Photo

The Writers' Room

1,657 replies to this topic
Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

I told my own mother that I was writing a 9,000 word short for a magazine. She imminently replied "Is that gonna bring in any money?".

None of my friends really read and stuff so I'm pretty alone when it comes to writing. That's cool. I wonder, that if I ever get to a reputable position in my life with writing for books or the screen, how many of those people will pat me on the back and say "We were right behind you, slugga'!"

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

Read Fight club by a guy called Chuck Pala- something. Very good book. Strongly similar to the work of bret easton ellis.

AceKingston
  • AceKingston

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner.

• Members
  • India

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

Thoughts on the new GTA V Gameplay video guys? I'm prepared to bet that Mokrie is already working on 'JUSTICE IN FLAMES - City of Trevor Phillips'. tounge.gif

Coat.
  • Coat.

Coz' imma rocket scientist

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Australia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

It was good but the explosions in one of the scenes was icky.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Wednesday, Jul 10 2013, 11:54)
Thoughts on the new GTA V Gameplay video guys? I'm prepared to bet that Mokrie is already working on 'JUSTICE IN FLAMES - City of Trevor Phillips'. tounge.gif

not quite! tounge.gif

I wont rule out a COL spiritual sequel in LS though...

Orbital - it's a very good book. Chuck Palahniuk - great author.

The film (brilliant) seems to follow the book well too, though the book has an "extended" ending.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:58 PM Edited by Ziggy455, 11 July 2013 - 02:22 AM.

I'm currently reading through Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk and it's quite good. The story entitled Guts is absolutely, abhorrently gross and I was sickened by it. I almost passed out but that was more due to the requirements of holding your breath while you read.

While on his 2003 tour to promote his novel, Diary, Palahniuk read to his audiences a short story entitled, "Guts," a sensational tale of accidents involving masturbation, which appears in his book, Haunted. The story begins with the author telling his listeners to inhale deeply and that "this story should last about as long as you can hold your breath." It was reported that forty people had fainted listening to the readings while holding their breath.[18] Playboy magazine later published the story in their March 2004 issue and Palahniuk offered to let them publish another story along with it, but the publishers found the second work too disturbing to publish.[citation needed] On his tour to promote Stranger Than Fiction: True Stories during the summer of 2004, he read "Guts" to audiences again, bringing the total number of fainters up to fifty-three (and later up to sixty while on tour to promote the softcover edition of Diary). In the fall of that year, he began promoting Haunted, and continued to read "Guts". At his October 4, 2004 reading in Boulder, Colorado, Palahniuk noted that, after that day, his number of fainters was up to sixty-eight. The last fainting occurred on May 28, 2007, in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, where five people fainted, one of whom fell and hit his head on the door while trying to leave the auditorium.[citation needed] Since then audio recordings of his readings of the story have been circulated on the Internet. In the afterword of the latest edition of "Haunted", Palahniuk reported that "Guts" had been responsible for seventy-three fainting events.

I have officially completed the first - and absolutely sh*t- draft of (working title) URA Redemptio! 11/07/2013! The only problem is that it was supposed to be 9,000 words long and well:

user posted image

I realized that I'd gone 6,000 words over my set amount and when I realized this I just looked at my finished first draft like so:

user posted image

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Congratulations on completing the first draft. Don't fret about it being too short, as a first draft, that's a given. What's the story about, Zig?

I am currently on the first draft of my story. A story I am so confident and happy about, I think it's going to be the story that I send off to publishers and tweak and edit and obsess over for the rest of my days.
Having been in a terrible mental state, writing this story has led me to be happier and feeling more fulfilled than I have in years.
Tell you what, if I ever get published and become a gazillionaire, I'm taking all you gorgeous f*ckers out for pizza.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Thursday, Jul 11 2013, 19:48)
Congratulations on completing the first draft. Don't fret about it being too short, as a first draft, that's a given. What's the story about, Zig?

I am currently on the first draft of my story. A story I am so confident and happy about, I think it's going to be the story that I send off to publishers and tweak and edit and obsess over for the rest of my days.
Having been in a terrible mental state, writing this story has led me to be happier and feeling more fulfilled than I have in years.
Tell you what, if I ever get published and become a gazillionaire, I'm taking all you gorgeous f*ckers out for pizza.

