Photo

The Writers' Room

1,652 replies to this topic
Lethal Nizzle
  • Lethal Nizzle

Optima dies, prima fugit

• Members

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:57 PM

Currently re-reading Jane Eyre for my exam next Friday.

Kill me.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Did you lose oyur job because you spent your time posting scripts on here tounge.gif.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:50 PM

Thanks guys, I am also planning a creepypasta along with Blackout which should be up by Thursday atleast. Inspiration is obviously taken from The Pizza Delivery Guy.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 17 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hey everyone, how are you all?

El Zilcho
  • El Zilcho

Virtuoso

• Leone Family Mafia
  • European-Union

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE (Lethal Nizzle @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 13:57)
Currently re-reading Jane Eyre for my exam next Friday.

Kill me.

Just did an English exam today on a comparison of Percy Shelley's sonnet Ozymandias (it's brilliant I will add), and then work on In Cold Blood by Truman Capote and True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey. So, I absolutely feel your pain.

IDredMan
  • IDredMan

Dred

• Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

Posted a small bit of the city of demons and noone had anything to say about it.
Not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:50 PM Edited by TonyZimmzy, 17 May 2013 - 11:05 PM.

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Wednesday, May 15 2013, 15:47)
Did you lose oyur job because you spent your time posting scripts on here tounge.gif.

Haha, nah. General cutbacks, and I was always too tired to do any work cause I spend half the day training. Take constant naps at work and sh*t!

Edit so I don't double post: Just finished writing chapter six and tweaking some of chapter two for Empires. Almost time to post that sh*t up. Writer's Discussion seems slower than usual these past two or three days. sad.gif

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 18 May 2013 - 07:37 PM Edited by GTA-King, 18 May 2013 - 07:45 PM.

QUOTE (orbitalraindrops @ Sunday, May 12 2013, 11:58)

user posted image

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 19 May 2013 - 02:54 AM

I'm curious
What passions do you guys have aside from writing

Myself and eminence are both bassists (em, upload a vid of you playing to youtube man)

Apart from the above I'm a huge football (soccer) guy. Goalkeeper
Today was the realisation of a dream of mine: saving a penalty (an actual full on diving save!!!!!!) of which I'm extremely happy an proud about - like penning the perfec similie (see what I did there?)

I'm aware of the connection between music and writing (there appears to be none between goalkeeping and writing!) but I wanna know most of you guys I respect deeply - what else do you have a passion for?

AceRay
  • AceRay

In my restless dreams, I see that town...

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:30 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 15:54)

Watching anime, specifically Neon Genesis Evangelion. I watched it about a month or so ago and I was impressed. Its just so deep and meaningful. If there's any other Eva fans around, give me a shout! Currently I'm watching Sword Art Online, but I've also watched some Code Geass, Steins Gate and Cowboy Bebop too, I love them. Specifically, that falling scene in episode 5 of Bebop is seriously awe inspiring, its the best scene ever filmed in any TV show or movie:

I also enjoy reading John Grisham law thriller novels, I'm trying to read all 22 of them. My favourite is definitely The Partner, its very well written and probably the most complex of them. He's a very good Thriller writer I'd definitely recommend.

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 03:54)

Getting platinum trophies on ps3 games. tounge.gif

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Saturday, May 18 2013, 20:54)

Music is big. I try to consistently discuss the stuff I like with other folks, get them listening, etc. I also play a few instruments, though I'm trying to pick up on some general production right now for fun. I love learning new instruments and composing stuff, though listening and discussing music and the context of it is probably more my bag.

Visual art like paintings and drawings are up there on my list of passions due simply to the emotion they can convey. Edward Hopper's paintings give us a sense of isolation and unease with the way they depict this romantic era (in the US) that seems like it was an eternity ago, and the faces are all blank and the people all seem distanced, without emotion and ultimately separate from one another. That kind of sh*t is beautiful to me. I'm all about that expressionism, surrealism, and modern art in general. Forgive me for the name and genre dropping, but I find labels important when discussing something so subjective.

