Map Size Thread

8,295 replies to this topic
Distrom
  • Distrom

Massimo Pantaleo

• Members
  • Venezuela

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:59 AM

Judging the size of the tennis courts from one game to another would give the same result as comparing the size of the highway. Either both ways are right or both are wrong.

vraoft.jpg

Sorry, your scale is completly off.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

So, thoughts on this. V's map is apparently 49 sq miles. That's roughly 20-25 sq miles bigger than expected.

http://www.scotsman....sales-1-3081943

Not possible, not a single map estimate or calculation comes close! What a weird number.. Where did that come from? The writer of the article just pops it in casually haha.

This is the quote: "The new game revolves around a satirical recreation of southern California. With players able to switch between three protagonists, the 49-square-mile world boasts a welter of activities, such as scuba diving with sharks and hijacking trains."

I hate people like you who don't want to believe. :whuh:

• Smaher. likes this

Occultan
  • Occultan

~~Chemtrail-Inhaler~~

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:02 AM

What if the scale for the map we have seen soo far is nothing like previous games, the road we see are BIG main roads and theres thousands of little streets inbetween them.  I would atleast think so. 

• Distrom likes this

caligula87
  • caligula87

SEXIEST MEMBER ALIVE

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:04 AM

In the words of Dan Houser: "This world (Red Dead Redemption) is two times larger than the one presented in GTA: San Andreas (14 square miles)."

Is Dan Houser a liar?

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:09 AM

In the words of Dan Houser: "This world (Red Dead Redemption) is two times larger than the one presented in GTA: San Andreas (14 square miles)."

Is Dan Houser a liar?

Yes. Remember the property shenanigans? :monocle:

gonnaenodaethat
  • gonnaenodaethat

Yellow Car!!!

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:10 AM

Is Dan Houser a liar?

Yes but he's already got my forty quid

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

Resident Actor, Dancer, and Singer

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

Is Dan Houser a liar?

I don't think you know what "lying" is.

Kingification
  • Kingification

Somebody told me - when I went to Nashville...

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:14 AM

Is Dan Houser a liar?

I don't see what you're getting at, that Red Dead Redemption is two-times the size of San Andreas?

Anyway, i'm skeptical, but if the map is indeed 49 sq. miles, that makes me incredibly happy.

AlasClarin
  • AlasClarin

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:17 AM

Sure, the scale of both cities looks the same but I think that GTA V will have so much more details.

Are you blind? LS is bigger.

Kingification
  • Kingification

Somebody told me - when I went to Nashville...

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:20 AM Edited by Kingification, 08 September 2013 - 02:22 AM.

I'm confused - is the general consensus that GTA V is indeed 49 sq. miles?

I mean, it would add up, considering R* have said it's bigger than RDR (28), San Andreas (14) and IV (unsure) combined.

Sting4S
  • Sting4S

♢ Corverra ♢

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:37 AM Edited by StingrayX, 08 September 2013 - 02:38 AM.

Judging the size of the tennis courts from one game to another would give the same result as comparing the size of the highway. Either both ways are right or both are wrong.

vraoft.jpg

:lol: Oh my god I almost died! This had me rolling so bad I started crying! Anyways your scale is just awful. You're completely oblivious to the fact that blocks in Los Santos are about the size of 4 blocks in Liberty City. Just like in real life, New York has blocks that are much smaller than Los Angeles Blocks. The Los Santos Country Club is about the size of Colony Island, probably more. Fix your scale, bud. ;) Shouldn't cause someone to fall down laughing.

• ComradVladimir likes this

Gtaghost22
  • Gtaghost22

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:38 AM

What is the consensus now, may I ask? I haven't viewed this thread in a really long time. :)

Tripz
  • Tripz

Dusting Off

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:42 AM

What is the consensus now, may I ask? I haven't viewed this thread in a really long time. :)

Apparently the map is now 49 sq miles, which I doubt is true.

