Photo
- - - - -

Dredd GTA IV model

28 replies to this topic
BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:31 PM Edited by BloopedOut, 03 April 2013 - 11:20 PM.

As someone who is familiar with modelling and rendering in Maya, I decided to give Max a go as I'd heard it was great for modelling and that a lot of game devs use it. So, my first model in the program would be for a game character, and since I'm a fan of this particular character, I decided to make him for GTA IV. Someone had already requested him in the model request thread, so here he is. Not completely done yet. There are a few things I need to know before I continue. From what I understand, GTA IV likes to have it's models broken into pieces. Do I have to constrain myself to similar UV's and map sizes as the model I wish to replace (in this case, Niko)? I'd really like to retain as much detail as my high res mesh as possible. Also, what is the poly budget allowed for NPC's? This model is all quad, and subdivides into approximately 20,000 tri's.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Render of low poly game mesh to test normals inside Maya. (for some reason Max doesn't use hardware buffer for normal mapping in viewport?)

user posted image

indra.
  • indra.

3d Modeller

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 April 2013 - 02:27 AM Edited by indra., 17 May 2014 - 11:38 AM.

very good model, you got skills.. 

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 05 April 2013 - 04:36 AM Edited by Frank.s, 05 April 2013 - 05:02 AM.

QUOTE (indra p @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 02:27)
for this community, you are not better the the other guy who ripp the model from judge dredd game then convert it to gta...
I'll agree to an extent. The people on here who know enough about this skill respect those who make things from scratch. The ones who don't respect/understand that are usually too insignificant for their opinion to matter.

On topic, great work. Can't fault what you've shown so far, but that's probably because i've never seen Judge Dredd before.
The hands/gloves look a little goofy(/weird anatomy) but maybe im only seeing it like that because i'm not familiar with Dredd. catspider.gif

Btw, if you're wanting to export to IV then give each body part (Legs, Upper body, Head, Feet, Hands) a single individual texture. I've used 2048x2048 textures on player models before without problems however you may want to tweak the mipmap setting on the texture when you put it in-game to get less blur but not too little.

Just checked, Niko has roughly 17000 faces.

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know that texture detail is not going to be an issue with the model, since that is where a lot of the character of the design comes from.

Regarding the hands, I did too think they need a little tweek in places, but the gloves have little knuckle and finger protectors on them, and there just wasn't enough geometry to extract those out properly. Probably why they look a bit strange, but they should look right once the texture and normals are applied to them. I'll probably go in and add a few extrudes for those little protectors later.

It's unfortunate to hear about the lack of appreciation of original models built from scratch here. There is no game out there that currently has a model of this version of Dredd, so good luck to anyone finding one to extract. The reason why I built him was because there probably will never be a game version of the recent film, and I personally wanted to see him in an open world sandbox like GTA. The other reason is for artistic value in that I can take the low res game mesh and go crazy on the smaller details for a high end CGI model.

BTW, what way do you create your mips?

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 06 April 2013 - 03:30 PM

If you import .png textures to a GTAIV wtd (texture dictionary) file then the mips are automatically generated from the full-size texture. If you import .dds texture images then you can adjust the number of mipmaps a texture has in the dds file and it will keep that when it's imported.

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:11 PM

user posted image

Nearly there. Tweaking the diffuse and normals, and then onto the specular maps. GTA4 uses those, right?

Frank.s
  • Frank.s

PingPang

• Feroci
  • None

Posted 24 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Yep. icon14.gif

MasterVampire
  • MasterVampire

Evil

• Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Nice!

junox
  • junox

watch out for gimps

• Members

Posted 26 April 2013 - 11:31 PM

BloopedOut
--------------
couldnt help myself love the DREDD model would love to see in-game with a LAWMASTER !!

have you any thought's on building megacity -1 ?
dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif

MasterVampire
  • MasterVampire

Evil

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 04:44 AM

Can you make it so we can replace the police or swat police with this model?

I think it would be better for that rather than a Niko replacement.

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 27 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

QUOTE (MasterVampire @ Saturday, Apr 27 2013, 04:44)
Can you make it so we can replace the police or swat police with this model?

I think it would be better for that rather than a Niko replacement.

There can only be one Dredd, though. smile.gif The model itself has been split into separate elements. All the details have been as accurately modeled on Dredd (Urban's likeness) as I could get while keeping with a game low poly count. Should be fairly easy to swap out the head and the badge for that.

