Photo

The Writers' Room

1,797 replies to this topic
VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:17 PM

@Mikey - Sorry for being harsh but it is the truth, nobody gives feedback like they used to. Anyway, welcome. smile.gif

@Mokrie - We might of all been new but I'm sure it was easier to be new then than it is now.

Tyler
  • Tyler

bubblingbubblingbubbling

• NATO
  • Newcomer of the Year 2010

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:49 PM

Instead of romanticizing a time that will probably never come around again, how about we work on keeping a positive attitude for people who are interested in the section, and try to help when we can in that regard?

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 08:42 PM

I agree with the african american disembodied head.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None
  • Most Talented Writer 2013
    Best Story/Poem 2013 "The Storm"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2011 "Justice in Flames"
    Story/Poem of the Year 2010 "City of Lies"

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 19:49)
Instead of romanticizing a time that will probably never come around again, how about we work on keeping a positive attitude for people who are interested in the section, and try to help when we can in that regard?

This. I haven't replied to it for two reasons:

1 - i don't know the book, so it would be unfair to go into it without that knowledge

2 - My ability to critique people's work is gone. I simply can not do it. I go into the topics, read then type something out, and question everything i type. What do I know? The confidence is gone, but the desire to help remains.

The Bar
  • The Bar

What's your poison?

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:34 PM

Ever since that absolute mogoloid stoner came through and won, WD has slipped. Even with the people here. Attempting to help doesn't change things, even when trying to the best of our abilities.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:36 PM

He didn't need to post the story in here. Surely we all knew it was right there in the forum. He could've just posted a direct link asking for feedback. So okay, feedback:

There's like 50 words in the 8th chapter. That's meant to be a chapter?

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:38 PM

@Bar - Don't mention him, the last time that happened he appeared. sad.gif

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:57 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 22:19)
2 - My ability to critique people's work is gone. I simply can not do it. I go into the topics, read then type something out, and question everything i type. What do I know? The confidence is gone, but the desire to help remains.

People need to stop thinking they're editors, or that they need to "critique" a work. Most people on this forum aren't at the level where they can adequately "critique" something, so it's just a hindrance for all involved. It's just become one of those unnecessary buzzwords thrown about by amateurs who think they're somehow in some inner-circle by doing it.

Solution? Read something and offer your unique, simple, down-to-earth opinion. There's no right or wrong, the only person that can offer that exact opinion is you, and most of the time it's simply more valuable.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

But how can an opinion help a writer improve their skill in a way other than appealing to that persons opinion which may not be the opinion of a different reader?

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

Hmmm
Goes back to what you told me about looking too closely. I think the moment found out i gave bad advice, I began questioning me. Ignore the buzzword - sometimes I feel you take me too literally when (I think) it's clear what I mean; in this case, I try to help out, pointing out what I though were areas for improvement. Call that process critiquing or feedback, whatever.
It's like the time you tore through my chapter of JIF. It helped. I learnt. Sure I'm not brilliantly better but I improved, at least in the points you pointed out.
As I said, I can't post my work and expect or hope for views and replies and feedback if I don't give it out. This section is slow and as mentioned, not many people reply - I'm merely trying to change that
Maybe I try too hard I dunno

Tony: I told the guy to post in here. Ok i didn't mean the whole story but an introduction and explanation/request. He slightly misunderstood that but even eminence has said on occasion food someone to post passages in here
It was a small misunderstanding, either on his part or mine, and it saddens me to see such a reaction
It reminds me of when I was needlessly harsh on some guy. I remember I called him a moron because he ignored my advise (possibly a smart move in the end!). No excuse, I was a prick.

Where's the sense of community?

Ziggy/the bar/my cat, whoever: again that subject comes up out of nowhere. Yes things changed, but not too much. I never saw this place in its glory, and everyone talks about those good old days but what's stopping them coming back? The best communities are often the small ones and two like music - everyone says 'they don't make it like they used to' then go ahead and make the same commercial crap. They don't make them like they used to, so why not lead by example?

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

The vulgar, Irish, writer!

