Photo

Map Size Thread

8,295 replies to this topic
omer19992010
  • omer19992010

Grove Street OG

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (Fail_At_GTA @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 05:17)
Los Santos was confirmed to be just a tiny bit smaller than Liberty City. You can view the Mapping Los Santos thread which confirms it even more.

/thread

Nobody said that.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

http://fineartameric...tle-dredge.html

Going by the image of the Los Angeles skyline above, Los Santos don't look so big for an area that is supposed to be bigger than the maps of GTA IV, San Andreas and RDR combined. And I'm not too pleased by the quite modest amount of skyscrapers I can see on the LS skyline in the game. Surely Rockstar should or will add more skyscrapers than that ? If GTA V's map is supposed to be huge as Rockstar claim it is, then I would have expected them to make a second city at least, like a fictional San Diego of San Francisco (San Fierro). I really hope LS is gonna be much bigger than it looks in those images, because so far right now, Rockstar's 'huge' map claims are not convincing me right now.

At least with GTA IV, Liberty City looked big and it ultimately was a very big city to explore, just like New York City in real life. Rockstar definitely got that very much right for most part, as far as size goes.

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:17 PM

^
The wording was off in the GI article, but I think it was pretty obvious that they were referring the map as a whole when they said how big it was, not Los Santos alone. Just because Los Santos is small doesn't mean the rest of the map shrinks with it. The truth is that most of the map will be countryside.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Boss7dm @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 03:18)
i think i saw a interview to Dan Houser and he said Los Santos will be the same size of Bohan+Broker+Dukes , is true?

My nigga... You need to leave the drugs alone...

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Darko @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:17)
^
The wording was off in the GI article, but I think it was pretty obvious that they were referring the map as a whole when they said how big it was, not Los Santos alone. Just because Los Santos is small doesn't mean the rest of the map shrinks with it. The truth is that most of the map will be countryside.

I know this already bro, I read that from the previews.

Read my post again. I stated that if the WHOLE map itself in GTA V is supposed to be bigger than all those 3 Rockstar games combined, then in my view Los Santos city should look bigger than it looks now in the latest screenshots, even without the countryside. At the very least the skyline should be much bigger than that, with more skyscrapers. Right now, it's not looking like a very big LS to me, not like how I would expect it to look.

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:23 PM

But like I said, Los Santos being small doesn't mean that the information given about the entire map's size is a lie. The proportion just isn't to your liking.

TheJasonGallant
  • TheJasonGallant

Random Player

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:25 PM Edited by TheJasonGallant, 09 April 2013 - 08:29 PM.

How can you get such ideas? I mean, you haven't seen it all! The game is not released yet, when it will, then complain about it. But you won't have to because the map will be huge.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:22)
QUOTE (Mr. Darko @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:17)
^

I know this already bro, I read that from the previews.

Read my post again. I stated that if the WHOLE map itself in GTA V is supposed to be bigger than all those 3 Rockstar games combined, then in my view Los Santos city should look bigger than it looks now in the latest screenshots, even without the countryside. At the very least the skyline should be much bigger than that, with more skyscrapers. Right now, it's not looking like a very big LS to me, not like how I would expect it to look.

How can you tell how big the map is just buy looking at los santos?

Ciaran
  • Ciaran

• The Connection
  • Ireland
  • Contribution Award [GTA Online]

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

I think GI said that LS is Roughly the size of LC, and it takes over 15 minutes from the City Center to the Countryside

Mr. Darko
  • Mr. Darko

My lies are better.

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:27)
How can you tell how big the map is just buy looking at los santos?

To be fair, people defending Los Santos's size are doing the same thing. Ultimately, we won't really know either way until we play the game. What really matters is how it feels. I think I'll be fine with it, especially since I'm more looking forward to the countryside and desert, but not everyone will.

dukee152
  • dukee152

Thug

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:30 PM

there was nothing wrong with the size of liberty city it was big enough.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:33 PM Edited by Official General, 09 April 2013 - 08:36 PM.

QUOTE (Mr. Darko @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:23)
But like I said, Los Santos being small doesn't mean that the information given about the entire map's size is a lie. The proportion just isn't to your liking.

You're still either missing the point or you just do not understand what I'm trying to say here.

I did not say the official information about the map was lie at all. I am NOT saying that the map will not be as big as Rockstar claim it is. It probably will be, they said it will, they are the ones making the game, they would know best, so yeah I believe that the whole map in GTA V will be bigger than GTA IV, RDR and SA combined. I believe that, now are you clear on that ? I'm gonna assume you are, good.

Now moving on, what I'm saying is that if Rockstar have claimed that the whole map in V is gonna be as huge as they say it is, then I would expect LS to look a bit bigger than it looks in those pics. To me, Rockstar's claims about a huge map do not match up with how big LS looks in the images. That is what I was saying.

I'm not talking about the map not looking so big as I expect it to, I'm referring to the city only.

