8,295 replies to this topic
gtaxpert
  • gtaxpert

that's how I dooz it

• Members
  • Netherlands

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:59 AM

user posted image
What makes you believe these cars are the same size? The car on the right looks bigger to me. And you can't have compared them on width, because the other car is in an angle. Why didn't you use the tennis court as a reference point?

These may be stupid questions, but I'm just trying to get some insight.

brwhizz
  • brwhizz

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:03 AM

QUOTE (gtaxpert @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 00:59)
user posted image
What makes you believe these cars are the same size? The car on the right looks bigger to me. And you can't have compared them on width, because the other car is in an angle. Why didn't you use the tennis court as a reference point?

My god. You know we only live once, right?

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:06 AM

@xpert: those are all good points and were factored into my sources for error. I did not use the tennis court because there is no way to know if they are indeed the same size. They could possibly be different proportions or dimensions. However, the cars will definitely be the same proportion and the rest of the map will have a direct correlation with the size of the cars, unlike the tennis courts.

On the three trials I did I made the cars three slightly different sizes. One with the GTA IVcar slightly bigger, one with the V car slightly bigger, and one with them as close as possible. The variances in the end result were completely in noticeable and between a 3-5% difference.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:00 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 01:06)
@xpert: those are all good points and were factored into my sources for error. I did not use the tennis court because there is no way to know if they are indeed the same size. They could possibly be different proportions or dimensions. However, the cars will definitely be the same proportion and the rest of the map will have a direct correlation with the size of the cars, unlike the tennis courts.

On the three trials I did I made the cars three slightly different sizes. One with the GTA IVcar slightly bigger, one with the V car slightly bigger, and one with them as close as possible. The variances in the end result were completely in noticeable and between a 3-5% difference.

Couldn't you literally just compare to the car model to the tennis court in V's map like what's shown in that IV screenshot? That could help confirm if they are indeed the same size or not.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:10 AM Edited by deffpony, 17 July 2013 - 04:12 AM.

QUOTE (WolfbackGames @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 23:00)

Couldn't you literally just compare to the car model to the tennis court in V's map like what's shown in that IV screenshot? That could help confirm if they are indeed the same size or not.

That would require a shot in GTA V that had a car next to the tennis court from a top down view. You guys cant harp sp much on this damn tennis court. It just isnt reliable with what we have so far.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 04:10)

That would require a shot in GTA V that had a car next to the tennis court from a top down view. You guys cant harp sp much on this damn tennis court. It just isnt reliable with what we have so far.

I'm not harping on about the tennis court but I don't see your logic. We have a topdown view of both Micheal's home and the tennis court scaled exactly to fit the map. If you have the car model and the map loaded in some sort of 3D modeling software, you could literally just drag the scaled car model you created with the Michael's house shot over to the tennis court area. The only way I could see a problem would be if the two regions are from different elevations, but it doesn't seem that way.

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 18:43)

And scaling each map to ensure there were the same proportions as the car references, I obtained this scale.

http://i.imgur.com/LqKfSa0.gif

I believe that's at .7 mile horizontal grid line spacing. That's smaller than my estimate of .75 mile.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:33 AM Edited by deffpony, 17 July 2013 - 04:37 AM.

QUOTE (WolfbackGames @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 23:28)

I'm not harping on about the tennis court but I don't see your logic. We have a topdown view of both Micheal's home and the tennis court scaled exactly to fit the map. If you have the car model and the map loaded in some sort of 3D modeling software, you could literally just drag the scaled car model you created with the Michael's house shot over to the tennis court area. The only way I could see a problem would be if the two regions are from different elevations, but it doesn't seem that way.

Why would I use the car to get the scale for the tennis court, so I could use the tennis court to get the scale for the map, when I could just use the car to get the scale of the map, and skip that entire step.

Unless you specifically want to know the scale of the tennis court?? And as you said, elevation has alot to do with why that might not work

October16th
  • October16th

Gamertag: X5R

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:44 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Tuesday, Jul 16 2013, 23:33)

Why would I use the car to get the scale for the tennis court, so I could use the tennis court to get the scale for the map, when I could just use the car to get the scale of the map, and skip that entire step.

