254 replies to this topic
Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:29 PM Edited by Raavi, 09 April 2013 - 07:37 PM.

As many as 15 people have been injured in a mass stabbing today after a lone man reportedly ran amok at a Texan community college - running up and down hallways randomly knifing students.
Sheriff's deputies responded to 911 calls at just after 11 a.m. saying there was a suspect with a knife at the Lone Star college campus which is in the northwest of Houston.
The length of the attack is unclear, but the suspect was reportedly taken down by a heroic student - but not before at least 12 people were rushed to hospital, including four people who were taken by helicopter - two of whom are in a critical condition.

Read more: http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2Pzp4PEIm

The Pro-gun advocates sure as hell will have a field day on this one, "Crazy libs want to ban guns? knives are equally as bad! We've got mass-stabbings now. Gonna ban 'm to?!"

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Jesus christ people need help these days dozingoff.gif

What a shame, you can't even go to school without being scared of being stabbed or shot buy a gun. I thought I had it bad over here.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

In my heaven, there are no gods.

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:35 PM

Society is messed up.
What really bugs me is that this is normal now.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:39 PM

QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:32)
What a shame, you can't even go to school without being scared of being stabbed or shot [with] a gun.

The nice thing about when a crook has/buys a gun is it makes noise that alerts people. Being knifed is like being punched, victims sometimes don't even know they have been shived.

baguvix_wanrltw
  • baguvix_wanrltw

Cynical, yeah. Bitter, probably.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:40 PM

Um, so people just stood there and watched as that little piece of sh*t knifed others who were standing right next to them? Always interesting to see. Why the f*ck didn't anyone knock him out sooner? Especially if there were dozens of students against this clown. Wtf? Gutless assholes. Of course the attacker was worse but this still pisses me off immensely. At least one of the guys found his balls sooner or later.

WhatsStrength
  • WhatsStrength

Big Homie

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

I just don't get it. Why do people bother doing this? They're throwing their lives away, so what's the benefit to them?

inb4 more "I blame violent video games like that horrible Grand Theft Auto game that is poisoning the minds of our youth."

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

Bei mir laufen die Geschäfte wie in Southpark Mister Hankey

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:42 PM

And I thought stabbing was only a Berlin thing. mercie_blink.gif

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:43 PM

This is a proof guns have nothing to do with mass killings. Any psycho in society has acces to a knife, saw or sharp/dangerous object. Guns aren't the problem, society is the problem.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (baguvix_wanrltw @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:40)
Um, so people just stood there and watched as that little piece of sh*t knifed others who were standing right next to them? Always interesting to see. Why the f*ck didn't anyone knock him out sooner? Especially if there were dozens of students against this clown. Wtf? Gutless assholes. Of course the attacker was worse but this still pisses me off immensely. At least one of the guys found his balls sooner or later.

I agree. Of course you don't no how one is gonna react in an emergency situation and everything happens within second, but I still would have at least tried to knock the f*ckbag out sooner. So he couldn't wound 15, 15 people for christ sake!

This might reinvigorate the gun-control debate all over again but this time in favor of the Pro-gun argument. Because it turns out mass-stabbings are equally if not more dangerous. And if there was an armed security the guard this wouldn't have happened.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 12:29)
The Pro-gun advocates sure as hell will have a field day on this one, "Crazy libs want to ban guns? knives are equally as bad! We've got mass-stabbings now. Gonna ban 'm to?!"

You act as if your mockery invalidates the point.

Also, as lil weasel pointed out a lot of people don't realize they've been stabbed, and that's true for people witnessing someone being stabbed. As far as why no one intervened sooner, a lot of people seem to assume they're heroes and would lay down their life in an instant to save someone else's, but past that it's possible that these people had no idea how severely others were being attacked.

Sgt. Foley
  • Sgt. Foley

Big Homie

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:46 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 15:39)
QUOTE (Sgt. Foley @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:32)
What a shame, you can't even go to school without being scared of being stabbed or shot [with] a gun.

The nice thing about when a crook has/buys a gun is it makes noise that alerts people. Being knifed is like being punched, victims sometimes don't even know they have been shived.

This.

I agree with this 100%. There is no way you can tell when you're going to be stabbed. Unless you see who's going to do it...

