Photo

Mass stabbing on Texas college campus

254 replies to this topic
HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:24)
QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:19)
QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:57)
There is a big difference between knives and guns, and that's the lethality. No deaths in this example.

That's true, but it could have been worse. Imagine that everyone instead of being stabbed in some random place was stabbed in the neck, cutting the jugular arterie.

I doubt Rambo himself would be capable of that.

Like Sagacious said, the jugular artery is pretty delicate, one cut and you're good to go!

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (gtavpoliceimprovements @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:49)
Some People are sick...

Hey, there are two sides to every story.
I'm sure this guy was just trying to show off his shiny new knife to his friends - waving it around, laughing, that kind of thing.

If a bunch of people get in his way, how can he be held responsible? You can't arrest someone because other people are clumsy.

gtamann123
  • gtamann123

Cuttin the rug down at a place called the Jug

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:04 PM Edited by gtamann123, 09 April 2013 - 09:06 PM.

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:42)
I just don't get it. Why do people bother doing this? They're throwing their lives away, so what's the benefit to them?

inb4 more "I blame violent video games like that horrible Grand Theft Auto game that is poisoning the minds of our youth."

I agree. I don't understand why so many people are willing to throw their lives away by doing stuff like this. Maybe the mass depression that's set in these days is to blame. Like 80% of my school a Dperessed and think they have no future and think they are going to he working at McDs their whole life and living in the ghetto. I guess if that's your attitude and mind set I guess going insane and doing a stupid mass shooting or stabbing seems logical. But idk

Also I'm surprised no one shot the F*cker considering its Texas. Come on people. I thought you Texans were better than that sad.gif still the best state in the union though.

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:06 PM Edited by baguvix_wanrltw, 09 April 2013 - 09:09 PM.

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:46)
As far as why no one intervened sooner, a lot of people seem to assume they're heroes and would lay down their life in an instant to save someone else's, but past that it's possible that these people had no idea how severely others were being attacked.

From what I read in the OP that guy ran up and down the halls. Multiple times. Stabbing someone here, someone there.

You know, when everybody suddenly starts screaming and bodies drop every couple of steps and the floor is bloody it might be time to intervene icon14.gif Especially if its ONE attacker against DOZENS or HUNDREDS of people and all he has is a f*cking knife no bigger than what I clean my nails with daily.

No respect for anyone who claims "I didn't know what to do", "everything was just so crazy so I had to stand there and make a youtube vid" etc., f*ck them.

As for that example with the mexican nut: yeah because a crazy man wielding a 10 inch knife competing with 4 idiot cops* is similar to this boy running around with a 1 inch xacto knife stabbing dozens of people while probably hundreds more just look on and enjoy the show.

*after the 1st one got attacked the attacker should have been dead or at least disabled, props for trying to bring about a peaceful resolution but you can't turn off your brain, instincts AND eyes at the same time as a cop

Oh yeah and because I know someone is gonna say this next: yes I have disarmed people before but I'm no cop. That's one of the benefits of hanging around with violent alcoholics.

And yes it's possible you don't notice you're being stabbed but apparently that guy ran down the f*cking halls ramming his little friend into people. You definitely feel it when someone uses force.

Btw, calling the guy(s) who finally subdued him heroes is just as bad as trying to justify the others' cowardice. Both in the end just lead to more "it's not my problem, I'm no hero" sh*t. It's called courage people, I'm sure you can google it even in 2013.

Secura
  • Secura

Enigmatic Wanderer.

• The Yardies
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Everybody's always so obsessed with the amount of victims, that's what causes mass stabbings, shootings, et cetera. We overplay the scenario, it's almost like we're challenging other criminals to do the same thing.

CallTheCoroner
  • CallTheCoroner

In the land of the skunks, he who has half a nose is king

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

Thank god it wasnt Michael Myers.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • European-Union

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:14 PM

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:37)
QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 13:24)
QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:19)
QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:57)
There is a big difference between knives and guns, and that's the lethality. No deaths in this example.

That's true, but it could have been worse. Imagine that everyone instead of being stabbed in some random place was stabbed in the neck, cutting the jugular arterie.

I doubt Rambo himself would be capable of that.

