» «
Photo

Map Size Thread

8,295 replies to this topic
Choco Taco
  • Choco Taco

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (Kjax39 @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 21:30)
QUOTE (AlienWillHeMonsta @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 10:19)

[IMG]http://assets1.ignim...kjpg-19d2fa.jpg[IMG]

Smallest golf course of all time.

It's probably a 9 hole par 3 course.

73duster
  • 73duster

Ghetto Star

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

I can't believe so many people are taking such a negative stance on how big Los Santos may or may not be. In fact, there is a ridiculous notion that GTAIV's Liberty City is "tiny" or "dull". GTAIV's map doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets on this forum, and is quite a remarkable map in comparison to most other maps from other games. While there are larger scale maps, they don't have anywhere NEAR the complexity and level of detail that LC had.
I hadn't played GTAIV in quite some time, so I recently took a tour around the map just to reacclimate myself with the environment. I was surprised to see just how much I FORGOT existed. I found myself appreciating it more than I did the first time around. The only reason it SEEMS so small is the lack of countryside or environment that would have helped eliminate the cramped feeling of such a densely packed city.
That was something that Rockstar nailed with San Andreas, which is STILL an amazing achievement even by today's standards.

If Los Santos is anywhere NEAR the size of GTAIV's LC, I think it's pretty lame of anyone to complain about that. The screenshots are incredible, and the entire map has been officially confirmed to be as large as GTAIV, RDR AND San Andreas. If you aren't thrilled about that, then you REALLY shouldn't be playing video games at all.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Choco - I wonder what happpened to the 'fullsize golf course' mentioned in the GI interview.

R* Lie lie lie

What is ridiculous is that we have a Los Santos smaller than most individual suburbs. If your impressed by that , good luck to you.

Jonny04
  • Jonny04

Playa

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:12 AM Edited by Jonny04, 11 April 2013 - 09:17 AM.

QUOTE (GKP @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 08:57)
Choco - I wonder what happpened to the 'fullsize golf course' mentioned in the GI interview.

R* Lie lie lie

What is ridiculous is that we have a Los Santos smaller than most individual suburbs. If your impressed by that , good luck to you.

In that case it's kinda like saying we have a Liberty City smaller than most suburbs.

The facts are quite simple.

NYC is 244 sq miles.

LA is 469 sq miles.

So LC is 6.25sq miles confirmed numerous times before, and we are saying LS >= LC.

It's a bit disappointing for some I imagine, but we still fully can't be sure.

So why is it disappointing for LS, but not disappointing that LC is smaller than most suburbs??

Anyway again I ain't a hostile commenter just asking smile.gif

Also so that means LC is about 2% the size of NYC, and LS is about 1% of the size of LA. However, we have to ask ourselves especially in the LA how much of that 469 sq miles is repetitive crap that has no landmarks, no real importance that we'd even want to see it. Also I know we should have some suburbs (we probably will) but again in LA roads go for miles in one direction to house numbers in the thousands, we can't replicate that in a game.

So if you take a rough estimate (I ain't got the time to get an accurate figure until later) I would say LS would represent about 2% of LA if you remove all the areas that are not important.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:44 AM

QUOTE (GKP @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 08:57)

R* Lie lie lie

What are you blabbering on about, we haven't even seen the whole course.
We have a map the size of RDR, LC and SA. If you're not impressed by that, good luck to you.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:52 AM

I AM happy with the entire map size to be honest. Its just that LS as it stands looks to me like a spanish hillside town I have visited a few times , a beach resort not a Metropolis. LC gave off a larger feeling, it wasnt just the skyscrapers either, it just appeared bigger.

Its not a deal breaker, believe it or not, I just wish it wasn't based on the archetypal 'sprawling' city. You do understand that a smaller city means shorter car chases , a little bit of repetitiveness is like the real life LA and allows for a more gradual subtle change from one area to the next.

As it stands , the compton type suburbs are going to be just a handful of blocks...it just f*cks up immersion for me.

Johnny, the land area of LC is 3.2 sq miles - thats what LS is similarly sized to.

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 09:58 AM

QUOTE (GKP @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 09:52)
I AM happy with the entire map size to be honest. Its just that LS as it stands looks to me like a spanish hillside town I have visited a few times , a beach resort not a Metropolis. LC gave off a larger feeling, it wasnt just the skyscrapers either, it just appeared bigger.

Its not a deal breaker, believe it or not, I just wish it wasn't based on the archetypal 'sprawling' city. You do understand that a smaller city means shorter car chases , a little bit of repetitiveness is like the real life LA and allows for a more gradual subtle change from one area to the next.

As it stands , the compton type suburbs are going to be just a handful of blocks...it just f*cks up immersion for me.

Johnny, the land area of LC is 3.2 sq miles - thats what LS is similarly sized to.

