Converting graphics into vector graphics

7 replies to this topic
Stephan90
  • Stephan90

Ich komm' vorbei im 7er und schieß' aus dem Schiebedach

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 April 2013 - 09:55 AM

Hello, I would like to convert these three pictures into vector graphics. I downloaded a program called Inkscape. But when I converted it, the edges and the colours always changed.

Can someone of you please convert them, but without changing the colours and edges? Thanks

http://i46.tinypic.com/24fn12e.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/1hvz81.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2jayds6.jpg

Narcis_speed6
  • Narcis_speed6

The Saint

• The Connection

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

You can't simply convert something into a vector form, you need to remake this manually in Photoshop.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Do you know the program Inkscape? It has a function called "Bitmap verctorise"

There you have the options: (all translated)

1. Single Scan: create path

1.1 along a brightness value
1.2 edge recognition
1.3 colour quantisation

2. Multiple Scans: creating groups of paths

2.1 brightness scales
2.2 colours
2.3 grey scales

Now I don't even know which of the 6 options to use. I achieved the best result with 1.2

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Play Toy

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:23 PM Edited by Graven, 07 April 2013 - 04:09 PM.

QUOTE (Narcis_speed6 @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 12:00)
You can't simply convert something into a vector form, you need to remake this manually in Photoshop.

Yes You can. Most vector editors have bitmap to vector tracing option.

Here are the traces, I have the vector files if You are interested to use them. Vectors can't be uploaded to an image host so what You see here are png exports of the vector files.
I have them all in .svg, .ai, .pdf and .eps format.
Note, I used very basic settings to trace these. If I put settings higher, there will be enormous amount of paths and it'll take long time to trace.
But the paths are easy to edit because all segments of all single colors are grouped into 1 object. You can easily manipulate them.

user posted image

Scaled x2 and removed the text from left down corner.

user posted image

Here's the second image, again used 6 colors. I will trace it again shortly, it takes much more time than the first because it's bigger and has lot more content.

user posted image

Same in 10 colors

user posted image

3rd image, 10 colors trace. You can see how the english text is little messed. But they are just segments and can be easily removed in vector editor.

user posted image

A little comparision of the original bitmap and basic vector trace.

user posted image

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 April 2013 - 04:38 PM Edited by Stephan123, 07 April 2013 - 05:47 PM.

QUOTE (Graven @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 15:23)
QUOTE (Narcis_speed6 @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 12:00)

Yes You can. Most vector editors have bitmap to vector tracing option.

Here are the traces, I have the vector files if You are interested to use them. Vectors can't be uploaded to an image host so what You see here are png exports of the vector files.
I have them all in .svg, .ai, .pdf and .eps format.
Note, I used very basic settings to trace these. If I put settings higher, there will be enormous amount of paths and it'll take long time to trace.
But the paths are easy to edit because all segments of all single colors are grouped into 1 object. You can easily manipulate them.

It looks very good. Thanks!

Can you upload them to rapidshare maybe in a rar package? Actually the first picture would be enough, since I want to let it print as a poster. So I need it in a good quality, when it is scaled up. Is it possible to add a mosaic effect (and maybe for all parts except the black areas)? At least I couldn't find that option in Inkscape.

So basically I need the first picture as a high quality vector graphic with and without a mosaic effect.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Play Toy

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:57 PM

Sure, here You have the face image.
Inside the zip archive You have the image
1.) Without black background. That's if You want to manipulate the face yourself and put black or something else in the background afterwards.
2.) With black backround.
3.) Mosaic face with black background.

All these are scaled 800% before exporting. That should be big enough for poster.

Also in archive are without background and with background vector versions in .svg, .eps, .ai and .eps format.
You can open the svg files in inkscape and play with them if You know how to.

In future, if You have requests use the gfx request section, thank You.
http://www.gtaforums...hp?showforum=64

Preview

user posted image

Zip download:
CODE
http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/3630247/file.html

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:10 PM

Thank you very much.

As for the mosaik effect. Is there a freeware program that can add another mosaic effect. I thought of something different, I want many small and edgy tiles. But the edges between the different colour areas should stay the same.

Slave Boy
  • Slave Boy

Play Toy

• The Connection
  • Finland

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:57 AM

You mean like the colored church windows? Then it´s not Mosaic, it´s called Stained Class.
There is a stained class filter in Photoshop, should be in some free editors too.
If You don´t get the wished result by yourself I can do it later, don´t have time right now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users