How can I change the police car skins?

7 replies to this topic
Tehguy123
  • Tehguy123

Yeah Mr White... yeah science!

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:38 AM

I'm tired of the basic SFPD, LVPD & LSPD skins. I want to make them like their real life counterparts. But I can't find the right file. I used TXDworkshop to open them, but all I can find are the interior and the wheel textures. So how can I possibly change the skins? I know It's easier just to install mods but they cause a drop in the frame-rate, especially when you have a dozen of them chasing you.

RanxeroX
  • RanxeroX

Wielding Many Hats

• Members

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:31 PM

Been ages since I've played/modded SA (don't have it on current machine) but, as I recall, there are no skins per se for the cop cars. I think they used a combination of body colors and logos to get the job done.

I'm pretty sure the logos, if that's what you wanted to change, can be found in one of the .txd files that is shared among many of the vehicles. I think it was called something like 'genericvehicle.txd' or 'sharedvehicle.txd' - one or the other, I'm not sure. It shouldn't be hard to find.

Hope this helps somewhat...

Tehguy123
  • Tehguy123

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 13 April 2013 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (RanxeroX @ Saturday, Apr 13 2013, 12:31)
Been ages since I've played/modded SA (don't have it on current machine) but, as I recall, there are no skins per se for the cop cars. I think they used a combination of body colors and logos to get the job done.

I'm pretty sure the logos, if that's what you wanted to change, can be found in one of the .txd files that is shared among many of the vehicles. I think it was called something like 'genericvehicle.txd' or 'sharedvehicle.txd' - one or the other, I'm not sure. It shouldn't be hard to find.

I already searched in generic, but all it has is the SAPD logo. It doesn't have LSPD, LVPD & SFPD.

Walleye
  • Walleye

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:24 AM

QUOTE (Tehguy123 @ Saturday, Apr 13 2013, 13:57)

I already searched in generic, but all it has is the SAPD logo. It doesn't have LSPD, LVPD & SFPD.

I made this exact edit. The file you want to edit to change the LSPD, SFPD and LVPD text is in Models > Generic > Vehicle.txd. The file inside the txd is called "vehiclepoldecals128". It contains the SAPD emblem, aswell as LSPD, SFPD, LVPD and POLICE text that is used on all the Police cars.

You will need to take into consideration that editing this file will only change the Police cars in single player. For some reason, they still show up as LSPD, SFPD and LVPD in SA:MP.

Tehguy123
  • Tehguy123

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 17 April 2013 - 09:40 AM Edited by Tehguy123, 17 April 2013 - 10:19 AM.

QUOTE (Walleye @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 02:24)
QUOTE (Tehguy123 @ Saturday, Apr 13 2013, 13:57)

I made this exact edit. The file you want to edit to change the LSPD, SFPD and LVPD text is in Models > Generic > Vehicle.txd. The file inside the txd is called "vehiclepoldecals128". It contains the SAPD emblem, aswell as LSPD, SFPD, LVPD and POLICE text that is used on all the Police cars.

You will need to take into consideration that editing this file will only change the Police cars in single player. For some reason, they still show up as LSPD, SFPD and LVPD in SA:MP.

Yes, that is the file I checked, but for some reason it only shows the sapd logo. The lspd, lvpd & sfpd logos don't show:

user posted image

EDIT: Never-mind, I got it. All you have to do is click Mixed view or Alpha/Mask.

EDIT: But I still don't know how to replace the textures. I found the perfect image, but I can't seem to get the resolution right.

Walleye
  • Walleye

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 17 April 2013 - 12:59 PM

Export as PNG, edit it in Photoshop then click import, locate your edited PNG then save TXD.

Tehguy123
  • Tehguy123

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 23 April 2013 - 11:06 AM

QUOTE (Walleye @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 12:59)
Export as PNG, edit it in Photoshop then click import, locate your edited PNG then save TXD.

Do I export it as mixed view or alpha/mask?

Walleye
  • Walleye

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (Tehguy123 @ Tuesday, Apr 23 2013, 11:06)
QUOTE (Walleye @ Wednesday, Apr 17 2013, 12:59)

Do I export it as mixed view or alpha/mask?

Neither. Export from the "IMAGE" tab.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users