Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:21 PM Edited by Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian, 06 April 2013 - 08:05 PM.

This topic has the one or the other spoiler of past GTA games. Anyway, as of late, I have thought about how the storyline of GTA V is going to be with the new multiple-protagonists system and to be honest I'm a little concerned about it. Not because there is more than one protagonist but rather because of the story in general. If you ask a bunch of GTA fans which GTA game is the best one for them, then a lot of them will say that San Andreas is the best game because it has the biggest amount of vehicles and weapons of all games of the series, it's still the Rockstar title with the biggest map to date and it also has the most features. Then again, a lot of fans will say that GTA IV is better because it improved things such as the shooting mechanics, the cover system, the physics, et cetera and the storyline was better and the depth of it that makes the game this, what it is.

A lot of fans enjoyed the gangsta theme in the early 1990's of San Andreas, but on the other hand a lot of fans like the story of Tommy Vercetti that takes place in Vice City in the 1986's or the more gritty stories of Rockstars first third-person perspective GTA game and GTA IV. It's an endless discussion and it really depends on the opinion of everyone whether you like the story of a certain game more than the one of another game. Personally, I like the stories of GTA III and GTA IV more than the one of any other GTA game, except Vice City which was also very good, because they were more realistic and gritty, in a good way. Especially GTA IV seemed to be more believable.

I like San Andreas but to be honest, I think that the storyline suffered a bit from the "fun" and the fact that the game was over-the-top at some points. Realism and fun do not exclude each other, you can have both things but I think it was a bit too much in this game. The storyline wasn't complete garbage but it surely had its flaws and it seems to me that a bunch of them were only in the game, just for the sake of having as much missions as possible. The balance between the quantity and the quality of the missions was... well, there was no balance! Not only that, but the background story was poorly written compared to the one of GTA IV in my opinion. To me, it seems that story was like this just to get you around the map without caring about what was the main point of the story.

CJ came back to Los Santos for the funeral of his mother, and since he realizes that the Grove Street Families are estranged, he stays in Los Santos and he's trying to bring the families together. But once you have done the missions in Los Santos and once Sweet ends up in being in the prison, it's like the story makes no longer sense. I don't understand why we need to do the Zero missions because Berkley is trying to kill him. Why do we need to control RC vehicles to take over Berkley's base instead of killing him personally? Carl isn't able to do anything to get Sweet out of the prison until he starts to work for Toreno in the desert, near Las Venturas. But for whatever reasons, he is able to steal green goo from the Area 69. He doesn't care about what's going on in Los Santos either. In other words; the story is weak and doesn't make sense all the time.

You will probably ask why I'm mainly talking about San Andreas. The game was the last GTA game of the PS2-era and it was clearly an improvement compared to its predecessors in many areas. It was obviously fun but I think that the quantity played a bigger role than it should have been. It would have been better if San Andreas would have had less missions and if the quality of each of them would have been better. Since GTA V has three protagonists, which is something new in the GTA series (the original game had 8 protagonists but it didn't make a difference who you played as if I remember correctly), the storyline will be certainly shorter but you can play certain missions from multiple point of views.

Hopefully, this means something good for the story of the game. One thing I'm wondering though is, how the background story of each protagonist is going to be, and how much of an impact it will have on the events in GTA V. If there are less missions, for example compared to GTA IV, then it shouldn't be like The Ballad of Gay Tony. In this game, the majority of missions are over-the-top and I think it's better if Rockstar is doing it the way they did in all major GTA's; starting with simple missions that lead to the more complexe ones.

It is true that the story of a game like Grand Theft Auto isn't the only thing that matters and it doesn't have to be super realistic but on the other hand, the story should not be sacrified for little silly, funny "features" that are supposed to add something to the gameplay. It should be possible to take it seriously and I hope that GTA V will do a better job than San Andreas did. What are your thoughts and what could Rockstar do to keep the story interesting? Are there any mistakes that Rockstar did in past games other than what I have mentioned? Feel free to share your ideas and tell what Rockstar should not do!

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

At the end of the day, GTAV is being written by Dan Houser, who has failed to write a storyline that is not amazing yet (I don't believe he wrote SA). I think the three protags will be the catalyst for the best GTA story yet. The relationships the past protags had with others felt distant as we couldn't control them. But imagine if Michael and Trevor fall out. We will see both sides of the argument first hand and decide who to side with. It's the trio relationships that get me excited about the story.

Grand Theft Savage
  • Grand Theft Savage

'Bout that life

• BUSTED!