Whiskey
  • Whiskey

Homie

• The Connection

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Reports say it was a assault knife with a high-capacity grip...

Maybe if someone had a gun they could of stopped it instead of having to wait in complete terror until the police arrived. Being stabbed is a lot lot worse than being shot.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:46)

Also, as lil weasel pointed out a lot of people don't realize they've been stabbed, and that's true for people witnessing someone being stabbed. As far as why no one intervened sooner, a lot of people seem to assume they're heroes and would lay down their life in an instant to save someone else's, but past that it's possible that these people had no idea how severely others were being attacked.

To be honest this makes me rethink and possibly revise my stance on gun-control seeing a real-life example that knives are equally if not much more threatening.

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Some People are sick...

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:50 PM

Watch as the media tries to sweep this under the rug just like the stabbing in China or the recent case where an armed guard stopped an armed student almost immediately (I believe this was also in Texas).

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (Whiskey @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:49)
Reports say it was a assault knife with a high-capacity grip...

Maybe if someone had a gun they could of stopped it instead of having to wait in complete terror until the police arrived. Being stabbed is a lot lot worse than being shot.

Something likes this an X-Acto knife

user posted image

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:57 PM

There is a big difference between knives and guns, and that's the lethality. No deaths in this example.

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:59 PM Edited by SagaciousKJB, 09 April 2013 - 08:03 PM.

QUOTE (Raavi @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 12:49)
QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:46)

To be honest this makes me rethink and possibly revise my stance on gun-control seeing a real-life example that knives are equally if not much more threatening.

Ahh well sounded a little rhetorical to me lol

But yeah once you see a real-life example of knife attack danger versus just what people speculate they're capable of it puts a lot of things into perspective. Guns are ruthlessly efficient killing machines for sure, but people forget we had been killing each other en mass with bladed weapons long before the firearm or any sort of projectile weapon.

Plus phrases like "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight" make people assume that the knife is hopelessly obsoleted in terms of being a very lethal weapon... But if you want to see a truly stunning real-world example of how lethal a knife is and how quickly watch this...

There are several different versions of this available, some longer, and with contradicting reports on if the officers died. This video says 3 were injured, a friend of mine who is in the Mexican defense forces ( don't ask me specifically which branch I don't know ) says when they showed this video in training they claimed all 4 of the officers attacked died.

Either way it shows you how effective just a guy with a knife can be against several armed men. In fact, the first officer to be slashed can be seen with an AK 47 in his hand as he jumps the fence.

Edit

@GTA_Stu

There are two in critical condition. Meanwhile, does it somehow not matter if the person didn't die from the attack? You're still talking about a lot of physical trauma, scars and healing, not to mention the psychological trauma this could cause.

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

And as long as the media keeps giving these psychos attention they want, they'll keep doing things like this. I'm willing to bet that this guy used a knife because he wanted to be more than a gun wielding psycho. He wanted to be unique. It's Texas people. Get real. If he wanted to use a gun he could get one.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:04 PM

People have more personal fear of edged weapons than guns.

Take 9/11 for an example:
"Oh Please, do what you want, just don't CUT ME!"

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (GTAvanja @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 13:02)
And as long as the media keeps giving these psychos attention they want, they'll keep doing things like this. I'm willing to bet that this guy used a knife because he wanted to be more than a gun wielding psycho. He wanted to be unique. It's Texas people. Get real. If he wanted to use a gun he could get one.

I don't know, I'm sure a steak knife is pretty easy to find in Texas too and would have been far more lethal. The fact that this guy chose to do this with an X-acto knife makes me think it was a totally unplanned rage incident, or he was just trying to make a "cry for help" or both.

In terms of lethality debates... Two are in critical condition from what is a less than 1" blade.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:11 PM Edited by GTA_stu, 09 April 2013 - 08:18 PM.

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:04)
Take 9/11 for an example:
"Oh Please, do what you want, just don't CUT ME!"

Are you referring to the hijackers on the planes? You're overlooking the fact they also had "bombs", they weren't real but the passengers thought they were. Up to that point the procedure was to comply with hijackers, why would they fight back when they expected to land on the tarmac and just wait for the negotiators to deal with it until they could safely leave? If they fought back then they expected to be blown up.

