Map Size Thread

8,295 replies to this topic
dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 23:01)
The LAX Theme Building is represented in GTA San Andreas at slightly reduced size. If we assume it returns in GTAV at full size, the map can be scaled based on that. Let's assume the GTAV version would NOT be significantly bigger than the real building because that would waste space.

user posted image

Based on that and the known scales of previous games, here are game maps shown to scale with each other and the real Los Angeles. If GTAV's LAX Theme Building is smaller than the real one, then the size of the blueprint would shrink accordingly.

user posted image

That is a good scale, now we know that LS is larger then LC.

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:35 AM

QUOTE (dyz @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 01:39)
QUOTE (Magic_Al @ Sunday, Jun 30 2013, 23:01)
The LAX Theme Building is represented in GTA San Andreas at slightly reduced size.  If we assume it returns in GTAV at full size, the map can be scaled based on that.  Let's assume the GTAV version would NOT be significantly bigger than the real building because that would waste space.

user posted image

Based on that and the known scales of previous games, here are game maps shown to scale with each other and the real Los Angeles. If GTAV's LAX Theme Building is smaller than the real one, then the size of the blueprint would shrink accordingly.

user posted image

That is a good scale, now we know that LS is larger then LC.

very good work! los santos is indeed much larger than gta 4

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:54 AM

QUOTE (kjacked @ Monday, Jul 1 2013, 21:35)
los santos is indeed much larger than gta 4

If you believe that, why won't you take my bet?

http://www.gtaforums...entry1062683910

lightningun
  • lightningun

...Rage...

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE (Choco Taco @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 03:54)

You seem to be the only one that still doesn't think ls is bigger than lc, looking at the maps LC appears bigger because it has smaller streets and more city blocks which are also smaller and more condensed, plus it is separated by water. This scale I made is not exact but I don't think it's too off.
user posted image
user posted image
I went off the length of the runways as going off the width of streets would be difficult because LC streets are much thinner than LS streets, and the city blocks in LS are much bigger and spread out tha LC

And I also think this guy did a great job putting the sheer size of the city compare to people looks like
Wikidjester's work
Taking this shot of the three of them atop the Tower:

user posted image

...cutting them out of the picture and attempting to re-size them to fit the scale of another place like, say, Vespucci Beach:

user posted image

...or more recently, the shot of Griffith Observatory:

user posted image

...I think people should get it through their thick skulls the sense of scale and scope GTAV will have to offer us.

LAPD 85
  • LAPD 85

The Cop

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:47 AM

Some of these scale pics are laughable. It's hilarious that people eat this stuff right up. Anything they can do to prove that LS is bigger than LC. It just simply is not the case, LC is larger than LS. I'll do whatever everyone else is doing and make a map and cut the water out of LC (Because it's water isn't a playable area and doesn't count! Right guys?!) and skew it to fit the agenda that LC is bigger than LS.

brian.
  • brian.

Possible Descendant Of Kraff

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:51 AM

The circle, the road there that comprises the circle, on the blueprint GTA V map part, is precisely 10 meters wide. No thinner, no wider. Now you can scale the entire map nearly perfectly monocle.gif

user posted image

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:05 AM

ive asked you more than once to bet me $100. los santos is bigger than the entire landmass of gta iv. if you think otherwise and would like to wager $100 of your alllowance then all you have to do is say so.

KrushLTx10
  • KrushLTx10

Speedy and Slightly Agitated

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:27 AM

One side is going to heavily disappointed when we actually find out how big Los Santos is. As is the case with every argument. There's proof for both sides on this one. I find it funny how the proof for LS being bigger than LC is coming a tad bit late than the proof of LS being bigger/same size as LC. Just wait and see. Hey maybe tomorrow's our lucky day and R* goes into specifics about the map. Or we get jack sh*t and more people talk about the game being delayed.

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:33 AM

QUOTE (kjacked @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 06:05)

ive asked you more than once to bet me $100. los santos is bigger than the entire landmass of gta iv. if you think otherwise and would like to wager $100 of your alllowance then all you have to do is say so.

Would you agree to the border that he created?

If you're going to make a bet you have to come to an understanding about the terms.

What is included within "Los Santos" ?

Otherwise both sides could add or subtract areas to try to make their case.

Not that it would actually matter anyway as no exchange of money is actually going to happen regardless...

