Game stats corrupted in save file (PS2)

22 replies to this topic
OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

I have googled and I find various game-save problems discussed, but none with this problem.
As the title says, it's PS2. I don't know if there's more than one version for PS2, if it is and it matters, please tell me how I can find the version number.

My game got totally screwed with many serious bugs so I had to start deleting save files. The game became pretty much unplayable after the last error.

I started by deleting the most recent files, rebooting PS2 after every delete. I'm now back to some very old saves. For some moments it seemed clear that all bugs were gone, but then I found some strange things in the game stats, and this was in the oldest save I consider to use.

This save is titled "WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS", it is before Doberman and gang wars are not unlocked.
And here is what I found in the "GANGS" stats:

BIGGEST GANG________GROVE STREET FAMILIES___24
2ND BIGGEST GANG____BALLAS_________________19
3RD BIGGEST GANG____LOS SANTOS VAGOS______10

After I reloaded the file, the errors were corrected (Ballas 29, Vagos 13, Grove 11).

When reloading fixed the errors, it means that the save is OK and there is a read problem? Do I have to scrap the memory card?
I'm not sure if all the bugs and errors I have experienced are because of a bad memory card or if San Andreas is expected to screw up the save files now and then. My impression is that bugs and save errors are very common. But not until now did I start to consider if the hardware is responsible.

Another odd thing in the stats is that the treadmill timer is increasing a bit on some of the saves, but the distance is unchanged. I don't care about the treadmill timer and other unimportant things, but I do care if it means more serious things could happen next.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:36 PM

There's a regular San Andreas and a Special edition/Trilogy, so yeah, there is more than 1 version for the PS2. There is no version number (unless using Omniconvert and it's 069C for the Original and 08B1 for the Special edition), just look at the game case and it'll either say "Special Edition" or not, that's how to tell.

Have you done anything out of the ordinary? Finding the source of these "bugs" could be helpful. Bugs don't appear out of nowhere. The extent of these bugs determine what actions need to be taken. If it's like the pedestrian riot bug caused by that particular cheat, start a new save file; If it's a corrupted memory file, you'll need an entirely new memory card. I used some cheat device codes that screwed my game up big time. I could no longer save, my game would freeze every 5 minutes (on any San Andreas save file) and when I loaded the memory card without the game in, I tried deleting it and it said "delete failed". That is a lesson I learned for not testing codes before saving.

In the beginning of a non-coded game, Ballas have 29 territories, Vagos 13 and Grove 11. Did you use Ric-013s territory codes? If so, he said to use them and save them 1 by 1. Don't use them at all until completing the game though.

Bugs and save errors are not "very common" nor is San Andreas "expected to screw up the files now and then". A glitch is normal, bugs and save errors are not. The tread timer sounds abnormal though. Reloading may fix these issues, but that doesn't mean they didn't already wreak havoc.

Luckily though, if the memory file is corrupted, the card can still be used for other games because only individual memory files get corrupted. To be on the safe side, trying deleting your San Andreas memory setting in its entirety and if the icon changes and/or it says "delete failed" get a new memory card to resume San Andreas anew.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 11:57 AM Edited by OG Viking, 09 April 2013 - 12:13 PM.

Thank you for replying.
I have the Platinum edition of San Andreas. It does not say "Special" anywhere so I guess it's the standard version for a reduced price.

What is a bug and what is a glitch? They're the same to me, but they are different? Both are unintended behavior caused by errors in the programming. Maybe bugs are more serious errors.

This memory card is a MAX Memory, 16 MB. I have other cards of the same type. Memory cards are simple things, I guess it's "flash memory" and this type of memory is reliable.

I have tested out cheat codes but I don't save a cheated game. I always reset the PS2 after using cheats.

I got various glitches but I just continued because I had invested so many hours into the latest save at that point.
* Gym glitch
* Traffic speed glitch
* Sniper Rifle glitch

^ These glitches I lived with for a long time. Later I got more:

* Cinematic camera glitch

* And finally, some sort of "stuck in mission" glitch.
The save icon inside most of my safehouses disappeared. The game seemed to think I was in some unidentified mission. I could not start any R3 missions. I could not get out of the "mission" I was stuck in, getting wasted or busted did not help. This was when I gave up.

I have also experienced other weird things in the game, like a GSF member trying to kill me but he could not hit me because he was only able to fire his pistol up in the air. He could also only walk backwards. His arm was locked in some sort of defensive mode, that's why he could not shoot straight. I'm not sure if I saved after that happened, but anyway it has happened only one time.

