» «
Photo

Bug-free Sound Overhaul Mod for San A

69 replies to this topic
Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:25 PM Edited by Triangulum, 05 May 2013 - 03:48 AM.

Triangulum's Sound Overhaul Mod 2013

Beta 0.1 Release demonstration:

(My audio driver isn't great for recording Windows sound, so everything will have higher quality audio during normal gameplay)

This mod replaces most of the commonly heard sounds in GTA: San Andreas contained within the GENRL and FEET archives. The aim of this mod is to work within the constraints of the game engine to ensure that no major bugs will occur.

Many other sound modifications will commonly use sounds that are higher quality or longer in duration than their original counterparts, leading to issues which include interference from random game sounds, high-pitched clicks, and improper looping. One of the most common of these bugs is the rain bug, which is an interference bug caused by improperly modified weapon sounds. In this bug, the rain will sample random bits of game audio (usually banging/clanging sounds) in place of the sound normally used for rain.

To avoid bugs, every sound bank folder must be the same size as the original. The easiest way to accomplish this is to have every sound use the same duration and frequency as its original counterpart.

However, for the gun sounds (bank 137), I was able to use higher quality and longer duration audio by decreasing the size of other sounds within the same bank. This only works for sound banks with many sounds that have the potential to be shortened with no noticeable reduction in quality during gameplay.

List of sounds this mod replaces

(In GENRL)
  • Gun sounds
  • Reload sounds
  • Car sounds
  • Bike sounds
  • Plane sounds
  • Helicopter sounds
  • Train sounds
  • Explosion sound
  • Fire sound
  • Supersonic bullet crack/impact sounds
  • Siren sounds
  • Crash sounds
  • Garage door sound
  • Braking/tire skid sound
  • Rain sound
  • Interface sounds
  • Car door sounds
  • Car start sound
(In FEET)
  • Pavement footstep sounds
  • Gravel footstep sounds
  • Grass footstep sounds
  • Metal footstep sounds
  • Dirt footstep sounds

Known Issues
  • Some of the vehicle sounds become glitched in SA-MP, mostly on popular severs with 50+ players. I'm going to look into fixing this before the next release.
Planned additions / improvements for future versions
  • Pedestrian pain/scream sounds
  • Sounds for the five remaining car/bike sounds not covered in the beta release
  • Alternate suppressed gun sounds
  • Alternate reload for revolvers
  • Alternate sounds for different types of jet aircraft
  • Alternate sound for steam locomotives
  • Various types of emergency sirens
Download:
http://www.mediafire...hh2k3drh8is2c10

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

Sweet, just as I asked in one of your videos if you can make a little sneak-peak into your sound mod. tounge.gif
So yeah, can you make a small preview video of some vehicle sounds not yet presented? Would appreciate a lot! smile.gif

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Saturday, Apr 13 2013, 19:29)

So yeah, can you make a small preview video of some vehicle sounds not yet presented? Would appreciate a lot! smile.gif

Well, I have almost all the car sounds modified so far except for the final gear sound, so none of them are exactly complete yet.

It's almost impossible to get it to loop properly even using the same duration (I think it renders it to only loop the last 40% of the sound), but I'll have a demonstration video up once I can figure it out! smile.gif

HPro
  • HPro

Time to be a Ghost

• BUSTED!

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Could you give me link for every of your sounds mod ONLY and the last update please. Thank

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

QUOTE (HPro @ Saturday, Apr 13 2013, 20:03)
Could you give me link for every of your sounds mod ONLY and the last update please. Thank

The download links for some of the sounds being considered for use in this mod are in the video descriptions.

The last "update" I made available for download is Realistic Gun Sounds version 8.1, but the final release will have a slightly different version that I won't be releasing until everything else is complete.

Ηeath
  • Ηeath

Just Do It.

• Members

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:06 PM

Awesome! Good work! icon14.gif Are you also gonna replace the sounds for the ones in 'stream' and PAIN_A?

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 05:40 AM

QUOTE (JF-Mir2 @ Saturday, Apr 13 2013, 23:06)
Awesome! Good work! icon14.gif Are you also gonna replace the sounds for the ones in 'stream' and PAIN_A?

I might see if I can get better sounds for some of the .ogg files in streams/AMBIENCE, maybe for wind/ocean waves. But for the most part, the streams archives are comprised of game music on radio stations and in some interiors, which I don't plan to change.

The original PAIN_A sounds are a part of what make this game hilarious so I'd want to still make them available, but I'll be including new pedestrian screams in a future version as optional sounds. My primary focus now is just completing GENRL and FEET.

Ηeath
  • Ηeath

Just Do It.