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:37 PM

Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way. I personally think San Andreas had the weakest storyline of every GTA game. That sh*t made no sense to me... Once you leave the hood, CJ gets into a whole bunch of unnecessary bullsh*t that doesn't have anything to do with anything. I only got San Andreas because it was gangster themed (and I live in the ghetto, so everyone was looking forward to it). It's a video game, so I don't have a problem with the game being more about having fun rather than the storyline, but don't throw the story down the gutter for the sake of fun.

I have a lot of confidence in GTA V's storyline. The thing I love most about it is that all 3 protags are so different from each other. Each of them have the potential to star in their very own GTA game, but R* put them in one. That's pretty awesome if you ask me.

To keep the story interesting, I would say that each protag should have a lot of personal missions. They're 3 different people after all. They should deal with their own conflicts. But I'm sure that's what Rockstar has planned.

LWE112
  • LWE112

Prankster

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Wut did i just read?

Irrational
  • Irrational

FederaÁ„o das Amťricas

• Members
  • Brazil

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:43 AM

QUOTE (LWE112 @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 19:52)
Wut did i just read?

One of the only good threads in the GTA V section.

And I agree with you, OP, I've always liked dark, sad and gritty storylines.

But by the looks of it, it seems like GTA V will have a poor one, unfortunately, since Rockstar is hearing the retarded fans, when I saw the minigun screenshot I just facepalmed really hard.

This is bad, GTA V was looking interesting by the looks of the 1st trailer, but since they revealed the 3 protagonists thing, I see nothing but disappointment coming out of this game.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (ClaudeSpeedRulez @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 02:43)
but since they revealed the 3 protagonists thing, I see nothing but disappointment coming out of this game.

You have obviously never seen Pulp Fiction.

BlackNoise
  • BlackNoise

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 07 April 2013 - 02:50 AM

But by the looks of it, it seems like GTA V will have a poor one, unfortunately, since Rockstar is hearing the retarded fans, when I saw the minigun screenshot I just facepalmed really hard.

This is bad, GTA V was looking interesting by the looks of the 1st trailer, but since they revealed the 3 protagonists thing, I see nothing but disappointment coming out of this game.

R* likes miniguns, which is why most GTA games have one. You're talking sh*t about fans just because you just don't feel the same way as R*. dozingoff.gif

Shoumaker
  • Shoumaker

y

• The Yardies
  • Cameroon
  • Best Signature 2013
    Best Signature 2012

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian)
I have thought about how the storyline of GTA V is going to be with the new multiple-protagonists system and to be honest I'm a little concerned about it. Not because there is more than one protagonist but rather because of the story in general. If you ask a bunch of GTA fans which GTA game is the best one for them, then a lot of them will say that San Andreas is the best game because it has the biggest amount of vehicles and weapons of all games of the series, it's still the Rockstar title with the biggest map to date and it also has the most features. Then again, a lot of fans will say that GTA IV is better because it improved things such as the shooting mechanics, the cover system, the physics, et cetera and the storyline was better and the depth of it that makes the game this, what it is.

I get that you're worried about GTA V implementing the three protagonists but what does this have to do with San Andreas having the biggest amount of vehicles and weapons of all GTA games of the series and IV having a better storyline and things such as the shooting mechanics, the cover system, the physics ?

Not only that, but the background story was poorly written compared to the one of GTA IV in my opinion. To me, it seems that story was like this just to get you around the map without caring about what was the main point of the story.

I definitely agree that the main story line of San Andreas was poor compared to IV but in no way do I think the story was only a tool to get you around the map. Well if you say this then we can say this is the case for all the GTA games that have been released so far (Even IV!). As you progress with the missions in the game you unlock different parts of the map so the story-line has to be used as a tool to go around the map. In GTA IV at first we start out at broker and when Romans apartment is burnt down after Dmitri Betrays him we have to move on to Bohan. And when things get a little better we move on to Algoquin and then as we start to work for Jimmy Peggorino or Phil Bell we move onto Alderney. I don't think you have noticed but R* have used the Story line to get around the map! Also In San Andreas I feel CJ had to go to the badlands because Tenpenny took him there and to SF because he won the deed to the garage at the Races. I must say it was fairly annoying where Toreno just popped out of no-where to force you to become a pilot etc... (After Yay - Ka Boom Boom) which is one of the reasons why I think the story is criticized a lot.