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:39 AM

QUOTE (kjacked @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 00:05)

ive asked you more than once to bet me $100. los santos is bigger than the entire landmass of gta iv.

You really must have brain damage. I've told you multiple times that you have to show the boundary of Los Santos. Your bet is meaningless until you do that. So, get the blueprint picture and show exactly which areas that you consider Los Santos.

It's funny how you claim that Los Santos is much bigger than GTA IV, but you won't take my bet. It's obvious to everyone that you're scared.

Anyway, we're waiting for your picture that shows the boundary of Los Santos.

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

I just hope that each individual area is big enough to allow you to spend some time driving through it...

That is I hope that the Beverly Hills/Slums/Suburbs/Farming Community/Sandy Shores areas are each
big enough that you can drive through them without immediately being on the other side. I'm sure that
as a whole the world will be big, but I hope that each of these neighborhoods/environments have a good
size to them as well.

Each of those areas seems fun to me. Lots of opportunity, I just hope that they didn't cut short any of
those areas too much to give extra time to another area.

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:58 AM Edited by kjacked, 02 July 2013 - 07:41 AM.

we are on gta forums.... no one here is scared. its the internet. what exactly would i be scared of anyways? you gonna kick my ass? take my lunch money? take my birthday away? no... no i didnt think so! sigh.gif

the bet you asked about the other day said four square miles. the landmass of gta iv is actually less than four miles... hence why my bet offer was los santos is bigger than the entire area of gta iv. you know its bigger which is why you are throwing arbitrary numbers around now. also, you excluded a large area on the east side of los santos. we dont know what that area is yet, it could be a residential area that is in fact part of los santos. until you can show me what that part you excluded is i will not agree on your bullsh*t boundary because you could be leaving out a decent sized portion of los santos.

also, no matter how big of a douche you are choco... just remember... jesus loves you! icon14.gif
user posted image

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (kjacked @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 06:58)
QUOTE (GlitzyTomb @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 06:33)
QUOTE (kjacked @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 06:05)

Would you agree to the border that he created?

If you're going to make a bet you have to come to an understanding about the terms.

What is included within "Los Santos" ?

Otherwise both sides could add or subtract areas to try to make their case.

Not that it would actually matter anyway as no exchange of money is actually going to happen regardless...

we are on gta forums.... no one here is scared. its the internet. what exactly would i be scared of anyways? you gonna kick my ass? take my lunch money? take my birthday away? no... no i didnt think so! sigh.gif

the bet you asked about the other day said four square miles. the landmass of gta iv is actually less than four miles... hence why my bet offer was los santos is bigger than the entire area of gta iv. you know its bigger which is why you are throwing arbitrary numbers around now. also, you excluded a large area on the east side of los santos. we dont know what that area is yet, it could be a residential area that is in fact part of los santos. until you can show me what that part you excluded is i will not agree on your bullsh*t boundary because you could be leaving out a decent sized portion of los santos.

also, no matter how big of a douche you are choco... just remember... jesus loves you! icon14.gif
user posted image

I don't know why you quoted me....

But no one mentioned "Scared" until you did just now.

So I don't know why you felt the need to assure us that you are not scared...or who you are talking to.

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

i started to respond to you and then saw chocos post... its right there below yours... can you not f*cking read? suicidal.gif

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

I can read actually. It would be quite difficult for me to participate in a forum if I were illiterate.

Forgive me for thinking that you were replying to the post that you quoted, rather than some other post which you did not quote.

You should be less rude in the future. It was you who made the mistake, not I. Perhaps you should read/type slower to avoid such incidents in the future.

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:40 AM Edited by kjacked, 02 July 2013 - 07:42 AM.

QUOTE (GlitzyTomb @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 07:36)
I can read actually.  It would be quite difficult for me to participate in a forum if I were illiterate.

Forgive me for thinking that you were replying to the post that you quoted, rather than some other post which you did not quote.

You should be less rude in the future.  It was you who made the mistake, not I.  Perhaps you should read/type slower to avoid such incidents in the future.

perhaps you should read the thread you are posting in before you go saying a bunch of stupid sh*t

i fixed it, you can wipe your tears away now

GlitzyTomb
  • GlitzyTomb

Homie

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Screw it, not worth it.

I wonder what, if anything, Dan Houser was referring to when he was talking about being dragged down the hall being whipped if he said the wrong thing.