Umm, why? Knives aren't really that hard to use, and they cause just as much if not more anatomical damage as a bullet if used right.

If being the key word. Who the hell really knows how to use a knife, in terms of using it lethally against another human being, in a really proficient manner? Hardly anyone. It would require extensive pro-longed training. It's not simply a case of "here's how you wield it, and this is where the jugular is. Now go practice on that dummy a few times." Even then it still requires the element of surprise, because if you see a guy coming at you with a knife your first instinct is to run. Or if he gets close enough, to then protect your face and neck. Stabbing someone in the neck is hard enough, but to effectively and accurately sever the jugular, and to do it multiple times? Come on...

... and hit major arteries without even targeting them.

Knives, especially machetes and other large bladed weapons can be lethal. I'm not disputing that. In fact even small bladed weapons can be potentially lethal as well. My point isn't that knives aren't dangerous and don't kill people. My point is it's far far easier to kill someone with a gun than a knife, as well as kill more, and kill more quickly.

but all you need is one nutcase who is really determined to kill with a knife and won't hesitate or relent.

People with knives very rarely kill many people, doesn't matter if it's a butter knife or a katana. People that go on knife rampages tend to just hack and slash wildly, and they don't stand there stabbing each person until they're sure that they're dead. They stab a person once and then keep moving, just like the person in this thread's case. Even in that case from China a few months ago, despite the fact they were kids there weren't any fatalities. Knives don't have the potential to kill like a gun does.

But besides that, watch the video I posted earlier, that guy was facing armed police officers...  If guns are so much more lethal, surely the officers trained to use them should have shot and killed him sooner.

That was one case. The fact that he was supposedly able to kill them was more to do with the fact the officers handled the situation incredibly badly, rather than because of the knife being so dangerous.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:18 PM Edited by lil weasel, 09 April 2013 - 09:24 PM.

QUOTE (baguvix_wanrltw @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 21:06)
You know, when everybody suddenly starts screaming and bodies drop every couple of steps and the floor is bloody it might be time to intervene icon14.gif Especially if its ONE attacker against DOZENS or HUNDREDS of people[...]

The Police don't want anyone interfering with the doings of a criminal. The Police say you should retreat and call 911, take no action or you might be arrested until it's sorted out.
It complicates the crime scene(s) when civilians muddy it by trying to defend themselves or others.
One reason for them not wanting "Stand your ground" and "Castle" laws.

user posted image

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:33 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 21:18)
The Police don't want anyone interfering with the doings of a criminal.

The Police say you should retreat and call 911, take no action or you might be arrested until it's sorted out.
It complicates the crime scene(s) when civilians muddy it by trying to defend themselves or others.
One reason for them not wanting "Stand your ground" and "Castle" laws.

Luckily people know better than to always believe everything the police say. Btw, would you say the same thing if someone attacked your wife/mom/daughter next to you? Calmly get our your phone and dial 911? No? So double standards then? Alrighty.

Just because something makes the cops' job more difficult and might mean you have to tell your story before they let you go doesn't mean you should just stand there and do nothing. Yes someone should call the police but others can intervene directly.

I'm not sure about the laws you're referring to, we don't have those across the pond. But I assume it's one of those "if someone enters your property you can kill him at will" deals. Yeah, I'm not a big fan of those.

I think I'll remove myself from this discussion for now though, this makes me far too mad. I absolutely hate people with this "not my department" attitude. No offense to anyone here, I don't mean you.

TheBlackProject
  • TheBlackProject

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

I am going to this very school's orientation for the 2013-2014 orientation tomorrow, of course I doubt there will be an orientation tomorrow. Here is a picture of the suspect:

http://instagram.com/p/X5AvSGDDHz/

MikeMyth
  • MikeMyth

Livin' It Up At The Hotel California

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:39 PM

A couple years ago, people would be shocked.

It's now at the point that it seems like "Daily News" or something.

Are we going to have to own permits to use steak knives now too?

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 21:14)
Who the hell really knows how to use a knife, in terms of using it lethally against another human being, in a really proficient manner? Hardly anyone. It would require extensive pro-longed training. It's not simply a case of "here's how you wield it, and this is where the jugular is. Now go practice on that dummy a few times." Even then it still requires the element of surprise, because if you see a guy coming at you with a knife your first instinct is to run. Or if he gets close enough, to then protect your face and neck. Stabbing someone in the neck is hard enough, but to effectively and accurately sever the jugular, and to do it multiple times? Come on...