I don't understand why we need to do the Zero missions because Berkley is trying to kill him. Why do we need to control RC vehicles to take over Berkley's base instead of killing him personally?

Berkley actually never tried to kill Zero in the first place which is why Zero didn't order Carl to kill him, It was only a rivalry between the two but not so serious that they needed to kill each other. Zero's fascination for Remote controlled vehicles was only one way to implement RC missions in the game which aided making San Andreas's missions more unique compared to IV. This is something IV lacked as every mission felt like going from point A to B by a vehicle, Some sort of shoot-out commencing, then the mission ending once the shootout ends.

It was obviously fun but I think that the quantity played a bigger role than it should have been. It would have been better if San Andreas would have had less missions and if the quality of each of them would have been better.

This actually boils down to the personal preference of people. Some people enjoy missions that have a crazy appeal to them and some people enjoy it when the missions are more realistic per se. Also I donít understand what you mean by ďless missions and if the quality of each of them would have been better. ď I can agree to a certain extent that GTA San Andreasí story line was weak but I donít feel the quality of them were bad in any way. I feel IVís missions are the ones which where monotonous and repetitive.

Since GTA V has three protagonists, which is something new in the GTA series (the original game had 8 protagonists but it didn't make a difference who you played as if I remember correctly), the storyline will be certainly shorter but you can play certain missions from multiple point of views.

The entire story line will be shorter as there are three protagonists but Iím certain the total number of missions in the entire game will be Eighty to ninety like any other major GTA game in my personal opinion.

If there are less missions, for example compared to GTA IV, then it shouldn't be like The Ballad of Gay Tony. In this game, the majority of missions are over-the-top and I think it's better if Rockstar is doing it the way they did in all major GTA's; starting with simple missions that lead to the more complexe ones.

The thing is I feel R* needed to make a game in the HD era which was filled with over-the-top missions. As IV and TLaD were games that didnít have that fun factor in them. Again this is based on the personal preference of people and the way they want the missions to be presented. And Tbogt was a DLC which only contained 25 missions so they didnít have time to start with simple missions leading to more complex ones, I doubt this will be the case for V though.

Feel free to share your ideas and tell what Rockstar should not do!

I feel R* should aim for a combination of Fun and Realism which we havenít really seen in any GTA game yet. Every grand theft auto game is either too realistic or too over the top so I hope they can put an end to that.

omer19992010
  • omer19992010

Grove Street OG

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (kesta195 @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 19:28)
At the end of the day, GTAV is being written by Dan Houser, who has failed to write a storyline that is not amazing yet (I don't believe he wrote SA). I think the three protags will be the catalyst for the best GTA story yet. The relationships the past protags had with others felt distant as we couldn't control them. But imagine if Michael and Trevor fall out. We will see both sides of the argument first hand and decide who to side with. It's the trio relationships that get me excited about the story.

GTA 4 storyline was amazing and Dan Houser wrote red dead redemption which was an amazing storyline as well.
GTA San Andreas storyline was written by
Dan Houser
James Worrall
Dj Pooh

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:32 PM

Wut did i just read?

One of the only good threads in the GTA V section.

And I agree with you, OP, I've always liked dark, sad and gritty storylines.

A hand held minigun is not completely implausible. I wouldn't worry about the story. There WILL be serious and emotional moments in this game. The tone may be slightly lighter than IV's but that's hardly an issue. It will be a breath of fresh air. And like I said earlier, the three protagonists mechanic will only further improve the storyline, as we will see three relationships created, progress, falter, rekindled etc all whilst playing all three sides of this trio. To be honest, I loved IV's storyline, and I can't wait for V's. It will be different, but equally good, mark my words.

Michael5074
  • Michael5074

High Ranked Gangster

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

Wut did i just read?

wut did i just saw ! your profile pic ! it's a.....bear doing.....i can't belive it !

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2013 - 10:46 AM

Why is this on second page? It's a good read!

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 06:21)
I like the stories of GTA III and GTA IV more than the one of any other GTA game, except Vice City which was also very good, because they were more realistic and gritty, in a good way. Especially GTA IV seemed to be more believable.

Spoilers within this post about previous GTA's.

I almost 100% agree with this, for me GTA III had the best storyline Vice City being a close second, GTA IV I have mixed feelings for. The reason I feel GTA III has the best story is because instead of having the main focus the whole game - which was killing Catalina - the focus shifted (Which every GTA has done.) But it did so in a way that made sense. See originally, Claude was broke, so he started working for Luigi, who happened to know the crime bosses, and then Claude is working for The Mafia, Then The Don feels Claude knows too much and tries to kill him, Claude gets the tip-off and does the only thing that can help, kills the Don. He needs to leave the city after that. He starts working another gang who decided to help him due to his connections, and then it continues on, until eventually he comes across Catalina again due to the story arc, and finally has the power to kill her.