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:45 AM

If Liberty City  GTA4 is 6 Sq mi What Los Santos the city itself in that term 

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:58 AM

Is Dan Houser a liar?

I don't see what you're getting at, that Red Dead Redemption is two-times the size of San Andreas?

Anyway, i'm skeptical, but if the map is indeed 49 sq. miles, that makes me incredibly happy.

He was saying that Dan Houser "lied" about property being in the game. "Lying" implies that Houser was intentionally saying that it wasn't in the game to be deceptive. It's equally as likely, possibly MORE likely, that they had a half-developed property system that had been temporarily scrapped at that point in the development, only for them to fix it up and bring it back in after they had already said that it wouldn't be in the game.

Very few creators will intentionally lie about their product. If they don't want to reveal something too early, they simply say that they have "No information that can be given at this time" or dodge around the question. They ESPECIALLY won't lie about features that are going to be revealed months before the release anyway, as the lie would be completely pointless.

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:34 AM Edited by DODI3OG, 08 September 2013 - 06:45 AM.

"This world[Red Dead Redemption] is two times larger than the one presented in GTA: San Andreas" - DAN HOUSER

GTAV map=5x RDR

GTA SA=14miles(14miles)

RDR=28miles(28miles)

28x3.5=98.

28x1.5=42

98+42=140

VERY Wild guess

GTA V 1st island=49miles(49miles)

GTA V 2nd island=49miles(49miles)

GTA V underwater TOTAL=42miles(42miles)

49+49=98

98+42=140miles(140miles)

chitoryu12
  • chitoryu12

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:41 AM

Second island?

<Yang3
  • <Yang3

☆☆☆☆☆

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 08 September 2013 - 06:44 AM

Second island?

*Clearing throat*

KidAmnesiac42
  • KidAmnesiac42

Chin up, Cheer up. Chin up.

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:46 AM

Well, here you go. :dozing:

As you probably may know, Algonquin was the most populated part of Liberty City. As Downtown Los Santos.

This is Algonquin, the most populated place.

w99j.jpg

As you can probably see, I've drawn some green lines representing the lanes.

Downtown LS.

0gnw.jpg

From what looks to be the U.S. bank. I've labeled the lanes here, too.

Top right, I see a five-lane road.

wv0r.jpg

This is usually what a five-lane road would be...

Walker-WB-at-Windolph-Lane.jpg

From here, I've shown that there are frequent four lanes.

8ntc.jpg

Means nothing. Five lanes are usually for directory transitions or opening streets.

vjsb.jpg

There, I added more cars to make it easier. :monocle:

Since it's been inferred that this area here is downtown.

pvx1.jpg

It is very well obvious that it is the center of LS.

We've been given so many high views of LS it's not even funny.

Like this.

1-1280.jpg

I'm not even saying that LS is small. I never have. :pirate:

But, something about this screenshot doesn't sit well with me.

5bcd.jpg

This, I mean.

That's the inferred Downtown area. I mean, if that is the ghetto, to the right, then it seems fairly close. 

It'll just take a few minutes in a fast car to get from downtown to the ghetto.

See, that's what I meant when I said everything is compiled together too simply.

Because, let's face it, we all know that Liberty City with the water alone is overall bigger than Los Santos.

Which leads me to my conclusion. :monocle:

aqb6.jpg

Their mine, based on my facts. :cool:

And if you were to combine LC's islands together from my pics, you'll get that LC is about the size of LS.

think that downtown LC is the upper-most half of Algonquin. Based on my facts and evidence!

I mean you might say 20% bigger just because of the street lengths, but really, it means sh*t to me. :whuh:

EDIT: Almost forgot.

ksjx.jpg

:)

You guys keep making complaints about things you don't know. Los Angeles has more than just one ghetto. By USC there are many "ghettos," you keep talking about LA but you don't even know the city. By the way even if the ghetto is close to downtown... SO WHAT? Are you not going to get the game? You're on a GTAforum (everyday), so I doubt it. The game is out in 9 days, just chill dude.

