The Writers' Room

1,649 replies to this topic
ainsz
  • ainsz

Senor Dickhead

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 June 2013 - 12:04 PM

Thanks Mokrie. I'm not one for running, but I did take the dog for a walk. Got back home and after so long I was back on it.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 08:06 PM

I came back for the roast. It was locked. That sucked. Oh well. We'll wait.

J. Walker
  • J. Walker

Gold Cane Walker

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:42 PM

The Walker is almost done.

I am so excited.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

QUOTE (J. Walker @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 21:42)

I am so excited.

You should be. You're in for a thrilling world of nobody reading or replying to your chapters in this forum. happy.gif

J. Walker
  • J. Walker

Gold Cane Walker

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (TonyZimmzy @ Saturday, Jun 15 2013, 22:09)

I am so excited.

You should be. You're in for a thrilling world of nobody reading or replying to your chapters in this forum. happy.gif

Umm okay then...

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:27 PM

I am so excited.

I f*cking laughed so hard at this that I brought up my lunch.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 16 June 2013 - 11:20 PM Edited by orbitalraindrops, 17 June 2013 - 12:26 AM.

Should have posted in the inspiration topic but already put it here.

From an article by Alex Grey on using psychs to further creativity.

"How can we bring the insights of the entheogenic state into our lives?” For the visionary artist this is a somewhat straightforward translation of the mystical experience into artworks that transmit the depth of feeling and perception of the subtle inner worlds. The entheogenic state is, of course, unique to each individual and yet there are archetypal states of being that are experienced by large numbers of psychonauts and can be evoked with our art. Let’s look at the trajectory and potential stages of the psychedelic experience and see how it translates into works of art.

1) In the beginning stages we notice some physical body changes. We might feel jittery or some rushes of energy through the body, possibly an opening up of the chest or head. We feel a heightened sensitivity to colors and notice wavy or slowly billowing distortions of our outer world perceptions. When we look inward, we begin to perceive dynamic geometric forms and cartoon-like figures morphing into strange and inventive shapes. The unconscious is becoming conscious. The depth of mystery and meaning that our conceptual mind keeps at bay in our ordinary perception becomes flooded with portent.

2) Our perception is open to the beautiful and in the back of our minds we begin to feel that reality is weighty or there seems to be some kind of symbolic importance to life. The perception of beauty and meaningfulness is mingled. Rushes of bliss and laughter, releases of ecstasy. You lucidly interpret your life in a more holistic framework. Everthing is o.k. even if it is out of our control. Beginning to surrender to a higher power.

3) Psychodynamic visions. Unresolved repressed emotions emerge and are faced via dramatic personally meaningful imagery. This can lead to frightening encounters with suppressed memories, and can begin to break down an individuals ego structure. This is perhaps not as important or lengthy a phase for emotionally stable and integrated individuals.

Transpersonal stages

4) Birth, death and rebirth experiences. The ego/small self is frightened, crushed, overcome and reborn through intense cythonic and cathartic visions.

5) Archetypal and mythic figures – In our last trip, Allyson and I were meditating on each others faces and began to see “everyface” of humanity wash across the face of our adored one. Allyson became every woman every man and every animal and for her I became all men and all animals.

6) Energy release – kundalini movements in body – chakras opening – awareness of subtle energy systems.

7) Universal mind – cosmic unity – voidness or emptiness as ground of being beyond polarities.The Creative Process

(1) Formulation – discovery of the artist’s subject or problem.

(2) Saturation – a period of intense research on the subject/problem.

(3) Incubation – letting the unconscious sift the information and develop a response.

(4) Inspiration – a flash of your own unique solution to the problem.

(5) Translation – bringing the internal solution to outer form.

(6) Integration- sharing the creative answer with the world, and getting feedback."

http://alexgrey.com/...and-entheogens/
Original article. Helps make the creative process clearer for me.

Also this video is amazing so inspiring. At least for me.

"Greed has poisoned men's souls, has barricaded the world with hate; has goose-stepped us into misery and bloodshed.

We have developed speed, but we have shut ourselves in;
machinery that gives abundance has left us in want.
Our knowledge has made us cynical,
our cleverness hard and unkind.
We think too much and feel too little.
More than machinery we need humanity,
more than cleverness we need kindness and gentleness.

Without these qualities life will be violent and all will be lost."