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Contribution Award [Expression]

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:23 PM

Because eventually, if you try, you normally and ultimately fail. If WD picked up in popularity, it'd be swarming with broken condoms like the medal-beggar. If more people like Eminence poked around then maybe there'd be a shot of it taking off, but seriously? Having WD like it once was? Never going to happen. There's a few good members here who have the heart and skill, but then most that come in here complete the stupid cycle by dumping their stories here that are forgotten. As for critiquing, I did an alright job -I'm no Twain or King- but that took effort, and even then I believe WD retained something. Now though, I think it's slipped because of that douche. It really opened my eyes to how this is an underrated community. While the V section or even other sections are brimming with desolation and stupidity. And the fact this community is sinking in an ocean of mediocrity is another thing. While there are people who strive for years to build this place up, a f*cking moron only has to swoop in to completely show that this place is built on rickety planks. And here we are, still trying. Still toiling to retain some sort of creative semblance in this place. Only for the attention to spread when a GTA game comes out or when somebody wants to win an easy medal.

We're still here though; always holding a door open for the next person to step in, whether it's with love or hatred for an objective.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (Ziggy455 @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 23:23)
We're still here though; always holding a door open for the next person to step in, whether it's with love or hatred for an objective.

except that door was just slammed in someone's face. You blame ***-****, but that person had nothing to do with that.

Coat.
  • Coat.

god bless the dead

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:18 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 23:33)

except that door was just slammed in someone's face. You blame ***-****, but that person had nothing to do with that.

I agree with you there, Morkie. I don't think the door was let open enough for him.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 22:41)
Tony: I told the guy to post in here. Ok i didn't mean the whole story but an introduction and explanation/request. He slightly misunderstood that

I know, that's why I posted that picture, cause he clearly misunderstood your efforts lol.gif

I never replied to his story because I don't much care for critiquing work. I drop comments on anything I read if it's good, but if I read something and don't like it, I just don't. No point. Sure, I read his story, but I felt like I had nothing to input other than saying, what, it was bad and the chapters were short?

I'm not really one to care for mis-used or placed grammar -- it's a writing forum on a video game board at the end of the day. I do thank this place immensely though, as I found a bit of a passion for writing, like most here are doing. That passion shouldn't be swayed by negative OR positive comments, really.

I remember the first comment I got on HC, saying 'this is never gonna work and it's stupid' or something. I lol'd and just wrote on because I enjoy writing for myself. I'm probably rambling a bit now, but just know, you're in my soul.

user posted image

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 28 June 2013 - 06:18 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 12:33)

but WAH WAH WAH DONT GTA-KING STOLE WD AWAY FROM ME cryani.gif cryani.gif cryani.gif cryani.gif

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:49 AM Edited by Eminence, 28 June 2013 - 07:51 AM.

QUOTE (VProductions @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 23:32)
But how can an opinion help a writer improve their skill in a way other than appealing to that persons opinion which may not be the opinion of a different reader?

It places focus on a response to the story being told, as opposed to people thinking that a pedantic obsession with grammatical issues = worthwhile feedback.

What would you rather hear? Someone telling you what they thought was good/bad about the narrative, what they enjoyed about it, what they didn't particularly feel worked?

Or someone saying "I don't have much to say about the story itself, but you mispelled 'your' when you meant 'you're'"?

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:23 AM

I didn't think of it like that, you're a million percent right. smile.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 07:49)
QUOTE (VProductions @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 23:32)

It places focus on a response to the story being told, as opposed to people thinking that a pedantic obsession with grammatical issues = worthwhile feedback.

What would you rather hear? Someone telling you what they thought was good/bad about the narrative, what they enjoyed about it, what they didn't particularly feel worked?

Or someone saying "I don't have much to say about the story itself, but you mispelled 'your' when you meant 'you're'"?

That's what i try to do, but in the process notice a typo/spelling/grammar oversight, and point it out. I digress and end up spell checking it. As you've said, I need to take a step back.

Perhaps it's inexperience, or maybe lack of textbook talent (I dare say many of us here studied english at college/university. I didn't much to my regret now). I'm a good writer, but not brilliant - am i good enough to identify narrative themes and allusions and references? I don't think so.