SimMaster
  • SimMaster

San Andreas Explorer

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

So.. this site says the world is 49 square-miles:

Pizentu
  • Pizentu

Thats What She Said

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

So.. this site says the world is 49 square-miles:

Yes and it has started a frenzy. Where did he get this magical number of 49? 

PoliceFarm
  • PoliceFarm

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:40 AM

It'll just take a few minutes in a fast car to get from downtown to the ghetto.

Try a few seconds mate, timing your travels in game make it feel much quicker than just playing naturally. I timed how long it took to drive a Bullet GT from the east side of Algonquin to the west side of Alderney, and it took me 45 seconds.

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:43 PM

There is just no way RDR is 28 square miles. The map has even been measured in a CAD program. RDR seems to actually be half the size of GTA SA. The map simply appears bigger thanks to the inaccessible area and thanks to mainly traveling on horseback as opposed to with a car.

Magic_Al claimed in the mapping thread that 49 square miles makes sense for the entire map including water but I am going to have to disagree with that. He claims that the landmass is around 20 square miles. If that is true than that is the "3.5 times RDR" number. So considering that how can 1.5 times RDR for water add a whopping 29 square miles? If the 20 square miles, give or take, is true than the water is around 9 square miles only. So that means by current estimates the entire map including water is about 29 square miles and not 49 square miles.

The extra 20 square miles don't even make any sense because it just contradicts Rockstar's own comparisons.

It seems that number from Scotsman is indeed based on the faulty premise that RDR is 28 square miles when that sounds more like the number in square kilometers. Somewhere along the line kilometers were simply swapped with the word miles.

caligula87
  • caligula87

SEXIEST MEMBER ALIVE

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:28 PM Edited by caligula87, 08 September 2013 - 03:30 PM.

There is just no way RDR is 28 square miles. The map has even been measured in a CAD program. RDR seems to actually be half the size of GTA SA. The map simply appears bigger thanks to the inaccessible area and thanks to mainly traveling on horseback as opposed to with a car.

"Ok so I rode on my black (fast) horse from the card house in blackwater to the mansion in Escalara and it took me 9 mins 32 seconds."

Horse speed = 40 mph = 0,67 miles per minute. It took 10 minutes = 6,7 miles. 28 square miles = 4 x 7 miles. It isn't even big. There is just no way RDR is smaller...

• gwaha likes this

ZeeKid2k10
  • ZeeKid2k10

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:16 PM

ab40da92189011e3afd022000aaa0950_7.jpg

c697d94a189e11e3930d22000a1fb865_7.jpg

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:39 PM

"Ok so I rode on my black (fast) horse from the card house in blackwater to the mansion in Escalara and it took me 9 mins 32 seconds."

Horse speed = 40 mph = 0,67 miles per minute. It took 10 minutes = 6,7 miles. 28 square miles = 4 x 7 miles. It isn't even big. There is just no way RDR is smaller...

Then explain the countless of calculations done to determine the true size of RDR's map? Those numbers have been checked again and again by many on this forum and they have been counter checked with countless objects in the game. It has also been proven that Rockstar's maps are based on one meter per pixel rule.  There is absolutely no way whatsoever that RDR is bigger than GTA SA. RDR is not even 28 square miles if it includes the unplayable area.

And where do you even get the "horse speed" from? Even in the GTA series the speed of cars isn't always that realistic as it is bound by the size of the map. If it is too fast it tends to make the map seem smaller. They do that kind of thing in a lot of games and because of that you can't really measure the size of map with modes of transportation.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:38 PM

Ok guys, I edited the topic title. Now that we have the map lets see you guys put your LC scale comparisons up

ArcherTheGreat
  • ArcherTheGreat

Master Chief's Backseat Driver

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

See, when you get all the little details like alleyways and dirt roads into account into the map, now it seems massive as f***.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:21 PM

Someone worked out land area to be only 17.4 sq miles. Thats only just over 4 by 4 miles

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

If I didnt have class all day I would impose all the scales we got over the map...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users