@ RedXIII

Please read my posts properly, I'm not gonna answer your question because I did not say what you believe I said in the first place.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

I'm genuinely concerned about the size of the city. While we haven't seen all of the city the implications are that it isn't that big. The mapping Los santos thread seems very accurate and I would say the city might barely be the same size as LC.

CryptReaperDorian
  • CryptReaperDorian

Boss

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:36 PM

If Los Santos is roughly the size of GTA IV's map, then it'll probably feel like GTA IV has a larger map (when it comes to the city portions). For instance, GTA VC (supposedly) has a larger map than GTA III, but GTA III's map actually feels a bit larger due to its separation into three major islands instead of two major islands. If I recall correctly, then GTA V's entire map will be open from the beginning since just about everything will probably be connected by land.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:43 PM

@Official Genenral "I really hope LS is gonna be much bigger than it looks in those images, because so far right now, Rockstar's 'huge' map claims are not convincing me right now."

Your implying that whole map is going to be small because los santos looks small?

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

I posted this vid in another thread. If the San Fernando Valley portion of Los Angeles is also featured, then we've seen maybe only 2/3rds of Los Santos. See for yourselves how far northwest the city extends beyond the Hollywood Sign and Griffith Observatory...

As you can plainly see, real life L.A. doesn't end at the Santa Monica Mountains (which is what all the "LS is small" folk are assuming).

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:43)
@Official Genenral "I really hope LS is gonna be much bigger than it looks in those images, because so far right now, Rockstar's 'huge' map claims are not convincing me right now."

Your implying that whole map is going to be small because los santos looks small?

No, I meant JUST LOS SANTOS.

Can you not read at all ? Stop acting like a dumb wasteman who can't read. Read my earlier where I clarified what I meant.

EDIT : Since you wanna act dumb I'll simplify this for you. I think that Los Santos city ONLY looks a bit small from what I can see in those images. That is essentially it.

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:50 PM Edited by Red XIII, 09 April 2013 - 08:52 PM.

QUOTE (Official General @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:46)

Can you not read at all ? Stop acting like a dumb wasteman who can't read. Read my earlier where I clarified what I meant.

EDIT : Since you wanna act dumb I'll simplify this for you. I think that Los Santos city ONLY looks a bit small from what I can see in those images. That is essentially it.

Well then in that case rockstar did not claim that los santos would be huge, they meant the whole map. Its your f*cking wording that is dumb mate.

edit: everyone of your sentences contradicts each other.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:50 PM

You may some good points Official.

I see it like this. The way LS is sized (as we have so far seen) is almost on the cusp of being 'acceptable' for most people. As it stands, and the fact we have waited for 5 years for a new city, it just seems a little half baked.

Yes the countryside is great and all but R* are undermiming their own vision by creating a very odd sized LS/LA. The beach is just too damned close to downtown. Why even bother basing it on LA ?

Its nice to have a parody of hollywood, beach culture etc and downtown, it would not however have taken much to add suburbs of a decent size just to give it that sprawling LA flavour.

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:55 PM

Ill expand on what I said before. Its CONFIRMED Los Santos is bigger than Liberty City. I don't remember the source (It was probably GI or an interview shortly after that) but the downtown area of Los Santos is smaller, but overall Los Santos covers more square millage.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 08:56 PM Edited by Official General, 09 April 2013 - 08:59 PM.

QUOTE (Red XIII @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:50)

Well then in that case rockstar did not claim that los santos would be huge, they meant the whole map. Its your f*cking wording that is dumb mate.

That is just my point, you idiot. If the whole map is gonna be so huge, then Los Santos should be much bigger to than it looks now in the images we've seen so far. But right now so far, it does not look that big in accordance with the whole map, and that is the problem I and others have highlighted.

A very big, single city within a huge whole map is what I hoped to see, but it looks like a slightly larger than medium city withing a huge map, which to me is not good enough. But note, I said, so far from what I have seen.

Not hard to understand now is it ?

@ GKP

Thanks. Your thoughts are mine exactly icon14.gif

@ Fail_At_GTA

Believe me, I sure hope you are right. But right now I'm not convinced from what I've seen.

Fail_At_GTA
  • Fail_At_GTA

Actually awesome at GTA

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:03 PM

"Itís not just large -- the city of Los Santos alone is comparable in size to the whole of Liberty City."

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:05 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:56)
QUOTE (Red XIII @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 20:50)

That is just my point, you idiot. If the whole map is gonna be so huge, then Los Santos should be much bigger to than it looks now in the images we've seen so far. But right now so far, it does not look that big in accordance with the whole map, and that is the problem I and others have highlighted.

A very big, single city within a huge whole map is what I hoped to see, but it looks like a slightly larger than medium city withing a huge map, which to me is not good enough. But note, I said, so far from what I have seen.

Not hard to understand now is it ?