I think this applies because for too long, I at least have felt that my happiness comes from external factors. I need things outside my control to happen to make me happy. If I continue with this thought train though I will never be happy because I do not control everything. I can try to control things. I can manipulate and subjugate. I can plot and scheme and try to make the world fit to me. I will never be truly happy though. You look at dictators. They are literally shaping the world around them to fit there desires. And yet there is always more. They always need more. I doubt they are ever truly happy. True happiness I believe comes from within. I need to seek that out. Or at least figure how to achieve it.

It's like that quote in Braveheart "Every man dies. Not every man lives". I don't want to exist. I want to live. Existence and thought and awareness are such beautiful tools when you think about it. I have this amazing potential within me simply because I exist and am aware I exist and yet for too long I've just been a spectator to life. Rather than fully participating in it. It's almost like I'm not fully grasping at the potential I have. Like I'm wasting it away.

I feel reinvigorated. I want to write. To draw. To paint. To just make something that captures how I'm feeling.

AceKingston
  • AceKingston

Vice

• Members
  • India

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (J. Walker @ Sunday, Jun 16 2013, 04:28)

I am so excited.

Umm okay then...

he was joking.

well I guess I have some competition, I'm releasing my story inspired by mokrie in a few weeks days or so.... I was thinking of writing a gta 4 fanfic but decided to write my own story instead. It's a gta-like story, hopefully it's a success.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:03 PM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 17 June 2013 - 01:06 PM.

QUOTE (AceKingston @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 10:44)

I am so excited.

Umm okay then...

he was joking.

well I guess I have some competition, I'm releasing my story inspired by mokrie in a few weeks days or so.... I was thinking of writing a gta 4 fanfic but decided to write my own story instead. It's a gta-like story, hopefully it's a success.

Humbling

Is the protagonist an English guy who gets confused for a Saudi Arabian dreadlocked Rasta who speaks Russian? I hope so!

Ive found it hard to write anything lately that's not garbage
Progress on my fallout ff is slow because of it
It's annoying
I write easiest at the gym...

I've avoided this place too because of it, resigning myself instead to the odd glances in V forum and posting in [Y] topic

AceKingston
  • AceKingston

Vice

• Members
  • India

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 18:33)
QUOTE (AceKingston @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 10:44)

I am so excited.

Umm okay then...

he was joking.

Humbling

Is the protagonist an English guy who gets confused for a Saudi Arabian dreadlocked Rasta who speaks Russian? I hope so!

Ive found it hard to write anything lately that's not garbage
Progress on my fallout ff is slow because of it
It's annoying
I write easiest at the gym...

Nah. tounge.gif

BTW, I mean't today not few days, the prologue isn't too long, a bit short.

fallout is annoying?

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:11 PM

Nah
The difficulty I have writing lately is annoying.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

I need my computer sad.gif I hate not writing

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 June 2013 - 04:59 PM

QUOTE (VProductions @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 17:38)
I need my computer sad.gif I hate not writing

Perhaps try this?

user posted image

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

Nah. I can never write right on paper. The ideas disappear before I can write them.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

Write the ideas down on paper first.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (VProductions @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 19:42)
Nah. I can never write right on paper. The ideas disappear before I can write them.

Ah I'm sorry, centuries of authors must have been doing it wrong then.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 22:56)
QUOTE (VProductions @ Monday, Jun 17 2013, 19:42)

Ah I'm sorry, centuries of authors must have been doing it wrong then.

Mark Twain wrote all his notes down on an iPad.

J. Walker
  • J. Walker

Gold Cane Walker

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:28 AM

I have finally started my story and the Prologue is up.

I hope you all enjoy this, I've worked very hard on it.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:59 PM

@Ziggy - Very funny. sad.gif

@Eminence - I write slow and my handwriting is horrible. Computers are my best bet I think. smile.gif

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

But in the absence of a computer, you'd choose not writing over pen and paper? Even if you have ideas/feel like writing?

Sounds like a bit of an excuse to me, that's all.

The Bar
  • The Bar

What's your poison?

• Members

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

Same here when the moment takes me. If I can't write on a computer, you can be damn sure I'll take my notepad and start jotting down notes and such for scenes and then I'll begin to write. Next time I hit up a word processor, I improve what I have written. Saying you don't want to write because you don't have a computer, is like saying you're not thirsty at a lake because you don't have a glass.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 18 June 2013 - 11:36 PM

God bless smartphones
How else do I write at the gym!
I've recorded voice clips - even phoned myself and left a message once.

