» «
Photo

Map Size Thread

8,295 replies to this topic
nuer
  • nuer

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 21:30)

See that?

You need to be delusional if you think that fits out side of IV's map.

@nuer: The LOD thread. wink.gif

The one where you attempted to begin a conversation?

Yeah, I remember that.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

‘Be Yourself’ is about the worst advice you can give to people.

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:46 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 04 September 2013 - 10:20 PM.

QUOTE (nuer @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 21:42)

See that?

@nuer: The LOD  thread. wink.gif

The one where you attempted to begin a conversation?

Yeah, I remember that.

Yes, that exact one with the clueless, idiotic, helpless... "you".
  • Smaher. likes this

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:50 PM

Take your personal arguments to PM. This has nothing at all to do with Los Santos Size.

nuer
  • nuer

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

Go ahead and ban me then.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (Kirsty @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 21:50)
Take your personal arguments to PM. This has nothing at all to do with Los Santos Size.

Thank you. icon14.gif
Now I guess that would spark the other members to quit bashing me. confused.gif
  • Smaher. likes this

nuer
  • nuer

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:54 PM

No one wants you here...that's why they are bashing you.

Kirsty
  • Kirsty

• Administrator
  • United-Kingdom
  • Best Administrator 2015
    Best Moderator 2014
    Most Respected 2014
    Most Helpful 2014
    Best Moderator 2013
    Most Helpful 2013

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:56 PM

QUOTE (nuer @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 22:52)
Go ahead and ban me then.

As I said.

This topic has always been a 'heated' debate, but no one cares about personal vendettas and that goes for both of you, enough is enough.

No more after this post.

Found_Again
  • Found_Again

Ban Roulette Victim. :)

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 16:52)

Thank you. icon14.gif
Now I guess that would spark the other members to quit bashing me. confused.gif

Dude, deffpony pretty much gave you a 24 hr "soft" ban in the mapping thread for doing the same thing. Stop being a victim. icon14.gif

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:00 PM

Anyway...

Just in case no one saw it before.

Well, here you go. My scaled estimate.
user posted image
Been working on it for a while, now.

Based it generally from here.
user posted image
icon14.gif

I'm clearly bot "eyeballing". whatsthat.gif

@Found_Again: Just read Kirsty's two posts. When a mod tells you to do something, you do it. wink.gif
  • Smaher. likes this

nuer
  • nuer

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:01 PM

Spam it one more time...I beg you.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:03 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 04 September 2013 - 10:09 PM.

QUOTE (nuer @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 22:01)
Spam it one more time...I beg you.

Why do you insist on responding to me?.

I'm not spamming anything. I'm staying on topic. How 'bout you?
  • Smaher. likes this

o Lewie Vee o
  • o Lewie Vee o

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:10 PM

Can you look at what I posted on page 402 I think it is quite relevant. How can I post the screen in my post?

elopsekomsnayr
  • elopsekomsnayr

Player Hater

• BUSTED!

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:21 PM

i love how the 2 or 3 best scalers/mappers on gta forums came to roughly the same conclusion of los santos' size (just larger than gta iv) and then all these kids and trolls come in with the tried and true "eyeballing" method rolleyes.gif los santos alone is bigger than gta iv... get over it already.

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (o Lewie Vee o @ Thursday, Sep 5 2013, 00:10)
Can you look at what I posted on page 402 I think it is quite relevant. How can I post the screen in my post?

Okay, I assume it is about you seeing an island or something to the north east of Chiliad? I am not really a fan of trying to see something that far into the background. I have checked the frames of the diving scene but that particular area is only in view for one frame so not much can be said. It is possible something is there but usually in scenes like that you get too much distortion in the background.

I see weird things popping in and out when the diver is looking south beyond Los Santos but the the distance stays into focus for at least more than one frame so there is definitely nothing in the south. I know you are talking about the north, just showing that with more frames you can discount the search for another island.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:27 PM Edited by _Kindled_, 04 September 2013 - 10:34 PM.

QUOTE (elopsekomsnayr @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 22:21)
i love how the 2 or 3 best scalers/mappers on gta forums came to roughly the same conclusion of los santos' size (just larger than gta iv) and then all these kids and trolls come in with the tried and true "eyeballing" method rolleyes.gif   los santos alone is bigger than gta iv... get over it already.

