» «
Photo

Map Size Thread

8,295 replies to this topic
josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:48 PM Edited by josephene123, 07 September 2013 - 04:48 PM.

There's so much margin for error that you can't make a scale based on it and claim 'facts' of any kind. Why is that scale better or more accurate than Magic Al's or Deffpony's or gtaalex's, which are based on...you know... real evidence? 

I never even sad they were better than theirs. Gosh, I want to do a realistic face-desk right now, and risk having my important body parts or bones fractured. :/

You attempted to make a new scale, and it's different to their scales, the amount that you've been posting about it leads us to infer you believe your scale is more accurate. If you don't even think your scale is accurate, why not say 'I don't think my scale is accurate because it's a guess' and then stop discussing it?

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:53 PM

There's so much margin for error that you can't make a scale based on it and claim 'facts' of any kind. Why is that scale better or more accurate than Magic Al's or Deffpony's or gtaalex's, which are based on...you know... real evidence? 

I never even sad they were better than theirs. Gosh, I want to do a realistic face-desk right now, and risk having my important body parts or bones fractured. :/

You attempted to make a new scale, and it's different to their scales, the amount that you've been posting about it leads us to infer you believe your scale is more accurate. If you don't even think your scale is accurate, why not say 'I don't think my scale is accurate because it's a guess' and then stop discussing it?

Well, I wouldn't say "completely". But that took me a hell of a time to complete. :blush:

Trying to get me to deny my scale, eh? It aint no guess. It  was done with great certitude. I am aware my scales won't be the same as Deff's, Al's or Alex's, but I'm still keeping with my own.

Carbine23
  • Carbine23

Work Hard & Say It's Easy

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

Well after seeing this image, i have absolutely NO problems with the size of the city. i mean....LOOK AT IT.

5-1.jpg

• adam1blade likes this

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:57 PM

Kindled. Your ignorance is unbounded.

The tennis court scale is irrefutable. Magics scale is correct. The tennis court IS realistically sized, the pics of Franklin and the female opponent show it to be so. There was MUCH work done on extrapolating that out to show how this scale below

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

Is correct.  It also tallies with road widths being 5 m wide.

Your eyeballing with lines is ludicrous.

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:58 PM Edited by gwaha, 07 September 2013 - 04:59 PM.

I am not really surprised any longer you are still sticking to your own "findings". You don't get a sense of scale with a line method. Every method should be based on an actual number, not drawing a line and figuring that each building is roughly the same size and counting the roads or whatever the heck it is you have been doing. Without a true measurement you are never going to come even close to a real assessment. If you do anything like you did in this thread that in school don't be surprised to get an F.

Lucchese
  • Lucchese

Cynical Prick

• Andolini Mafia Family

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:58 PM

I think Kindled has it right.

Alot of you are going to be a little disappointed, judging by the way some of you are over hyping the size of the city. 

As that R* North dude confirmed, LS will be the same size as LC clumped together, thus making LS much smaller than the whole of LC. 

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

@niko

No, Kindled doesn't have it right. You don't guess the size of an area with drawing silly lines without an actual measurement behind it. It is not about being disappointed or too optimistic but it is about coming up with a size comparison through an eyeball method that is just too ludicrous for words.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:04 PM Edited by josephene123, 07 September 2013 - 05:04 PM.

I think Kindled has it right.

Alot of you are going to be a little disappointed, judging by the way some of you are over hyping the size of the city. 

As that R* North dude confirmed, LS will be the same size as LC clumped together, thus making LS much smaller than the whole of LC. 

If he has it right, it's a tremendous stroke of luck seeing as there is absolutely no calculation or real evidence supporting any of his claims.

• gwaha likes this

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:11 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 07 September 2013 - 05:16 PM.

The tennis court scale is irrefutable. Magics scale is correct. The tennis court IS realistically sized, the pics of Franklin and the female opponent show it to be so. There was MUCH work done on extrapolating that out to show how this scale below

I used a line segment once. Or twice. Plus, you could have at least shorten that pic. My computer isn't... bigger than 16 inches.

I even got a Google Earth-style view, in relation to the character switching part. It's almost impossible to make LS 20% larger even if you do use the road size estimate!

Why not use a correct scale of bunching the LC islands together without making fun of the damn size? That tennis court would very well equal the same as the on from IV. If you were to find that tennis court in Bohan, again. It'd be the same as the one east of LS. But, I've already stated before, LC's size most likely covers the main areas of LS. The main parts of it, I mean. Not the hills, or whatever.