Television is a bit lower on my list, mostly because while time-consuming, I find most shows ultimately aren't worth watching all the way through. The serial nature of television is great at creating a world in a three-dimensional way, though. A sort of panorama of a moment, caught and kept in stasis. Things like Mad Men that give us an arc of various characters connected through a profession, or even The Wire, a show that gives us a running theme of the hidden connections in a society from the legal system down to education and media.

Film is more my bag, though. Film creates an emotion, a message, an idea- all in a shorter, (sometimes) more definite way than the above mediums do. Every shot is important. Generations of building on top of the ones who came before has led to the marvelous film variety that we have now. Personally, I love the absolute hell out of films like Paris, Texas and The Graduate. Stuff gets me going. It's a team of people that distill this central idea through various plot devices and music selection and camera placement. It really is one of my favorite things out there to see a good film. Things like The Shining's trailer can give us an entire feeling condensed into barely a minute of simple camera placement, music composition, lighting, prop placement and some dyed water.

Paintings were probably my first introduction into art, followed by music and the other stuff. However the one that has brought the most emotion and therefore made me want to do the same, is writing. Something about communication through word feels more evocative than the brush, the instrument or the camera. It's why we write to one another, why we label with words, why every color has a word corresponding to it, why every film has a name, etc. Words are the most condensed way that we can deliver our own ideas to the world, and conversely they are how the world can change us. It's an art because not everyone can elicit the response they wanted. Not everyone can draw those ideas just how they seem in the implicit form that they're in when they're just pure thought. I've been doing it most of my life and I still suck horribly at delivering a world or characters that I'm satisfied with. I find it much easier to critique things around me, which is why I am much less of a poet and much more of a communications guy.

Outside of the arts, I love a few other things. Dancing is the sh*t. I dance whenever I get the chance. Boxing is also great, as is (good-natured) fighting, in general. I dig watching both as much as doing. News, both political and scientific, is very big in my life. That's probably obvious given my emphasis on condensing ideas and delivery, though. I also love biology and medicine, which led to my very true to form passion of all things on the forefront of those fields. Things like new prosthesis that are useful even to those who haven't lost limbs. Soon enough it'll be commonplace, maybe even in our lives. Who knows though, right? I also love body modification and fashion in general, which leads back to the expressionism thing. Tattoos, piercings, dyed hair or unconventional stylesl. It's pretty legit for the most part.

I guess in general most of my passion comes from the ideas of beauty in the world, along with my want to communicate efficiently the ideas that I have, and what I think others have. Those two things are kind of what leads into everything else, and they're things I actively seek out in the world, so I guess they're passions in that respect. Also, sex is pretty awesome.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:11 AM

Am I the only one who does concept art for their stories? I find drawing characters really helps me figure out both the intricacies of their clothing but also gives me a keen sense of their personality. I'd post stuff here, but I did so years back and no one really 'got' the idea of doing concept art for literature.
But I still think it's a damn good way to create an instant connection between you and your characters.

Tyler
  • Tyler

time is a flat circle

• Unknown

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Yeah dude, I feel it. I do some sketches for the scenery and whatnot, if the story calls for it. A lot of what I write lately has been more roman a clef though, so most of my inspiration is from purely grounded, visualized people and places. The sketches in those cases are mostly just how each character sees one another rather than what is objectively there. Things like fear or another character making them look angrier and more muscular, or love making them see nothing but the person themselves. I like making concept drawings like that.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 19 May 2013 - 09:29 AM

QUOTE (Tyler @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 09:15)
Yeah dude, I feel it. I do some sketches for the scenery and whatnot, if the story calls for it. A lot of what I write lately has been more roman a clef though, so most of my inspiration is from purely grounded, visualized people and places. The sketches in those cases are mostly just how each character sees one another rather than what is objectively there. Things like fear or another character making them look angrier and more muscular, or love making them see nothing but the person themselves. I like making concept drawings like that.