Go away, Kjacked. rolleyes.gif

EDIT: Goodbye, Kjacked. whatsthat.gif
  • Smaher. likes this

uboaaaa
  • uboaaaa

I'm afraid we've reached an impasse.

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:29 PM

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 22:27)
i love how the 2 or 3 best scalers/mappers on gta forums came to roughly the same conclusion of los santos' size (just larger than gta iv) and then all these kids and trolls come in with the tried and true "eyeballing" method rolleyes.gif   los santos alone is bigger than gta iv... get over it already.

What he says is true.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

QUOTE (uboaaaa @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 22:29)

What he says is true.

I never said LS was small. Just that it was the same estimate as of LC. I don't remember attacking the size, just stating my own opinions.
  • Smaher. likes this

o Lewie Vee o
  • o Lewie Vee o

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:34 PM Edited by o Lewie Vee o, 04 September 2013 - 10:36 PM.

QUOTE (gwaha @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 22:27)
QUOTE (o Lewie Vee o @ Thursday, Sep 5 2013, 00:10)

Okay, I assume it is about you seeing an island or something to the north east of Chiliad? I am not really a fan of trying to see something that far into the background. I have checked the frames of the diving scene but that particular area is only in view for one frame so not much can be said. It is possible something is there but usually in scenes like that you get too much distortion in the background.

I see weird things popping in and out when the diver is looking south beyond Los Santos but the the distance stays into focus for at least more than one frame so there is definitely nothing in the south. I know you are talking about the north, just showing that with more frames you can discount the search for another island.

Fair comment but surely you can see the outline of something, something has to be there otherwise you'd see the lines across all of the horizon. It kinda makes sense to me as everyone knows R* aren't showing us the north until we get the game. CVG has also said that they believe we're only been shown 1/3 of the map & R* keep showing the same screens just at different angles...only time will tell

Oh sorry I wasn't suggesting an island as such but land that takes us a lonnng time to drive between smile.gif

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

Not really. The camera is pointed in a particular direction which shows more distortion on the east side. I only saw a distortion in a southwesterly direction when the camera changed direction to Los Santos. And that was popping in and out in different places (still only on the southwestern side of the map).

And we have seen the north already, a good amount of times too. There is only a small area we haven't seen, the northeastern side of the most northeastern mountain. And even then we know the exact outline.

And where did CVG make the 1/3rd comment? That comment is rather odd considering that currently the known map is already close to the size Rockstar mentioned. The fanmade maps are already close to 3.5 times RDR and this is based on the achievement map outline (even though the outline was already known to the mappers weeks before the achievement was shown through deduction of a really small background map showing the entire northern outline in one of the trailers).

If the known world we have already seen is only 1/3rd the map is way, way bigger than what Rockstar told us and that just can't be remotely right. It would make the total landmass at least 60 - 65 square miles which is slightly more than 1/4th of Just Cause 2. CVG is just confused considering they first believed Los Santos was only 1/10th of the island, which based on the outline is completely wrong.

uboaaaa
  • uboaaaa

I'm afraid we've reached an impasse.

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 22:34)
QUOTE (uboaaaa @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 22:29)

What he says is true.

I never said LS was small. Just that it was the same estimate as of LC. I don't remember attacking the size, just stating my own opinions.

Yes, i'm aware of that, (I think LS and LC are the same size as well) and i'm not going to throw insults at you because I don't know you personally, (and it's downright childish), but I just think you shouldn't get so defensive all the time. I think people are just getting uptight because you have a tendency to go off topic sometimes with your theories. They're not bad, either (I agree with some), but I think it's just causing people to jump on you frequently. So please, be respectful to one another, and there shouldn't be any conflicts with other members in the future. So, let's get back on topic. icon14.gif

o Lewie Vee o
  • o Lewie Vee o

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

QUOTE (gwaha @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 22:45)
Not really. The camera is pointed in a particular direction which shows more distortion on the east side. I only saw a distortion in a southwesterly direction when the camera changed direction to Los Santos. And that was popping in and out in different places (still only on the southwestern side of the map).

And we have seen the north already, a good amount of times too. There is only a small area we haven't seen, the northeastern side of the most northeastern mountain. And even then we know the exact outline.