Is Los Santos significantly bigger than what we have seen thus far, are there a number of small towns (like a significant number like 6 or 7), is the wilderness area North of what we've seen thus far just crazily expansive?

Or was he just adding some ambiguity to his answer to rile up the fans and get us all speculating.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:24 AM Edited by GTAaLEX117, 02 July 2013 - 08:26 AM.

QUOTE (LAPD 85 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 05:47)
Some of these scale pics are laughable.  It's hilarious that people eat this stuff right up.  Anything they can do to prove that LS is bigger than LC.  It just simply is not the case, LC is larger than LS.  I'll do whatever everyone else is doing and make a map and cut the water out of LC (Because it's water isn't a playable area and doesn't count! Right guys?!) and skew it to fit the agenda that LC is bigger than LS.

I think the amount of people claiming that LC was bigger had been drastically reduced after the last wave of comparisons hit this thread. Nevertheless, I will re-post mine since I can't find any real problem with it and is based on more than just eyeballing:

user posted image

I'll also leave it to you do decide if LC should be even smaller than that considering that the LC highway is much smaller than the LS highway with the extra large median and shoulders.

Mr. Cozzarelli
  • Mr. Cozzarelli

Thug

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 09:24)
I'll also leave it to you do decide if LC should be even smaller than that considering that the LC highway is much smaller than the LS highway with the extra large median and shoulders.

Yeah, the more I look at the maps, the more I think that we got fooled by the decreased amount of roads and intersections in LS compared to LC.

It seems that Los Santos has some huge-ass blocks.

TheNextGTAprotag
  • TheNextGTAprotag

GTA fiend

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 08:24)
I think the amount of people claiming that LC was bigger had been drastically reduced after the last wave of comparisons hit this thread. Nevertheless, I will re-post mine since I can't find any real problem with it and is based on more than just eyeballing:

user posted image

this icon14.gif

First thing i've seen that fully makes sense.

That highway in LS is massive compared to LC. I would scale the LC map down further. My guess is that in general, the roads in LS will be wider and not as tight as LC

That's not even including the large section of the map that is still pure guess work

Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

This is probably a pretty dumb question that doesn't really have a whole lot to do with anything in here. And since I'm aware of that, I probably shouldn't even post it.. but:

In GTA IV, I really enjoyed all the hidden back alleys and stuff. Not only were they great for car chases and avoiding the police, but they also added a lot of atmosphere to the game. When I look at the map of Los Santos in V, I don't see a whole lot of alleys and stuff. So here's the stupid part of my question: Is the whole thing with alleys between buildings a New York thing and not really something they do in Los Angeles? I'm just a silly European, so I don't know a whole lot about this. I'd love for the many sweet alleyways to return, but if they don't actually have that in LA, I guess their absence would make sense.

Anyone know this?

KrushLTx10
  • KrushLTx10

Speedy and Slightly Agitated

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:00 AM Edited by KrushLTx10, 02 July 2013 - 10:03 AM.

QUOTE (Punk Noodles @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 09:47)
This is probably a pretty dumb question that doesn't really have a whole lot to do with anything in here. And since I'm aware of that, I probably shouldn't even post it.. but:

In GTA IV, I really enjoyed all the hidden back alleys and stuff. Not only were they great for car chases and avoiding the police, but they also added a lot of atmosphere to the game. When I look at the map of Los Santos in V, I don't see a whole lot of alleys and stuff. So here's the stupid part of my question: Is the whole thing with alleys between buildings a New York thing and not really something they do in Los Angeles? I'm just a silly European, so I don't know a whole lot about this. I'd love for the many sweet alleyways to return, but if they don't actually have that in LA, I guess their absence would make sense.

Anyone know this?

Well LA doesn't have a dense downtown skyline like NY. Therefore we won't see many alleys that are inbetween big buildings. But we will see alleys. Alleys that are inbetween houses/smaller buildings. They won't give the same feeling of being enclosed on all sides except front to back. Instead of just checking front to back you'll be able to see into the sky as well. But there probably will be less of them since it's very spread out and open this time around.

Punk Noodles
  • Punk Noodles

Playa

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

QUOTE (KrushLTx10 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 10:00)
QUOTE (Punk Noodles @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 09:47)

Anyone know this?

