Photo

Completed GTA V Box Art Mural

97 replies to this topic
Tomm94
  • Tomm94

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:50 PM

The corners of the Rockstar logo.. What happened?

r34ld34l
  • r34ld34l

PC Gamer

• Members
  • Slovenia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (Tomm94 @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 12:50)
The corners of the Rockstar logo.. What happened?

When you see it you will sh*t bricks, Literal.

Fisciletti
  • Fisciletti

Big Homie

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 09 April 2013 - 03:31 PM

It must be hard to paint a wall.

TheFoxRiverFugitive
  • TheFoxRiverFugitive

Sly Fox

• Facade Corporation
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2013 - 09:48 PM

Just posted on R*s facebook page.

user posted image

Capricornus
  • Capricornus

R.I.P Zee -_-

• Leone Family Mafia

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:02 PM

LMFAO the girl on the left looks stupid, almost like a lighter version of Rihanna. Its a lot better than anything I could draw but I prefer the box art posted on the internet as opposed to this mural.

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:11 PM

Lol Rockstar failed for once. lol.gif

Eagles
  • Eagles

Here we go, kids

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:55 AM

Cmon, guys, this is not so bad. It must pretty hard to paint a giant cover over these bricks.
But yeah, it would have been better if it was just a collage or a big printed banner. Hopefully they will use those three buildings as they did with IV to make something more, uh, clean.

JOSEPH X
  • JOSEPH X

Boss

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:58 AM

Orange & blue, orange & blue, orange & blue... that's not art, that's marketing.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

Dime store angel of death

• Members
  • None
  • Best Story/Poem 2015 [The "I Love Karen Daniels" fanfic]

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (Eagles @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 00:55)
Cmon, guys, this is not so bad. It must pretty hard to paint a giant cover over these bricks.
But yeah, it would have been better if it was just a collage or a big printed banner. Hopefully they will use those three buildings as they did with IV to make something more, uh, clean.

Rockstar Marketing Director: "OK guys, the time has finally come! Those R* North GTAV devs insist that they're going to hold the September 2013 release date, so it's time to start marketing the game of the century! We have to do this the biggest, the best way possible. This is the marketing project that will define our careers!

"This opening salvo has to be perfect. Those devs slipping the date in January screwed up our box art reveal, so now we have to to do it bigger, better and badder than ever, to regain the momentum.

"OK, so here's my idea. We're not just gonna pop up the box art on the Newswire. Any stumble-bum can do that. No, we're gonna do it right! We're gonna find the sh*ttiest brickwall building in New York City, you know, the one from 5 years ago that we painted the GTA IV logo on, since the background was all black and you couldn't see the brick lines.

"Then we're gonna hire the losers of the last two mural competitions, on a cut-rate fixed-price contract, to slowly paint a half-assed, incompetent copy of the box art, which we will supply to them on a rain-smeared printout from that crappy inkjet printer in my office, the one that my kids dropped the crayons into.

"Then here's the coup de grâce. We're not even gonna mention it on Newswire. We're gonna just start the mural at some random time near the weekend, and let dipsh*t hipsters find it by accident and take pictures of the evolving mural at random, using their sh*tty cell phones, and we know they will use their goddamn dipsh*t Instagram filters on it.

"Then we will let this grand kickoff of the marketing of GTAV, the game of the century need I remind you, proceed completely randomly and out of our control, on various websites where the scum of the Internet will put up these sh*t snapshots and debate what the hell is going on, is this fake, this can't be Rockstar doing this, yada, yada, yada. The fanboys will be banging their heads on the wall, a brick wall, I hope.

"The idea is already genius, but there's more! Because the painters are art school dropouts who can't even color inside the lines, the final art will have distorted aspect ratio and faces that are so screwed up that they are barely recognizable as the old tired art that we used, rather than actually drawing some new art for the cover, just so the fanboys can carp about the terrible comparisons. We'll top it off by the painters not even being able to paint a properly square R* logo.

"The whole project is going to look so terrible, the fans will debate whether it's even finished or not. And when the scaffolding goes away and it starts to be obvious that no more work is going to be done, the fanboys will blame the sh*t final result on the bricks. Haha, it's not like we could have found a better, smoother building wall to do this historic cover art reveal on. God, what genius! I am the king of marketing! I'm on top of the world! I'm voting myself a raise!"

Gummy 
  • Gummy 

The Sound of Silence

• Members
  • Indonesia

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:28 AM

Trevor looks kinda gay IMO.

Jewstinian
  • Jewstinian

Entitled Asshat

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 10 April 2013 - 09:48 AM

Their faces seem a little ridiculous! lol.gif At least people won't be going up close to view it.

