» «
Photo

The Writers' Room

1,797 replies to this topic
Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

Osric, buddy, every time you try to revive this you always open with something like "I know this will upset some people" or whatever, haha. Listen, nobody's upset. It's just that we know it's not going to work out.

It's not going to work out because you're focusing so much energy on absolutely pointless details, like each faction's weapons and vehicles. Honestly, what effect is that going to have on anything? It's non-information. There's nothing different here compared to the dozen other times you've tried to get this game off the ground.

It baffles the mind a little.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Saturday, Aug 17 2013, 16:07)
Osric, buddy, every time you try to revive this you always open with something like "I know this will upset some people" or whatever, haha. Listen, nobody's upset. It's just that we know it's not going to work out.

It's not going to work out because you're focusing so much energy on absolutely pointless details, like each faction's weapons and vehicles. Honestly, what effect is that going to have on anything? It's non-information. There's nothing different here compared to the dozen other times you've tried to get this game off the ground.

It baffles the mind a little.

You are pretty much right, and as I have told you in my PM I just sent you, I have decided to put BUYS aside and write a story based on some of my ideas for it. It is called Russian Orthodox Church (a simple title, but it makes sense because all the characters so far are Russian Orthodox and the main location is a fortified church) and takes place during a zombie outbreak.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Here's the first chapter, a brief introduction.

http://www.gtaforums...entry1062980242

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:18 AM Edited by AceKingston, 18 August 2013 - 07:03 AM.

Playing GTA IV a lot now and I'm considering taking a small break from The Darkest Hour and write a prequel for GTA IV. About Roman's past, Roman 10 years ago, seeking the American Dream.

Ace whistles for Mokrie, Eminence and Ziggy.

Edit: I'll leave this later, I'm thinking of a script.

And Osric, I assure you I most certainly won't be taking part. wink.gif

Coat.
  • Coat.

homage

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 06:18)
Playing GTA IV a lot now and I'm considering taking a small break from The Darkest Hour and write a prequel for GTA IV. About Roman's past, Roman 10 years ago, seeking the American Dream.

Sounds interesting, Ace. I've tried to make fan-fiction before, and strangely, it gets more attention then some orignal work.

I've always wanted to make a prequel of IV that leads up to a terrorist attack that occurs in Algonquin and is almost mentioned at the beginning of IV when Roman mentions, something along the lines of, "Terrorist, f*cking terrorists. You can not cross the bridges, so good,"
It would be an interesting idea in my mind.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:04 AM

QUOTE (Coat. @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 12:33)

Sounds interesting, Ace. I've tried to make fan-fiction before, and strangely, it gets more attention then some orignal work.

I've always wanted to make a prequel of IV that leads up to a terrorist attack that occurs in Algonquin and is almost mentioned at the beginning of IV when Roman mentions, something along the lines of, "Terrorist, f*cking terrorists. You can not cross the bridges, so good,"

I'll leave this later, I'm thinking of a video game script. Something like, I dunno...

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

QUOTE (Coat. @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 07:03)

sounds familiar

Seriously though why not

I think ff gets more views because of association; it's tied in to the existing product so it becomes more interesting from the off - its a sequel of sorts and you can set up nice references etc. original works require you starting from nothing, so there's nothing to back-reference. In many ways its easie as the world and characters already exist but it's a double edges sword as you're limited by them and it can be hard to write their characters.

I would defo read that!

Gta-meets Tom Clancy haha

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

• BUSTED!
  • India

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:15 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 17:13)

sounds familiar

Seriously though why not

I think ff gets more views because of association; it's tied in to the existing product so it becomes more interesting from the off - its a sequel of sorts and you can set up nice references etc. original works require you starting from nothing, so there's nothing to back-reference. In many ways its easie as the world and characters already exist but it's a double edges sword as you're limited by them and it can be hard to write their characters.

I would defo read that!

I've only been playing IV for 2 days ha ha but I'm really enjoying it. Have not finished it yet, so I'm thinking of writing a video game script or a TV script. The tool which VP posted in the Resource topic seems pretty good for script writing.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 18 August 2013 - 01:57 PM Edited by Vice President, 18 August 2013 - 02:31 PM.