A few times the same happened with Ballas when they attacked my turf. I could walk up in their face and punch them, they could not point the weapon forward and shoot my way. I doubt that I saved after that, but I can't say for sure. It has only happened 2-3 times.

In the beginning of a non-coded game, Ballas have 29 territories, Vagos 13 and Grove 11. Did you use Ric-013s territory codes? If so, he said to use them and save them 1 by 1. Don't use them at all until completing the game though.

I have never heard about Ric-013s territory codes, so the answer is no. But I did travel far out at sea so the whole of San Andreas was uncovered. I've heard it may cause some extra gang areas in Las Venturas or San Fierro, but I don't know if it did. I never unlocked those cities in this game.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:09 PM Edited by GTASAddict, 10 April 2013 - 05:22 AM.

Omniconvert game ID coding is as follows: Regular San Andreas (NTSC V1 - 069C), Special Edition San Andreas (NTSC V2 - 08B0) and Platinum edition San Andreas (PAL V2 - 0A0F). To clarify, NTSC is the format used in North America whereas PAL is used by the rest of the world, so Platinum is a replica of the Special Edition. I think the ID for the Regular San Andreas PAL version is 06A3.

Glitches are effects that the designers did not intend for, but had programmed in the game by mistake. Bugs are effects not programmed that are the result of a distorted file or software. Basically, a glitch is caused by unintended programming and bugs are caused by programming gone haywire.

I am familiar with the sniper rifle bug where the weapon has no effect at long range, but has effect at short range. I too had a problem with the cinematic camera view. When I zoom into that view, the camera angles spin out of control very rapidly and the game freezes. I also had a problem where cars would drive extremely rapidly, get lodged into other cars and blow up so fast that it made the game lag. Those are bugs because I got those after experimenting with created cheats that didn't go together. Unfortunately, not all bugs are caused by cheats, so seemingly harmless things may lead to them.

What missions did you get "stuck in"? During missions, the save icon is supposed to vanish that way you can't do half now and half later. Also, during missions you aren't supposed to start other missions including R3 missions. If getting or busted wasted doesn't end this, something is very wrong. GSF will only attack you on rare occasions if you bump into their cars. I notice if a rival gang is shooting at me and I get too close to them, they will temporary shoot in the air, elbow me and start shooting normally. This doesn't seem to be the case here. I don't know what to say about the gym glitch.

Ric-013s codes can't be used without a cheat device, so I recon they're irrelevant. The flying off the map glitch works for the PS2 NTSC V1 version, but as far as I know, it doesn't work with other versions. If it does, that may explain your territory stats being out of order, but that still doesn't explain everything else.

Lastly, I understand not wanting to start a new game, since I had 100% completion and so many other things when I had to. If you're only at Doberman and Wrong Side of the Tracks, you're not even 25% done with the game. If the bugs only altered your game, you can erase your memory card settings and start fresh; If your software got corrupted, it'll say "delete failed" if you try. Individual save files can sill be deleted, but not the damaged memory settings. It depends how severe the bugs are.

lil weasel
  • lil weasel

Shoot Looters, Hang Pirates!

• Members
  • None
  • Contribution Award [San Andreas]

Posted 09 April 2013 - 01:48 PM

QUOTE (OG Viking @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 11:57)
I have tested out cheat codes but I don't save a cheated game. I always reset the PS2 after using cheats.

You could be causing your problem.
Don't reset while the game is playing. Just don't save the when the cheat(s) is used. Load a another game save and shut down properly.

To me:
A Glitch is something that happens randomly.
A Bug is bad programing that will occur exactly the same everything a line of code is executed.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:48 PM Edited by OG Viking, 09 April 2013 - 04:51 PM.

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 08:09)
Omniconvert game ID coding is as follows: Regular San Andreas (NTSC V1 - 069C), Special Edition San Andreas (NTSC V2 - 08B0) and Platinum edition San Andreas (PAL V2 - 0A0F). To clarify, NTSC is the format used in the USA whereas PAL is used by the rest of the world, so Platinum is a replica of the Special Edition. I think the ID for the Regular San Andreas PAL version is 06A3.

I live in Europe so I've got PAL. I don't know if the Platinum brand is marketed in America. Platinum is a collection of best-selling games, usually released a couple of years after the original release.
Special versions usually contain some extra material, and as far as I can tell my version has nothing extra. Just the DVD, a paper manual and paper city map. If it's extra features in the game it's not mentioned on the game cover.

I'm afraid I don't know what omniconvert game ID is.

