» «
Photo

Map Size Thread

8,295 replies to this topic
Emeritus
  • Emeritus

RDF President For Life

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:31 PM Edited by Emeritus, 24 May 2013 - 05:35 PM.

QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:29)
QUOTE (Emeritus @ Friday, May 24 2013, 18:26)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:15)
QUOTE (Emeritus @ Friday, May 24 2013, 18:12)
QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:08)
@Emeritus Nothing wrong with my grammar. There is something wrong with your logics however.

They, as in the people with a critical eye only criticize the size of Los Santos, that what this whole thread is about.

Off-topic gibberish.

Let's just get back on topic, shall we. This is no debate about grammar nor punctuation.

Then why do you continue to point out other people's typos?

And I made a point to explain how you just demonstrated how ignorant you can be to objective facts when they run contradictory to whatever it is you want to believe. Your "critical eye" needs some tweaking.

SuccessPastaTime
  • SuccessPastaTime

Snitch

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:31 PM

user posted image

Haha, BHC at it again!

You guys are true patriots.

But, in all reality, your argument and views are completely valid, but the feeling of satisfaction with the city size is all relative. I understand your point was dissatisfaction that the city will be smaller then LC, but come on, you guys went from "It's what my eyes see." , to "We are correct and all of you should be ashamed."

I kind of agree with you guys, but you got pretty childish with the whole RDF thing. Not trying to say that people wern't just as childish and immature towards you guys too, but you should have been the better man in it all.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

[QUOTE=Emeritus,Friday, May 24 2013, 18:31] [QUOTE=Raavi,Friday, May 24 2013, 17:29] [QUOTE=Emeritus,Friday, May 24 2013, 18:26] [QUOTE=Raavi,Friday, May 24 2013, 17:15][QUOTE=Emeritus,Friday, May 24 2013, 18:12] [QUOTE=Raavi,Friday, May 24 2013, 17:08] @Emeritus Nothing wrong with my grammar. There is something wrong with your logics however. [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]They, as in the people with a critical eye only criticize the size of Los Santos, that what this whole thread is about.[/QUOTE]

Off-topic gibberish. [/QUOTE]
Let's just get back on topic, shall we. This is no debate about grammar nor punctuation. [/QUOTE]

And I made a point to explain how you just demonstrated how ignorant you can be to objective facts. Your "critical eye" needs some tweaking. [/QUOTE]
You are aware that sentences can be worded in various ways? The only typo I made whas 'that' instead of 'that's'. This discussion is about critical eye on screenshots and the map, not on grammar.

SiR R.i.P.P.E.R.
  • SiR R.i.P.P.E.R.

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

Guys, seeing the blimp screenshot, the roadss at the cul-de-sacs are 2 lanes/direction, about as wide as the main road of Alderney.
Most LC roads are 1/per. That means that the size of most LS roads visible on the blueprint is double that of LC's. The size of LS should be roughly that of LC, if not just a bit bigger.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE (deffpony @ Friday, May 24 2013, 05:39)
Ok, here is my attempt to get a good scale of LS. We know that the empire state building is scaled 1:1, and I think its safe to assume the LS Bank tower is also scaled 1:1.

I first proportionately placed a 1:1 scale of the Bank Tower on the appropriate location of the blueprint map.

user posted image

user posted image

You can notice in the skydive shot that the tower has a moderate amount of room between the street and the base. I accounted for the space when placing the model on the map.

Then I added a 1:1 3d model of LC. The empire state building and LS bank tower are both scaled 1:1 so comparing them should be accuarate. The variances will lie in whether the bank tower is placed on the map correctly.

user posted image

user posted image

I double checked everything because LS seemed far too small but this is as accurate as possible using the two buildings as a reference. However, in my final scale comparison I made LS 5% bigger to account for any errors I may have made.

user posted image

user posted image

On paper this should be accurate, but the city seems ridiculously small. What do you guys think??

I really think this is the best comparison. Not because I made it but because the scale of the buildings is the most trustworthy reference.