This is different to San Andreas because San Andreas forgets about Sweet for quite some time in the middle (And Los Santos like you mentioned), but for no real reason, CJ actually works for some complete strangers because it's supposed to help get Sweet, but there is no logical reason as to why it would help. Zero being a good example, yes I enjoyed those missions, but it was so off-track and the motivation was still to get Sweet, not to earn money like Claude, who wanted to kill Catalina, but who also wanted to establish a life hence why he was doing things other than just blindly trying to get to Catalina,
I know my explanation is a bit shaky, But i'm sure you understand.

The balance between the quantity and the quality of the missions was... well, there was no balance! Not only that, but the background story was poorly written compared to the one of GTA IV in my opinion. To me, it seems that story was like this just to get you around the map without caring about what was the main point of the story

[...]. It was obviously fun but I think that the quantity played a bigger role than it should have been. It would have been better if San Andreas would have had less missions and if the quality of each of them would have been better.

I disagree on the missions being quantity over quality in terms of mission design, the missions were brilliant and fun, well designed, the difficulty level was just about right for many of them, with plenty of variety, the balance of missions was great.

I do however think that there were too many missions for the story to safely keep up, the missions - like I already mentioned - were great, but as you stated, the background story for the reasoning of the missions was very shaky, the quality of the story for the number of missions was bad. Just like you mentioned, why we were flying planes for Zero didn't make much sense, but it did add variety.

Since GTA V has three protagonists, which is something new in the GTA series (the original game had 8 protagonists but it didn't make a difference who you played as if I remember correctly), the storyline will be certainly shorter but you can play certain missions from multiple point of views.

Hopefully, this means something good for the story of the game. One thing I'm wondering though is, how the background story of each protagonist is going to be, and how much of an impact it will have on the events in GTA V. If there are less missions, for example compared to GTA IV, then it shouldn't be like The Ballad of Gay Tony.

I already said pretty much this exact same thing in another topic, in fact i'm just going to copy-paste and edit a little bit.

Most of the GTA games lose focus somewhere midway through the story and we have discussed that already, it's pretty hard to stay on track with only 1 character to follow for a whole 20-25 hours, so the story needs to go somewhere off-track to keep it interesting, with 3 protagonists, this doesn't need to be done because each character's story can be cropped short, TBOGT and TLAD were great in the sense that the stories were shorter and well on track, whilst still being interesting, they made less missions for each protagonist, but there was more variety within these missions, San Andreas also had plenty of variety, but it was at the cost of the storyline. GTA IV had a good storyline that didn't turn ridiculous, but the missions were lacking greatly in variety, unless they write another story like GTA III, multiple protagonists is the best way to give the story solid focus for each protagonist, but still have a 25 hour storyline because there is 3 storylines, and they will all be focussed.

kesta195
  • kesta195

L.S.P.D.

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:23 AM

QUOTE (Shockenheim @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 10:46)
Why is this on second page? It's a good read!

Apparently most people on this forum would rather read continually recycled threads or troll threads, whilst these interesting threads die out.

The Odyssey
  • The Odyssey

Big Homie

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

Great topic Brian! (Im just going to call you that)

Considering the fact that there is 3 protagonists, there will probably be some story that has to do with each character that intertwines with each other. Kind of like the trinity in IV. This may lead to a lot of missions that explain how/why this ended up like that For example: In IV, Niko kills Jim because Johnny stole the money from the diamonds that was meant for Ray. IV and TLAD (Maybe not BoGT) Had the trinity but also had great storylines that didn't have to do with the trinity. Because of this, I think that will take up some of the story. But at the same time, focus on the story between the 3 protags.

The story behind SA was being successful, but forgetting about the things that matter back home. Watch this Video to see what i'm talking about. And R* probably decided to push this story by throwing in stuff like stealing alien sperm and claiming its because he forgot about Grove St. SA had a few small storylines in the game. (Casino Heist, The car company thing) But the main one was the Los Santos storyline. Because there's 3 protaganists, I think there will be 3 main storylines.

Because of this, in my opinion, I think that V will have a long lasting storyline, but at the same time have the majority if missions relate to it. Hope you understood.

