мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 26 January 2017 - 12:54 PM Edited by Mister Pink, 26 January 2017 - 12:55 PM.

@AAR: Nice ^^

Found this today. Big sound on this..

• Funktipus likes this

Achlys
  • Achlys

I Can Tell You're Curious, It's Written On Your Lips

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:05 AM

• Mister Pink, AAR and Mukkus like this

Achlys
  • Achlys

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:40 AM

• Mukkus likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011
    Time Traveller Of The Year 1984

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:54 AM

Giving it a mid-week kick up the arse.

Here's a lush track from Hans Peter Ströer and Harry Thumann with the ice-cold vocals being laid by Dagmar Hellberg. It appeared on a compilation released on the Compost label called Elaste Vol. 2 which sounds like a better pressing than the one that turned up on the album itself. Very unusual. The basic idea of this is "once you've f*cked me, f*ck off". I could definitely hear Grace Jones covering this.

• AAR and Achlys like this

AAR
  • AAR

It's important to not give a fock.

• Members
  • Luxembourg

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:54 PM Edited by AAR, 09 March 2017 - 09:41 AM.

One album disco funk band produced, written and performed by the Crown Heights Affair band and the singer Gail Smith. Their "Dyin' To Be Dancin'" is considered an all time post disco-boogie classic. An LP that is quite easy to find as it was pressed and distributed in Europe too. Take a risk and find it for you too (on vinyl ;))

Enjoy the 12 Inch Version

For this one it's another story. This group out of Washington D.C., was famous for just one album, which has become highly sought after on the rare groove scene. The tracks on the LP are all winners IMO, without exception. The only problem is that it seems to not have crossed the north Atlantic ocean after its release. Like many groovy disco and boogie funk projects, they didn't do well or didn't hit the US billboard chars at all. They were most likely played in their local clubs and radio stations but that's all. The great news is that this LP was reissued back in 2006 but also on CD around 2011. In Japan a reissue on CD was released in the mid 90's and in 2008 they released a remastered and Limited Edition on CD with sized paper sleeve album replica. Again these bands are still being sought after, played and remembered by soul, disco and funk collectors and enthusiasts. One thing's for sure... You can't lose with this LP.

• Achlys likes this

Achlys
  • Achlys

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:22 PM

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:51 PM

Some fantastic tracks shared in here lately. Also nice to see some of the 12" versions, because why settle for a shorter song?

Here's one from Sea Level, released in 1978.

• Achlys likes this

Mukkus
  • Mukkus

Rat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 26 March 2017 - 11:52 PM Edited by Mukkus, 27 March 2017 - 11:58 AM.

• Achlys likes this

ShadowPerson
  • ShadowPerson

I´m the beast that descends from shadows.

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 27 March 2017 - 04:08 AM

From the deep depths of the darkest and retarded size of the disco universe... we have this!

• Achlys and Mukkus like this

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 28 March 2017 - 10:21 PM

@AAR: Nice ^^

Found this today. Big sound on this..

Here's another classic from Jimmy 'Bo' Horne:

• Mister Pink and Achlys like this

Achlys
  • Achlys

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 29 March 2017 - 01:54 AM

• Mister Pink and AAR like this

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 06 April 2017 - 10:43 PM

Mmm, just had one of those songs that made me stop what I was doing for a few minutes. This is the B-side to Evelyn "Champagne" King's Shame, which eagle-eared listeners will remember from Fever 105 in VC. The quality isn't brilliant but it's an essential listen if you're even remotely interested in getting into disco.

• Mister Pink, AAR and Achlys like this

AAR
  • AAR

• Members
  • Luxembourg

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:49 PM

Self-titled LP released in 1979. It's Wardell Piper's only album release. It only has 5 tracks but they're all over 6 minutes long. To me, this is by far the best track of the LP. It's worth 2 songs.

• Achlys likes this

Achlys
  • Achlys

• Members
  • Mexico

Posted 08 April 2017 - 05:52 AM Edited by Achlys, 08 April 2017 - 05:54 AM.

• AAR likes this

Blondie
  • Blondie

I know about what you did and I wanna scream the truth.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:05 PM

Unfortunately I don't know a lot of disco bands but I have been interested in listening to disco more lately, I have been listening to Grace Jones, she has three disco albums. Her first three albums, Portfolio, Fame and Muse are nice. I prefer her album Fame though, She has some awesome songs on that album, like Do or Die, Pride and Fame. I wanted to add some songs to my post but unfortunately she hasn't released any video's for any of those songs and YouTube is known for having low quality songs posted by others, but if you would like to listen to them anyway, Spotify will be an alternative option for that. Other than that, I have been listening to Chic and Sister Sledge as well. I will check out some of the songs posted in this topic too. In case someone has suggestions for me, like disco bands, songs or anything, I'd love to hear them.

AAR
  • AAR

• Members
  • Luxembourg

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:07 PM

-snip-

You better keep a good listening ear in this thread if you're interested in discovering or rediscovering disco songs of known and lesser known bands and artists of the 70's and 80's because everyone here shares songs they know, like or discovered. We're no experts here and everyone is welcome to share all styles of disco music in here.

Otherwise there's our friend google or YouTube just to name a few. You won't find every song or video in the web but most of it yes. Another solution is to buy disco compilations CD's and you might be satisfied with the various artists on the playlist.

Have a look inside second hand record shops in your neighborhood, city or country and grab yourself a few disco vinyl LP's and listen to them there. Who knows... you might become a vinyl addict ;)

Again, YouTube might have the songs and videos you're looking for but the quality won't always be the best. It's still better than nothing.