And where did CVG make the 1/3rd comment? That comment is rather odd considering that currently the known map is already close to the size Rockstar mentioned. The fanmade maps are already close to 3.5 times RDR and this is based on the achievement map outline (even though the outline was already known to the mappers weeks before the achievement was shown through deduction of a really small background map showing the entire northern outline in one of the trailers).

If the known world we have already seen is only 1/3rd the map is way, way bigger than what Rockstar told us and that just can't be remotely right. It would make the total landmass at least 60 - 65 square miles which is slightly more than 1/4th of Just Cause 2. CVG is just confused considering they first believed Los Santos was only 1/10th of the island, which based on the outline is completely wrong.

Nah I disagree. I'm quite confident (wishful) that there land up there. If not then I can't see how there going to have the Sanora dessert & further up the street snowy north yankton.

CVG made that statment in one of their 5 o'clock episode after they had their first preview earlier this year with R*.

On the other hand there is a possibility that I'm wrong, I hope not though but I do remember back to how games mags & R* have exaggerated on things in previous GTAs

gwaha
  • gwaha

Homie

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:01 PM

It can snow in the desert.

And if Rockstar has exaggerated the size this would show in the map actually being smaller than their claim but despite that the map's size is pretty much right on the money. So since the map's size is already 3.5 times RDR another island would make it much bigger. The total game is 5 times RDR including the water and that really gives no room for an island that is seemingly too far away. 1.5 times RDR is nothing considering it is for water all around the island.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

http://i.imgur.com/v1z6yST.jpg
See that?

http://www.picturesh...19-51-59-90.png

This is pretty much the correct scale based on the roads:

user posted image

Which translates into this: http://i1173.photobu...ExpresswayV.jpg

Also, don't call people delusional...

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:09 PM

I still don't see how blue could be so far from black, but in V, blue is far from red. whatsthat.gif I must be missing something.
  • Smaher. likes this

o Lewie Vee o
  • o Lewie Vee o

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:11 PM

QUOTE (gwaha @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 23:01)
It can snow in the desert.

And if Rockstar has exaggerated the size this would show in the map actually being smaller than their claim but despite that the map's size is pretty much right on the money. So since the map's size is already 3.5 times RDR another island would make it much bigger. The total game is 5 times RDR including the water and that really gives no room for an island that is seemingly too far away. 1.5 times RDR is nothing considering it is for water all around the island.

Hmmm....good point I guess it will feel bigger at street level

Well we'll find out next week for sure

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 23:09)
I still don't see how blue could be so far from black, but in V, blue is far from red. whatsthat.gif I must be missing something.

Wait, what? You realize that the circles mean road widths, right? Black is 2 lane, red is 4 and blue is 4 + median.

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:16 PM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 23:13)
QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 23:09)

Wait, what? You realize that the circles mean road widths, right? Black is 2 lane, red is 4 and blue is 4 + median.

I must've mis-read. I thought you referring to average scale. I've been looking at that for a long time. confused.gif
  • Smaher. likes this

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:18 PM Edited by josephene123, 04 September 2013 - 11:21 PM.

Kindled I haven't seen you post anything which shows any of your workings out to come up with your estimate. Counting streets and buildings is a terrible way to measure things, and 'rows of cars' what? You're going to have to be more clear, there aren't even any cars on the ground in that skydiving picture?

_Kindled_
  • _Kindled_

• BUSTED!
  • United-States

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (josephene123 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 23:18)
Kindled I haven't seen you post anything which shows any of your workings out to come up with your estimate. Counting streets and buildings is a terrible way to measure things.

The thing is... I don't know exactly what you want me to prove. What type of scaling methods would you all want me to do to prove my theories.
  • Smaher. likes this

josephene123
  • josephene123

No

• Members

Posted 04 September 2013 - 11:28 PM

QUOTE (_Kindled_ @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 23:22)
QUOTE (josephene123 @ Wednesday, Sep 4 2013, 23:18)
Kindled I haven't seen you post anything which shows any of your workings out to come up with your estimate. Counting streets and buildings is a terrible way to measure things.

The thing is... I don't know exactly what you want me to prove. What type of scaling methods would you all want me to do to prove my theories.

I want you to show any shred of evidence at all that would really suggest your estimate is in any way accurate. Everyone else save a few trolls, have. Otherwise there is very little point in posting it here. This isn't me being hateful, by the way

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users