Glitches are effects that the designers did not intend for, but had programmed in the game by mistake. Bugs are effects not programmed that are the result of a distorted file or software. Basically, a glitch is caused by unintended programming and bugs are caused by programming gone haywire.

I am familiar with the sniper rifle bug where the weapon has no effect at long range, but has effect at short range. I too had a problem with the cinematic camera view. When I zoom into that view, the camera angles spin out of control very rapidly and the game freezes. I also had a problem where cars would drive extremely rapidly, get lodged into other cars and blow up so fast that it made the game lag. Those are bugs because I got those after experimenting with created cheats that didn't go together. Unfortunately, not all bugs are caused by cheats, so seemingly harmless things may lead to them.

The "Sniper Rifle bug" cuts the range at 8-10 meters (25-30 feet), so it was useless as weapon.

The "cinematic camera bug" froze the game only when the vehicle started to move. And I could not drive a train through a tunnel because that will automatically trigger the cinematic view.

The "traffic speed bug" was crazy, cars drove faster than missiles. (You know this, but I mention it for people that don't know what we talk about.) Cars would travel by air instead of following the road when the road went downhill, and the cars would disappear into the ground where the road went uphill. You can't even see them, it's like only 1 in every 100 frames are visible, making it look like ghost traffic. I couldn't use cars because my car would fusion with other cars all the time. Sometimes even CJ got trapped inside other cars (usually large vehicles) when he crossed the street by foot.

I think Iv'e read somewhere that the traffic speed bug would happen after 500 hours, but I don't know if it's true. I had played 500-600 hours when I got it, and when I got the "stuck in mission" bug after another 600 hours.

What missions did you get "stuck in"? During missions, the save icon is supposed to vanish that way you can't do half now and half later. Also, during missions you aren't supposed to start other missions including R3 missions. If getting or busted wasted doesn't end this, something is very wrong. GSF will only attack you on rare occasions if you bump into their cars. I notice if a rival gang is shooting at me and I get too close to them, they will temporary shoot in the air, elbow me and start shooting normally. This doesn't seem to be the case here. I don't know what to say about the gym glitch.

I have no idea what mission I was stuck in. I don't think I really was in a particular mission, I think the game just got in "mission mode" as a result of a bug or glitch. I would not have saved if I were in a mission, and the game would not allow me to save if that was the case.

Because I also had the Gym Bug, I should get the "you have exercised enough" message. But instead I got the "you look a bit busy, why not come back later" message. This and other things (not able to start vehicle missions, no red circle outside Sweet's house, Denise unavailable) indicated that I was stuck in a mission. Also enemy gangs was far less aggressive than normal, Ballas would not shoot or pull CJ out of the car if I parked near them.
I have only one answer for this, and that is the game was in mission mode. But I could not find out what mission it was; there was no markers on the map and nothing I could do except free-roam. I could not even fail the "mission".

There are two versions of the Gym Bug, I had the one that prevented me from working out also on the outdoor gym. Saving at Madd Dog's mansion will trigger this bug, but I can't save there this early in the game so that's not what triggered it in my case. Sometimes it seems that being busted many times in a short period of time triggers this bug.

Ric-013s codes can't be used without a cheat device, so I recon they're irrelevant. The flying off the map glitch works for the PS2 NTSC V1 version, but as far as I know, it doesn't work with other versions. If it does, that may explain your territory stats being out of order, but that still doesn't explain everything else.

Lastly, I understand not wanting to start a new game, since I had 100% completion and so many other things when I had to. If you're only at Doberman and Wrong Side of the Tracks, you're not even 25% done with the game. If the bugs only altered your game, you can erase your memory card settings and start fresh; If your software got corrupted, it'll say "delete failed" if you try. Individual save files can sill be deleted, but not the damaged memory settings. It depends how severe the bugs are.

I don't have a cheat device so Ric-013 codes are irrelevant. I do have PAL and flying off the map (or in my case use boat) does indeed work for unveiling the map. But I do not know if I got extra turfs or not.

The territory stats was out of order only one time, it was corrected after reloading the save. But I do find it worrying if the data can get corrupted - even if it's just one single time. I never know when data will be corrupted again, or how bad it will be. Some errors may not be that obvious and I could save a bugged game and get problems later.

On this save we talked about now (with the random territory stats bug), I'm only at 10.70% and the last mission I did was "Wrong Side of the Tracks". But I have invested 158 hours into that save.

The other save I consider to continue from, I'm 21.93% into the game and I have played 273 hours. I had done Los Sepulcros at that time. I free-roam (stunt) a lot.