It's more simple than you think. The only possible challenge would be stab someone on the neck, wich isn't hard, because maybe the attacker doesn't have training, but that doesn't mean the attacked does. Once you stab the guy on the neck it's relatively hard not to cut the jugular.

user posted image

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:53 PM

QUOTE (baguvix_wanrltw @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 14:06)
QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:46)
As far as why no one intervened sooner, a lot of people seem to assume they're heroes and would lay down their life in an instant to save someone else's, but past that it's possible that these people had no idea how severely others were being attacked.

From what I read in the OP that guy ran up and down the halls. Multiple times. Stabbing someone here, someone there.

You know, when everybody suddenly starts screaming and bodies drop every couple of steps and the floor is bloody it might be time to intervene icon14.gif Especially if its ONE attacker against DOZENS or HUNDREDS of people and all he has is a f*cking knife no bigger than what I clean my nails with daily.

No respect for anyone who claims "I didn't know what to do", "everything was just so crazy so I had to stand there and make a youtube vid" etc., f*ck them.

As for that example with the mexican nut: yeah because a crazy man wielding a 10 inch knife competing with 4 idiot cops* is similar to this boy running around with a 1 inch xacto knife stabbing dozens of people while probably hundreds more just look on and enjoy the show.

*after the 1st one got attacked the attacker should have been dead or at least disabled, props for trying to bring about a peaceful resolution but you can't turn off your brain, instincts AND eyes at the same time as a cop

Oh yeah and because I know someone is gonna say this next: yes I have disarmed people before but I'm no cop. That's one of the benefits of hanging around with violent alcoholics.

And yes it's possible you don't notice you're being stabbed but apparently that guy ran down the f*cking halls ramming his little friend into people. You definitely feel it when someone uses force.

Btw, calling the guy(s) who finally subdued him heroes is just as bad as trying to justify the others' cowardice. Both in the end just lead to more "it's not my problem, I'm no hero" sh*t. It's called courage people, I'm sure you can google it even in 2013.

I don't think it's that clear cut. Even once a person has been able to get a clue as to what's going on--which will take a while for different people of different experience and character--they will still have to choose how to react. I don't really blame anyone for not wanting to intervene, and I think it's just stupid for people to say, "Oh I would totally attack this guy so he wouldn't kill anyone else," when they don't really have any experience to say that. You hang around with violent alcoholics? So what, that means you're use to bar fights or something? How many times has a guy been terrorizing helpless and scared people in a bar and you jumped in like a knight in white Armour to save them? Hey I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it's just not all people have that in them. I think especially in today's society where everyone is taught not to let others be a liability to them. "Don't pick up hitch hikers, they might kill you. Don't give money to bums, they're just using you." Etc, people tend to not want to help others for a lot less detrimental situations than this.

@GTA_Stu

It's just really not as specialized and difficult as you're making it out to be. I know this from experience with boxing and karate. Landing a successful blow is much easier than defending against one. Add a knife into this equation and it becomes a very lethal dynamic. Given only a slight amount of knowledge of where to target a knife and a little idea of how people will react when being attacked, knives become pretty darn lethal. Human history attests to this, and modern times as well when you look at the rate of criminals killing each other with knives, prison violence, gang conflicts, etc.

This is a sh*tty analogy but... Think of it like comparing the gas/electric lawn mower to the manual push-mower. Both cut the grass a lot better than other means, but you still have to do all the work with the manual powered mower.

Xylophobia
  • Xylophobia

To be accepted in the community you have to be blind

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

I swear these kind of things can happen only in US.

IM_YOUR_GOD
  • IM_YOUR_GOD

Christian Zionist Rank 9

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:06 PM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 23:04)

http://www.huffingto..._n_2331659.html

Ahemm.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 16:04)

Considering that the U.S.A. has one of the lowest murder rates within the Americas (only Canada is significantly "safer"), not really.

I'm not quite sure about violent crime rates in general though.

Xylophobia
  • Xylophobia

To be accepted in the community you have to be blind

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (IM_YOUR_GOD @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 22:06)

Ahemm.