Bmike904
  • Bmike904

Rat

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:24 PM

So much reading. mercie_blink.gif

Red XIII
  • Red XIII

the middle of nowhere, the centre of everywhere.

• BUSTED!
  • None

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

I think CJ done most of them missions to gain wealth and get to know people who can help him. the story needed to drift away after los santos otherwise it would just get boring. also f*ck realism, man. videogames and realism should never be in the same sentence. opinion.

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:37 PM

QUOTE (Bmike904 @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 13:24)
So much reading. mercie_blink.gif

More users here should take a look at this OP. The quality is even better.

Master of San Andreas
  • Master of San Andreas

Leaving with a big bang, you guys rock.

• BUSTED!

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Zero's missions were the worst that I had ever played in any game. They were useless and not really needed. The Countryside missions were kind of dead and The Truth was one of the worst characters IMO. CJ was a whiny little kid and I found that annoying. Catalina's stupid missions were annoying as well and don't get me started on Learning to Fly.

I agree with you. The 'fun' factor was spoiled by some useless missions. There was no need for Zero or any of his missions at all. Zero's missions had a kind of any objective that you had to help him so that he could defeat some kid called Berkley who beat him in some science competition. Seriously, CJ was seeking revenge for his mom and to try to get Sweet out of Prison, So what the hell did Zero have to do with that.

There were definitely good missions in San Andreas. I really enjoyed the Los Santos ghetto missions and the Las Venturas missions like 'Saints Marks Bistro' were unique and fun. I also found Freefall relatively easy unlike other gamers.

GTA Vice City's storyline was really fun. Every mission was interesting simple and fun. The only mission that I found annoying was Demolition Man but that is a piece of cake compared to Learning to Fly.

GTA IV was again unique. The protagonist was new, Niko from Serbia seeking the American Dream and the choices like Deal or Revenge. So that was really cool.

About GTA V, I'm pretty sure there will be more missions for Trevor. In the trailer and screenshots I see he's the one who's doing all the dirty work. There will be more missions depending on the type of storyline the story has. If the story focuses on the life of the 3 protagonists like in the movie 'Pulp Fiction' then it will be pretty long. There may also be the ability to change protagonists in a mission like in Max Payne 2. I'm probably guessing the main and tough missions would involve controlling all the protagonists at least once in that mission.

That being said, There is a chance of Micheal going down to Poverty and Trevor and Franklin becoming rich. It isn't necessary that that the 3 are friends, there is a chance that Trevor and Franklin betray Micheal and steal his cash. We know Micheal is the 'rich' guy and Trevor and Franklin not so much.

There is also the chance of death involving one of the Protagonists, Maybe Micheal? I am inclined to think if this were to happen it would be Micheal because as I said he is the rich guy so Trevor/Franklin or maybe both together, kill him in the finale and steal his cash.

All in all. Let's hope Rockstar don't put any annoying missions like they did in San Andreas.

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

QUOTE (Master of San Andreas @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 13:41)
There is also the chance of death involving one of the Protagonists, Maybe Micheal? I am inclined to think if this were to happen it would be Micheal because as I said he is the rich guy so Trevor/Franklin or maybe both together, kill him in the finale and steal his cash.

All in all. Let's hope Rockstar don't put any annoying missions like they did in San Andreas.

Thought Rockstar mentioned that the protaganists all still were playable at the end of the storyline. Michael broke could be fun icon14.gif

AtomicPunk
  • AtomicPunk

I'm your huckleberry

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 01:52 PM

I think the story in V will be the same mediocrity as always unless the Housers bring in higher level writers. Dan is no QT.

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (AtomicPunk @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 13:52)
I think the story in V will be the same mediocrity as always unless the Housers bring in higher level writers. Dan is no QT.

Well the evolve with every game they make. Putting three stories into one game is not something you do unless you're 100% sure about your writing skills.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:05 PM

I'm not sure why you are equating this generation's GTA's with last last gen's. All of Dan Houser's stories this generation have been of a similar quality, dealing with more complex themes & characters. I expect this will be the best yet, combining a serious story, humour & some fun elements missing from IV.

Also, it's been confirmed that there'll be more missions working for yourself, less errand missions, more freeform or freedom in how you complete some missions. The entire game is huge in comparison to IV, except the story, which is apparently going to be of similar length to RDR or IV (that's all three protagonists stories).

Dbns_Finest
  • Dbns_Finest

"Did I ever tell you the definition of insanity?"