Junox, MC1 could be a fairly simple thing to do seeing that the aesthetic from it in the film comes from the mega blocks. Build one of those and just replicate it throughout with existing building models used in generic GTA 4. Would rather concentrate on building a Lawmaster and maybe a Lawgiver, through.

JJ_Judge
  • JJ_Judge

Tommy Vercetti! Remember the name!

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Awesome job. keep up the good work, and have a cookie.gif
Love the movie, btw, imo it's even better than the old one with Stallone. Never read the comics though

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 May 2013 - 10:04 PM

Model done. Just have to rig and get him into the game.

user posted image

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 10 May 2013 - 12:13 AM Edited by BloopedOut, 10 May 2013 - 05:20 PM.

Hit a brick wall regarding the way the enveloping is importing on Niko and other ped models, and I've tried to manually do the weighting myself, but with no luck. It's either a GIMS problem, or my version of max. What happens is the order seems to be messed up regarding the vertex weights and the bones they are attached to. The bones on the leg, for example, might be controlling the envelopes on the face. They are just all messed up like that, in the wrong order, and all the envelopes are huge and stacked in a ball like a big ball of wool outside the character itself. Will try a different version of max, but otherwise this is dead in the water unless I find a solution.

Edit - turned out to be a problem with GIMS in max 2013.

junox
  • junox

watch out for gimps

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

will you make this available for only gta iv ..... i would like a version for vice city if possible

-
and good luck with the lawmaster and lawgiver

BloopedOut
have you checked out the new fanfilm of DREDD

there are many in production
judge minty is just out

there is an animation being made and also another 4 shorts

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:16 PM

QUOTE (junox @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 17:57)
will you make this available for only gta iv ..... i would like a version for vice city if possible

-
and good luck with the lawmaster and lawgiver

BloopedOut
have you checked out the new fanfilm of DREDD

there are many in production
judge minty is just out

there is an animation being made and also another 4 shorts

The model itself, and especially the normal, diffuse and spec maps aren't really being done any justice by VI's engine. The diffuse maps lose a lot of detail, and I can't seem to get the normal and spec maps working. I'd hoped it would at least get close to the source mapping. The game gives the model a sort of waxy sheen too. It still looks decent in-game, though, but it really could use the normals to be working correctly as a very large amount of this model's detail is captured in them, If anyone has any experience with getting them working correctly in IV, it'd be great to know how. I tried converting the files to a .dds with no luck either.

As for porting the model over to 3, I might do, if someone wants to take it and rig it of course. I don't have SA.

I've not checked out Minty yet, but will do now. smile.gif

user posted image

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:47 PM

Why is that you can't get the normal maps to work?

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE (quechus13 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 21:47)

I'm not really sure. I export the model with the material and the maps connected to it, but the import doesn't seem to carry the maps over into the ODR file. I check the folder, but they either aren't there, or they are Niko's original maps. Maybe it's a format thing? I save most of my maps either as a PNG or BMP.

quechus13
  • quechus13

Boss

• Members
  • None

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:36 PM

QUOTE (BloopedOut @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 23:24)

I'm not really sure. I export the model with the material and the maps connected to it, but the import doesn't seem to carry the maps over into the ODR file. I check the folder, but they either aren't there, or they are Niko's original maps. Maybe it's a format thing? I save most of my maps either as a PNG or BMP.

Show me your GIMS Settings.

I may be able to help you.

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (quechus13 @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 23:36)
QUOTE (BloopedOut @ Saturday, May 11 2013, 23:24)

Show me your GIMS Settings.

I may be able to help you.

No problem. I sorted it. I was piping the textures into the material in the normal method instead of opening the material editor in GIMS and doing it inside of there by clicking the buttons to add them. That worked. Normals could be a little more prominent in game, but I think everything is as good as it's going to look for IV's engine. He's finished, now for the bike. Are there any scripts to import WFT files into max?

junox
  • junox

watch out for gimps

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:28 PM Edited by junox, 12 May 2013 - 06:17 PM.

which lawmaster are you going for ?
1- 2012 movie
user posted image

also 2 other concepts muted for the movie
user posted image user posted image

or original from comic
user posted image

user posted image user posted image

dozingoff.gif dozingoff.gif

this got me back on the forums smile.gif

-------------------
-------------------
EDIT on further surfing i found this video model /DREDD +LAWMASTER
http://www.youtube.c...uQQ02Ig&index=3