You guys are hyping the size of LS. I saw what the R* guy has said, compiling the cities of LC together would get you the actual size of LS, from what I understand.

I will post that LC compilation in one minute if no one else has it.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:14 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 07 September 2013 - 05:15 PM.

*Oops* Meant to edit.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:15 PM

What he also says in the interview is that he wanted to let the city slowly fade into the countryside. I think that's the reason why Los Santos is 20% bigger than Liberty City, because it sprawls in stead of being a solid urban chunk.

According to the art director of the game, Los Santos is not 20% bigger than Liberty City.  It's the same size as Liberty City without the water - same landmass, smaller footprint.

The areas where the city fades into the countryside (north of the observatory and Vinewood sign) are not part of the city.  They're transitional areas.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:21 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 07 September 2013 - 05:22 PM.

Something went wrong with my post. :/ Just highlight the white area, I guess.

You guys are hyping the size of LS. I saw what the R* guy has said, compiling the cities of LC together would get you the actual size of LS, from what I understand.

I will post that LC compilation if no one has it.

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:25 PM

According to the art director of the game, Los Santos is not 20% bigger than Liberty City.  It's the same size as Liberty City without the water - same landmass, smaller footprint.

The areas where the city fades into the countryside (north of the observatory and Vinewood sign) are not part of the city.  They're transitional areas.

No according to the art director of the game they wanted to make sure that Los Santos was at least the same size as Liberty City by using all islands of Liberty City without the water as a template. This doesn't mean the city can't be bigger because his statement only means it can't be smaller.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:26 PM

Why not use a correct scale of bunching the LC islands together without making fun of the damn size? That tennis court would very well equal the same as the on from IV. If you were to find that tennis court in Bohan, again. It'd be the same as the one east of LS. But, I've already stated before, LC's size most likely covers the main areas of LS. The main parts of it, I mean. Not the hills, or whatever.

Once again, what the hell are you talking about? We HAVE found the tennis court in Bohan. We HAVE found the tennis court in Los Santos. Magic Al HAS created a scale made by scaling the two courts to the same size on each map... so what are you trying to say, I don't understand?

• Found_Again likes this

Billy the kid
  • Billy the kid

Rat

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

How exactly do we know that the tennis courts in the two games are the exact same size? I dont think so. Rockstar seems to rush their stuff lately without doing any proper research (Ghetto size for example) so I dont think they looked about the real measurement on real life tennis courts and put it in GTA.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:30 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 07 September 2013 - 05:30 PM.

Once again, what the hell are you talking about? We HAVE found the tennis court in Bohan. We HAVE found the tennis court in Los Santos. Magic Al HAS created a scale made by scaling the two courts to the same size on each map... so what are you trying to say, I don't understand?

136134325638571251.GIF

You know what? I'm done with you for now. How is it so hard to read carefully, IN BETWEEN THE LINES?! :blink:

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:35 PM Edited by josephene123, 07 September 2013 - 05:36 PM.

136134325638571251.GIF

You know what? I'm done with you for now. How is it so hard to read carefully, IN BETWEEN THE LINES?! :blink:

And how hard is it to read from Rockstar again and again and again that GTA V is made up just of Los Santos and Blaine County, yet you refuse to do so.  :lol:

Magic Al's scale is based on the tennis courts in IV and V. They're already the same size in his scale. We don't need to do anything else, they are the same size and the maps are scaled the same way too. So yeah, again, what the hell are you talking about? 

• Found_Again likes this

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

No according to the art director of the game they wanted to make sure that Los Santos was at least the same size as Liberty City by using all islands of Liberty City without the water as a template. This doesn't mean the city can't be bigger because his statement only means it can't be smaller.

qvmFsPa.png

How exactly do we know that the tennis courts in the two games are the exact same size?

We don't.  There are 2 sets of tennis courts in IV.  Those tennis courts aren't even the same size as each other.

• stjimmy3 likes this

Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

This may not be the most constructive post I've ever made on here, but it needs to be said:

Anyone who claims that the city is anywhere near "small" are f*cking stupid.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

136134325638571251.GIF

And how hard is it to read from Rockstar again and again and again that GTA V is made up just of Los Santos and Blaine County, yet you refuse to do so.  :lol:

Magic Al's scale is based on the tennis courts in IV and V. They're already the same size in his scale. We don't need to do anything else, they are the same size and the maps are scaled the same way too. So yeah, again, what the hell are you talking about? 