Unless you specifically want to know the scale of the tennis court?? And as you said, elevation has alot to do with why that might not work

Just use the tennis court.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:45 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 04:33)

I only feel that there is room for error in comparing the car sizes like that. One, how are you certain you have the car scaled to the exact right size in the GTAV map? Sure, it's in the ballpark, but there is obvious room for error. Even a couple inches off will make a difference if you're going for an absolutely precise comparison. Your current way will work fine if you know the exact dimensions of the vehicle you're comparing it to (I'm not sure if you do or not), but if not, you're most likely eyeballing to whatever looks "right". If we can figure out that the tennis courts are exactly the same size between the two games, which it looks like, we can get a very accurate size comparison of both. Either way, I'm much more confident about your latest comparisons as oppose to old ones others have done. *ahem* like Taco's *ahem*

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:51 AM Edited by deffpony, 17 July 2013 - 05:07 AM.

Oh ok I see what your saying. You just want a MORE accurate comparison. Well like I said, the tennis courts arent exactly confirmed as being the same size but ill see what I can do because I love you guys

edit:Found it, yea they are definitely not the same size. Uploading some pics in a sec

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:08 AM Edited by WolfbackGames, 17 July 2013 - 05:19 AM.

QUOTE (deffpony @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 04:51)
edit:Found it, yea they are definitely not the same size. Uploading some pics in a sec

edit: Nvm lol, replied to what you had before about where the courts were. Figured they would be smaller, was worth a look into anyways.

edit again: Btw, what's the name of that car you're using for the comparisons? I'm going to test around with some things myself.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:25 AM Edited by deffpony, 17 July 2013 - 05:35 AM.

QUOTE (WolfbackGames @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 00:08)

edit: Nvm lol, replied to what you had before about where the courts were. Figured they would be smaller, was worth a look into anyways.

edit again: Btw, what's the name of that car you're using for the comparisons? I'm going to test around with some things myself.

dunno someone else gave me the screen

Ok here it is. First image shows how i scaled the tennis courts based on the car. Second image shows them side by side.

user posted image

user posted image

Of course there is room for error, especially because the car in the V shot isnt exactly clear and making the cars equal size was tought. But the V tennis court is only 87% the size of the IV tennis court. thats a big difference, so any erros in the car scaling wouldnt really account for that.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 05:25)
QUOTE (WolfbackGames @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 00:08)

dunno someone else gave me the screen

Ok here it is. First image shows how i scaled the tennis courts based on the car. Second image shows them side by side.

user posted image

user posted image

Of course there is room for error, especially because the car in the V shot isnt exactly clear and making the cars equal size was tought. But the V tennis court is only 87% the size of the IV tennis court. thats a big difference, so any erros in the car scaling wouldnt really account for that.

Looks pretty accurate to me. Even though they aren't the same size, this could still be helpful because now we have a somewhat accurate percentage to base the scaling off of. If you perfectly line the courts up between the maps so they overlay each other exactly, all you'll have to do is scale the GTAIV map up about 1.15x, or 15%. It'll most likely be a bit more complicated in practice, but it may give some reasonable results.

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

Back on page 320, F4t4l1ty measured the GTAIV tennis court to be the same size as a real tennis court, and [enforcA] posted diagrams that made it look very likely the tennis court is also the correct size in GTAV. Seems more likely to be consistent than cars.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Using the tennis court for scale makes the widest top-down GTAV screenshot equal 1600 meters per 1280 pixels, which is this scale:
user posted image
  • Gangxxter likes this

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:55 AM

Then why would they end up being so much of a size difference. I mean I could understand some sort of variances but, that is alot.

Kjax39
  • Kjax39

Playa

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

QUOTE (brwhizz @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 01:03)
QUOTE (gtaxpert @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 00:59)
user posted image

My god. You know we only live once, right?

