Photo

The Writers' Room

1,662 replies to this topic
TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (VProductions @ Friday, May 24 2013, 00:07)
So... how are you all?

Heh.. I'm good. After all that Sweet. controversy stuff earlier, this subsection of the forum saw a 537% increase in posts/activity.*

Kinda stuck writing-wise... I'm not sure where to go in Empires for chapter seven right nurr. I dunno if it's writer's block, general mind wandering, or because I keep eating too much candy, which causes me to lay down and question life.

* - probably.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

Cool, life is quite questionable tounge.gif

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

Just A Stupid Kid.

• Members
  • None

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:57 AM

I feel great. For once, I feel nice. I don't think I'll be writing for a while though, my new Creepypasta was annoying to write, and toning down the ending to seem more realistic, and less cliche took a lot out of me, and I'll be gone from Writer's Discussion for a bit. Apart from the movie reviews of course, if I ever continue that to begin with.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 04:41 PM

Am I welcome to this section again? Because I'm also 12 years old guys not 15 and I write my own stories. sad.gif

Lethal Nizzle
  • Lethal Nizzle

Optima dies, prima fugit

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

I'm good, officially finished my first year of university after my last exam today and I'm heading home for the week to chill and catch up with my mates before going back to uni for my summer ball and my flatmate's birthday. Life is swell indeed.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:09 PM

Congrats on finishing the first year, Nizzle smile.gif I hope you enjoy your cooling off period before resuming your studies. I hear Uni is very difficult, so you should be proud of yourself smile.gif

Can I have your opinion on something, guys? In my current story, there is a character who disguises themselves as different people (Beggar, fish monger) before we actually meet them in their true identity later on.
Should I make it clear that they disguised themselves? Or put in hints that would allow the reader to connect the dots themselves? I quite like the idea of people figuring out that kind of thing on their own.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 25 May 2013 - 09:59 PM

Hints that allow the reader to connect the dots, that sort of stuff is great. But the hints should come in the form of the character and their actions, not in the way you describe them.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 26 May 2013 - 03:30 PM

Em pretty much nailed that
Adding a little mystery is always good
Makes the characters seem deeper and like they have something to hide

Why does he disguise himself though - if you establish that in your mind at least, it should also show on the page. Again Hinting to that (is it a psychological thing or an occupation?) would be a very useful tool

There is something powerful in subtlety

albanyave
  • albanyave

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 26 May 2013 - 09:38 PM

QUOTE (VProductions @ Friday, May 24 2013, 00:07)
So... how are you all?

I'm just fine. The weather is nice and it's not raining today. I'm working on a story now and hopefully I will start posting it soon. Looking forward to feedback. blush.gif

Lethal Nizzle
  • Lethal Nizzle

Optima dies, prima fugit

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:31 PM

QUOTE (Typhus @ Saturday, May 25 2013, 21:09)
Congrats on finishing the first year, Nizzle smile.gif I hope you enjoy your cooling off period before resuming your studies. I hear Uni is very difficult, so you should be proud of yourself smile.gif

Thanks man, yeah looking forward to catching up with friends and getting on with some personal reading without feeling the pressure of having to read my set texts! Uni is certainly a step up from A-Level but I got accustomed to it relatively quickly. Although, the first year doesn't really count for much, if anything, it's just a year to get ridiculously drunk, meet new people, get used to the course and make mistakes, in all meanings of the word.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:27 PM

In many ways I found uni to be easier than A-level, haha. Maybe that's down to there being so few contact hours on my course. It's weird, from A-level onwards I found things got progressively easier; first year was the most strenuous for me, second a little easier and third easier still.

Lethal Nizzle
  • Lethal Nizzle

Optima dies, prima fugit

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 05:33 PM

Oh that's interesting, what did you study? Yeah this year I had about 9/10 contact hours a week, I'm expecting that to increase next year.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:57 PM

English. I had 16-18 contact hours first year, we did a mixture of language and literature so there were quite a few modules. Second year I dropped all the language ones and we only had 8-10 hours, third was about the same.

What are you studying?

Lethal Nizzle
  • Lethal Nizzle

Optima dies, prima fugit

• Members

Posted 27 May 2013 - 07:18 PM

Wow that's a lot more than what I had this year. I actually think a few students complained about the lack of contact hours, and the head of English had to send an email out saying that these "wasted hours" are meant for private study/reading etc., which makes sense.