LC and LS are the same size-ish. Not that 20% bullsh*t.

AceHigh11
  • AceHigh11

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:39 PM

Well after seeing this image, i have absolutely NO problems with the size of the city. i mean....LOOK AT IT.

5-1.jpg

My favorite screenshot! :)

OldSwitcheroo
  • OldSwitcheroo

Is it real or not?

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

This has just continued to be a big old bitchfest

You all sound about 12...  

Sort yourselves out.

johntheguy
  • johntheguy

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:45 PM

This may not be the most constructive post I've ever made on here, but it needs to be said:

It may not be "small", but if the blueprint map is accurate then there is a surprising lack of roads and avenues.  Maybe if zoomed in, more small streets would reveal themselves?  I can't help but feel disappointed by that map of the city...it just seems too brief and compact.

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:46 PM Edited by josephene123, 07 September 2013 - 05:47 PM.

136134325638571251.GIF

You keep saying that yet you've brought absolutely nothing to the table to disprove it. Unless I misunderstood, you were just saying that if you removed the water from LC and changed nothing else in order to get the scale for LS, then the tennis courts would then be scaled the same on each map. (If none of that is what you meant, than you'll need to clarify yourself and post so that your points are actually understandable)

We don't need to do that, Magic Al already has them scaled the same size, and the result had LS around 20% larger than LC without water.

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:48 PM

How exactly do we know that the tennis courts in the two games are the exact same size? I dont think so. Rockstar seems to rush their stuff lately without doing any proper research (Ghetto size for example) so I dont think they looked about the real measurement on real life tennis courts and put it in GTA.

That is just bogus. Rockstar has in no way rushed anything. Just because they haven't made your precious ghetto the same size as in LA it doesn't mean they haven't done proper research. If Rockstar wasn't interested in proper research they wouldn't have recreated a serious amount of SoCal landmarks.

Seriously, the size of the ghetto is not some sort of universal size whereas something like a tennis court is. People are just in denial of what good math shows. Just because you are unhappy with something doesn't mean an actual scientific method can't be right, especially after multiple methods come to close to the same conclusion. Heck, even Rockstar themselves claim that Los Santos is at least the same size as Liberty City. People can keep denying the truth but it makes you look desperate.

stjimmy3
  • stjimmy3

Hater of player haters

• Members
  • Canada

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

Michael*

cradical
  • cradical

Rat

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:49 PM

It may not be "small", but if the blueprint map is accurate then there is a surprising lack of roads and avenues.  Maybe if zoomed in, more small streets would reveal themselves?  I can't help but feel disappointed by that map of the city...it just seems too brief and compact.

You said it yourself, the blueprint only shows major streets. Just look at the gameplay trailer map-shots against the blueprint and it's evident that the blueprint doesn't show everything.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:53 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 07 September 2013 - 05:56 PM.

136134325638571251.GIF

You keep saying that yet you've brought absolutely nothing to the table to disprove it. Unless I misunderstood, you were just saying that if you removed the water from LC and changed nothing else in order to get the scale for LS, then the tennis courts would then be scaled the same on each map. (If none of that is what you meant, than you'll need to clarify yourself and post so that your points are actually understandable)

We don't need to do that, Magic Al already has them scaled the same size, and the result had LS around 20% larger than LC without water.

Actually, that's exactly what I was trying to say! :dozing: Didn't clarify, cause I thought someone would understand.

Anyway, about that island compilation. If you were to do that.

You'd either get

This:

BDn8HWP.gif

This:

CompMapLSLC.jpg

This:

b1l7.jpg

Or, my personal favorite

This:

0t54.jpg

EDIT: Gwaha: I thought LS was 20% bigger than LC. :monocle: Stop interpreting things your way.

Wait...

Cilogy
  • Cilogy

SILL•uh•jee

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:57 PM

I used to go to the funny picture topic for my daily laugh, but now I come here.

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:01 PM Edited by gwaha, 07 September 2013 - 06:04 PM.

@Kindled

I thought interpreting things a certain way was your job? That is what you keep doing. I have always said that Los Santos is at least as big as Liberty City. In none of my posts have I ever used the 20 % number. The 20 % number itself falls within the margin of error so I would never use it as evidence for anything.

It seems your eyeballing also results into you thinking that every poster who disagrees with you must be named gwaha.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users