It's not that it's too long. The magazine has a maximum word count of 9,000 for submission acceptance and I'm 6,000 words overdue. The story is set in the year 2153. Space travel is a common occurrence now with the new nations of Earth spanning out through the solar system and beyond. Picture it as the manifest destiny of the 22nd century. My story focuses on a salvage crew stumbling upon the United Republic of America's Redemptio colony ship which they board within hours of finding off the coast of Pluto. Rose Jensen, a claustrophobic Second Lieutenant who has been with the crew of the URA Baychimo for just over a month is forced to travel on the ship to save her crew that is mysteriously snatched away the first night of boarding. Her claustrophobia causes a big problem with this but as her and the co-pilot desperately search the cursed ship, it becomes obvious something horrific has happened here.

I want it to be sort of like an ode to Lovecraft. I want it scary but not overly full of cheesy dialogue and action. So I'm sure I can cut the story down to an even 9,000 if I try.

As for you, I'm glad you've found some happiness in writing again. It's brilliant when it's like that. You're happy doing what you love and everything feels better and it'd be awesome if you sent it away. What's yours about?

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

That story sounds intriguing. A space drama in which the monster is a psychological illness instead just as much of a monster as the monsters wink.gif
I hope it gets in the magazine mate, be sure to keep us updated.

As for my story, the best way I can describe it is that it's set in a Medieval-esque world (With no regard for historical accuracy whatsoever.) and concerns a young boy who wishes to be a Knight. I can't give too much away and, unfortunately, will not post any chapters on the forums or anywhere else.
It's not a massively violent tale, the characters do not brood or mope and in general it is an optimistic story about the strengths of friendship. Writing it has made me feel healthier and happier than I ever thought possible.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

That story sounds intriguing. A space drama in which the monster is a psychological illness instead just as much of a monster as the monsters

That's pretty close to what I'd say it was. Of course there's always the line between reality and insanity. I'll keep y'all updated.

And the lack of historical accuracy means there's room to make your own backstory to the mythology and history of the world. It sounds like a solid read and it's good you've found your niche of creativity. I'd be up to reading it whatever direction you take it! It's good it's helping you like this, because that's all writing is really. To quote a once great man: There is nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and bleed. So it should come naturally. Keep us updated to how it goes.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 12 July 2013 - 01:07 AM

Deja vu for both your stories
I think you've spoken of them before

Typhus; I feel you when you say that. I used to write a lot of songs and poetry. It really helped with my darkest days. One of them is uploaded here (see sig) and deals with the sense of abandonment by friends and myself; loneliness and resignation but also a 'soldiering on' - and the blame was fixed on anyone and everyone, even though there was no blame. Probably not that good but it's the most personal thing I have up here

Ziggs; best of luck getting it small enough and published. What mag is it and where can one find it?

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:43 AM Edited by Ziggy455, 12 July 2013 - 05:47 AM.

It's a subscription magazine called Black Static. It's gonna be a tedious task getting that 6,000 word mark down. But it'll be worth it as there's a lot of information and such to put in and a lot of drivel to take out. turn.gif tounge2.gif

Vice President
  • Vice President

/x/ lurker

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Congrats again Zig smile.gif

Anyways, I'll be starting a small project soon before I move on to my huge one. Well, the small one is a story set inside GTAF universe where we all live and go about our lives happily until someone comes along and tries to ruin the community. I'll need to know your names irl (or a fake name) as your name in the story.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Ziggy -- to be honest, you shouldn't even be thinking of submitting something when it's still at such an embryonic stage. If you've overshot your word count by over 50% (am I right there? I'm hopeless with maths haha) it illustrates a fundamental lack of control over your narrative's pacing, and simply trying to cut down on your word count would just be papering over the cracks in your overall structure. Feels to me like there might be entire scenes, sequences, plot arcs that could be cut out or restructured, but that's without anything concrete to go on, so it could be way off the mark.

