Mass stabbing on Texas college campus

254 replies to this topic
The Yokel
  • The Yokel

Boob groper

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:14 PM

@ ultimatelizardman: I don't know what you're trying to achieve, but it's obvious to pretty much everyone on the forum that you're making an idiot out of yourself. For your own sake, stop what you're doing because you clearly have no f*ckin' clue what you're talking about.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

Thou shalt not commit logical fallacies

• United-Kingdom

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (ultimatelizardman @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 18:53)
5. Go back and look at the sources I provided.
If you can't interpret data and/or refuse to acknowledge it's validity, then I can't help you.

If you are unwilling to actually provide cited evidence in the thread to support your argument, I will continue to maintain that your evidence does not support your conclusions. None of the evidence presented in the thread so far by you supports your conclusions, so I feel this a fair assumption unless you can demonstrate it incorrect.

Also, did you not notice the irony of claiming that the entire academic and scientific community is against your views, then accuses everyone who refers to their work as anti-intellectual? Surely the academic and scientific community define intellect, rather than your arbitrary, contrary and rather confusing fluid definitions which generally boil down to anyone other than yourself?

ultimatelizardman
  • ultimatelizardman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:25 PM

Just keep up the parroting and the ad hominems, all it does is show everyone how ignorant. Ill-mannered and bigoted you leftists are.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (ultimatelizardman @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 20:25)
ad hominems

Do you even know what an ad hominem attack is?

QUOTE (A dictionary)
ad hom·i·nem
adverb
1. (of an argument or reaction) Arising from or appealing to the emotions and not reason or logic.
2. Attacking an opponent's motives or character rather than the policy or position they maintain.

Care to explain to me in what way asking you to provide proper citations for your supposed evidence, and pointing out the irony of accusing everyone who disagrees with you of being anti-intellectual when you effectively said that the entire intellectual community were part of a great conspiracy to personally discredit you in the name of pacifism, a term you don't really seem to properly understand, could possibly be perceived as an ad hominem attack?

Claiming I'm ill-mannered, ignorant and bigoted without substantiating it- now that's an ad hominem attack.

ultimatelizardman
  • ultimatelizardman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 07 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 21:27)
ad hominems

QUOTE (A dictionary)
ad hom·i·nem
adverb
1. (of an argument or reaction) Arising from or appealing to the emotions and not reason or logic.
2. Attacking an opponent's motives or character rather than the policy or position they maintain.

Care to explain to me in what way asking you to provide proper citations for your supposed evidence, and pointing out the irony of accusing everyone who disagrees with you of being anti-intellectual when you effectively said that the entire intellectual community were part of a great conspiracy to personally discredit you in the name of pacifism, a term you don't really seem to properly understand, could possibly be perceived as an ad hominem attack?

Claiming I'm ill-mannered, ignorant and bigoted without substantiating it- now that's an ad hominem attack.

That comment was directed towards gtavanga and Melchior.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 07 June 2013 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (ultimatelizardman @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 13:43)
QUOTE (sivispacem @ Thursday, Jun 6 2013, 21:27)
ad hominems

QUOTE (A dictionary)
ad hom·i·nem
adverb

That comment was directed towards gtavanga and Melchior.

The irony of you accusing people of performing ad hominem attacks on you, and then performing one yourself, probably won't escape them.

ultimatelizardman
  • ultimatelizardman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:28 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Friday, Jun 7 2013, 14:35)
The irony of you accusing people of performing ad hominem attacks on you, and then performing one yourself, probably won't escape them.

Standing up to those who want to bully me into submission to their aberrant belief system is "ironic" and/or "hypocritical"?

In all seriousness, are you people taking the piss?

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:40 PM

QUOTE (ultimatelizardman @ Thursday, Jun 13 2013, 19:28)
Standing up to those who want to bully me into submission to their aberrant belief system is "ironic" and/or "hypocritical"?

When you do so by crying foul and accusing them of engaging in ad hominem attacks against you, despite the fact you've spent most of the thread engaging in ad hominem attacks against anyone and everyone whose disagreed with you, no matter how diplomatic they've been, then yes, it's both ironic and hypocritical. Do I have to start dictionary-defining those too?

aberrant

Care to explain to me how you can justify claiming that other people deviate from accepted norms when the only person whose views appear to in this discussion are you own? You've said yourself that the societal views that you oppose so aggressively are accepted norms, so how can you reasonably claim that the views of your detractors are aberrant if you've confessed to aberrance yourself?