Nice try, though. Should help the game.

gtafanny
  • gtafanny

Hustler

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

REVEALED: Beach girl is actually Trevor with blonde hair and makeup.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

dead inside

• Members
  • United-States
  • Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

Daaaaamn! That mural looks terrible.

Freezer89
  • Freezer89

• Members
  • European-Union

Posted 10 April 2013 - 02:41 PM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 13:35)

Do it better.

aaronimpact
  • aaronimpact

Li'l G Loc

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 04:52 PM

The beach girl looks terrible on the mural. Reminds me of that White Chicks movie by the Wayans brothers.

InfernoV
  • InfernoV

Dont you just hate keyboard warriors!

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 06:29)
QUOTE (Eagles @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 00:55)

Rockstar Marketing Director: "OK guys, the time has finally come! Those R* North GTAV devs insist that they're going to hold the September 2013 release date, so it's time to start marketing the game of the century! We have to do this the biggest, the best way possible. This is the marketing project that will define our careers!

"This opening salvo has to be perfect. Those devs slipping the date in January screwed up our box art reveal, so now we have to to do it bigger, better and badder than ever, to regain the momentum.

"OK, so here's my idea. We're not just gonna pop up the box art on the Newswire. Any stumble-bum can do that. No, we're gonna do it right! We're gonna find the sh*ttiest brickwall building in New York City, you know, the one from 5 years ago that we painted the GTA IV logo on, since the background was all black and you couldn't see the brick lines.

"Then we're gonna hire the losers of the last two mural competitions, on a cut-rate fixed-price contract, to slowly paint a half-assed, incompetent copy of the box art, which we will supply to them on a rain-smeared printout from that crappy inkjet printer in my office, the one that my kids dropped the crayons into.

"Then here's the coup de grâce. We're not even gonna mention it on Newswire. We're gonna just start the mural at some random time near the weekend, and let dipsh*t hipsters find it by accident and take pictures of the evolving mural at random, using their sh*tty cell phones, and we know they will use their goddamn dipsh*t Instagram filters on it.

"Then we will let this grand kickoff of the marketing of GTAV, the game of the century need I remind you, proceed completely randomly and out of our control, on various websites where the scum of the Internet will put up these sh*t snapshots and debate what the hell is going on, is this fake, this can't be Rockstar doing this, yada, yada, yada. The fanboys will be banging their heads on the wall, a brick wall, I hope.

"The idea is already genius, but there's more! Because the painters are art school dropouts who can't even color inside the lines, the final art will have distorted aspect ratio and faces that are so screwed up that they are barely recognizable as the old tired art that we used, rather than actually drawing some new art for the cover, just so the fanboys can carp about the terrible comparisons. We'll top it off by the painters not even being able to paint a properly square R* logo.

"The whole project is going to look so terrible, the fans will debate whether it's even finished or not. And when the scaffolding goes away and it starts to be obvious that no more work is going to be done, the fanboys will blame the sh*t final result on the bricks. Haha, it's not like we could have found a better, smoother building wall to do this historic cover art reveal on. God, what genius! I am the king of marketing! I'm on top of the world! I'm voting myself a raise!"

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ManWig
  • ManWig

Crackhead

• BUSTED!

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

I think they took the money upfront, wise move by the painters.

Rockstar probably like nahhhhhhh, and they be like naaaahhh dawg we already paid, lololol trevor the fish, woman who is a man, and franklin 'kill me' messed up ear with a finale of melted police barricade.

Sef
  • Sef

Proud to be Dutch

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 11:35)

wat

Do it better yourself then.

luceberg
  • luceberg

Homeboy

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

All this criticism! It is a decent piece of work and the painters did well. Also a good idea of rockstar to commision it. For people living near this or passing by every day which the locals do, it is less intrusive than a blatant advert in your face, the texture of the brick gives more interest, more a work of art in it's own right.

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:16 PM

A lot of problems with that mural. Maybe they didn't have that much experience? confused.gif

LTA1992
  • LTA1992

The Fanged Brave, KyoryuRed

• Members

Posted 10 April 2013 - 10:11 PM

QUOTE (BlackNoise @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 20:16)
A lot of problems with that mural. Maybe they didn't have that much experience? confused.gif

Or maybe they were painting in a BRICK WALL WITH GROOVES and, ya know, BRICKS. Really though, you don't notice the flaws when walking by.

