Photo

Map Size Thread

8,295 replies to this topic
lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:26 AM Edited by lxr, 11 September 2013 - 08:33 AM.

This is the scale using Magic_Als scale, but it seems like LC is WAAY to small. Can someone check me on this

Here is a map of Liberty City at 1 meter per px.

The map of Los Santos has about 77 px per 1,000 ft (= 304.8 m).

1,983 (map width in px) / 77 * 304.8 = 7,850 (map width in meters).

So what you see below is the correct overlay, at 5 meters per px.

Also see here for 1 square km in both games.

yHroGt0.jpg

matyyy0
  • matyyy0

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:36 AM

not sure how we can be comparing map sizes from a photo taken from a mobile phone... anyway at first i thought hmm city looks tiny and the country looks too big - however you just have to look at screenshots of the the city and compare them to what you see in GTAIV to understand that the city area of the map on GTAV will be at least as big as GTAIV - Having said that if I am wrong it will be interesting to see what little settlements they have included around the country.

MayDay84
  • MayDay84

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:40 AM

not sure how we can be comparing map sizes from a photo taken from a mobile phone... anyway at first i thought hmm city looks tiny and the country looks too big - however you just have to look at screenshots of the the city and compare them to what you see in GTAIV to understand that the city area of the map on GTAV will be at least as big as GTAIV - Having said that if I am wrong it will be interesting to see what little settlements they have included around the country.

You have the SCALE there in the GTA V map, that's how you compare! And ofcourse you have to know the scale of the compared map also.. but with this it's quite easy to compare to real world using GMaps.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

What happens if the in-game stats don't perfectly match the legend in the Brady Games guide? ;)

Bret_HartvsSting
  • Bret_HartvsSting

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

I've seen completely different scales when people have compared San Andreas to GTA V map, and I was wondering if someone could drive a car or fly a plane from the bottom of the map to the top, and then check the stats to see how many miles or kilometres have been travelled.  That way we could have a realistic comparison?

lxr
  • lxr

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [Mapping Los Santos]

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:14 AM Edited by lxr, 16 September 2013 - 11:15 AM.

I've seen completely different scales when people have compared San Andreas to GTA V map, and I was wondering if someone could drive a car or fly a plane from the bottom of the map to the top, and then check the stats to see how many miles or kilometres have been travelled.  That way we could have a realistic comparison?

That would not be very precise, and it's really unneeded. The GTA SA map size is known, and the GTA V map has a scale. See below for an accurate comparison at 10 meters per pixel.

0HmwkkD.jpg

TaazR
  • TaazR

Interiors & Parkour

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:18 AM

That would not be very precise, and it's really unneeded. The GTA SA map size is known, and the GTA V map has a scale. See below for an accurate comparison at 10 meters per pixel.

0HmwkkD.jpg

Exactly, it was obvious they were bullsh*tting about it being bigger than RDR x5 or even San Andreas + GTA IV + RDR

HOAXi
  • HOAXi

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:20 AM

-image-

So if that's correct, Rockstar had bad intentions and directly lied to us? Is that what you're saying?

NotYourAverageDrPhil
  • NotYourAverageDrPhil

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

I think they included the explorable ocean in that figure

0HmwkkD.jpg

Exactly, it was obvious they were bullsh*tting about it being bigger than RDR x5 or even San Andreas + GTA IV + RDR

I think they included the ocean, at least the explorable part, in that figure. It's still kind of dishonest though. They should have just said: "The island is X square miles. The explorable part of the ocean is Y square miles. The island + the explorable part of the ocean is bigger than the other games combined."

Chrome_Adderz
  • Chrome_Adderz

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

Totally off, IMO.

S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT
  • S0UTHERN_C0MF0RT

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

IGN did a comparison of Los Santos to real-life cities: http://www.ign.com/a...tual-city-sizes

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 11:33 AM Edited by GTAaLEX117, 16 September 2013 - 11:33 AM.

Including the underwater...

The Dark Passenger
  • The Dark Passenger

Bay Harbor Butcher

• Members

Posted 16 September 2013 - 12:58 PM

LC was almost the same size as SA, and LS is around the same size as LC. Therefore the whole map is at least 3x SA.

HamSandwich
  • HamSandwich

HamSandwich

• Members
  • None

Posted 19 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

9/19/2013 The game is out! and.............not as big as the hype!

Dissapointment dispare i want it to be a bad dream.... driving mechanics make the big map feel like its going by so fast takes less time to drive across than GTA4 ROFL!!

OMG did we just get pwned by rockstar games?

All this good mounteness terrain and i dont even feel like exploring it it feels so occward

Unplayable without a pach to fix this       

so sad

DoubleOGJohnson
  • DoubleOGJohnson

Playa

• Members

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:06 PM Edited by DoubleOGJohnson, 27 September 2013 - 03:10 PM.

Threads like these kind of show you how delusional fanboys are in comparison to "normal" fans and why you should never listen to fanboys before any GTA game comes out. Their hyperbolic statements and exaggerations are actually the reason other people feel letdown when games come out. I told folks before, DO NOT LISTEN TO ROCKSTAR DEFENSE FORCE FANBOYS, LISTEN TO THE  FANS WITH A CRITICAL EYE. the same thing will happen before GTA 6 comes out. The fanboys will exaggerate how big the map is like they did before GTA 4 and GTA 5 and it never ends after they have been wrong time and time again.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

0HmwkkD.jpg

Yes, yes, of course they've been exaggerating. That's what you get when you kiss the ass f what R* tends to  say. :angry:

I'm still satisfied with the map, tho.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:38 PM Edited by Magic_Al, 29 September 2013 - 09:14 PM.