Spoiler

Spoiler

You have mentioned the diva, I thought about the only song I know very well of her. It has that funky rhythm just how I like.

Italo Disco from the 80's

• Funktipus likes this

Blondie
  • Blondie

I know about what you did and I wanna scream the truth.

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:25 PM Edited by Blondie, 10 April 2017 - 08:26 PM.

You better keep a good listening ear in this thread if you're interested in discovering or rediscovering disco songs of known and lesser known bands and artists of the 70's and 80's because everyone here shares songs they know, like or discovered. We're no experts here and everyone is welcome to share all styles of disco music in here. Otherwise there's our friend google or YouTube just to name a few. You won't find every song or video in the web but most of it yes. Another solution is to buy disco compilations CD's and you might be satisfied with the various artists on the playlist. Have a look inside second hand record shops in your neighborhood, city or country and grab yourself a few disco vinyl LP's and listen to them there. Who knows... you might become a vinyl addict ;)

Thank you for the advice, I have been looking in second hand record shops in my area but the vinyl LP's can be very expensive, sometimes they are twenty euro which in my opinion is very expensive because that's the same amount for a brand new vinyl LP at some stores. But I'll definitely keep a good listening ear and I will be going through this topic from time to time to see if I can find something interesting in here. Although, one time I was at a certain second hand record shop and I found Grace Jones her vinyl LP Nightclubbing for just three euro, I don't have a record player yet but it was so cheap that I had to buy it. I brought it to my grandfather and he told me that the LP was in great shape, so that was nice too. :)

• AAR likes this

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:40 PM

Keep an eye on Discogs, you can find almost every release imaginable for sale there. It's not so much a shop as it is a marketplace - stock fluctuates as people buy and sell, with prices changes to reflect demand. It's great for statistics too, showing you accurate release and liner notes when available. It's one of my favourite websites to trawl in search of lesser known gems. The interface can be a bit much to get used to, but all I can suggest is just browse and browse and browse. Have YouTube open in another tab and fall down the rabbit hole.

Whilst I'm here, let's keep this one well known.

• Funktipus, AAR and Achlys like this

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:04 PM

Keep an eye on Discogs, you can find almost every release imaginable for sale there. It's not so much a shop as it is a marketplace - stock fluctuates as people buy and sell, with prices changes to reflect demand. It's great for statistics too, showing you accurate release and liner notes when available. It's one of my favourite websites to trawl in search of lesser known gems. The interface can be a bit much to get used to, but all I can suggest is just browse and browse and browse. Have YouTube open in another tab and fall down the rabbit hole.

Whilst I'm here, let's keep this one well known.

Lady Tee had 10000x more soul than most of today's so-called R&B 'singers'. R.I.P.

• AAR likes this

AAR
  • AAR

• Members
  • Luxembourg

Posted 4 weeks ago

Some underrated disco with that soul glow aka disco-funk.

• Achlys likes this

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 4 weeks ago

-snip-

You better keep a good listening ear in this thread if you're interested in discovering or rediscovering disco songs of known and lesser known bands and artists of the 70's and 80's because everyone here shares songs they know, like or discovered. We're no experts here and everyone is welcome to share all styles of disco music in here.

Otherwise there's our friend google or YouTube just to name a few. You won't find every song or video in the web but most of it yes. Another solution is to buy disco compilations CD's and you might be satisfied with the various artists on the playlist.

Have a look inside second hand record shops in your neighborhood, city or country and grab yourself a few disco vinyl LP's and listen to them there. Who knows... you might become a vinyl addict ;)

Again, YouTube might have the songs and videos you're looking for but the quality won't always be the best. It's still better than nothing.

Spoiler

Spoiler

You have mentioned the diva, I thought about the only song I know very well of her. It has that funky rhythm just how I like.

This was the JAM during the Summer of 1981. IMO, that was one of the best music summers ever, and not just for Disco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnC5zgdr06c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIjLBK_n-74

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l3AQZJ_Trg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vhNRl9N9R4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHj_0t2lPUQ

• AAR likes this

AAR
  • AAR

• Members
  • Luxembourg

Posted 4 weeks ago

This was the JAM during the Summer of 1981. IMO, that was one of the best music summers ever, and not just for Disco.

Spoiler

Spoiler

That's a nice playlist. I know them all except the one from Kraftwerk. I never heard this version of The Magnificent Seven by The Clash. Their triple LP "Sandinista" is one of their Album I played over and over but "London Calling" is the one I play the most. It's hard to find a favorite because they all matter. Unfortunately, Joe Strummer left this world too early. Fortunately his spirit will live on through his music.

• Funktipus likes this

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

Craig
  • Craig

Hostage Stamp

• None
  • Best Writer 2011

Posted 2 weeks ago

Found an absolute gem this week, I had never heard of The Bar Kays before but I'm loving their vibe. Nothing but the 12" will do.

Is this even disco? I don't know and I don't care. If you like disco you'll like this.

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 2 weeks ago

Never heard of the Bar-Kays????????

Donatello
  • Donatello

Anyone for stickball? I've got a stick. You be the ball.

• Members
  • None

Posted 2 weeks ago

• Funktipus, AAR and Achlys like this

Funktipus
  • Funktipus

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted A week ago

Change w/ Luther Vandross;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbIwR6EUmN8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky1XcnJTiFU

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

мистер роз

• The Connection
  • None
  • Best Poster [Music] 2016
    Best Poster [Music] 2015
    Best Poster [Music] 2014
    Most Knowledgeable [Music] 2013
    Best Contributor [Music] 2012

Posted 4 days ago Edited by Mister Pink, 4 days ago.

Nu-Disco but it's pretty good..

• Achlys likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users