I'm doing English Literature, although I have had the options (both this year and next year) to choose language modules. I picked an introductory module on either "Middle English" or "early English" (I can't remember) back in October and the first lecture saw us having about four/five extracts of archaic translations of the Bible that we had to compare or something, and that was something that didn't interest me in the slightest. I actually walked up to the lecturer while we were set this work and asked if I could leave to swap my module. lol.gif

Lochie
  • Lochie

darkness washed over the dude

• The Connection

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

How much does uni cost you guys over there? I used to study game design but ended up dropping out because it was so boring. I would really love to study creative writing or literature but here in Australia its $6000 (roughly) a semester and the courses run usually 3 - 4 years. I'd just hate to make that commitment only to find out that I hate it.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

When I went it was about £3000 per year, which has now tripled to £9000 - ridiculous. It's all covered by student loans, so you don't have to actually pay any of it upfront... but you get saddled with the debt (plus the debt of maintenance loans) after you leave.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:00 AM

Education over here is pretty ridiculous in terms of paying for it. It's a lot more economically viable to go to community college for a few years, then switch over to a university if you think it's important enough. Seriously though, student loans are insane and it's one of those bubbles that is going to be really messy to clean up when it finally does pop.

I just wish our government paid for higher education like other countries. sad.gif

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• Leone Family Mafia
  • European-Union

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:01 AM

QUOTE (Eminence @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 00:49)
When I went it was about £3000 per year, which has now tripled to £9000 - ridiculous. It's all covered by student loans, so you don't have to actually pay any of it upfront... but you get saddled with the debt (plus the debt of maintenance loans) after you leave.

It is indeed outrageous - if you're from a lower income background, the fee waivers, bursaries and grants are quite generous, but if you're middle class you will be squeezed by the tripling of fees.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 28 May 2013 - 01:27 AM

Uni was never an option for me. I did look into a level English but for some reason that never happened, which is a regret. Perhaps I would have pursued it further had I stayed at school and not gone to college for IT...

To answer the earlier question of how we are; I'm not greet, in a writing point of view. I've lost all drive much like ziggy recently, I suppose. The though of writing just feels.... Pointless. It's like... I have no faith in myself anymore, I don't feel I can hold the readers interest, or even my own. Taking time out makes it worse, and excersizes as I've advised just alienate me from it even more. I've a risky Half avoided this area recently because I've felt like a fraud in a way

"i am not a writer, except when I write."

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 28 May 2013 - 02:30 AM

Eh, I've been having something similar lately. It's not that I don't have faith in my work, it's just that I suck at starting. Not specifically starting a story, but starting any thing - could be in the middle of a story in my head, could be starting a routine I don't have established. I think it's because we tend to get stuck in our ways, and that extends into writing. Especially when we make it out to be some mystical thing where people can be blocked or lack the creativity to be a good writer. That's not what being a writer is even about. Writing is writing, and the more you do it - no matter if you're into it in that moment - the better you will become. I think Stephen King said something like, "your first 1,000,000 words are going to be horrible" and that feels very true.

Also, in my case, I just enjoy non-linear storytelling and nonfiction writing. I could orally make up sh*t on a dime with friends and be copacetic, but the minute I take out time to write a story I've been planning, I fail horribly. Same with nonfiction - I could drone on forever, then take apart what I said into the bare necessities and publish that, but when I try to take creative license with real life events and put them into a fictional setting, my brain implodes. It's just things I need to work on.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:41 AM

I'll be shipping up to Bournemouth in a few months, and only then if everything goes to plan. In the end, I'm not so sure if I want to go to Uni this year or just work. A few of my friends are leaving for India and I'd rather spend a good year with them rather than barely seeing them for the short duration. As for Uni, I'm trying hard to get the grades and such but somehow I feel like it ain't enough.