So although I have not done so many missions, I'm a bit reluctant to delete everything. But maybe I have to. I have deleted 900 hours already and I don't want to invest that many hours again only to delete them.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (lil weasel @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 08:48)
QUOTE (OG Viking @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 11:57)

You could be causing your problem.
Don't reset while the game is playing. Just don't save the when the cheat(s) is used. Load a another game save and shut down properly.

To me:
A Glitch is something that happens randomly.
A Bug is bad programing that will occur exactly the same everything a line of code is executed.

I always used to pause the game before resetting the console, but I didn't know any reason for it, I just did it. Sometimes when I turn off the console I think I have not paused it, but normally the game is paused also before I turn off the console.

But why does it matter? I can understand why it's important with a PC, but a PS2? It doesn't write to the memory card unless I save? So what can go wrong?

The reason why I reset it after using cheats, is that I wanted to be sure they were out of the RAM and could not possibly be present after loading a game. I think that if a bug occurs, you have to reset and I treat cheats like bugs.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

Chain Game Development Team

• Feroci Racing
  • None
  • Helpfulness Award [GTA & Modding]

Posted 09 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

I'm leaning towards agreeing with your initial assessment that there is some sort of hardware problem. San Andreas tends to be a little glitchy, programming-wise, but the problems you are describing are often not the familiar standard errors, and you are getting way too many problems. A non-standard memory card is an obvious place to point the finger, but perhaps the PS2 memory is suffering or data is not getting read properly from disc.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 10 April 2013 - 12:59 AM Edited by GTASAddict, 10 April 2013 - 01:09 AM.

I've never seen the Platinum here, so I recon it's not marketed here. The NTSC Special Edition isn't exactly "special", considering it is supposed to have removed programming errors rather than implementing anything extra. If the only PAL games there are is the Regular & Platinum, I would bet PAL V2 is the Platinum. I was only guessing when I said the Platinum is a replica of the Special Edition.

The flamethrower can have similar bugs as the sniper rifle. I had a bug where firing the flamethrower using the targeting mechanism had no effect regardless of the range. The only time it had an effect was when I fired it at someone with the weapon directly upside them. If I was too far, it didn't work. No other weapons were affected though. I notice a pattern; the Sniper rifle, Conventional rifle, Flamethrower & minigun have no lock-on feature and use a unique targeting mechanism, so I think those sort of weapons are at risk of being rendered useless.

If I was driving a train in a tunnel, the camera view bug was repaired until I got out of the tunnel. The game always eventually froze using that camera view while inside a car, motorcycle, helicopter or plane whereas boats had varying results.

The "traffic speed bug" is the most annoying bug I ever encountered. Only cars & bikes were affected by this whereas motorcycles & boats were not. Motorcycles moved at normal speed and did not conjoin with other motorcycles or cars. However, I often got propelled off my motorcycle by a car that hit me faster then the eye could blink. My only solution was to change pedestrian & gang cars to motorcycles using cheat devices. Those changes were only temporary and had to be reactivated every time which was time consuming.

I didn't have these problems until my "times cheated" tally exceeded 200,000 and even then, it didn't happen until I mixed incompatible codes and rapidly activated them. I thought I was the only person with these problems, and I thought no one would know what I'm taking about if I mentioned them.

During missions, enemy gangs won't randomly pull you out of a car or shoot you. However, they will walk up to you and badmouth you, but they won't attack unless you shoot at or hit them. Gang wars can't be provoked during missions except for a few exceptions such as Doberman & Home Coming. Note that gangs that appear during missions (Ballas in Crack den, for example) do not raise your "enemy gangs killed" tally. Only those on the street and in gang wars do.

Did the "gym bug" occur with every workout option? The "you look a bit busy, why not come back later" popup is only supposed to occur when you try to exercise or play an arcade game during a mission. Yeah, the game must think you're on a mission when you're not. But why, I wonder.

Bugs can be fixed by erasing your memory settings, but corrupted data files can not be deleted at all. In order of seriousness: Corrupted data>bugs>glitches>.

On a positive note, I think I know what is causing all your problems. The memory card you're using, did you buy it locally? It's possible you're using an NTSC memory card on a PAL game & system. Your solution is a proper memory card.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2013 - 05:19 AM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 12:57)
I'm leaning towards agreeing with your initial assessment that there is some sort of hardware problem. San Andreas tends to be a little glitchy, programming-wise, but the problems you are describing are often not the familiar standard errors, and you are getting way too many problems. A non-standard memory card is an obvious place to point the finger, but perhaps the PS2 memory is suffering or data is not getting read properly from disc.