Well LA doesn't have a dense downtown skyline like NY. Therefore we won't see many alleys that are inbetween big buildings. But we will see alleys. Alleys that are inbetween houses/smaller buildings. They won't give the same feeling of being enclosed on all sides except front to back. Instead of just checking front to back you'll be able to see into the sky as well. But there probably will be less of them since it's very spread out and open this time around.

Wow.. I had no idea why I didn't think of that. Thanks for the quick reply!

freakydude20
  • freakydude20

Trick

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

So I was looking through some comments at the Rockstar Newswire, when I found this:

http://1.bp.blogspot...21-22-47-14.bmp

And this:

http://1.bp.blogspot... 21-22-21-60.bm

So while looking at these pictures and screenshots from GTA V, you can say it is going to be huuuuuge. wink.gif

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

QUOTE (freakydude20 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 10:29)
So I was looking through some comments at the Rockstar Newswire, when I found this:

http://1.bp.blogspot...21-22-47-14.bmp

And this:

http://1.bp.blogspot... 21-22-21-60.bm

So while looking at these pictures and screenshots from GTA V, you can say it is going to be huuuuuge. wink.gif

very nice! los santos looks huge compared to these. san andreas was scaled down a ton.

@gtalex117, very nice comparison. i think its painfully obvious that you could still reduce lc's size by quite a bit since those street are nowhere near the same size but that is a perfect example of how much bigger los santos is gonna be.

1PunchKnockOut
  • 1PunchKnockOut

I'd shag your mum on the 1st day

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 08:24)
QUOTE (LAPD 85 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 05:47)
Some of these scale pics are laughable.  It's hilarious that people eat this stuff right up.  Anything they can do to prove that LS is bigger than LC.  It just simply is not the case, LC is larger than LS.  I'll do whatever everyone else is doing and make a map and cut the water out of LC (Because it's water isn't a playable area and doesn't count! Right guys?!) and skew it to fit the agenda that LC is bigger than LS.

user posted image

No its not, the red circle on the LS side is the exact same size as the LC one its a 4 lane (2 either way) raised highway above the highway below which is accurately represented on the map as having 4 lanes either way, the scale looks the exact same so I dont WTF you're on about.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (1PunchKnockOut @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 17:38)
No its not, the red circle on the LS side is the exact same size as the LC one its a 4 lane (2 either way) raised highway above the highway below which is accurately represented on the map as having 4 lanes either way, the scale looks the exact same so I dont WTF you're on about.

Wait, what? The red circle doesn't matter, I just put it in there so people know which highway I'm talking about.
The reason I said that LC can be even smaller than this is because the highway in IV has a very small median between the lanes (the one in V is about as large as a whole lane), plus the LC one lacks the shoulders (the areas on the outside of the main lanes, which are also about as big as a whole lane).

1PunchKnockOut
  • 1PunchKnockOut

I'd shag your mum on the 1st day

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 17:44)

Wait, what? The red circle doesn't matter, I just put it in there so people know which highway I'm talking about.
The reason I said that LC can be even smaller than this is because the highway in IV has a very small median between the lanes (the one in V is about as large as a whole lane), plus the LC one lacks the shoulders (the areas on the outside of the main lanes, which are also about as big as a whole lane).

Even if you're right its not as if the size difference is THAT big, roads being a little bit wider than they were in LC isn't gonna make much of a difference to the size of the city, more roads is what makes a difference and unfortunately its looking pretty even right about now.

If this was a court case and you were representing R* against some form of map size lawsuit everyone at R* would be in jail right now.

kjacked
  • kjacked

soldier

• BUSTED!

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

QUOTE (1PunchKnockOut @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 18:36)

Even if you're right its not as if the size difference is THAT big, roads being a little bit wider than they were in LC isn't gonna make much of a difference to the size of the city, more roads is what makes a difference and unfortunately its looking pretty even right about now.

If this was a court case and you were representing R* against some form of map size lawsuit everyone at R* would be in jail right now.

says some smartass from the u.k. sigh.gif

everyone has their own opinion. quit acting like everyone has to share yours. in the span of two posts you went from saying they are the same size and he was wrong to saying he was probably right but it doesnt matter!lol

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

QUOTE (1PunchKnockOut @ Tuesday, Jul 2 2013, 18:36)

Well the road size is proportional to the size of the map. If the road is 30% bigger, the whole map will also be 30% bigger.
I'd go with bigger roads over more of them to be honest, more space to speed through rather than change direction every 10 seconds (just look at IV's grid like pattern).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users