Photo

Leveling Skills?

12 replies to this topic
IAmFairbrother
  • IAmFairbrother

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

As you may know in GTA SA you were able to level your skills for example guns, driving and flying, when you did level the guns up far enough you'd get dual weapons. Do you think this will make a return and would it fit into the game?

Post your opinions guys/gals!

Thanks for reading! smile.gif

RoadRunner71
  • RoadRunner71

Try to Run, Try to Hide

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

I'd live to have dual weapons but having to improve the skills was kinda annoying.

IAmFairbrother
  • IAmFairbrother

Rat

• Members

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:10 PM

Just thought to myself, Micheal wont be much of the one handed slanted gun holding as he is in a way more sophisticated unlike Franklin whi is probably capping asses in that sort of fashion.

GetWoody
  • GetWoody

Greedy Jew

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:12 PM

Honestly not a big fan of RPG elements, it usually just makes a game way too easy about midway through.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

I liked the progress bar, the only thing I didn't like is once you got max level on the pistols you HAD to dual wield.

TheMisanthrope
  • TheMisanthrope

Idiots, idiots everywhere.

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:53 AM

Well being able to choose if you want to dual wield pistols would be fine but it never made sense why you had to have a particular set of skills to know how to use two guns at once.... But I'm almost possitive there won't be any type of leveling up or unlocking skills as it was stated in the GI magazine cover if I remember correctly.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Saturday, Apr 13 2013, 23:14)
I liked the progress bar, the only thing I didn't like is once you got max level on the pistols you HAD to dual wield.

This was a problem for me, too.

Tbh, the skills system never really seemed appropriate or necessary for GTA, as much I personally enjoy a good RPGs. Skills kind of force themselves on the player and the playstyle. Why nerf my driving or shooting skills when you can just have cars and weapons that handle differently? With enough driving skill or shooting skill, the cars will all just start to drive the same and the guns will start to handle the same as well, which is boring.

Skill trees are great for games with otherwise boring or repetitive gameplay (e.g., Skyrim). They add extra incentive where said incentive is sorely needed. With GTA, the devil is in the details. Skills will only obscure the player's perception of those details. IV and RDR proved they're not needed.

Unique perks, on the other hand, are awesome. I mean, what's cooler? Arbitrary +5 handgun damage or the ability to have your friend deliver you a car bomb? I'd say the latter.

Revolution-XW
  • Revolution-XW

LuisWayne

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (RoadRunner71 @ Saturday, Apr 13 2013, 23:07)
I'd live to have dual weapons but having to improve the skills was kinda annoying.

I don't see how it was annoying honestly?

It made the game more challenging and interesting having to work for certain things.

Just like going to many clothing stores in each town to find the best of the best.

I'd love to be able to improve my skills like in SA. icon14.gif

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:48 AM

I'd like to have a choice whether to use dual weapons or not. On SA, once you got to max, you HAD to use dual weapons. It would've been nice to turn it on or off somehow.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

• Members
  • None

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:57 AM

That's a tough one, I do like being able to progress but others made some good points.

It'd probably be too much trouble having 3 separate characters all with their own rpg style skill sets. I would imagine Michael and Trevor already know how to handle guns pretty well anyways.

Honest Bill
  • Honest Bill

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:15 AM

The trouble with this kind of thing, is that it puts an artificial learning curve on the game. Like driving for instance, why would you need to have a skill bar, when it works that way naturally anyway? When you first start playing you will suck, and as you practice and learn you will naturally become more skilled at driving anyway without having to impose an artificial system upon you. It seems like a cheap way of adding depth to certain aspects of a game which are too shallow.

Bmike904
  • Bmike904

Rat

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (Honest Bill @ Sunday, Apr 14 2013, 02:15)
The trouble with this kind of thing, is that it puts an artificial learning curve on the game. Like driving for instance, why would you need to have a skill bar, when it works that way naturally anyway? When you first start playing you will suck, and as you practice and learn you will naturally become more skilled at driving anyway without having to impose an artificial system upon you. It seems like a cheap way of adding depth to certain aspects of a game which are too shallow.

Agree 100%

superhobo666
  • superhobo666

Prankster

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:07 AM

Personally I found San Andreas had a good thing going for the skills.

they didn't take too long to train, and the benefits of each level where noticeable.

my only issue is that it makes a forced "learning curve"

but it also gives you a good bonus for running a lot, or cycling/trainig at the gym a lot.

I don't think the mechanic would fit given we have 3 protagonists in this game, Mind you if this where San Andreas 2.0, it could totally work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users