My PS2 memory? You mean a possible faulty RAM chip? I'm not sure, but I would think I got bigger problems if parts of the RAM is damaged.

Maybe the non-standard memory card is the reason, I've heard a few times that they are supposed to be unreliable. But I'm thinking if this is just a result of Sony propaganda? Their 8 MB cards are insanely expensive and people would not buy them unless they thought cheaper higher capacity cards were dangerous. The flash technology is simple and I believe a normal hard drive is at bigger risk of getting physical issues. But maybe it's true that the non-standard cards are bad. But now the Sony 8 MB cards are not for sale anymore, except second-hand.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 19:59)
I've never seen the Platinum here, so I recon it's not marketed here. The NTSC Special Edition isn't exactly "special", considering it is supposed to have removed programming errors rather than implementing anything extra. If the only PAL games there are is the Regular & Platinum, I would bet PAL V2 is the Platinum. I was only guessing when I said the Platinum is a replica of the Special Edition.

Yes it seems Platinum is only in the PAL region. Platinum Range

The flamethrower can have similar bugs as the sniper rifle. I had a bug where firing the flamethrower using the targeting mechanism had no effect regardless of the range. The only time it had an effect was when I fired it at someone with the weapon directly upside them. If I was too far, it didn't work. No other weapons were affected though. I notice a pattern; the Sniper rifle, Conventional rifle, Flamethrower & minigun have no lock-on feature and use a unique targeting mechanism, so I think those sort of weapons are at risk of being rendered useless.

Good observation. I never tried those other weapons in that game, except the standard rifle. I don't remember if I had problems with the range of the standard rifle, I never used it much.

If I was driving a train in a tunnel, the camera view bug was repaired until I got out of the tunnel. The game always eventually froze using that camera view while inside a car, motorcycle, helicopter or plane whereas boats had varying results.

This means there's more than one version of the camera view bug. My camera would spin out of control and the game would freeze when a train entered a tunnel.

The "traffic speed bug" is the most annoying bug I ever encountered. Only cars & bikes were affected by this whereas motorcycles & boats were not. Motorcycles moved at normal speed and did not conjoin with other motorcycles or cars. However, I often got propelled off my motorcycle by a car that hit me faster then the eye could blink. My only solution was to change pedestrian & gang cars to motorcycles using cheat devices. Those changes were only temporary and had to be reactivated every time which was time consuming.

The Traffic Speed Bug seemed to only affect scripted traffic. Boats, motorcycles and police cars are never scripted and not affected by this bug.
It's VERY annoying but I learned to live with it. It also had its funny sides, if someone chased me I would just run in the street and whoever chased me (usually cops) became road-kill. And it dramatically increased the "cars destroyed" and "people killed by others" stats.

I didn't have these problems until my "times cheated" tally exceeded 200,000 and even then, it didn't happen until I mixed incompatible codes and rapidly activated them. I thought I was the only person with these problems, and I thought no one would know what I'm taking about if I mentioned them.

What? You cheated 200,000 times or was that a typo?? Two hundred thousand?

During missions, enemy gangs won't randomly pull you out of a car or shoot you. However, they will walk up to you and badmouth you, but they won't attack unless you shoot at or hit them. Gang wars can't be provoked during missions except for a few exceptions such as Doberman & Home Coming. Note that gangs that appear during missions (Ballas in Crack den, for example) do not raise your "enemy gangs killed" tally. Only those on the street and in gang wars do.

Yes, they would just walk up to my car and taunt me. And I forgot to mention that I was unable to start gang wars.

Did the "gym bug" occur with every workout option? The "you look a bit busy, why not come back later" popup is only supposed to occur when you try to exercise or play an arcade game during a mission. Yeah, the game must think you're on a mission when you're not. But why, I wonder.

I didn't try every workout option in every gym, but I'm pretty sure I tried more than one in both gyms. I don't think the gym bug differ between the options in one gym, but it can differ beetween outdoor and indoor gym. I had the bug that affected both indoor and outdoor.

Bugs can be fixed by erasing your memory settings, but corrupted data files can not be deleted at all. In order of seriousness: Corrupted data>bugs>glitches>.

On a positive note, I think I know what is causing all your problems. The memory card you're using, did you buy it locally? It's possible you're using an NTSC memory card on a PAL game & system. Your solution is a proper memory card.

Is it not possible to format the memory card? I didn't have a problem deleting the files I've deleted, but I deleted from within the game. The save "files" are stored in one single save file that you san see in the PS2 browser. I've not tried to delete them in the browser yet, that'll be the last resort.