I'd love to see some of your stuff. You've gotten me intrigued smile.gif
Are you on DeviantArt or anything?

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 11:34 AM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 02:54)

Music's pretty big in my life as well. I had a solid band going for a good few years, and me and a few other people still collaborate here and there. Furthest we ever branched out was a week-long tour over the UK and managed to win some competition where we could record a 4-track EP for free. Was good times. Forever working on something creative. Jiu Jitsu is another big passion as well.

Some shoddy fan cam footage of our final show 3-4 years ago. I was on vocals, back in my fat days! happy.gif

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

cool stuff.

Typhus; creativity seems to ooze out of you. Music's big for me too, and i often find myself writing to tracks or wanting to include music in my works in some way. The end of JIF for example, I shared a music track (which admittedly didn't go down too well) which i felt went well with the story/finale.

I also do some concept art for my stories. Those that remember Thames City might remember the maps i did.
Theres: http://img831.images...32/photo4hi.jpg
http://img38.imagesh...15/photo5gu.jpg
for my AC fanfic.

It helps having a visual aid i think.

Tonyz; i also was in a band but because our guitarist/frontman was a complete douche, we only ever had one gig! A shame because we were actually pretty good - on our instruments at least. Not a strong singer between us. I keep trying to get the courage to upload my cover of "galway girl" to youtube, but not quite yet!

I still find myself jotting down ideas for songs though, just in case you know.

Dunno if i mentioned it but football. I'm a goalkeeper, and love it. Just this sat, I saved 2 penalties in a shootout!! biggrin.gif

PS I too would like to see any of your guys other creations - concepts, paintings, even music tracks.

--------------------

Not getting much interest in Nikolay's Nightmare. There a reason for that? sad.gif

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 12:17 PM

Besides writing?

Writing scripts! tounge.gif

Life's been a little hectic for the last year so I haven't been doing much besides college sh*t. But when I head to Uni -Or work for a little bit- I'll prolly start up at the gym, might start Kung-Fu and MMA as I have a lot of free time on my hands.

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 10:22)
PS I too would like to see any of your guys other creations - concepts, paintings, even music tracks.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/h4ylxg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/7lcfsu

we're still mixing some new demos and coming up with ideas. instruments are all one person, and vocals/harmonies are me. we're either just gonna keep it us two or branch out eventually and get more guys in. sleepy.gif

Lethal Nizzle
  • Lethal Nizzle

Optima dies, prima fugit

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 02:54)
I'm curious

Apart from the above I'm a huge football (soccer) guy. Goalkeeper
Today was the realisation of a dream of mine: saving a penalty (an actual full on diving save!!!!!!) of which I'm extremely happy an proud about - like penning the perfec similie (see what I did there?)

I'm aware of the connection between music and writing (there appears to be none between goalkeeping and writing!) but I wanna know most of you guys I respect deeply - what else do you have a passion for?

Apart from writing I like to read obviously. I have a lot of personal reading that I want to do but I also have set texts for my second year at uni that I have to get cracking on over the summer. I'm also a football guy like you Mokrie; I play for my university team at centre-half/right-back and when I'm back home I play for my local side when I can. I love the game and I support Cardiff City but I was also brought up to follow Tottenham Hotspur.

I also like to partake in the consumption of copious amounts of beverages, as a stereotypical university student.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 21 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

Dammit ios doesn't support that zim!
Ill check it out on the laptop later

How did I miss the mention of sex! Haha is indeed awesome.

I forgot to add food (cooking and eating) to my list too tounge.gif
Can't beat a good rack of ribs or a steak!

Claude4Catalina
  • Claude4Catalina

being a fag since '07

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

where do we stand on posting movie scripts in the Writers' Discussion forum? I understand a script isn't a fully fleshed out narrative, I've spent a lot of time writing short stories based on the Vietnam War, and more to broaden my writing horizons and switch it up a little, I've begun writing a movie script for a film the same Vietnam War backdrop. I'm not expecting it to be much past a typical war film, I just felt like I should try writing in a different format and once its complete, I wouldn't mind some feedback on it if we're alright to post scripts here? I'm a bit new to this part of the forum, I tend to post Concept Threads in the GTA Series Chat area.