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:50 AM

QUOTE (LTA1992 @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 22:11)
A lot of problems with that mural. Maybe they didn't have that much experience?  confused.gif

Or maybe they were painting in a BRICK WALL WITH GROOVES and, ya know, BRICKS. Really though, you don't notice the flaws when walking by.

It's getting really difficult to believe that people are seriously thinking that the problems of the proportions and the details in this mural are due only to the rough brick surface.

To believe that, one must suppose that Rockstar never thought about the potential issues when they selected this lumpy building as the debut of the GTAV box art. And they must suppose the mural artists have never painted on a brick wall before.

Well, maybe that's true. Hell, Rockstar NYC is just representing the video game of the century. It's not like we expect them to be the best at what they do, or anything.

I will amplify what I said in another thread. If Rockstar gets these guys to do the Figueroa Hotel murals for GTAV, it's going to be a disaster. And looking at the bigger picture (pun partially intended), if Rockstar marketing does not get their sh*t together, it's going to start making everyone wonder about the way Rockstar does things. I don't want to have to wonder about that.

vivalavendredi
  • vivalavendredi

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 22:10)
QUOTE (VegaLA @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 21:30)
I though one of these murals was to be painted in LA itself? Anyone got info on that?

Cheers.....

If Rockstar is going to get the same guys to paint the GTAV triptych mural on the Figueroa Hotel in downtown LA before E3, they better get started now. It's a bit bigger than the mural they just finished ....

user posted image

Are you sure this was painted? Afaik this was "just" a very large print (sliced into pieces)

jimbo1a
  • jimbo1a

Mr Gold Card

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 11 April 2013 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (vivalavendredi @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 10:01)
I though one of these murals was to be painted in LA itself? Anyone got info on that?

Cheers.....

If Rockstar is going to get the same guys to paint the GTAV triptych mural on the Figueroa Hotel in downtown LA before E3, they better get started now. It's a bit bigger than the mural they just finished ....

http://farm3.static...._25a37a7ed5.jpg

Are you sure this was painted? Afaik this was "just" a very large print (sliced into pieces)

woah hang on who is the guy in the 3rd picture I do not recognise him?

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:08 PM Edited by BlackNoise, 11 April 2013 - 04:11 PM.

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 01:50)
A lot of problems with that mural. Maybe they didn't have that much experience?  confused.gif

It's getting really difficult to believe that people are seriously thinking that the problems of the proportions and the details in this mural are due only to the rough brick surface.

To believe that, one must suppose that Rockstar never thought about the potential issues when they selected this lumpy building as the debut of the GTAV box art. And they must suppose the mural artists have never painted on a brick wall before.

Well, maybe that's true. Hell, Rockstar NYC is just representing the video game of the century. It's not like we expect them to be the best at what they do, or anything.

I will amplify what I said in another thread. If Rockstar gets these guys to do the Figueroa Hotel murals for GTAV, it's going to be a disaster. And looking at the bigger picture (pun partially intended), if Rockstar marketing does not get their sh*t together, it's going to start making everyone wonder about the way Rockstar does things. I don't want to have to wonder about that.

This.

I'm not trying to diss those guys, but you can tell it's not the bricks. They were getting it wrong from the start. There are so many problems with that mural. I don't know if it's because I'm an artist or what, but it's obvious those guys weren't the most experienced/talented.

If it was the bricks, the lettering would be off, but it almost looks perfect. It's everything else that looks off. Look at the individual details, not just the image as a whole. Those guys made decisions that had nothing to do with the original artwork. Michael's expression is different, and it's hard to see, but my favorite is Franklin's hands(they added more fingers!) in the bike image and also the water splashing up from the wheel spin. That's simply artistic license, but they didn't have the skill.

There are a bunch of issues that show us these guys lacked experience/talent, and it's probably talent more than anything else. An artist would know hands don't look like that, and the eyes are off too in a few other areas(girl, Trevor, Chop), but I didn't include them because they're so obvious.

user posted image

saintsrow
  • saintsrow

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:08 PM Edited by saintsrow, 12 April 2013 - 06:11 AM.

Cheers.....

user posted image

Yes, if you do a google image search for Hotel Figueroa and GTA, you will see pix of the painting in progress

EDIT:
Actually, I have found a number of pictures of the Max Payne 3 mural in-work on the Figueroa Hotel; see this one:
http://media.rocksta...nner-7-full.jpg
But I have not yet found similar pix for GTA IV or Episodes from Liberty City. Perhaps sometimes Rockstar does use prints, but I don't know if such large prints are made routinely. Still looking.