I didn't know there are NTSC and PAL memory cards? I did buy them locally, but that's no guarantee for correct type of card. This same batch of memory cards are working for other games, if that is an indication for anything. Can a NTSC card on a PAL console work for some games and cause problem for other games? I would think it either worked, or didn't work at all.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:21 AM

Judging by your response, I don't think it's an unsuitable memory card anymore. If the memory card works fine on other PAL games, the memory card must be PAL, so it's not the memory card, but instead your game. I am curious what the problem is. For me, it later became 268,124 "times cheated" and I arrived at a conclusion: It's not the number of times you cheat, it's particular cheats you use and how rapidly. I share most the bugs you do (or variations of them) and I found ways to adapt to tolerate them. My reason for being annoyed most by the "traffic speed" bug is the fact it killed many of my GSF members and made my game lag. Despite the bugs, my game didn't yet get corrupted. There are two gangs that were removed from the game and I used cheat device codes (not the same as button cheats) to put them back in. I call them "gang 9" & "gang 10". I used gang 9 & 10 codes at the same time without regard to the warning that said "one at a time". It brought forth worse chaos and I quickly paused the game, clicked "delete game" and erased all slots. I began a new game and the nonsense continued, so I shut the game off, took the disc out, kept my memory card in, turned the system back on, went to my San Andreas icon (which later changed in appearance), clicked on it, tried to delete it and it said: "delete failed". Here is a linked video (not by me) displaying what I described:

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:33 AM Edited by OG Viking, 15 April 2013 - 08:19 PM.

I'm pretty sure it's right type of card, I don't think there are NTSC and PAL cards. I found a couple new cards still in the wrapping and it says nowhere that it is supporting NTSC or PAL. I think it's the same type of card everywhere.

NTSC and PAL are different TV screens, I see no reason why it should affect other media such as memory cards.
Perhaps it will affect game save files, but the cards themselves should not have anything to do with it. Prove me wrong. icon14.gif

I have also said why I think it's unlikely that the memory card is broken, but I can't be completely sure.
The errors was caused by something, either something that can happen at random on any PS2 system, or there is something wrong with my hardware somewhere.

I have another save file (GRAY IMPORTS) that I have not mentioned yet. Also this is before DOBERMAN and there have not been any gang wars.

In the GANGS stats for GRAY IMPORTS there are something that I find a bit strange. It says Ballas 29 turfs, Vagos 13 and Grove 11. This is correct. But it also says "Territory under control: 20.75%".
I think I should not have any "Territory Under Control" stat at all before Doberman. And is 11 turfs 20.75% anyway? But if this is a bug it is a persistent bug that does not go away, I have loaded that save many times and it's always the same.

To help avoid confusion, I have talked about three saves:

- WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS (158 hours) (the save we have discussed the most, it had the one occasion with wrong number of turfs)

- GRAY IMPORTS (234 hours) (persistently says I have 20.75% under control)

- LOS SEPULCROS (273 hours)

Edit: Colors.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:14 AM

Though I lack indisputable evidence, I have compelling reason to believe there are PAL & NTSC memory cards. Linked are two listings for a MAX Memory (16 MB) card and notice on the URLs that one says "US" and the other "UK". Games & systems do not say "PAL" or "NTSC" on them either, for some reason.

http://us.codejunkie...__EF000096.aspx

http://uk.codejunkie...__EF000096.aspx

I think we focused too much on the software and too little on the hardware. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Hardware. OrionSR (he commented earlier) tried to help a buddy of mine (That Grove Street Homie) with a problem of his. He suggested he translate his saves to PC format, upload it to gtasnp.com so he can replace the corrupted data with fresh data. He may do the same for you (if you ask nicely, I suppose), so see the first three replies in the linked topic: (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=322332&st=460)

Is there something the three saves have in common? The wretched territory stats seems to be among two saves. My perception is that one has an incorrect number whereas the other has an incorrect percentage. The "under control" percentage shouldn't popup until gang wars are possible. I used codes to put 125 territories on my game, so I do not know what percentage is normal at all anymore. Out of 53 territories (29 + 13 +11), I could do the math, but I utterly fail at math.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:10 PM Edited by OG Viking, 11 April 2013 - 08:20 PM.

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 03:14)
Though I lack indisputable evidence, I have compelling reason to believe there are PAL & NTSC memory cards. Linked are two listings for a MAX Memory (16 MB) card and notice on the URLs that one says "US" and the other "UK". Games & systems do not say "PAL" or "NTSC" on them either, for some reason.

http://us.codejunkie...__EF000096.aspx

http://uk.codejunkie...__EF000096.aspx

The card on the US page is for American customers (pricing in $) and the card on the UK page is for British customers (pricing in ). It could be the same cards for different markets, but it is of course possible that the cards are different.