• Members
  • South-Africa

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:09 PM

Great thread icon14.gif

I agree with you that the story in GTA SA was quite weak (lol why would a gangbanger be stealing 'green goo' from the government, makes no sense at all) I love IV. If the story sucked I would have stopped playing it in 2008. I don't think you need to worry about V's story. Niko , luis and johnnny were all great characters, so I expect Franklin Trevor and Micheal to be great too.

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (jamieleng @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 14:05)
\The entire game is huge in comparison to IV, except the story, which is apparently going to be of similar length to RDR or IV (that's all three protagonists stories).

That's short. Like 25 missions each.

jamieleng
  • jamieleng

Chafing the Chimp is totally natural behaviour!

• Members
  • England

Posted 08 April 2013 - 02:31 PM

QUOTE (Shockenheim @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 14:14)
QUOTE (jamieleng @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 14:05)
\The entire game is huge in comparison to IV, except the story, which is apparently going to be of similar length to RDR or IV (that's all three protagonists stories).

That's short. Like 25 missions each.

I have to assume that the story is as long as it needs to be without padding the game out with long drives, fetch quests & repetitive missions. Hopefully the replay factor will come from the character switching mechanic & more freedom in how you complete your objectives during missions. For example, you can use a vehicle of your choosing as opposed to being forced to drive a car.

When R* talk about the length, they are only talking about the main storyline. Hopefully each character will have separate missions that don't affect or advance the main story. Then you've probably got Stranger missions, dynamic events etc.

I can imagine some people were expecting the story to increase in size, relative to everything else. Quality over quantity.

Andreas
  • Andreas

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2014
    Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:14 AM

I don't think it's bad that Rockstar has included the minigun in GTA V. It's not that unrealistic because this weapon does in fact exist. Of course, in real life you cannot carry it like this, because the M134 weighs 16 kg and 1000 rounds would weigh around 15 kg. Not only that, but the weapon shoots around 6000 bullets per minute which are 100 bullets per second. It wouldn't be possible to fire the gun if it's not mounted on some sort of platform, let alone shooting accurate with it. It's a videogame and not everything has to be realistic, a few over-the-top features do not harm. As for the multiple protagonists system, I do not think that this is a bad idea. It's something new and I'm glad that Rockstar is still one of the developers who like to include something new in their games. The system could actually work out pretty well if Rockstar implements it properly which I think and hope. I find it interesting what they said in an Q&A in November. They said that you are playing the protagonist and the antagonist at the same time. They never did that before and who knows, maybe the game will have shocking moments like Red Dead Redemption and L.A. Noire had. Those who have played both games, know what happens with the protagonists of each game.

QUOTE (shoumic @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 17:29)
definitely agree that the main story line of San Andreas was poor compared to IV but in no way do I think the story was only a tool to get you around the map. Well if you say this then we can say this is the case for all the GTA games that have been released so far (Even IV!). As you progress with the missions in the game you unlock different parts of the map so the story-line has to be used as a tool to go around the map. In GTA IV at first we start out at broker and when Romans apartment is burnt down after Dmitri Betrays him we have to move on to Bohan. And when things get a little better we move on to Algoquin and then as we start to work for Jimmy Peggorino or Phil Bell we move onto Alderney. I don't think you have noticed but R* have used the Story line to get around the map! Also In San Andreas I feel CJ had to go to the badlands because Tenpenny took him there and to SF because he won the deed to the garage at the Races. I must say it was fairly annoying where Toreno just popped out of no-where to force you to become a pilot etc... (After Yay - Ka Boom Boom) which is one of the reasons why I think the story is criticized a lot.

Like I said, Carl came back to Los Santos for the funeral of his mother and as he realized that the GSF are estranged, he stays in Los Santos. As time goes, the Families expand and they take over one territory after another one. In the last LS mission when Smoke and Ryder are betraying the Grove, and the Ballas lure the GSF members, including Sweet, into an ambush, C.R.A.S.H. are bringing CJ to the Badlands and Sweet goes to the jail. You have to kill a witness for Officer Tenpenny and he tells you to leave Smoke alone. Once you get the deed to the garage in San Fierro, the story doesn't have much to do anymore with getting Sweet out of the prison. The focus now is killing every member of the Loco syndicate so that Smoke can't sell drugs in LS and making money with things like properties. After the mission you have already mentioned, Mike Toreno is calling you, which you don't know at the time as his voice is totally different. You know that it's him once you are in Las Venturas and after you have done the mission 'Monster' because you meet him.