Ziggy455
  • Ziggy455

I'm the writer.

• Members

Posted 21 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Claude4Catalina @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 18:13)
where do we stand on posting movie scripts in the Writers' Discussion forum? I understand a script isn't a fully fleshed out narrative, I've spent a lot of time writing short stories based on the Vietnam War, and more to broaden my writing horizons and switch it up a little, I've begun writing a movie script for a film the same Vietnam War backdrop. I'm not expecting it to be much past a typical war film, I just felt like I should try writing in a different format and once its complete, I wouldn't mind some feedback on it if we're alright to post scripts here? I'm a bit new to this part of the forum, I tend to post Concept Threads in the GTA Series Chat area.

Scripts are okay to post. If they're out of your own creativity as well, then yes, we'd definitely love to see one. Eminence is a script-buff, as am I although maybe not as skilled with the wordings.

Upload it. Let's have a read.

Eminence
  • Eminence

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (Claude4Catalina @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 19:13)
I understand a script isn't a fully fleshed out narrative

Yes it is! It's just not written in prose, that's all.

It'd be great for you to share it here. The only thing you can't do is get the formatting spot on, but that's not really a big issue as long as it's readable.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (TonyZimmzy @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 14:24)

we're still mixing some new demos and coming up with ideas. instruments are all one person, and vocals/harmonies are me. we're either just gonna keep it us two or branch out eventually and get more guys in. sleepy.gif

Heard them. Not bad vocals!

Thought they sound very washed out. Like whoever mixed that hasn't made them cut through too well but you said you're still mixing so that's cool.

sounds pretty good smile.gif

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (Mokrie Dela @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 23:31)
QUOTE (TonyZimmzy @ Tuesday, May 21 2013, 14:24)

Heard them. Not bad vocals!

Thought they sound very washed out. Like whoever mixed that hasn't made them cut through too well but you said you're still mixing so that's cool.

sounds pretty good smile.gif

Most of it is entirely unmixed yet, bar a bit of chorus on the harmonies. He's busy with another band at the minute, so I guess we'll be on hold for a while.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:22 AM Edited by Mokrie Dela, 23 May 2013 - 01:27 AM.

Cool
I actually know a guy (youtube: viperfrank) who could do that kinda stuff (I collaborated with him on galway girl - my lack of singing ability coupled with the cold I had, makes me reluctant to share it though I want to - it goes muse-y at the end!) though he'd be too busy with his day job to do much of that for people. I got lucky with GG as he had 3 days off - the entire recording was done in 3 days and part over skype!

Defo let me know when it's done; I'd love to hear the full thing, and who knows I might even buy a copy!

While I'm here; I'm reading through heart city! I've delayed getting my next Clancy book so I can finish it. Old I know and I'm late to the party but I'm enjoying it.lots of issues with the writing but I read part of your later stuff and could see improvement so no point dwelling on things already addressed. I'm finding Sean an enjoyable character, partly because I've confused him with the bad guy of Tom clancys 'patriot games' (Sean miller) who was played by Sean bean in the film, so now YOUR Sean, in my head, is Sean bean !

Onward!

TonyZimmzy
  • TonyZimmzy

The Bearded Child

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:35 AM

Haha, yeah that's cool man. I recently re-read it to jog my memory on events and things before writing Legacy/Empires. Pained me to read some of it... Buuut we live and learn from grammar/spelling mistakes. Writer's D sure has slowed to a crawl lately. Pretty easy to keep up with all the pieces in here. Might be time to slit my own throat.

Mokrie Dela
  • Mokrie Dela

МОКРЫЕДЕЛA

• The Yardies
  • None

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think most people have gone on holiday to avoid the V Virus

Something is seriously wrong with those folk!

VProductions
  • VProductions

Mack Pimp

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:07 AM

So... how are you all?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users