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 14:15)
QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Sunday, Aug 18 2013, 17:13)

sounds familiar

Seriously though why not

I would defo read that!

I've only been playing IV for 2 days ha ha but I'm really enjoying it. Have not finished it yet, so I'm thinking of writing a video game script or a TV script. The tool which VP posted in the Resource topic seems pretty good for script writing.

StoryBook will help you tons. biggrin.gif And if you're really serious about your project then you might want to get the upgrade for extra features though it is great on its own.

EDIT: After much time editing and re-writing, the next mission is finally up biggrin.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 18 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

I'm trying to just research at the moment. Not to make my writing sound intelligent, but more on the fact that I need to know a little bit more about astrophysics and how space-travel/spaceships work. I feel like I'm going in as an amateur by making a bunch of long-worded functions up. suicidal.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 August 2013 - 06:22 PM

I've designed a really cool outfit for one of my projects. I have a few sketches, though my ability with a pencil is lacking somewhat. I may consider making a request in the GFX section for some computerised version of it......

When the project goes live, the sketches would be shared, but how to do this - post them as pics, or as subtler links?

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:02 PM

Mokrie, GFX is super simple once you get the hang of it. Rather than remaking it, you could take a pic of the drawing then go over it in photoshop, simple stuff really. Just go over it in the dark pencil then add colour. That's how Patrick Brown does his stuff too, you know, the GTA drawer guy.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:20 PM

So, for those who have read it, what do you guys think of Russian Orthodox Church so far?

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 19 August 2013 - 09:09 PM

Went rooting through some charity shops -which are resourceful havens of books- and came across Arthur C. Clarke's Odyssey two and three! Apparently Clarke was a pioneer in physics and science-fiction space travel so I'll be digesting as much of his work and taking notes on the technical stuff to improve my understanding of Science-Fiction, which I believe is white whale in writing.
  • orbitalraindrops likes this

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 20 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

@Osric - I'll check it out tounge.gif

@Ziggy - That's great, charity shops near me are only full of old wedding dresses and junk lol. I kind of need your advice on something (don't worry it's not a life problem tounge.gif ), I'll message you next time you're online on FB if that's ok. It'd be great if you could help, thanks biggrin.gif

PerceptortheShootist
  • PerceptortheShootist

Snitch

• Members

Posted 21 August 2013 - 11:55 PM

I'm starting to form what I want in my first season, and my pilot as well. I just need to do a script for the pilot!

Say, is it right to spread my synopsis to everyone? I managed to shorten it to the absolutely most important details and it got the interest of everybody I've talked to.

A made man runs a robot empire to be able to bring justice and truth back into America.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:47 PM

Guys, I've been away for a few days. To make up for it, I'm sharing this

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas Script

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (PerceptortheShootist @ Thursday, Aug 22 2013, 00:55)
I'm starting to form what I want in my first season, and my pilot as well. I just need to do a script for the pilot!

Say, is it right to spread my synopsis to everyone? I managed to shorten it to the absolutely most important details and it got the interest of everybody I've talked to.

A made man runs a robot empire to be able to bring justice and truth back into America.

Starting to get a little better – very succinct, which is great! Also, spreading it to people can be an excellent way of judging whether your concept is any good. If you've shared it with people and they've been intrigued by it, then that's fantastic!

However, I'd argue that you could improve on this description just a little by elaborating on the conflict a little more. Who is standing in his way? Why does he have to bring justice back into America?

Again, try and keep it as short and concise as possible, but be wary of reducing it to something a little too broad or vague.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 26 August 2013 - 02:24 AM

You know what, I am very tempted to write a vampire story.

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hoping you guys could give me a bit of feedback on something I gave a quick try biggrin.gif

------------------------

INT. POWERBASS RECORDS – NIGHT

A man with short, messy, black hair sits alone with his head on his desk in a small, tidy room. His name is LEON, he doesn't look old, maybe in his late twenties. Slowly, he raises his head in silence and stands up and brushes the dust off his suit.