What bothers me is the fact that we have to buy a airfield in the middle of the desert where we have to learn to fly, and that we have to do missions for example where we have to kill CIA Agents who try to damage the helicopter with the smuggled goods and other things, in order to get Sweet out of the jail. Don't get me wrong, the flying school wasn't bad, I think it was one of the best ideas Rockstar had, but it's just the way it was implemented in the story that doesn't seem right to me. You also have to do missions like Vertical Bird where you have to fly a hydra-jet and shoot with rockets at communist boats while the military is chasing you with two fighter-jets to try to kill you. You have to steal a Jetpack in another mission, you have to steal green goo from the military, you can steal a fighter-jet from the military, you can destroy fighter-jets that are chasing you but you cannot go to the police station to get your brother out of prison? That is quite ironic if you ask me and Carl risks his own life for it.

The story is what you makes to get around the map, that's correct, but I think that was too obvious in San Andreas which was probably caused by the huge amount of missions the game had and the big map size. Well with "too obvious" I mean why did C.R.A.S.H. bring you to the Badlands in the first place and why is LS too dangerous after you have done all the missions in the first city at the start of the game? It's odd that the Grove completely disappears once you're in Badland. Bringing you around the map is part of every GTA game, but I think it did make more sense in GTA IV and GTA III than in San Andreas. I don't have to point out the reasons for GTA III as finn4life has already pointed it out perfectly in this post (and I have quoted the part below) but I'm going to point out why IV did well in this case.

As you already said, in IV you start in Hove Beach as this is the place where Roman lives and the taxi company is not far away from it. When Dimitri betrays you he torches the apartment and the taxi company, and Roman and Niko are forced to leave Hove Beach and move to Bohan. When the insurance of Roman pays for the burnt taxi company, Roman is opening a new taxi company. At the end of the second mission of Elizabetha, you have to drive Playboy X to his home which is in Algonquin and that is the first time you can enter that island. Once you have done some missions from Ray, Phil and Pegorino, you get a new savehouse in Alderney because they want to watch you. I think that makes more sense than some of the events that happened in San Andreas. I'm not saying that IV was flawless in any way because that's not true, the story was more realistic and made sense but the missions lacked variety at times. I think that's a matter of the taste.

Berkley actually never tried to kill Zero in the first place which is why Zero didn't order Carl to kill him, It was only a rivalry between the two but not so serious that they needed to kill each other. Zero's fascination for Remote controlled vehicles was only one way to implement RC missions in the game which aided making San Andreas's missions more unique compared to IV.

Fair enough. In the first mission of Zero, you have to fire with a minigun at the planes that are throwing bombs at Zero's satellites. In the second mission you have to fly a remote controlled plane that shoots with guns and you have to take down some of Berkley's guys. I don't agree though that this was the only way to include RC vehicles in the storyline of the game. Vice City for example had a mission where you had to remotely control a plane to blow up the boats of the Cubans. This mission made sense as you work for Auntie Poulet and she's the leader of the haitian gang. Both gangs hate each other. As unbelievable as it might sounds, it happened in the past that RC vehicles were equipped with bombs for attacks! I would say that this is dependent on personal preferences, whether you like the Zero missions or not. It could have been implemented in another way and apparently, you can continue the story and even finish it without doing these missions!

The thing is I feel R* needed to make a game in the HD era which was filled with over-the-top missions.

GTA V will have over-the-top missions and features, I think that's out of question but then again, they shouldn't exaggerate with it because too many over-the-top missions wouldn't be good either. There has to be a balance between fun and realism so that both sides, people who prefer GTA IV because of its realism and the people who prefer San Andreas because it was more fun (according to them), are satisfied. GTA TBoGT showed what over-the-top missions are in the HD-era, and I hope that there aren't too many of them in V as it was the case with the last IV DLC. Considering that there are three protagonists who totally differ from each other, chances are that there will be something for everyone!

QUOTE (finn4life @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 11:21)
I almost 100% agree with this, for me GTA III had the best storyline Vice City being a close second, GTA IV I have mixed feelings for. The reason I feel GTA III has the best story is because instead of having the main focus the whole game - which was killing Catalina - the focus shifted (Which every GTA has done.) But it did so in a way that made sense. See originally, Claude was broke, so he started working for Luigi, who happened to know the crime bosses, and then Claude is working for The Mafia, Then The Don feels Claude knows too much and tries to kill him, Claude gets the tip-off and does the only thing that can help, kills the Don. He needs to leave the city after that. He starts working another gang who decided to help him due to his connections, and then it continues on, until eventually he comes across Catalina again due to the story arc, and finally has the power to kill her.