MORE EDITS:

Maybe the GTA IV was a poster. A guy wrote in a blog,
"[–]Quickjager 54 points 10 months ago
They also put a Skyrim ad on this building if I remember correctly, three posters that together made one image tho.
[–]NoBullet 46 points 10 months ago
They werent posters/banners. It was painted. LA doesnt allow banners on buildings anymore. Same goes for max payne, its painted"

So it seems that if Rockstar puts up a GTAV mural on the Figueroa Hotel, it be a painting. Rockstar, get the professionals to do this one, please. colgate.gif

Here's a time lapse of the Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim E3 2011 Figueroa Hotel Painting

vivalavendredi
  • vivalavendredi

Gangsta

• Members

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:08 AM

QUOTE (saintsrow @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 16:08)

Cheers.....

user posted image

Yes, if you do a google image search for Hotel Figueroa and GTA, you will see pix of the painting in progress

EDIT:
Actually, I have found a number of pictures of the Max Payne 3 mural in-work on the Figueroa Hotel; see this one:
http://media.rocksta...nner-7-full.jpg
But I have not yet found similar pix for GTA IV or Episodes from Liberty City. Perhaps sometimes Rockstar does use prints, but I don't know if such large prints are made routinely. Still looking.

MORE EDITS:

Maybe the GTA IV was a poster. A guy wrote in a blog,
"[–]Quickjager 54 points 10 months ago
They also put a Skyrim ad on this building if I remember correctly, three posters that together made one image tho.
[–]NoBullet 46 points 10 months ago
They werent posters/banners. It was painted. LA doesnt allow banners on buildings anymore. Same goes for max payne, its painted"

So it seems that if Rockstar puts up a GTAV mural on the Figueroa Hotel, it be a painting. Rockstar, get the professionals to do this one, please. colgate.gif

Here's a time lapse of the Elder Scrolls V - Skyrim E3 2011 Figueroa Hotel Painting

Wow.
I always was impressed of such big banners. Now that I know these are painted I don't know whata say. Awesome stuff. 120 mio times better then what they did with the V mural… Maybe it was because of the weather or something but in comparison with this the V mural is nothing. nada. niente.

Thx for providing the info and links

TheFIREFLY
  • TheFIREFLY

Wanderer

• BUSTED!

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:07 AM

We should expect more murals right? When were GTAIV murals painted? I mean how much before actual release?

Argon
  • Argon

Street Cat

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 09:29 PM

QUOTE (BlackNoise @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 16:08)
QUOTE (saintsrow @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 01:50)

This.

I'm not trying to diss those guys, but you can tell it's not the bricks. They were getting it wrong from the start. There are so many problems with that mural. I don't know if it's because I'm an artist or what, but it's obvious those guys weren't the most experienced/talented.

If it was the bricks, the lettering would be off, but it almost looks perfect. It's everything else that looks off. Look at the individual details, not just the image as a whole. Those guys made decisions that had nothing to do with the original artwork. Michael's expression is different, and it's hard to see, but my favorite is Franklin's hands(they added more fingers!) in the bike image and also the water splashing up from the wheel spin. That's simply artistic license, but they didn't have the skill.

There are a bunch of issues that show us these guys lacked experience/talent, and it's probably talent more than anything else. An artist would know hands don't look like that, and the eyes are off too in a few other areas(girl, Trevor, Chop), but I didn't include them because they're so obvious.

Haha I like your comment. Not because it makes sense (which it doesn't), but because of the bitterness. I really liked it when you mentioned you were an artist. Look, please show us your mural skills. These guys have a job to do, and probably more murals to do. They did a fine job, and probably did not pick the wall. Letters are ofcourse easier to make on a brick wall. We even tend to see straight lines when they aren't, so saying that it's weird that the logo looks fine but the rest doesn't, is just unfair. Don't forget that the mural is huge, and they were standing very close to it. It's hard, experienced or not. Don't forget that for these guys, it was probably not the new rising of Jesus Christ and I don't think that they would expect a whole forum to watch them work. If you compare the digital version and the mural, it's almost spot on, especially if you're just having a quick walk by. How can you seriously say 'an artist would know hands don't look like that' without sounding cocky. Perhaps I'm reading it wrong, but your whole comment screams 'I know and do it better' in a way that reminds me of 'foto shop becuz of the pixelz'. Can't you just agree that they probably had skill, but due to time, workplace, weather and lighting it has some tiny flaws?

It looks cool, and I like the way they did the whole thing. I do think it's a shame that they released the digital version before this one was completed, though. I've seen the mural on every good game site, and had a couple of friends (casual players) mentioned it, so it was effective.

Kjax39
  • Kjax39

Playa

• Members

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:25 PM

Why does anyone still care about this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users