Ermm, find me more. One article doesn't prove anything.

IM_YOUR_GOD
  • IM_YOUR_GOD

Christian Zionist Rank 9

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 23:10)
QUOTE (IM_YOUR_GOD @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 22:06)

Ahemm.

Ermm, find me more. One article doesn't prove anything.

http://abcnews.go.co...id=80964&page=1

Could do this all day turn.gif

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 22:10)
Ermm, find me more. Two articles doesn't prove anything.

England:
6 a week

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 10:48 PM

Nothing to blame but the people. It's people's stupidity. That's the reason things like this happen.

Lil ski
  • Lil ski

Hawai'i 5-O

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

So they gonna ban knives now? No more steak night at Applebee's lol.gif

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:50 PM

Damn, that's crazy. Just 200 miles west of me.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:56 PM

QUOTE (Lil ski @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 23:46)
So they gonna ban knives now? No more steak night at Applebee's lol.gif

they'll be required to either cut the steak to bite size pieces or chain the knife to the table like a bank pen.

Of course they will also be required to have serial numbers and be registered and the user will have a valid license after attending 24 hours of state approved training.

CygnusX1
  • CygnusX1

̿' ̿'\̵͇̿̿\

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:10 AM

linky link

this is how the world ends

Thunderfuckrapist
  • Thunderfuckrapist

Turdler Durpden

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 07:07)
Everybody's always so obsessed with the amount of victims, that's what causes mass stabbings, shootings, et cetera. We overplay the scenario, it's almost like we're challenging other criminals to do the same thing.

Yeah really. Its the fact that Americans holds these people up like celebrities that this sh*t keeps happening.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:00 AM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 22:04)

It happens everywhere, but the thing is it gets extremely broadcasted in US.

Typhus
  • Typhus

OG

• $outh $ide Hoodz

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:05 AM

QUOTE (OnePiece @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 00:29)
QUOTE (Lightning Strike @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 07:07)

Yeah really. Its the fact that Americans holds these people up like celebrities that this sh*t keeps happening.

No, the reason it keeps happening is the limited availability of prostitutes.
It cannot have escaped your notice that a majority of these killers are white, asocial males who never had a date in their life? Not only do they grow up being bullied, but they are denied the opportunity to have sex and so sate their blossoming sexual urges.
I am convinced that this is the root cause of their violence.

A hyper-sexualised society and a fringe of loners and oddballs who can't get any. It all adds up.
Trust me, if sex was available to everyone and everyone could have sex legally and safely, this sort of nonsense would barley happen.

Humans are either led by the brain or the libido, you can't nurture one and ignore the other.

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Members
  • Mars

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 13:29)
The Pro-gun advocates sure as hell will have a field day on this one, "Crazy libs want to ban guns? knives are equally as bad! We've got mass-stabbings now. Gonna ban 'm to?!"

huh??

this incident plays right into the hands of "crazy libs" because now they can point out the difference between guns and non-guns.
the difference being that no one died.

this is exactly the point that anti-gun activists were trying to make: it's much easier to kill people with a gun than without.
if you restrict the number of guns in circulation, less people will die.

this is the kind of incident that gun control activists would like to see more of wink.gif

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:14 AM

QUOTE (El_Diablo @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:09)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 13:29)
The Pro-gun advocates sure as hell will have a field day on this one, "Crazy libs want to ban guns? knives are equally as bad! We've got mass-stabbings now. Gonna ban 'm to?!"

huh??

this incident plays right into the hands of "crazy libs" because now they can point out the difference between guns and non-guns.
the difference being that no one died.

this is exactly the point that anti-gun activists were trying to make: it's much easier to kill people with a gun than without.
if you restrict the number of guns in circulation, less people will die.

this is the kind of incident that gun control activists would like to see more of wink.gif

Yeah, but wouldn't it be a little silly to make such a comparison to knives when what was used was hardly a "knife"?

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:40 AM

QUOTE (CygnusX1 @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 00:10)
linky link

this is how the world ends

What-the-freakingf*ckingf*ck?
They should ban hammers, saws, TVs, toothbrushes, nail clippers...
"Hey, hurr durr, someone died by swallowing too much steak in one bite! Hurr durr! We should ban eating!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users