Final comparison with clean copy of map

9719249342_3b7675001a_o.jpg

MyDog
  • MyDog

Niko Bellic's my burazer

• Members
  • Serbia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:45 PM

To be honest I'm a little disappointed with the map. I mean, this is GTA, not Skyrim. Focus should be on the urban area, not the countryside. I'm sure it's awesome to explore the wilderness and climb mountains and whatnot but then it turns into a RPG and GTA is not supposed to be a RPG.

sf15
  • sf15

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:22 PM

I'm struggling to see how this map is bigger than San Andreas, nevermind that plus RDR and GTA IV.

San Andreas just felt so much bigger... lots of different towns, 3 big cities etc... Even though GTA V is a lot more detailed, it feels 'emptier' than San Andreas for me.

• Ferocious Banger likes this

KillaDanny
  • KillaDanny

Lone Wolf

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:45 PM Edited by KillaDanny, 29 September 2013 - 10:47 PM.

I'm struggling to see how this map is bigger than San Andreas, nevermind that plus RDR and GTA IV.

San Andreas just felt so much bigger... lots of different towns, 3 big cities etc... Even though GTA V is a lot more detailed, it feels 'emptier' than San Andreas for me.

It is bigger and feels like it (dunno about combining that with RDR and IV but if you include underwater ,which is very detailed btw, than yeah it's bigger than those 3 combined) The map has a lot of variety and diffrent places to go and there's a road that basically rounds up the entire map like a circle and I've drove down that rode with a very fast car and still took ages to reach the other end so I dunno how SA felt bigger for you... may be the fact that there are 3 towns (before I played GTA V I thought that it was impossible for the map to be 2x bigger than SA) but it kinda just gave the ilusion it was bigger since the towns were smaller and there wasn't really a lot of terrain

oCrapaCreeper
  • oCrapaCreeper

Hustler

• Members

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:52 PM Edited by oCrapaCreeper, 29 September 2013 - 10:56 PM.

It only felt bigger because of the crappy draw distance. Install the x10 draw distance mod, and the map actually feels pretty small. It can pretty much fit inside Blaine County.

• GTAKid667 likes this

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

A bump:

The city of Los Santos, to me, sacrifices almost everything of that aspect of LA - the sprawl. This renders the city to feel extremely unrealistic. The city seems rather big when viewed from the Observatory at night ( you know, the fake lights and all ). The city needed more "dead" areas...to feel like a city; to feel like LA.

I just can't buy this map to be a "state" in itself. SA was great for it's time - it still is. It is helped greatly by its poor draw distance. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about GTAV.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Bump?

cldd
  • cldd

Prankster

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:22 PM

A bump:

The city of Los Santos, to me, sacrifices almost everything of that aspect of LA - the sprawl. This renders the city to feel extremely unrealistic. The city seems rather big when viewed from the Observatory at night ( you know, the fake lights and all ). The city needed more "dead" areas...to feel like a city; to feel like LA.

I just can't buy this map to be a "state" in itself. SA was great for it's time - it still is. It is helped greatly by its poor draw distance. Unfortunately, the same can't be said about GTAV.

Rockstar clearly stated Los Santos and the surrounding hills, beaches, and countryside. That's exactly what we got. They never once said it is the entire state. 

• stjimmy3 likes this

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:23 PM

"San Andreas" is a state. This is a reimagined SA/California.

Well, the city in itself isn't large either.

Proletariat
  • Proletariat

Vice City ain't a Nice City

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

No, in the official gameplay video, Rockstar stated, "Modern reimagining of Southern California". Reimanging doesn't mean duplicate copy of the actual thing. R* delivered on what they said. They simply could not fulfill everybody's expectations. 

United_Stealth
  • United_Stealth

Scooter brother

• Members

Posted 31 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Los santos is in the state of san andreas.

But for console/time/whatever limitations they could make it as big as it 'should' be. 

(Bigger, with LS and SF, etc.)

TheTruthOnly
  • TheTruthOnly

Thug

• Members
  • Unknown

Posted 01 January 2014 - 01:15 PM

A bump:

Fake lights? Every little dot you see at night it's an actual light coming from lamp posts, traffic lights etc

Yes, that makes city look really big, but it's not just a illusion, it's really big. LS is about the size of whole old SA map.

Yes, SA was great for it's time, but now compared to V it's sh*tty as f*ck.

esato
  • esato

Hustler

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 01 January 2014 - 03:25 PM Edited by esato, 02 January 2014 - 03:47 PM.

A bump:

Fake lights? Every little dot you see at night it's an actual light coming from lamp posts, traffic lights etc

Yes, that makes city look really big, but it's not just a illusion, it's really big. LS is about the size of whole old SA map.

Yes, SA was great for it's time, but now compared to V it's sh*tty as f*ck.

Sorry... but you wrong.

Are too many fake lights, especially the car lights.

Try to stand at one mountain close to a freeway and use you sniper rifle to fit in one far car light and then... zoom it in, the light will disappear... but when you zoom out... the light will come back. it's just a fake light.

• Ferocious Banger likes this

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 01 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

^What he said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users