@Sagacious

Of course it's still bad. But at least nobody has died, so far. 1 death is far worse than 15 injured. Knives can do damage, a lot of damage. But guns do so much more.

DarthShinobi
  • DarthShinobi

The fall is FAST and STEEP

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

Watch them blame Infinity Blade. colgate.gif

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:15 PM

I seem to remember: "Tis not as wide as a River, nor as deep as a Well, but it will serve."

This whole thing is most likely a set-up for recent decision of allowing blades on planes. One of the anti-rule change people was waving an Exact-o around during a press comment.

HUGOHL
  • HUGOHL

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:57)
There is a big difference between knives and guns, and that's the lethality. No deaths in this example.

That's true, but it could have been worse. Imagine that everyone instead of being stabbed in some random place was stabbed in the neck, cutting the jugular arterie. If I had to die choosing one of the two ways, I'd prefer to be shot in the head than having a slow, painful death.

stu
  • stu

I drink it up

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • United-Kingdom
  • Funniest Member 2013
    Funniest Member 2012

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:19)

That's true, but it could have been worse. Imagine that everyone instead of being stabbed in some random place was stabbed in the neck, cutting the jugular arterie.

I doubt Rambo himself would be capable of that.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

Ah who poured petrol on the weapon debate fire. We almost had it under control.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

QUOTE (SagaciousKJB @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:07)
I don't know, I'm sure a steak knife is pretty easy to find in Texas too and would have been far more lethal.

Flatware/stake knife makes lousy weapons. The problem is Flesh is harder to pierce than many people think. When struck the blade 'resists' entry and the knifer's hand tends to slide down and be cut by the blade. A giveaway to the cops as to the 'who-done-it'.

One reason we have the tableware we do now is the realization that the olde dirk was too dangerous in 'polite society' dinner arguments.

TextureData
  • TextureData

RIP Borat! 15-04-2013

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

QUOTE (whatsstrength @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013)
I just don't get it. Why do people bother doing this? They're throwing their lives away, so what's the benefit to them?

inb4 more "I blame violent video games like that horrible Grand Theft Auto game that is poisoning the minds of our youth."

icon14.gif

Today it's two years ago that there was a shooting in a mall in The Netherlands.
And I also read today that there was a shooting in Serbia?

There has always been a problem with weapons in America, and certainly in schools.
All those f*cked up kids are shooting their classmates dead.
What is their purpose? They can just commit suicide?

SagaciousKJB
  • SagaciousKJB

Captain tl;dr

• The Connection

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:37 PM

QUOTE (GTA_stu @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 13:24)
QUOTE (HUGOHL @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:19)

That's true, but it could have been worse. Imagine that everyone instead of being stabbed in some random place was stabbed in the neck, cutting the jugular arterie.

I doubt Rambo himself would be capable of that.

Umm, why? Knives aren't really that hard to use, and they cause just as much if not more anatomical damage as a bullet if used right. I'm sure you can find plenty of pictures of gang members with stitches on their face from small razors and box cutters to suggest that some untrained person cutting your jugular wouldn't be too hard with an X-acto knife. If someone can cut open another's jaw with the razor from a box cutter ( no handle ), then I'm sure targeting the jugular with what is basically a scalpel wouldn't be much more difficult.

Meanwhile, you can say guns are much more lethal but what kind of knives are we really comparing them to... Comparing a gun to an X-acto knife is kind of like comparing a .45 ACP to a pellet gun. Had this guy grabbed a butcher knife from the block, or whats more invested $12 at WalMart for a machete, he could have done just as much damage anatomically speaking. In countries where gang members carry machetes, they often times sever arms, decapitate each other, and hit major arteries without even targeting them.

The real difference is with a gun you can point and pull and all the damage happens instantly. With a bladed weapon you have to do all that damage yourself. I'd say they're more lethal in practical terms since more people are going to be able to inflict that kind of harm on other humans with firearms, but all you need is one nutcase who is really determined to kill with a knife and won't hesitate or relent.

But besides that, watch the video I posted earlier, that guy was facing armed police officers... If guns are so much more lethal, surely the officers trained to use them should have shot and killed him sooner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users