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Great! Hope you finish. Well done. smile.gif

damiann69
  • damiann69

He he

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 14 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

I'm really amazed how sophisticated approach you have to your work. In times when we have fancy ENB series and high poly vehicles we really need more realistic and vivid sounds smile.gif . Result must be great!

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None
  • Most Knowledgeable [GTA] 2013
    Best Map 2013 "ViceCityStories PC Edition"

Posted 15 April 2013 - 02:38 AM

You should REALLY wait to see what we've done. wink.gif June 6th.

Gramps
  • Gramps

★★★★★

• Feroci
  • New-Zealand

Posted 15 April 2013 - 06:19 AM

Advertising in someone else's thread?

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 17 April 2013 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE (methodunderg @ Monday, Apr 15 2013, 06:19)
Advertising in someone else's thread?

For their own good, seriously, we've been working on this for well over a year and have finally made progress in being able to replace any sound file WITHOUT any bugs, including the ability to re-assign and add or remove to the archive without it glitching, here's a rushed video to show that:

Once the mod is released and everything is polished up, including a run down and brief of archives/bankslots, etc, we're making it public, it's complicated, but once you get the hang of it, finally, you'll have the ability to replace sounds in this game without things screwing up.

damiann69
  • damiann69

He he

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

So we are waiting for your own topic. Competition makes profits for everybody smile.gif .

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:12 PM

Why would we want to compete? We just trying to keep people informed tounge.gif

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 11:04)
For their own good, seriously, we've been working on this for well over a year and have finally made progress in being able to replace any sound file WITHOUT any bugs, including the ability to re-assign and add or remove to the archive without it glitching, here's a rushed video to show that:

Once the mod is released and everything is polished up, including a run down and brief of archives/bankslots, etc, we're making it public, it's complicated, but once you get the hang of it, finally, you'll have the ability to replace sounds in this game without things screwing up.

So, a mod that re-arranges SA's sound archives to allow for the capability to bypass size limits for bug-free sounds? wow.gif Honestly, it would be great if there was something that allowed that, since the audio system in SA's engine is a complete mess in its present state.

I don't think the video of VC sounds is a good example for demonstrating this though; those sounds are short enough that can already be easily converted to SA as bug-free sounds without any additional mods that re-structure the audio system.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (Triangulum @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 00:51)
So, a mod that re-arranges SA's sound archives to allow for the capability to bypass size limits for bug-free sounds?  wow.gif   Honestly, it would be great if there was something that allowed that, since the audio system in SA's engine is a complete mess in its present state.

I don't think the video of VC sounds is a good example for demonstrating this though; those sounds are short enough that can already be easily converted to SA as bug-free sounds without any additional mods that re-structure the audio system.

In the case for the VCS mod, it makes sense that we're using those sounds. tounge.gif

But yes, it took a bloody long time, but it seems to be cracked, and we have like audio dumps and records for each specific sound banks, etc, there's a LOT of stuff here, but what we have now is a system that preps the game whenever a file is changed so it will play it properly, and of course you can assign slots to specific weapons, etc, for example, in that video above, you'll notice the Colt and the Python have their own SFX, where as in normal San Andreas they share an SFX which is pitch altered.

So for projects like this, where you want to try and get the weapons sounding as close to real life as possible, you can now do that, they don't have to share, you can assign each weapon it's own audio file, you can build it how you like without limits, it seems a shame to put this much effort in this project now when in a few weeks time, you can do it how you REALLY want to, we're just sorting out the method and what to document at the moment.

It is something we're proud of (well mainly Silent works here, he's the genius behind it), we can also control the Radio system to (still stuck in the confines of the 10MB limit though on OGG files) but with clever planning you can work around that easily, etc.

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:54 AM

But, can't you do a little co-operation? Can't you help him out a bit and send him it and trust that he won't release his mod with the tool before you release it? It would save a lot of time for him.,.

Ash_735
  • Ash_735

1 627 826 3789

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 10:54)
But, can't you do a little co-operation? Can't you help him out a bit and send him it and trust that he won't release his mod with the tool before you release it? It would save a lot of time for him.,.

It's not a case of trust, it's a case of, we have a load of stuff here, and need to write proper clear instructions and refine it to be as friendly as possible, I mean, we could just send the bulk files over, but we'd have to take some time to explain what needs to be done, etc.

Like I said, it is going to be released, once everything is cleaned up and documented.

Silent
  • Silent

Moderating Cookie Monster

• Feroci
  • Poland
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2013
    Most Talented [Modding] 2013
    Best Vehicle 2013 "III Aircraft"
    Most Helpful [Modding] 2012
    Modder of the Year 2012

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (Triangulum @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 02:51)
since the audio system in SA's engine is a complete mess in its present state

It's not, it makes perfect sense after I've learnt more about it - actually, I like it now!