LC probably gave that feeling because it was separated into islands with a lot of rivers in between. It was also not bordered by any mountains or hills.
LS in SA was much smaller than LC, and the chases in that game took way longer than in IV. If they know what they are doing, they don't need a gigantic city to pull it of. I already told you that repetitiveness isn't anything the game should be proud of. I want to be able to memorize the city by the unique buildings and architecture. If everything looks the same it'll just end up being confusing and bland.
I'm not even going to bother spending that much time in the city tbh, I'm already kind of sick of it after GTA IV and EFLC. I'll spend most of my time in the expansive countryside. It just seems much more fun.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:14 AM

Yeah no doubt the long drives into the country will be fun...

giantpaulosa
  • giantpaulosa

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:28 AM

There will be flies and mosquitoes?

GTAaLEX117
  • GTAaLEX117

Cynical Optimist

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (GKP @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 10:14)

Is that sarcasm? Because yes, that was the best part of SA, driving ATVs through the countryside,

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

QUOTE (GKP @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 09:52)

all of us have not played the game, we do don't know how big the game map is just from the screenshots, and you do know when your up in the sky and looking down it makes the map look smaller!! and the draw distance in GTA 5 has improved alot since gta 4 so that as well makes the map look small!!

And you guys remember the map RDR, GTA 4 and GTA SA combined with room to spare! To me the cities size look's like GTA 4's map and a halve, that would mean the country size is GTA SA's map and halve of RDR's Map. Now that would be fare, i love the size of the map if it was any bigger it would be boring (just cause 2) and we have under water to explore as well which will be big with cave's and all that good stuff! i cant wait till this game, it will be massive in map wise and detail.

Official General
  • Official General

I'm from Broker, LC, we always carry heat around here.

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:31 AM

QUOTE (dyz @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 10:43)
And you guys remember the map RDR, GTA 4 and GTA SA combined with room to spare!

Yeah, so ?? What the f**k has that got to do with people who think Los Santos looking a bit small in the screenshots ? You saying this does not change anything.

And we already knew that, I don't get why you're repeating old information to us.

ALeSsAnDrO
  • ALeSsAnDrO

Peon

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Every once in a while someone will storm in and bring the countryside yet again... We already know about the huge map, this is about the size of the CITY...

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

QUOTE (GKP @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 05:14)

I'm getting the sense that you're just an attention whore. No? dontgetit.gif

Mr. Cozzarelli
  • Mr. Cozzarelli

Thug

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:13 PM

Well, according to IGN, "the city of Los Santos alone is comparable in size to the whole of Liberty City".
Nuff said.

And btw: Alderney is meant to be part of Liberty City. It's the real-life counterpart (NJ) that is not part of NYC.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:14 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 11:31)
And you guys remember the map RDR, GTA 4 and GTA SA combined with room to spare!

Yeah, so ?? What the f**k has that got to do with people who think Los Santos looking a bit small in the screenshots ? You saying this does not change anything.

And we already knew that, I don't get why you're repeating old information to us.

So your another DumbF*ck who thinks the city is small? didn't you read my whole comment?

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Cozzarelli @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 12:13)
Well, according to IGN, "the city of Los Santos alone is comparable in size to the whole of Liberty City".
Nuff said.

And btw: Alderney is meant to be part of Liberty City. It's the real-life counterpart (NJ) that is not part of NYC.

I sure hope you (and IGN) are right. Anything smaller than LC (including Alderney) is not acceptable as far as I'm concerned.

As I've said a thousand times already, I'll be happy if Los Santos is equal in size to IV's Liberty city, including the rivers. If it's bigger, then that's even better.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:40 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 06:31)

Don't have a cow, geez. The guy is just saying that we have so much to the map and we should be happy. It seems when we get what we want we still want to bitch, haha.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:41 PM Edited by Official General, 11 April 2013 - 12:55 PM.

QUOTE (dyz @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 12:14)

So your another DumbF*ck who thinks the city is small? didn't you read my whole comment?

@dyz

Really ?? Listen to yourself. Read what you just wrote. You clearly did not read my comment properly.

I did not say that I think the city is small, I clearly wrote that I think it looks small, judging from what I can see from the screenshots. It's there, plain for all to see. To think it actually is small and to think it looks small are two different things. I can only fully judge whether the city is big or small when I finally know much more about it or play the game. Read my past comments and you will see that is the view I have stated and maintained all along.

Obviously too complicated and hard for an illiterate, stupid f**k like you to read and understand.

And I did read your comment. You spoke some bullsh*t about draw distances, up and down views bla bla bla. Don't make a shred of difference to me, I'm only going by what MY EYES CAN SEE in the screenshots, and that is Los Santos LOOKS SMALL to me. NO ONE is saying that IT IS SMALL, the point being discussed here is that IT LOOKS small.

Next time don't wade into a debate or argument without checking it out first before you speak.

@ Mr. Cozzarelli

Don't really matter what IGN said. That does not change the fact that a good number on people on here, including myself, who think that Los Santos does not look as big as it should be in those screenshots. Words, are just that, words. Images can actually give us at least some kind of idea of what we are anticipating. But like Scottish Guy, I too hope it is true what IGN said, or else anything less will be almost certain to disappoint me.

@ ALeSsAnDrO

Yeah a punk called dyz did just that.