I have a Max Memory 32 MB card here also, and the product descriptions are on many languages on the backside. The English language is marked with a UK flag and American flag side by side. At least this card seems to be compatible with both systems.

I also found a Sony 8MB card deeper in the drawer and I'm reading on the package. It does not mention PAL/NTCS, nor does it mention any regions or countries. The English description is marked only with a UK flag but it doesn't exclude American users.

Is it possible that there are universal cards and cards that are compatible with only one system? I don't think it makes sense but I can't say that I know.

I think we focused too much on the software and too little on the hardware. Unfortunately, I don't know much about Hardware. OrionSR (he commented earlier) tried to help a buddy of mine (That Grove Street Homie) with a problem of his. He suggested he translate his saves to PC format, upload it to gtasnp.com so he can replace the corrupted data with fresh data. He may do the same for you (if you ask nicely, I suppose), so see the first three replies in the linked topic: (http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=322332&st=460)

In the third post in that thread, OrionSR is explaining how to get the data on a USB memory and back, but for a PS2 noob like me it's not so easy to understand. I'll look at it again later and see if I can understand more.

Is there something the three saves have in common? The wretched territory stats seems to be among two saves. My perception is that one has an incorrect number whereas the other has an incorrect percentage. The "under control" percentage shouldn't popup until gang wars are possible. I used codes to put 125 territories on my game, so I do not know what percentage is normal at all anymore. Out of 53 territories (29 + 13 +11), I could do the math, but I utterly fail at math.

The files have in common that it's the same game, whatever I have done in the oldest save is also present in the latest save.

The file "WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS" was a bit corrupted one time when I loaded it.

GRAY IMPORTS have a "territory under control" stat that shouldn't really be there. It says 20.75%. I have calculated, and 11 turfs out of 53 is 20.75472 %. So the percentage is pretty accurate, it's just that it should not be mentioned.
The treadmill timer has increased a bit, but not the distance.

On the LOS SEPULCROS file, there has been gang wars. I have not noticed anything obviously wrong in the stats, everything except the tread timer look plausible. But an error don't need to be obvious so nothing is certain.
The treadmill timer has increased a bit (again!), but not the distance.

I have to test if I can start the treadmill without running on it, it is possible that I have tried to use it but failed. I'll see what happens with the timer when I do that. I have started a new test-game.

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (OG Viking @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 12:10)
In the third post in that thread, OrionSR is explaining how to get the data on a USB memory and back, but for a PS2 noob like me it's not so easy to understand. I'll look at it again later and see if I can understand more.

I doubt there is anything I can do to repair the types of problems in your save; I wouldn't spend too much time on this.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 15:45)
QUOTE (OG Viking @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 12:10)

I doubt there is anything I can do to repair the types of problems in your save; I wouldn't spend too much time on this.

Okay. Thanks for posting.

--------------------------------------------------------------

As for the "traffic speed bug". When I looked in an old PM that I had forgot about, I see that another member here got this bug every time the playing time passed 596:30 hours. They had a save at 540 hours and every time they played past 596:30 the traffic bug occurred.

I know I got the bug around the same time, it could have been 596:30.

Have anyone of you played past 600 hours without this bug?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:01 AM

Interesting. I wonder if the Traffic Speed Bug on PS2 is related to the Traffic Glitch on PC. On PC, after about 150 hours the glitch is fairly apparent - traffic stutters, cars disappear and reappear backwards, sometimes they merge with other vehicles. After some experimentation we learned that resetting the global timer to 0 would clear up the problems with the traffics, and resetting the hundreds of other timers would fix most of the other problems caused by resetting the global timer. The Savegame Editor 3.12? (you want an older versions that doesn't change any global variables) can probably reset all the timers on a PS2 savel., which might solve traffic speed glitch.

GTASAddict
  • GTASAddict

0_0

• Awaiting Authorisation

Posted 13 April 2013 - 04:34 AM

Does your 32 MB Memory (or your Sony 8MB) have these bugs too? If so, the memory card isn't the source of the bugs, your system or game disc must be tainted somehow.

I suppose the only sure way to verify if two memory cards are different (in terms of PAL or NTSC) is to compare them side by side and to test them on each system & game. I don't have the means to carry out such tests.