In all seriousness, are you people taking the piss?

Clearly, we must be, as it's completely unfathomable that your argument has been savagely and brutally Swiss-cheesed by a combination of your hypocrisy and complete failure to actually present views that make logical sense and can be quantified in any way by actual empirical analysis, isn't it? It's not like you've, for instance, actually addressed any of my rebuttals over the last three or so pages...

ultimatelizardman
  • ultimatelizardman

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

1. You're problem is that the facts I provided are conflicting with your firmly-held set of irrational beliefs. Stop taking your angst-rage out on me.

2. Your views are aberrant, they conflict with natural human survival instincts and with the values of the vast majority of all societies which have existed throughout history.

Melchior
  • Melchior

come on and tell me twice

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Nations

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:23 PM Edited by Melchior, 14 June 2013 - 08:01 PM.

"The vast majority of all societies which have existed throughout history" didn't even have firearms, so I'm not sure what your point is. Further, it's argumentum ad populum: the majority of all societies used slaves, doesn't make it right.

Moreover, I'm not sure what firearms have to do with "human survival instinct" If what you mean by that is, we're naturally inclined to use the best tools possible to defend ourselves and that urge should be legally facilitated, then that's a bit of a slippery slope. By that logic we'd all be jonesing to keep machine guns and grenades in our trunks, uzis concealed under a trenchcoat and hyperdermic needles full of bleach in our back pockets. You're going to have to explain to me how "it's natural!" is an argument for liberal firearm laws. What is so natural about guns?

I also love how you continue to claim that the other side are zealous extremists, apparently with an agenda based around an ideology that is vaguely connected with a massive conspiracy. Quite ironic considering you are the only one in this discussion with an emotional investment in what you're saying, and whose line of reasoning clearly stems from the literature of a radical political movement (the libertarian far-right).

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (ultimatelizardman @ Friday, Jun 14 2013, 16:33)
1. You're problem is that the facts I provided are conflicting with your firmly-held set of irrational beliefs. Stop taking your angst-rage out on me.

No, the issue is that your evidence doesn't support your assertions. You've been given ample opportunity to demonstrate a proper causal relationship between evidence and hypothesis and have steadfastly refused to. Trying to blame my personal beliefs doesn't in any way detract from the fact that your arguments aren't supported by your own evidence or anyone else's no matter how blue in the face you may make yourself repeating so.

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:01 PM

Ah yes, the sound of a person losing an argument but still trying to kick a dead horse in the stomach trying to make everyone, yourself included, think that the horse is not dead. Hoping that everyone will go away and you can claim yourself victorious, fooling yourself and crowning yourself king of the argument, while everyone else just walks away from you as if you were a nut-job.

Love these.

sivispacem
  • sivispacem

• United-Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:22 PM

QUOTE (lt_yao @ Friday, Jun 14 2013, 18:01)
Ah yes, the sound of a person losing an argument but still trying to kick a dead horse in the stomach trying to make everyone, yourself included, think that the horse is not dead. Hoping that everyone will go away and you can claim yourself victorious, fooling yourself and crowning yourself king of the argument, while everyone else just walks away from you as if you were a nut-job.

Love these.

You might want to clarify to whom that was directed. Otherwise ultimatelizardman is liable to think you're supporting his absurd, fallacious argument

lt_yao
  • lt_yao

Satie

• Members

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (sivispacem @ Friday, Jun 14 2013, 22:22)
QUOTE (lt_yao @ Friday, Jun 14 2013, 18:01)

Love these.

You might want to clarify to whom that was directed. Otherwise ultimatelizardman is liable to think you're supporting his absurd, fallacious argument

It is directed to ultimatelizardman, should have indicated that indeed.

Valenta
  • Valenta

True hope is swift.

• Members
  • Scotland

Posted 14 June 2013 - 10:09 PM Edited by Valenta, 14 June 2013 - 10:26 PM.

@ultimatelizardman: For god's sake, just leave this thread. Nothing you've posted makes any sense at all. The only thing you've made clear is that you're too stubborn to realize that you're wrong on almost every point you've made.

@sivispacem: I'd just ignore him if I were you from now on. Not worth your time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users