GKP
  • GKP

Homie

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

No Kifflom, I meant what I said..odd reaction from you.

How old are you chaps anyway. Getting a feeling most are under 20

Blazevski12
  • Blazevski12

Hustler

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:49 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 12:41)
QUOTE (dyz @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 12:14)

@dyz

Really ?? Listen to yourself. Read what you just wrote. You clearly did not read my comment properly.

I did not say that I think the city is small, I clearly wrote that I think it looks small, judging from what I can see from the screenshots. It's there, plain for all to see. To think it actually is small and to think it looks small are two different things. I can only fully judge whether the city is big or small when I finally know much more about it or play the game. Read my past comments and you will see that is the view I have stated and maintained all along.

Obviously too complicated and hard for an illiterate, stupid f**k like you to read and understand.

And I did read your comment. You spoke some bullsh*t about draw distances, up and down views bla bla bla. Don't make a shred of difference to me, I'm only going by what MY EYES CAN SEE in the screenshots, and that is Los Santos LOOKS SMALL to me. NO ONE is saying that IT IS SMALL, the point being discussed here is that IT LOOKS small.

Next time don't wade into a debate or argument without checking it out first before you speak.

@ ALeSsAnDrO

Yeah a punk called dyz did just that.

Well on these forum, is forbidden to say that Los Santos look small.

Ferocious Banger
  • Ferocious Banger

Big Homie

• Members
  • India

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (GKP @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 18:16)
No Kifflom, I meant what I said..odd reaction from you.

How old are you chaps anyway. Getting a feeling most are under 20

How old are you anyway? You seem to be a sub-30 kid..

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:59 PM Edited by The Scottish Guy, 11 April 2013 - 01:15 PM.

So much hostility in this thread lol

I have to admit, I am one of those guys who also thinks LS looks far too small to make it feel like a 'sprawling' city. I hate how close the shoreline gets to downtown at a certain point. The coast of LA is miles off from the skyscrapers.

As I mentioned before, I hope R* haven't given too much attention to the countryside/desert at the expense of the city. GTA has always been about the city. It should be the primary focus during development of this game.

I just hope the observatory screen and others are simply an illusion, and that when we finally play the game, we'll be looking back to this thread at us all being whiney little bitches.

I hope.

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:03 PM Edited by Official General, 11 April 2013 - 01:13 PM.

QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 12:40)

Don't have a cow, geez. The guy is just saying that we have so much to the map and we should be happy. It seems when we get what we want we still want to bitch, haha.

Kifflom

Okay, the sheriff peacemaker has strolled into town, lets behave ourselves sarcasm.gif . Damn man, do you have do defend every f**king guy on here who shares the same view as you, or you feel sorry for ?? You don't know these people, it's the internet, get a grip man. Wow, you are something else.

But since you insist, can I ask, who's 'we' ?? 'We' don't all share the same the view that Los Santos looks very big. Don't include everyone in what you has you happy, contented and satisfied. If we get a huge map, (which I believe we will) and what I think is a very big Los Santos, then yeah I will be happy. If we get a huge map, and what I might believe is a Los Santos that is a bit to small, then no I will not be too happy about that. It's not b*tching, it's expressing discontent and disappointment, something natural in human emotions.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:07 PM

@Official General I dont think you know what your talking about? why dont you play call of duty with all the other 5 year old f*ggots?

Official General
  • Official General

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (dyz @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 13:07)
@Official General I dont think you know what your talking about? why dont you play call of duty with all the other 5 year old f*ggots?

Looool lol.gif

This is such a stupid, dumb and ridiculous comment, that I'm actually nearly on the floor because of myself laughing hard !! I can't even reply, I'm in stitches. Man, you are one serious fool, but a funny one at that !!

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:29 PM

Wow this is getting bitter. I predict an imminent lock.

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:35 PM Edited by Kirsty, 11 April 2013 - 04:14 PM.

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 13:29)
Wow this is getting bitter. I predict an imminent lock.

user posted image

Some more content next time, please...

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 08:03)
QUOTE (Kifflom112 @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 12:40)

Kifflom

Okay, the sheriff peacemaker has strolled into town, lets behave ourselves sarcasm.gif . Damn man, do you have do defend every f**king guy on here who shares the same view as you, or you feel sorry for ?? You don't know these people, it's the internet, get a grip man. Wow, you are something else.

But since you insist, can I ask, who's 'we' ?? 'We' don't all share the same the view that Los Santos looks very big. Don't include everyone in what you has you happy, contented and satisfied. If we get a huge map, (which I believe we will) and what I think is a very big Los Santos, then yeah I will be happy. If we get a huge map, and what I might believe is a Los Santos that is a bit to small, then no I will not be too happy about that. It's not b*tching, it's expressing discontent and disappointment, something natural in human emotions.

You are off your nut. Why don't you just calm down then come back to me. It seems you're always acting like a nut when you're in this thread and someone says something you disagree with.

dyz
  • dyz

GTA For Life!!

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:40 PM

@Kifflom112 You are right, He is off his nut, all i was trying say is that the map wasn't small but any way. smile.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users