@ GKP

Thanks. Your thoughts are mine exactly icon14.gif

@ Fail_At_GTA

Believe me, I sure hope you are right. But right now I'm not convinced from what I've seen.

Then Why didn't you just say that you think los Santos isn't going to be in proportion with the rest of the map.

TBH you cant tell how big or small the city is with them screenshots, so why not wait until the game is out until you start complaining.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Fail_At_GTA @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 21:03)
"Itís not just large -- the city of Los Santos alone is comparable in size to the whole of Liberty City."

Like I said before, from what I can see from the images so far, LS in GTA V does not look as big as should be, if you did not hear me the first time around. I don't even think it looks as big as Liberty City in GTA IV right now. Rockstar can say whatever they want, I'm talking about how it looks to me in the actual images so far.

@ RedXIII

I said this before in my earlier comments, you just chose not to read them properly.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 13:45)
How can ppl see the above pics are KID themselves into thinking we are getting anything other than a pretty small city. Its seemingly hardly any larger than LS in SA !...perhaps 30% larger. The fk is with that !...I might go on about this but apologists are just as bad.

GKP, I've noticed that all you seem to.care about is the size of the city. Nothing else - in other words, quantity over quality. Just be glad we're getting what we're getting. We could be getting a large repititious city rather than a nicely detailed LC sized city. You're so damned ungrateful it baffles me.

@OG, don't even comment, like I care if I am a sheriff or whatever the hell you'll call me.

DryJohnson45
  • DryJohnson45

Poet to the dumb

• BUSTED!

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (billy james @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 11:00)
QUOTE (kricco @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 21:57)
It was said that Los Santos would be the size of San Andreas, GTA IV and RDR map, which was news from GI and even R*.

TC meant the Los Santos the city, not the actual map

They also ment including the altitude of the map. Everyone isn't taking that into account. How high we can go and how far will be the same as how far we could go in SA, RDR, and IV

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

British and Proud!

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 21:06)
QUOTE (GKP @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 13:45)
How can ppl see the above pics are KID themselves into thinking we are getting anything other than a pretty small city. Its seemingly hardly any larger than LS in SA !...perhaps 30% larger. The fk is with that !...I might go on about this but apologists are just as bad.

GKP, I've noticed that all you seem to.care about is the size of the city.

That and the frame rate issues that GTAV is 'sure to have' according to him

Official General
  • Official General

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:14 PM Edited by Official General, 09 April 2013 - 09:20 PM.

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 21:06)
@OG, don't even comment, like I care if I am a sheriff or whatever the hell you'll call me.

Ha ha !! Nah, you said nothing in your last comment that should evoke that kind of response from me. As long you don't do that sheriff/peacemaker stuff with me, I could not care less.

But I don't think you should be calling GKP ungrateful though. I mean it's not you that actually made the game, is it ? As a Rockstar customer, he has the right to complain that his purchased product may not live up to his expectations. If LS turns out be smaller than we imagined it to be, then all of us concerned with the size have a valid reason to be 'ungrateful' and disappointed.

If you don't like something you bought from someone or some company you should voice your displeasure, not suck their asses and just accept it.

@ DryJohnson45

Sorry, but all that altitude stuff don't mean sh*t to me if the city of LS is not big enough. I'm very happy that we're getting deep underwater and mountain environments, but right now it's city's size I'm concerned with here.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:18 PM Edited by GKP, 09 April 2013 - 09:27 PM.

Kifflom, thats just it...ironically I know the rest of the game will be excellent ..its the size that for me, affects the believability of being in a big city.

A 45 second drive from mission briefing to bank robbery or assassination mission (in the city missions) is just a bit of a copout and something the series has suffered from for 15 years.

Red - actually I am of the opinion that V will be smoother and have less microstuttering than IV. The 2nd trailer looks good.

You know one day a company will have the balls to produce a real life LA in a game. The tech from Luxoflux ( now defunct) mapped real life sat data and created an enormous metropolis (True Crime) . No the dynamics of the game weren't that good (animations etc) but the scale !...your bored !you say your supposed to be playing a gangster with patience, guile, character and maturity and you cant drive for 15 minutes to a mission !

A corporate goliath with shareholders and an impatient prepubescent fan base will always cater for the majority, the ignorant ie COD playing 'average' gamers. People who play sim type games or who are older WOULD love a giant , true scale city to explore. I want to get lost and I do not want novelty or excitement around every corner. Repetitive , anonymous streets are the heart of US cities and 'skipping' that content is a shame as its the SCALE of US cities that give them their soul.

Real life city sizes WILL be the future.

J-B
  • J-B

Syrup Drenched

• Members
  • United-Nations

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:34 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 15:18)
Real life city sizes WILL be the future.

Yes, they will be... when the console hardware catches up and development techniques evolve enough to make creating such scale practical(and avoiding the "uncanny valley"). Until then, we're gonna have to be content with what we have.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users