@Oksa
We don't have the tools even, I had to do the stuff manualy, that's why it takes so damn long now! tounge2.gif

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 10:54)

It's not an urgent matter to start begin using it right now, and I'll be releasing standard versions in the meantime anyway for anyone who would want to remain using the current system.

But once this thing is released and it ends up removing some of the present size constraints, I'll go about seeing how I can improve upon what I have. smile.gif

QUOTE (Ash_735 @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 02:15)
you can assign slots to specific weapons, etc, for example, in that video above, you'll notice the Colt and the Python have their own SFX, where as in normal San Andreas they share an SFX which is pitch altered.

Well, actually the gun sound modifications I'm working on already utilize Ryosuke's Weapon Limit Adjuster, which has the same functionality you described for re-assigning sounds (and for customizing pitch). I've made the same changes with it in re-assigning the Desert Eagle sound to be independent of the pistol sound (now shared with the Micro-Uzi/Tec-9 sound), and a few more tweaks including more consistent reverberation settings and the suppressed pistol having its own reverberation sound previously used for SMGs. I believe there's also a similar equivalent for vehicle sounds (Vehicle Audio Loader) made by another modder, but I still haven't tried it yet.

Still, re-assigning sounds alone doesn't solve the issue of glitching with even slightly oversized sound banks, so I I'm looking forward to the release of this.

QUOTE (SilentPL @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 15:28)
QUOTE (Triangulum @ Thursday, Apr 18 2013, 02:51)
since the audio system in SA's engine is a complete mess in its present state

It's not, it makes perfect sense after I've learnt more about it - actually, I like it now!

I'm interested to see what you've been able to do with it, but what I meant by that is that there are a number of problems associated with the way its used currently, including:
  • Exceeding original sizes will cause glitches with other sounds.
  • Audio becoming pitch shifted whenever its source or the camera is moving.
  • Some sounds not being able to loop in a normal fashion (final gear sounds for cars).
  • Some sounds having volume limits regardless of how loud the audio files are (the RPG/missile launch sound).
  • Lots of shared audio (for example, thunderstoms using the same sound as explosions but slowed down or using a lower pitch).

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Anyway, here's a short clip of two sounds I made today for the M4/AK and Country Rifle/Sniper Rifle (M60 shown is a replacement for the country rifle). I might end up using these for the final release version.

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:03 PM

Some reloading sounds:

Ηeath
  • Ηeath

Just Do It.

• Members

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:42 PM

Sounds great! Can't wait for more. Nice work. icon14.gif

Gramps
  • Gramps

★★★★★

• Feroci
  • New-Zealand

Posted 21 April 2013 - 08:04 AM

Can't wait for the vehicle sounds to be showcased inlove.gif

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE (methodunderg @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 08:04)
Can't wait for the vehicle sounds to be showcased  inlove.gif

I'll be putting a demo up soon of the Police car/Infernus sound banks. smile.gif

Those are the only vehicles so far where I've been able to get the final gear sound to loop without any clicks...

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:33 PM

Saw your preview video, and those new sounds are amazing! I just would like to hear a bit better idle-sound as it isn't really matching the roaring of the engine in it's original form.

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:55 AM

QUOTE (oksa8 @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 19:33)
Saw your preview video, and those new sounds are amazing! I just would like to hear a bit better idle-sound as it isn't really matching the roaring of the engine in it's original form.

Yeah, I'll have more appropriate idle/first gear sounds when I release them. I still need to make sure that they would work as traffic sounds without sounding too annoying.

Triangulum
  • Triangulum

Square Civilian

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:15 AM

Here's what I have so far. Still more work needs to be done on making car/bike sounds more consistent. Released today as a beta version:

aStiffSausage
  • aStiffSausage

Formerly Oksu

• Members
  • Finland

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

Can't express that feeling when driving Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 replacing Elegy with your sound mod... Those are some damn epic sounds!

Oh, and did you change weapon sounds since 8.0? They sound really different and better now, or is it just because of WeaponLimitAdjuster?

damiann69
  • damiann69

He he

• Members
  • Poland

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:32 PM Edited by damiann69, 07 May 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Amazing mod, I can feel game more now wink.gif Weapon sounds are perfect, but some cars aren't...
Sound for voodoo group don't fit at all and another bad thing is acceleration of (some) cars (like infernus) is slower than sound. Roar of engine is more powerful than car smile.gif
I know it is beta, I hope you fix it. Good luck, can't wait for next release.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users