I've redeemed some faith in myself as a writer. Okay, my writing is a little simple, but I'm working on that. But the funding is a pisstake. 9,000 a year for four years. It's just a big middle finger to most students.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

Kind of relating to ziggys story here but I just had 2 extremely vivid dreams which when I awoke from I felt I had romantic feelings to one of the characters. I was basically in Birmingham which was intercrossed with Paris for some reason. I went to see Notre Dame which was just a stain glass window planted face downwards on the top of a massive hill - looking at the inside of the hill as it were. I was proper scared of heights walking up and had this female tourist comfort me (I'm not even scared of heights). In my dream I started falling a bit in love with her and then when we reached the Notre Dame window we met an older couple and got chatting to them. I was kind of both in love with them as well. Anyway I was too scared to walk back down the hill so we all slept the night there at this fictionalised Notre Dame. Can't remember much more from it other than that. My dreams are never that vivid and never have a narrative to them. It was like something I'd expect to see in some indie little movie. I wish they were all were real people but I have a feeling that the girl in paticular would be too "perfect" to exist.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 10:47)
Kind of relating to ziggys story here but I just had 2 extremely vivid dreams which when I awoke from I felt I had romantic feelings to one of the characters. I was basically in Birmingham which was intercrossed with Paris for some reason. I went to see Notre Dame which was just a stain glass window planted face downwards on the top of a massive hill - looking at the inside of the hill as it were. I was proper scared of heights walking up and had this female tourist comfort me (I'm not even scared of heights). In my dream I started falling a bit in love with her and then when we reached the Notre Dame window we met an older couple and got chatting to them. I was kind of both in love with them as well. Anyway I was too scared to walk back down the hill so we all slept the night there at this fictionalised Notre Dame. Can't remember much more from it other than that. My dreams are never that vivid and never have a narrative to them. It was like something I'd expect to see in some indie little movie. I wish they were all were real people but I have a feeling that the girl in paticular would be too "perfect" to exist.

Crazy, ain't it? You live a life in a few hours, and wake up feeling empty. Not knowing what the hell just happened, and for a brief second, you wish you could fall back asleep.

Lethal Nizzle
  • Lethal Nizzle

Optima dies, prima fugit

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'm quite lucky compared to English students; the Welsh Assembly subsidizes around two-thirds of the £9000 yearly fee, so I only have to pay roughly £3450 a year. This means that for my three-year course, the amount I pay is just over the same amount English students have to pay for one year's worth of tuition.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 28 May 2013 - 04:07 PM

QUOTE (Lethal Nizzle @ Tuesday, May 28 2013, 12:37)
I'm quite lucky compared to English students; the Welsh Assembly subsidizes around two-thirds of the £9000 yearly fee, so I only have to pay roughly £3450 a year. This means that for my three-year course, the amount I pay is just over the same amount English students have to pay for one year's worth of tuition.

user posted image

3,000 PER YEAR!? Damn. I wish I only had those expenses at the end of my educational hell.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 30 May 2013 - 12:21 PM

I've managed to do a little writing. Not much but a page or so to a fanfic - yes, shoot me.

Feels good to have got something written, even if it's just one scene and even if it's pretty sh*tty.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 30 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Thursday, May 30 2013, 12:21)
I've managed to do a little writing. Not much but a page or so to a fanfic - yes, shoot me.

Feels good to have got something written, even if it's just one scene and even if it's pretty sh*tty.

Sometimes you're the beamer, other days you're the God-damn dear.

Some days I'll barely want to look at something I've written, and then other days, like yesterday where I can write out a good 3,000 words, I'll be happy. It's very challenging dealing with the ups and downs of creativity.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:14 PM Edited by Eminence, 30 May 2013 - 02:17 PM.

Best thing I've read on the subject in a while. Taken from an interview with Brian Helgeland:

"Given your long writing days, what do you do when you hit a wall? Do you have patches of fatigue or block? If so, whatís your magic cure?

You know what? I strongly think that there is no such thing as writerís block. I donít mean that Iím always ready with an idea or flowing along perfectly, but I just think the state of writerís block is part of writing.

Itís like, if I have a great day writing I know the next day Iím going to have a miserable one because Iím going to pay for the good day. Or the block, just staringÖ sitting all day staring at the wall thinking Iím an idiot is why the next day I was able to get through whatever it was and write. If you try to avoid writerís block, youíre avoiding the price you have to pay to write, you know, if youíre only going to sit down and write when itís easy."

Let him say it again, folks:

"If you try to avoid writerís block, youíre avoiding the price you have to pay to write, you know, if youíre only going to sit down and write when itís easy."

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 02:57 PM

Doesn't that contradict it's self in a way?

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Thursday, May 30 2013, 17:51)
shoot me.

MoSA points the gun at Mokrie's forehead and waits for Eminence's signal with bated breath.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users