That is a good point. It seems that Claude wanted to kill Catalina, for obvious reasons, but he wasn't able to do it at the start. He works for the Mafia, and gangs like the Diablos, the Southside Hoodz (Purple Nines), et cetera to work his way up. In the last mission, he has to pay $500,000 to redeem Maria who was kidnapped by Catalina. As you know, Catalina is lying, she asks the columbians to kill you and she brings Maria to the Cochrane Dam. That is finally the moment Claude waited for; he is able to kill Catalina /and saves Maria) and that is what happens in the end!

In GTA IV, Niko came to Liberty City because of the mails of his cousin and because he's searching after someone who killed all his friends in the village during the war. He didn't start the search right after he arrived the city, he helped Roman with his problems and he wants to settle down and get to know the city until he starts the search after Florian Cravic. Roman has debts to Vlad which is the reason why Niko had to work for him in the first place. After some time, Niko has a feeling that Vlad is in a relationship with Mallorie, who is in an open relationship with Roman. Roman figures it out and is upset because he feels like Niko has betrayed him. NB wants to sort things out or in other words; he wants to kill Vlad. That has its consequences though. Vlad was one of Michael Faustin's men but Niko's lucky and doesn't get killed for it, however, he has to work for Faustin (and his close friend Dimitri Rascalov). That in turn has also consequences!

After all the months of riots that Faustin caused, Dimitry asks Niko to kill Michael and he would be off the hook. There's a problem though; Ray Bulgarin is in LC and he's a business partner of Rascalov and that's why he betrays Niko. Roman and his cousin flee to Bohan and Mallorie introduces Elizabetha Torres to Niko. Through her, the protagonist gets to know Packie, and through him, he gets to know Ray Boccino. In the mean time, you have to do some missions for U.L. Paper. As time goes we get to know Phill Bell and Jimmy Pegorino and you have to do some missions for Jon Gravelli in order to find Darko Brevic who is the murderer of Bellic's friends. In the last 'mission' of Pegorino, you can choose if you do the deal with Dimitri or if you kill him for what he has done. Depending on if you did the deal or not, you either have to kill Dimitri or Pegorino in the last mission.

QUOTE (thegtaman531 @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 12:11)
Considering the fact that there is 3 protagonists, there will probably be† some story that has to do with each character that intertwines with each other. Kind of like the trinity in IV. This may lead to a lot of missions that explain how/why this ended up like that For example: In IV, Niko kills Jim because Johnny stole the money from the diamonds that was meant for Ray. IV and TLAD (Maybe not BoGT) Had the trinity but also had great storylines that didn't have to do with the trinity. Because of this, I think that will take up some of the story. But at the same time, focus on the story between the 3 protags.
[...]
Because of this, in my opinion, I think that V will have a long lasting storyline, but at the same time have the majority if missions relate to it. Hope you understood.

Yeah, from that point of view, GTA IV in combination with the two add-ons had already multiple protagonists, just with the difference that they didn't have to do with each other that much. Luis for example, met Niko only two times; the first time when he had to steal the diamonds and the second time, when Niko and Packie wanted to get back the diamonds. Johnny Klebitz was involved two times in the main story; the first time in a mission of E. Torres where he and Niko had to do a drug deal which failed. The second time when he and Niko had to sell a diamond, but then Luis appeared with a AK-47 and shoot at everyone he saw to steal the diamond. In GTA V however, all protagonists will know each other. Franklin and Trevor will get to know each other somewhen during the storyline as I mentioned above.

You made an interesting point with the missions that explain why things are how they are. Since one of the protagonists is also an antagonist, it probably happens that the past is cathing up the person that turns out to be the antagonist at the end. I'll maybe post some ideas later.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

execute me (haha giddit)

• Facade
  • United-States
  • Best Character 2016 [Niko Bellic Ped]
    Best Conversion 2016 [GTA: Underground] [Contribution]
    Best Topic 2014 [GTA V and Steam]

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Why hasn't anyone started searching for movies that would be similar to V's story? Most GTA games are inspired by a movie or two....

jogy
  • jogy

GTAF Alumni

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Wednesday, Apr 10 2013, 11:26)
Why hasn't anyone started searching for movies that would be similar to V's story? Most GTA games are inspired by a movie or two....

Ton's of topics about that here in the V section.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users