LEON (V.O)

Powerbass Records, that was how I earned a living... Dubstep was in high demand, it had finally moved from warehouse parties to mainstream TV channels. I knew I had to jump on the bandwagon. My grandfather owned a recording studio, downtown, where he recorded his soul music.

Leon makes his way the large window behind him, most of the city is in view. Streetlights shine down onto the busy roads filled with racing sports cars and nightlife tour busses. The skyscrapers light up the sky, engulfing it in a colourful neon glow.

LEON (V.O)

I got a few artists onto my label, constantly pushing their music out and gaining them new fans. We got a couple of platinums, a few golds too... but nothing could compare to the money it brought in. I had a millions of dollars in the bank.

Leon continues to glare silently at the city as his face fills with rage.

LEON (V.O)

I developed an addiction to pretty much everything; blew the money real fast. The artists weren’t impressed, they drifted away as did the dubstep craze. Now, here I am, with nothing... staring as the city continues to change before my eyes.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Back writing. Gonna get the War act (chapters seven through twelve) of Empires done through the next two weeks until V is released. Stuff. Things. Okay, I better continue writing after I eat this hurr massive cooked chicken abrabrabrab

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2013 - 10:49 PM

I've got a new project on the go.

It's called Black Raven, and it's not Fan Fiction. That's all I can say atm without hindering the creative process. I'm probably going to upload it periodically.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

Awesome, Tony, and awesome, Mokrie! It'd be cool to see what you guys are bringing out. Looking forward to seeing some new material. Black Raven has an espionage feel to it for some reason for me. Not sure if that's the way you're going but we'll see soon enough. And I'm getting into Empires as I write this, Tony, I'll comment when I'm done.

As for me, I'm continuing and finishing Innocence and Loneliness. Just getting everything down I want about understanding the characters to feel creatively free to shape them in the writing process.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 23:02)
I'm continuing and finishing Innocence and Loneliness.

Please. inlove.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:23 PM

Character notes: I'm not meticulous. I just believe you gotta know what you're writing about if you've invested time and 80,000 words.

user posted image
  • Typhus likes this

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Monday, Sep 2 2013, 23:02)
Awesome, Tony, and awesome, Mokrie! It'd be cool to see what you guys are bringing out. Looking forward to seeing some new material. Black Raven has an espionage feel to it for some reason for me. Not sure if that's the way you're going but we'll see soon enough. And I'm getting into Empires as I write this, Tony, I'll comment when I'm done.

As for me, I'm continuing and finishing Innocence and Loneliness. Just getting everything down I want about understanding the characters to feel creatively free to shape them in the writing process.

You're not actually far off, ziggs
glad to hear youre finishing I&L biggrin.gif

MacAshford
  • MacAshford

/x/ lurker

• BUSTED!
  • United-Nations

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:23 AM Edited by Vice President, 03 September 2013 - 03:10 PM.

YAY! I'm sensing huge activeness (if thats the word) from you all:D

EDIT: After a loaaaaaaaaaaad of experimenting with different types of fiction, I've found something fresh I can work on biggrin.gif Project Avalon is still on though, the other thing is just a side project.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:33 AM

I need to resume work on both Russian Orthodox Church and Vincent the Vampire.

And I have a Sailor Moon/Dungeons & Dragons crossover fanfic on another site I need to update as well. College really eats up one's time.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:37 AM

I have a feeling my time is going to be eaten up trying to navigate this new layout...

• Tyler likes this

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:08 PM Edited by Ziggy455, 06 September 2013 - 12:10 PM.

This layout is terrible. I like the new posting options because it's easier than manually typing in [/this] and [/that] but the layout seems too modern for my liking. 

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:05 PM

Completed the first draft of my novel. Going right onto writing the sequel. I have three stories I want to tell with characters I absolutely f*cking adore. It's hard to properly articulate just how good these characters have made me feel and the slump they've pulled me out of.

My only hope is that one day everyone else can enjoy them, because I'd love to use my writing to make people smile and really stop them turning into me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users