Emeritus
  • Emeritus

RDF President For Life

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:35)
[QUOTE=Emeritus,Friday, May 24 2013, 18:31] [QUOTE=Raavi,Friday, May 24 2013, 17:29] [QUOTE=Emeritus,Friday, May 24 2013, 18:26] [QUOTE=Raavi,Friday, May 24 2013, 17:15][QUOTE=Emeritus,Friday, May 24 2013, 18:12] [QUOTE=Raavi,Friday, May 24 2013, 17:08] @Emeritus Nothing wrong with my grammar. There is something wrong with your logics however. [/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]They, as in the people with a critical eye only criticize the size of Los Santos, that what this whole thread is about.[/QUOTE]

Off-topic gibberish. [/QUOTE]
Let's just get back on topic, shall we. This is no debate about grammar nor punctuation. [/QUOTE]

And I made a point to explain how you just demonstrated how ignorant you can be to objective facts. Your "critical eye" needs some tweaking. [/QUOTE]
You are aware that sentences can be worded in various ways? The only typo I made whas 'that' instead of 'that's'. This discussion is about critical eye on screenshots and the map, not on grammar.

There were multiple things wrong with that sentence. Once again you're denying the truth because it's not what you want it to be.

Vice Beach
  • Vice Beach

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

user posted image

icandothisallday
  • icandothisallday

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:19)
After looking at the evidence, it appears LS is quite small, disappointing enough. I was expecting a little bigger after all the dev time. Not only that, the map just isn't right, in more ways than one. I don't understand how R* approached this thing this time. It should be fargin' huge, especially the suburbs, but they just aren't there. Do I smell another delay so R* can add this? noinch. small map = epic fail no matter how detailed, or how many features, cars, and weapons there are. What would be the purpose of fighter jets if all we can do is cruise over the ocean and buzz LS? LOL

I really hope that this is just a scheme by R*,--to make us think it's small, then when V comes out, it is a monster, and we all faint with pants full of jizzicum. fingers crossed that R* didn't drop the ball

(oh, and this is just my opinion and if you don't like it, suck it)

epic fail??? really? if you consider a company whos business it is to sell videogames making one of the top selling videogames of all times a fail then i guess youre a little dumber than i thought. it is the biggest game they have ever made. all the fanboys talk about how big s.a. was, or how big red dead was, or iv's rendition of nyc... its bigger than all three! they did fine! they have peaked our interest. obviously they have already won seeing as their is numerous forums where people do nothing but talk about this game 24/7 and we are all going to buy it when its available and most of us have already pre ordered it. epic fail??? wow. remember that when you hand them your money to purchase their failure of a game sigh.gif

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:44 PM Edited by Raavi, 24 May 2013 - 05:46 PM.

@Emeritus

They, as in the people with a critical eye only criticize the size of Los Santos, that what this whole thread is about.

They, as in (referring to the people with a critical eye)

only criticize the size of Los Santos (are only critical when it regards the size of the city),

that what this whole thread is about. My only typo was that instead of that's.

---

Now that we have put that sentence under a microscope- let's get back on topic, shall we?

@Deffpony I think you might be right.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (icandothisallday @ Friday, May 24 2013, 13:40)
After looking at the evidence, it appears LS is quite small, disappointing enough. I was expecting a little bigger after all the dev time. Not only that, the map just isn't right, in more ways than one. I don't understand how R* approached this thing this time. It should be fargin' huge, especially the suburbs, but they just aren't there. Do I smell another delay so R* can add this? noinch. small map = epic fail no matter how detailed, or how many features, cars, and weapons there are. What would be the purpose of fighter jets if all we can do is cruise over the ocean and buzz LS? LOL