Listen up kids - if you're still at school, think hard about what choices you make! Don't pass up the opportunity to further your skills! smile.gif

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:31 AM

I'm going to university to become an author hopefully. biggrin.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 11:58 AM Edited by Ziggy455, 28 June 2013 - 12:00 PM.

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Thursday, Jun 27 2013, 23:33)

How though? Nothing is stopping him from coming back here? He's still welcome, but it shows that he doesn't care. It was all about winning, not writing. So regardless of that door being open or not, he won't stroll through unless he wants to cause trouble or win another medal easily. I know I'm repeating the same drivel here but this was linked towards the other comments up top.

As for critiquing, it works. Grammar-wise not so much, but actually analyzing the story which is a hundred times better to critique. Because grammar can be changed, but story needs to be a little bit more set in stone at one point.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:00 PM

You don't go to university to become an author, haha. If you want to become an author, you write. That's it. There's no substitute, academic or otherwise, for simply practising the craft.

I'm not saying that going to university won't help you develop those skills. But there's no course, in and of itself, out of which you emerge as an 'author'.

DestaliusDark
  • DestaliusDark

Funky Jazz

• Members
  • Belgium

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

Hey, i know this is a bit out of place and such.
But i was wondering about something, since my summer vacation started i entered a Comic/manga workshop for a few weeks.
Does someone have a story they would like to be, drawn out? I won't take any credit for it, there won't be happening anything with it, the pages will eventually end up in my room anyway.
It doesn't even have to be a long story, maybe a short 10 page one is ok.

I'm not sure if it's ok to ask this here tough. If not i'm sorry.
If anyone's interested message me.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 12:00)
You don't go to university to become an author, haha. If you want to become an author, you write. That's it. There's no substitute, academic or otherwise, for simply practising the craft.

I'm not saying that going to university won't help you develop those skills. But there's no course, in and of itself, out of which you emerge as an 'author'.

I found myself questioning that career when I left school. When I thought about what exactly I wanted to do, I thought that writing really contained no academic merit when it came to future courses. However, a lot of writers studied Literature, screenwriting, or some other form of writing which I believe is just a pretty certificate in their home office.

It's odd how you really can only get a novel published by writing. Regardless of academics.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• Members
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:46 PM

I think it's a shortcut in a way
Wait that's not accurate

I read somewhere that to truly develop, you have to look inside of yourself, not for the answers from without

The latter is having your hand held through the darkened garden, the former is finding yourself - both will take you where you need to go but one is easier, especially for those who struggle in one way or another

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:49 PM

New chapter of The Darkest Hour is up.

I did give it a quick proof read, I've taken an oath not to abandon the story.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 14:46)
Wait that's not accurate

I read somewhere that to truly develop, you have to look inside of yourself, not for the answers from without

The latter is having your hand held through the darkened garden, the former is finding yourself - both will take you where you need to go but one is easier, especially for those who struggle in one way or another

Yeah, but what does that mean in a real-life, practical sense? tounge.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 14:14)
QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Friday, Jun 28 2013, 14:46)
Wait that's not accurate

Yeah, but what does that mean in a real-life, practical sense? tounge.gif

I think it means just have a long hard think about what you really want from writing and what you want to do.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:26 PM

Quick couple of questions
Why do you write?
What inspires you?
Why should people read what you write?

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

I have moved to a new account.

• BUSTED!
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:30 PM

1. Writing came automatically to me, it's a passion and I just love to write. Whether it be a poem or a story, it's one of the things that really makes me happy.

2. Stories like Harry Potter and even some stories on GTAForums like the City of Lies series, Peasent Blurs etc.

3. Because I'd like to see what they think of my writing skills, I always appreciate negative feedback because it helps me to improve my writing also if people read my story I'd feel happy knowing that they love my story.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 28 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

Why do you write?

I write because it's one of the best ways to express myself. I like to write on a daily basis to vent my creative side. It's simple, I write because I write.

What inspires you?

So many things; music, conversations, events, newspapers, research, and sometimes nothing at all.

Why should people read what you write?

I don't know really. I write about things in my own way, whether it be dark of funny.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users