif ) it? biggrin.gif

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

QUOTE (VProductions @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 18:13)
QUOTE (TonyZimmzy @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 18:04)
pen-penultimate

Coined wink.gif

Also, a narrative might work, something with your sense of humor. I noticed that the earlier HC works were a bit less serious, does that mean that the sequel will be more serious or will you just hamburger (not coined wink.gif ) it? biggrin.gif

Nah, I like my HC scripts to be somewhat serious. I can write serious pieces, but more often than not, I just clown around.

I wrote that Vegetable Vance piece after all. I'll tweak it a bit and post it soon.

Cubanwhip
  • Cubanwhip

We're always holding the door open for someone.

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Vegetable Vance is not clowning around. Its serious business.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE (Cubanwhip @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 20:13)
Vegetable Vance is not clowning around. Its serious business.

Is cheese a vegetable? I really like cheese, especially Edam, its so strange biggrin.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users