I really hope that this is just a scheme by R*,--to make us think it's small, then when V comes out, it is a monster, and we all faint with pants full of jizzicum. fingers crossed that R* didn't drop the ball

epic fail??? really? if you consider a company whos business it is to sell videogames making one of the top selling videogames of all times a fail then i guess youre a little dumber than i thought. it is the biggest game they have ever made. all the fanboys talk about how big s.a. was, or how big red dead was, or iv's rendition of nyc... its bigger than all three! they did fine! they have peaked our interest. obviously they have already won seeing as their is numerous forums where people do nothing but talk about this game 24/7 and we are all going to buy it when its available and most of us have already pre ordered it. epic fail??? wow. remember that when you hand them your money to purchase their failure of a game sigh.gif

Nowhere did I say I wasn't gonna buy it. Just because a lot of people buy it(it's GTA afterall) doesn't mean it's gonna be great. Talk about being dumb with logic like that. If there wasn't something odd, or wrong, then why are so many questioning it? People a lot smarter than you have come to the conclusion that it's small. Deal with it.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:29)
QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Friday, May 24 2013, 13:24)

It's actually about the same size as the landmass of Liberty City. It's smaller than LC with water filler though.
Small map = fail, small city + huge map...not so much,
The purpose of jets is to fly over the map, not the city.
For some reason you seem to be confused about the terms "map" and "city".

I'm talking about what we know to exist. The city of Los Santos is unacceptably small. That's what I'm saying. Where's the sprawls? Those gotta be there, to some degree, otherwise, it just isn't believable. And when you guys start attacking each others grammar, you lose. This isn't a scientific forum. My god, why aren't we happy and stoked instead of filled with doubt? I've never seen this before now and I';ve been here for every GTA. Something happened. Why are we so critical of this game, the map? For me, I want a huge map filled with the most. I guess GTA IV is bringing this on a little.

From what we know, the city is about as big as LC. We know this from comparisons.
The sprawls are fairly small though. I'm a bit disappointed by that as well.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:49 PM

QUOTE (BrianJohnsonsBrotherCarl @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:38)
user posted image

Judging by the size of the airport runway, this seems to be fairly accurate. Good job!

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Friday, May 24 2013, 12:49)
user posted image

Judging by the size of the airport runway, this seems to be fairly accurate. Good job!

I'm sorry but runway length is not an accurate reference. Runways vary all over the world.

LAX max runway distance is 12091 ft
http://en.m.wikipedi...ational_Airport

JFK max runway length is 14511 ft

The buildings are the only objects we can be pretty much certain are scaled the same

AceHigh11
  • AceHigh11

Homie

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

@deffpony
I'm going with your theory too for the moment. Sucks though... This wasn't what I expected when they said: "LS definitely covers more square mileage than LC".

icandothisallday
  • icandothisallday

Square Civilian

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:44)

Nowhere did I say I wasn't gonna buy it. Just because a lot of people buy it(it's GTA afterall) doesn't mean it's gonna be great. Talk about being dumb with logic like that. If there wasn't something odd, or wrong, then why are so many questioning it? People a lot smarter than you have come to the conclusion that it's small. Deal with it.

first of all, you have no idea how smart i am. second of all, you are dropping money on their "failure" of a game that you have spent countless hours talking sh*t about? and im the stupid one?lol ok buddy wink.gif

Vice Beach
  • Vice Beach

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2013 - 05:59 PM

Actually after looking at it again it looks like Liberty could be scaled down even a little more on my comparison. Los Santos and and Liberty are really almost nearly the same size as far as playable area is concerned.. and I'm willing to bet LS to will have more interiors than what we had in LC. Plus the surrounding countryside.. plus the ocean floor.. this game will be both huge AND highly detailed.. I think everyone just needs to hug and return to being hyped and eternally grateful that this game is less than 4 months away. I too wish LS would have been a little bigger, but it really is not an issue for me. I'll mostly be in the mountains hunting bears with heavy weapons.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (AceHigh11 @ Friday, May 24 2013, 12:57)
@deffpony
I'm going with your theory too for the moment. Sucks though... This wasn't what I expected when they said: "LS definitely covers more square mileage than LC".

I agree. I really don't want it to be true but I can't see why my scale would be wrong.