When I first encountered the "traffic speed bug", I never paid attention to the time frame for which it occurred thinking it wouldn't be any relevant. If it occurs on my new file (currently 411 hours), I'll verify the timing and note back. I wouldn't be surprised if there are multiple versions of this bug. Lets compare & contrast. On the PS2, they don't "disappear" or "reappear backwards", they drive faster than the eye can blink and often conjoin with other vehicles. When they conjoin, they tend to catch fire and eventually explode. Sometimes, they'll separate after conjoining. On hills, they keep going at the same pace and fly instead of going down the hill. Does it cause a lag on the PC too?

The "Global timer" solution you speak of, OrionSR, do you have a cheat device code to enable it shall I ever encounter this bug again?

OrionSR
  • OrionSR

• Feroci Racing
  • None

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:36 PM

A cheat device code that resets all the timers isn't very practical. I don't think the global timer or weather timer addresses are known, and there are over a thousand other timers that need to be tweaked, and some of these are likely to be in dynamic memory where we can't get at them on PS2.

However, if I could locate the global and weather timers it should be pretty easy to confirm that the traffic speed glitch is indeed related to 500 hours of game play.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (OrionSR @ Friday, Apr 12 2013, 21:01)
Interesting. I wonder if the Traffic Speed Bug on PS2 is related to the Traffic Glitch on PC. On PC, after about 150 hours the glitch is fairly apparent - traffic stutters, cars disappear and reappear backwards, sometimes they merge with other vehicles. After some experimentation we learned that resetting the global timer to 0 would clear up the problems with the traffics, and resetting the hundreds of other timers would fix most of the other problems caused by resetting the global timer. The Savegame Editor 3.12? (you want an older versions that doesn't change any global variables) can probably reset all the timers on a PS2 savel., which might solve traffic speed glitch.

Problems already at 150 hours on PC? 150 hours in San Andreas is nothing. I have the PC version too, but my PC video card is weaker than the PS2 video card, so I'll play on PS2 until I get a new computer. I hoped the PC version would suffer from less problems.

But the advantage is that it's easier to fix things on PC, like resetting the timer. Strange that playing past 150 & 600 hours causes a glitch.

QUOTE (GTASAddict @ Friday, Apr 12 2013, 23:34)
Does your 32 MB Memory (or your Sony 8MB) have these bugs too? If so, the memory card isn't the source of the bugs, your system or game disc must be tainted somehow.

I have only used the 16 MB cards. I can test the game on the other cards, but it'll take around 600 hours before I know if they are any better. My game disc is in good condition, but maybe dust on the lens can cause read errors? But if dust on the lens causes read errors, the game should sometimes fail to load. I have never had problems with loading games or watching DVDs. Optical read errors should cause bigger problems. My problems are likely from either corrupted data on the memory card, or bugs in the game code.

OG Viking
  • OG Viking

Thug

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 April 2013 - 05:01 PM Edited by lil weasel, 17 April 2013 - 05:35 PM.

QUOTE (OG Viking @ Thursday, Apr 11 2013, 02:33)

<snip>
I have another save file (GRAY IMPORTS) that I have not mentioned yet. Also this is before DOBERMAN and there have not been any gang wars.

In the GANGS stats for GRAY IMPORTS there are something that I find a bit strange. It says Ballas 29 turfs, Vagos 13 and Grove 11. This is correct. But it also says "Territory under control: 20.75%".
I think I should not have any "Territory Under Control" stat at all before Doberman. And is 11 turfs 20.75% anyway? But if this is a bug it is a persistent bug that does not go away, I have loaded that save many times and it's always the same.
To help avoid confusion, I have talked about three saves:
- WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS (158 hours) (the save we have discussed the most, it had the one occasion with wrong number of turfs)

- GRAY IMPORTS (234 hours) (persistently says I have 20.75% under control)

- LOS SEPULCROS (273 hours)

Edit: Colors.

I started a new game to test out if it was due to corrupted data that it said I had TERRITORY UNDER CONTROL before Doberman.

It turns out that TERRITORY UNDER CONTROL appears every time I complete the HOUSE PARTY mission.

So this means I have one less problem with my saves. But still there are the other issues.

EDIT: Please, if your previous post goes unanswered, Use the EDIT butto to ADD/change/delete text. Do not double post.

King Andreas
  • King Andreas

(_)

• Members
  • None

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

Hey OG, it's been awhile. Somehow I missed your latest posts, thus never responded. Good news though, OrionSR invented a remedy for the Gym bug: http://www.gtaforums...entry1058178034

You could try copying your 16 MB memory card to your 32 MB memory to see if the bugs (sniper rifle, traffic speed, camera view, etc bugs) transfer. If they do, it's connected to the save file. The next step will be discovering remedies for the others.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users