But basically, you only get one chance to make a good first impression with any given piece of writing. Your mileage may vary, naturally, but I think first, second, third, even fourth draft territory... you're probably not hitting your/the story's full potential yet. Better to keep shaping and crafting it until you truly believe that it's representative of the best you can do as a writer (at that given point in time).

Typhus -- I find it a little worrying that you say you "think it's going to be the story that I send off to publishers and tweak and edit and obsess over for the rest of my days". It's awesome that you've hit your stride and that this piece is clicking for you, but at the end of the day it's just one story, no? You talk of getting published and becoming a gazillionaire... well, other than when lightning strikes certain people, writers need more than one story. You know this. And I know you have more inside you, surely?

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 12 July 2013 - 10:59 PM Edited by Typhus, 12 July 2013 - 11:05 PM.

Obviously the gazillionaire stuff was a joke, as you well know wink.gif
And the thing is, I don't see it as just being ONE story. I have at least three other stories in mind within this universe I am forming. I find it hard to articulate the depth of passion that this tale has engendered within me or just how healthy and strong it has made me feel mentally.
It's almost single-handedly pulled me out of a emotional slump that was swallowing me whole, my world seems a brighter place because of what I am writing and I feel like a better person for the experience.
It feels as if this story has saved my life.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Friday, Jul 12 2013, 22:53)
Ziggy -- to be honest, you shouldn't even be thinking of submitting something when it's still at such an embryonic stage. If you've overshot your word count by over 50% (am I right there? I'm hopeless with maths haha) it illustrates a fundamental lack of control over your narrative's pacing, and simply trying to cut down on your word count would just be papering over the cracks in your overall structure. Feels to me like there might be entire scenes, sequences, plot arcs that could be cut out or restructured, but that's without anything concrete to go on, so it could be way off the mark.

But basically, you only get one chance to make a good first impression with any given piece of writing. Your mileage may vary, naturally, but I think first, second, third, even fourth draft territory... you're probably not hitting your/the story's full potential yet. Better to keep shaping and crafting it until you truly believe that it's representative of the best you can do as a writer (at that given point in time).

Typhus -- I find it a little worrying that you say you "think it's going to be the story that I send off to publishers and tweak and edit and obsess over for the rest of my days". It's awesome that you've hit your stride and that this piece is clicking for you, but at the end of the day it's just one story, no? You talk of getting published and becoming a gazillionaire... well, other than when lightning strikes certain people, writers need more than one story. You know this. And I know you have more inside you, surely?

Of course, when looking at it as it is, and seeing it finished, it was my first thought to go 'Man, I can't wait to send this away to a publisher!' because that would be somewhat of a pointless endeavor. My pacing is off, but I'm leaving it. Returning to it, going over it, and seeing what bits work and which bits hinder the pace of the story overall. Regardless of the fourth, ninth, millionth edit, I'm sure that a bit of time, and a lot of rewriting, I can cut the story into what I envisioned perfectly. Only then, would the thought of actually sending it away to the magazine become a possibility.

I merely meant that this is the first project which I'm taking on a professional scale. I'm not writing it just to let it catch dust, if you get my meaning. I'm still learning. As for pace, I guess that's what I've got to focus on. I wouldn't dream of sending this first draft! It's terrible. But writing is re-writing, and I'm learning my craft as best I can. I'll definitely be shaping and crafting it until I believe it's what I want. I'm sorry if you got confused as to my actual plans. It took a while, but I realized that first drafts are meant for mine eyes only.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:16 AM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 00:13)
It took a while, but I realized that first drafts are meant for mine eyes only.

Too true.

I'm pleased with the direction you're both taking. Seem to have your heads screwed on!

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 00:16)
QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Saturday, Jul 13 2013, 00:13)
It took a while, but I realized that first drafts are meant for mine eyes only.

Too true.

I'm pleased with the direction you're both taking. Seem to have your heads screwed on!

It only took seven years to finally grasp the professional aspect of what I want to do. I'd have never thought that this place would have been one of the key places in my life to help me identify myself as a writer. If the fourteen year old me could see how much I've developed, he'd probably be confused. But I understand. It's right to think things through and not rush to get the project out there, rushed and roughed up.