Now if I can get auto correct to work - a message apparently is 'essays'

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:13 PM

You're all right, I bought a nice writing pad today. I'll do a bit of work later smile.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

I'm thinking of writing a short horror story since I have more free time on my hands. I'd like it to be very Lovecraftian. Sort of like an entry journal or recon-log of a salvaged spaceship. However, I just keep thinking of Dead Space or Event Horizon (Neither of them are sources of inspiration, but the story-devices and such seem to revolve around something similar.).

It'd be set in the year 2120 to make space travel, exploration and such a much more common thing throughout the development of the human race. Of course, by the second act of the story, it would become clear that something is just not right from the salvaged ship: URA Redemptio.

Does it seem like a readable story? I've ordered a bunch of encyclopedias as well for the fact I'd like to learn a bit more about certain things in my stories like Demonology, Physics, and the Occult.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:17 PM

It sounds very readable, ziggs. It's all in the writing. If something's well written, with good characters, and it pulls the reader in, what it's about almost becomes irrelevant. I've had the most mundane stories be thrilling because I've fallen in love with the setting or the characters or the narration.

Of course the story and plot are important, too, but my point is, if it's written well (and I expect nothing else from you), then yes, i would read it.

Assuming you don't abandon I&L of course.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 10:25 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 22:17)
It sounds very readable, ziggs. It's all in the writing. If something's well written, with good characters, and it pulls the reader in, what it's about almost becomes irrelevant. I've had the most mundane stories be thrilling because I've fallen in love with the setting or the characters or the narration.

Of course the story and plot are important, too, but my point is, if it's written well (and I expect nothing else from you), then yes, i would read it.

Assuming you don't abandon I&L of course.

I have no intention of abandoning I&L in any way, but sometimes -even with the outline and notes for it- I like to take some time away and really get into my own head and create smaller things that ultimately inspire my bigger stories in some way. I'd like my story to be a little less made-up and as I want to better myself all the time as a writer, I've ordered some encyclopedias for some mass-information dumping. Being a fan of the Occult and Demons -Dennis Wheatley is an absolute Devil-send- I've wanted some solid information sources without scouring the interwebz 24/7 for information to create a more developed, realistic story.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:00 PM

Devil send. Clever.

I applaud your efforts in research - not just for your works but in general. Random facts and if something interests you...

(talking of which I need to learn chinese cooking. It's like all i cook!)

I get you though, dw man. Its good to take a step back and look at things. I've been doing the opposite lately, leaning further and further in, on the details, and missed the big picture. I need some kind of refresher course haha

PS I'm glad the bar's back, btw. Nice little fun game. Hopefully the novelty wont wear off too quick. Starting to miss one shots too. If i wasnt writing atm, i'd probably be in there...

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:06 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 23:00)
Devil send. Clever.

I applaud your efforts in research - not just for your works but in general. Random facts and if something interests you...

(talking of which I need to learn chinese cooking. It's like all i cook!)

I get you though, dw man. Its good to take a step back and look at things. I've been doing the opposite lately, leaning further and further in, on the details, and missed the big picture. I need some kind of refresher course haha

PS I'm glad the bar's back, btw. Nice little fun game. Hopefully the novelty wont wear off too quick. Starting to miss one shots too. If i wasnt writing atm, i'd probably be in there...

I find that if I can study, and I can understand the processes and concepts, I can then in turn create my own concepts and processes based on the knowledge. I have to know my field before I can start adding my own seeds. As for Chinese cooking, I'm a stir-fry man. Even when I was in China, the food was brilliant at times and then sometimes it was just off for me. I put mustard and ketchup on alot of food. Especially the fish plates.

As for The Bar: thanks. It was a positive creation and I liked that it retains writer-attention. And considering I just got out of college, I can, for the first time in two years, look at my writing and focus on it without thinking about assignments on the side. It was hard and at times stress-relieving to sit down and bust out a few thousand words but when the assignments were up to 6,000 words I started to lose my motion and creativity. The Bar fits in because with all the free time on my hands, I can focus on running it, seeing how it develops, tweaking it, and creating a universal cooperative game that will eventually, and systematically, run without any moderation -except in a few cases.

Osric
  • Osric

In The Name Of The Moon

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:54 PM

I've been reading a bit about The Bar, and I'm thinking of getting in on that. Just need to think of a character.

The Bar
  • The Bar

What's your poison?

• Members

Posted 21 June 2013 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (Osric @ Friday, Jun 21 2013, 23:54)
I've been reading a bit about The Bar, and I'm thinking of getting in on that. Just need to think of a character.

You are not welcome to join, Osric.

Just kidding. Feel free to write a character and he will be added almost instantly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users