Lmao, this.

October16th
  • October16th

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 00:52)
Back on page 320, F4t4l1ty measured the GTAIV tennis court to be the same size as a real tennis court, and [enforcA] posted diagrams that made it look very likely the tennis court is also the correct size in GTAV. Seems more likely to be consistent than cars.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Using the tennis court for scale makes the widest top-down GTAV screenshot equal 1600 meters per 1280 pixels, which is this scale:
user posted image

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I don't think comparing cars is accurate at all, there has to be way better methods.

It seems like GTA V used the same exact tennis court from GTA IV. Also, they've been reusing some of GTA IV's assets like the ski masks and a few other minor details. Is it possible that they're using the same scale as GTA IV? They're using the same engine and everything, and a lot of GTA IV's assets and objects are being put to use for detail. Since that's the case, it should be the same as GTA IV unless I have no idea what I'm talking about...

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:08 AM Edited by WolfbackGames, 17 July 2013 - 06:19 AM.

QUOTE (October16th @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 06:03)

http://i.imgur.com/p9qWd5a.png
http://i.imgur.com/ukW5sUI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GXoFpjt.png

http://i723.photobuc...VAREAvLS125.jpg

That's exactly what I've been thinking. I don't think comparing cars is accurate at all, there has to be way better methods.

It seems like GTA V used the same exact tennis court from GTA IV. Also, they've been reusing some of GTA IV's assets like the ski masks and a few other minor details. Is it possible that they're using the same scale as GTA IV? They're using the same engine and everything, and a lot of GTA IV's assets and objects are being put to use for detail. Since that's the case, it should be the same as GTA IV unless I have no idea what I'm talking about...

I think I'm going to have to side with Deff on this. Why would they size cars and people up by 15%? I guess it could make the world feel bigger, sure, yet it could also throw things off proportionally.

Also, I think it makes more sense to scale the game based on things you would use in everday gameplay. You drive cars around, not tennis courts. The size of your car compared to the world around you will make the world feel bigger or smaller, not really the size of a random tennis court.

October16th
  • October16th

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:11 AM Edited by October16th, 17 July 2013 - 06:17 AM.

QUOTE (deffpony @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 00:55)
Then why would they end up being so much of a size difference. I mean I could understand some sort of variances but, that is alot.

I think it's because the blueprint map is way bigger than the one city. It shows the entire map, which may make LS appear smaller than it actually is. With GTA IV the entire map is city, so it looks bigger than the blueprint but it isn't; it's just blown up more because it overall is a much smaller map than GTA V.

I think of the blueprint map to be zoomed out in a sense, and the LC map to be zoomed in.

Also Wolfback, wouldn't it make even more sense for Rockstar to just stick with the same scale they previously used?

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

QUOTE (WolfbackGames @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 01:08)
QUOTE (October16th @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 06:03)

http://i.imgur.com/p9qWd5a.png
http://i.imgur.com/ukW5sUI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GXoFpjt.png

http://i723.photobuc...VAREAvLS125.jpg

I think I'm going to have to side with Deff on this. Why would they size cars and people down by 15%? I guess it could make the world feel bigger, sure, yet it could also throw things off proportionally.

Exactly. Heres my logic. Both games can be proportionately measured in feet. But the "foot" measurement is in relation to character models. The cars are modeled directly in correlation with the size of the characters, and this character to car proportion should be the same between GTA IV and GTA V. Hence the Vehicles should be very close in comparison if not identical(not counting make and model variances obviously)

I already showed how the tennis courts just arent the same size. I dont know how that is arguable but Im willing to hear anyone out on it.

@October 16th: It has nothing to do with the blueprint. I did not even use the bluprint in my analysis:

user posted image

user posted image

Nem Wan
  • Nem Wan

The Artist Formerly Known As Magic_Al

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:42 AM Edited by Magic_Al, 17 July 2013 - 06:46 AM.