@Brian: but how did you get the scale. What was your reference and how can you be sure it's accurate

Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

I keep seeing this image - http://i.imgur.com/ZUZHySg.jpg

and how some people think it makes the city look big.

Look at it this way - only four of those yellow circle areas can fit on each side of the Bank Tower.

user posted image

So, from the Bank Tower, if you go four of these -

user posted image

you're going to be at the beach or east mountains.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

QUOTE (deffpony @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:56)
user posted image

I'm sorry but runway length is not an accurate reference. Runways vary all over the world.

The buildings are the only objects we can be pretty much certain are scaled the same

I'm talking about the width of the runway. I think that's pretty consistent, just like the width of the roads.

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

QUOTE (deffpony @ Friday, May 24 2013, 18:56)
user posted image

Which appear to be bigger in the LC overlay. Rendering the whole estimate incorrect.

UrbanTheEmcee
  • UrbanTheEmcee

I'm that bada** n*gga yo moms warned you about.

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:01 PM

user posted image

This comparison is missing three islands.
Happiness Island, Colony Island, and Charge Island.
Those three island make up half of Bohan.
Even without them this comparison is bigger than Los Santos.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, May 24 2013, 18:00)
http://oi43.tinypic.com/2s9u5hx.jpg

Which appear to be bigger in the LC overlay. Rendering the whole estimate incorrect.

Which buildings, they are all differently sized. Are you talking about blocks?

Vice Beach
  • Vice Beach

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE (UrbanTheEmcee @ Friday, May 24 2013, 18:01)
user posted image

Nope everything is in there somewhere, I assure you. and I'm pretty sure Bohan is split in half to fit nicely into Los Santos' shape. You can see Happiness Island on the bottom left. A little bigger, a little smaller, I really do not see the big issue here. They are definitely roughly around the same size.

Deffpony
  • Deffpony

Stay Golden Ponyboy

• None

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Friday, May 24 2013, 13:00)
QUOTE (deffpony @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:56)
user posted image

I'm talking about the width of the runway. I think that's pretty consistent, just like the width of the roads.

Hmm that does make more sense. JFK and lax are both 150 ft wide.

But I still think there is too much guess work. Once again, we can be pretty certain that the buildings are both scaled one to one.

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

QUOTE (icandothisallday @ Friday, May 24 2013, 13:58)
QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ Friday, May 24 2013, 17:44)

first of all, you have no idea how smart i am. second of all, you are dropping money on their "failure" of a game that you have spent countless hours talking sh*t about? and im the stupid one?lol ok buddy wink.gif

I have a jist on how smart you are. tounge.gif

I could be as disappointed with V as I was with IV. Maybe the features will keep me from feeling that, IDK, I hope. If the map is small, it won't take long to get bored. I bought IV thinking it would be the bomb. It wasn't. I'll buy V thinking that it may not be up to par with what I wanted(and my expectations weren't that high or ridiculous). Hope I'm proven wrong and blown away. Until I see the whole map, this is where my mind is. Can you do this all day? sarcasm.gif

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Friday, May 24 2013, 19:03)

Never mind.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

user posted image

I'm fairly sure they are all in there, compressed to fit between the islands.
LS also seems to be missing the southern portion which might be Terminal island.

_L1pE_
  • _L1pE_

Hustler

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

Is there any chance there is more city down the bottom?

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:06 PM Edited by The Scottish Guy, 24 May 2013 - 06:10 PM.

Exactly. But it appears that so many in this thread are far too easily satisfied, and are prepared to accept, defend, and even praise the developers for such shortcomings.

They remind me of the fanbase of a certain annually released fps game.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 24 May 2013 - 06:08 PM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Friday, May 24 2013, 18:05)
QUOTE (GTAaLEX117 @ Friday, May 24 2013, 19:03)

Never mind.

Look at the image. The blocks in the western area are tiny, while the ones downtown are huge. The buildings, namely the skyscrapers, in those blocks are not really as big as the actual blocks, there's a lot of space between them. Look at deffpony's comparison method.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users