Vice President
  • Vice President

/x/ lurker

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 19 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Alright then guys, I'm gonna be posting my topic sometime in the next few days. I'm gonna be doing it in multiple replies/posts for each section. When it's being made, can I ask that nobdy posts unitl the sections are reserved and stuff. I'll let you guys know in here when it's sorted. Thanks smile.gif

AceKingston
  • AceKingston

• Members
  • India

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

My writing is f*cked up right now.

And this place is dead, man I'm not getting any good ideas for The Darkest Hour.

I want to write something else, looking back TDH seems so boring, there is just one objective, revenge. I want to write a Zombie Story of something like that so badly.

Coat.
  • Coat.

Coz' imma rocket scientist

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • Australia

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 08:35)

And this place is dead, man I'm not getting any good ideas for The Darkest Hour.

I want to write something else, looking back TDH seems so boring, there is just one objective, revenge. I want to write a Zombie Story of something like that so badly.

Look at the first few chapters of Peasant Blurs - there is no motive. Once I made my motive, which is revenge, branch off distractions and obsticles to get in the way. Doing that will most likely hatch other motives and objectives that the protagonist has to make. Throw in a new character and write it from their point of view. Create different perceptions in one environment. Make the story a wild goose chase.

AceKingston
  • AceKingston

• Members
  • India

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

QUOTE (Coat. @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 14:16)

Look at the first few chapters of Peasant Blurs - there is no motive. Once I made my motive, which is revenge, branch off distractions and obsticles to get in the way. Doing that will most likely hatch other motives and objectives that the protagonist has to make. Throw in a new character and write it from their point of view. Create different perceptions in one environment. Make the story a wild goose chase.

Thanks for the advice, I can only write when I am in the mood. Probably start again next week.

Vice President
  • Vice President

/x/ lurker

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

Feel free to comment on the first mission of my project now, I've got all of the sections reserved tounge.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 08:53)
QUOTE (Coat. @ Saturday, Jul 20 2013, 14:16)

Thanks for the advice, I can only write when I am in the mood. Probably start again next week.

My advice is to just write
Write a short, write something oneshot, or maybe just write another project. Forcing yourself to write is usually bad but It has paid off for me as the eek became something awesome

Write something - even if its short and sh*t, even if the I my purpose it solves to to help build your editing/proof reading skills. You can't waste time writing as there is a lesson to be learnt in every sentence!

Now, my current issue:

Writing my current project and parts feel so mundane. I've got it planned out and am writing it but it feels as though my characters are just going through the motions. It doesn't feel as rich as say COL. It is crap in some spots

I though hell with it, and skilled forward, writing an important chapter but there is still the slower parts that worry me. How do I address this? How can I identify the problem?

I'm aware this would make more sense with an example but I can't really give one without giving away part of the story and this damagin the creative process (it's in a very fragile state ATM)

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:14 PM

Write the first draft knowing you might not like those parts. Include them just to make sure you have the full picture written out in front of you. If you feel like they're still boring after a revision, and you feel like there's nothing in them that is important, then cut them out. If you feel like you can move the important bits somewhere else or even create a different scene to express the important stuff altogether, then remove the boring part. Just write it all out and be prepared to cut anything you want to cut after that.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

Thanks, Tyler. 😎

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

These days are long and truly gone.

cryani.gif

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 22 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

QUOTE (TonyZimmzy @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 12:46)

cryani.gif

Holy sh*t, I just found this gem of a post lol.gif

THATS IT, COME ON THEN WRITE YOUR OWN STORY!

I'm going to write that whenever someone criticizes my writing.

saltinespike
  • saltinespike

Tired Marine

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

ph34r.gif Hey guys. Just thought I'd pop in and say hello. I know I don't come around much these days, but I do lurk around and see what's being posted from time to time.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (AceRay @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 06:09)
QUOTE (TonyZimmzy @ Monday, Jul 22 2013, 12:46)

cryani.gif

Holy sh*t, I just found this gem of a post lol.gif

THATS IT, COME ON THEN WRITE YOUR OWN STORY!

I'm going to write that whenever someone criticizes my writing.

Laughing SO hard. I love finding this sh*t. lol.gif I'm gonna start using that irl when someone challenges anything I say or do.

Hey Saltine. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users