QUOTE (October16th @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 00:03)

The scale is always the same: make things be a realistic size next to a human figure. I'd find it really bizarre since GTAIV has an accurate life-size tennis court to think GTAV, the game that ACTUALLY HAS TENNIS, gets it all wrong.

We don't need to have a car in the same shot as the tennis court, we just need an assumption that these overhead views use the same resolutions in the same situations. If you cut and paste cars from Michael's "level one departure" top-down view they'll be to scale with the tennis court in Franklin's "level one departure" top-down view.

user posted image
I did not resize any GTAV elements in this comparison, only rotated. The cars are cut and paste from the similar view of Michael's house at their original size. The GTAIV tennis court and car are sized to match the GTAV tennis court. EDIT: I didn't change the size of the GTAIV relative to the GTAIV tennis court either.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:59 AM Edited by deffpony, 17 July 2013 - 07:12 AM.

Ok so I think I can safely say that using the cars as a reference is a bad idea. I rescaled my tennis courts with the car scaled to the other smaller car in the parking lot and I got this.

user posted image

I would agree that the courts are much more accurate in determining scale. good works fellas

October16th
  • October16th

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:12 AM Edited by October16th, 17 July 2013 - 07:16 AM.

QUOTE (deffpony @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 01:59)
Magic Al, Im sorry but why would you use the car next to Michaels house, and not the one next to the tennis court. you cannot be sure that the distance from the earth is the same height in both of the shots.

Notice that I sized this car with the car in the parking lot. Why would that not give an accurate scale?

user posted image

It may not give you an accurate scale because we can't even see the car. It could be a van or something else for all we know. It honestly is just a black spec, and it seems slightly wider than the car from GTA IV.

I like Magic Al's comparison. We can actually see the car that's being compared. The two cars are also identical too, and seem to be the same size. Also, Al brought up a good point; why would GTA IV have an accurate life size tennis court and GTA V have a smaller court that is visibly identical in every way? I don't see why Rockstar would downsize an already perfect tennis court, yet that's what your comparison is implying which I find hard to believe honestly.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

I edited my post^^^ check it out

October16th
  • October16th

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:18 AM Edited by October16th, 17 July 2013 - 07:21 AM.

QUOTE (deffpony @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 02:13)
I edited my post^^^ check it out

Glad you see it from our viewpoint. Just wondering, now that we agree the tennis courts are the same size wouldn't that mean the size of LS can be determined without a doubt? Just measure the court in IV and use those measurements to determine the size of LS, right?

We should find out how much time it takes to run from one side of the court to the other in IV. Afterwards, line up accurately sized courts on the blueprint map from one end of LS to the other. Multiply the time the travel distance took by the number of courts. Then you have the approximate time it takes to traverse one side of the city to the other.

WolfbackGames
  • WolfbackGames

Keep things real.

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 06:59)
Ok so I think I can safely say that using the cars as a reference is a bad idea. I rescaled my tennis courts with the car scaled to the other smaller car in the parking lot and I got this.

user posted image

I would agree that the courts are much more accurate in determining scale. good works fellas

This looks pretty reliable. Now that we know this, like I've stated earlier, we should very easily be able to find the exact scale of the city.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:32 AM Edited by deffpony, 17 July 2013 - 07:37 AM.

Working on a scale now...

f*ck I had it and my computer crashed. sorry guys, I have to get some school work done but the scale I obtained with the tennis courts was very close to those. LC was a bit larger. Tomorrow I will put the scale together if no one else does.

user posted image

K20
  • K20

Woooo-rah

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

if anything LC is the same size as LS.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:51 AM Edited by GTAaLEX117, 17 July 2013 - 08:55 AM.

QUOTE (kb2084 @ Wednesday, Jul 17 2013, 08:43)
if anything LC is the same size as LS.

Well judging from most of the comparisons around here, we can say for certain that LS is at least the same size as LC, if not bigger. I think we've ruled out the fact that it might be smaller.

Also, I've told you guys that comparing car widths isn't accurate. You only needed to look at this:
http://i.imgur.com/a87Qiea.jpg

Good work nonetheless!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users