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 12 May 2013 - 06:48 PM

I love the super bike look of the film version more than the comic one. There's something really imposing about that design. It's like a shark or something. The thing is, it's a beast of a bike. None of the model rigs in the game seem to conform to the size of it. Ideally, the seat would have to be sort of high up, with the front and rear wheels far apart and the handle bars high up with the spokes at an angle. The NRG bike in the game is the closest match to how I'd want him sitting on the bike, but the rig just looks to be too small and too low to the ground. One of the choppers might work, but then again, his seated pose on the bike wouldn't conform to that of a seated position on a super bike. I'll have to wait and see if a future version of GIMS allows the bones to be moved and scaled. That way I can do whatever I want and it would work in game.

junox
  • junox

watch out for gimps

• Members

Posted 19 May 2013 - 07:21 PM

hi blooped out - was wondering is this your DREDD

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

QUOTE (junox @ Sunday, May 19 2013, 19:21)
hi blooped out - was wondering is this your DREDD

It is indeed. I uploaded it to that account a day or so ago. Have to get another video of him on the streets. A couple of verts on the envelopes need adjusted a little bit, but he's done. I'm trying to get the bikes imported out of the game and into max, but the wft format won't take. I've tried using zmodeler, but the model won't import into that for me to convert. Can anyone here convert all the bikes to a format max can read so I can have a look at the frames and pick one that suits? Either that or a script I can use for max to import the wtf.

junox
  • junox

watch out for gimps

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:37 PM

i think the wft format in the latest zmod works with plugins if not itll have to be MAXX

but dont quote me on that i just model vice city and gta 3

will you be starting a new topic for the lawmaster ?

BloopedOut
  • BloopedOut

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (junox @ Wednesday, May 22 2013, 16:37)
i think the wft format in the latest zmod works with plugins if not itll have to be MAXX

but dont quote me on that i just model vice city and gta 3

will you be starting a new topic for the lawmaster ?

Na, I'll just plank it in here when I get going with it. I could just start building it in 3DSM now and I'll probably just end up doing that, but I want to have a look at the bikes to see how they are constructed first in the game. Have you imported wft files before in zmodeler? All I want to use that program for is to convert the model for 3DSM to read, and convert back again when I'm done. Dredd's good on his own, but he needs that bike.

junox
  • junox

watch out for gimps

• Members

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:30 PM Edited by junox, 23 May 2013 - 12:27 AM.

try in the tutorial section in forums maybe something there

EDIT its from 2009 maybe there an update ill keep looking for you

http://www.gtaforums...howtopic=416817

tutorial here gta modding com

Before following this tutorial make sure you have the latest version of ZModeler properly registered.

you need
Tools required: Zmodeler 2, SparkIV, General vehicle texture pack.
vehicle texture pack
http://www.mediafire...ral_veh_tex.rar

Download the General vehicle textures pack and extract it somewhere (here we'll call the folder "DIR").
Run SparkIV, click Open and select the vehicles.img file located in
pc\models\cdimages\
Choose the vehicle you want to export, eg. the Comet, so select comet.wft and comet.wdt and click Export.
Export both files in the "DIR" folder where we have the other textures extracted in the first passage.
With SparkIV click on comet.wdt and click View, then click Save All Textures.
Save all the texture in the DIR folder as before.
Summarizing: in "DIR" folder you should have the WFT file, all the textures from the general vehicle pack and all the textures extracted from the wdt with SparkIV.
Now you can run ZModeler and click Import.
Select comet.wft and it will be imported.
Here you need some ZModeler skill to modify the file as you want. Don't change the hierarchy tree.
When you finished to modify the model you can export it clicking Export.
Save the file where you want, don't replace the original wft file.
Run SparkIV again, click Import and select the new WFT.
Run the game and you should have your new Comet.

missing from this tutorial is the col file which is important

remember sliced option and collison option. if you dont click on sliced option when imported all the col file will import separate which means they wont be assigned to any part of the car. if you import with sliced on it does the job for you in other words you can edit vehicle then export it no troubles because if you export the no sliced option you will find when exporting and loading the game the car will have no wheels and you wont be able to drive it nothing.

Saliiim
  • Saliiim

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:01 PM

Is the Dredd model available for download?

I'd love to get the chance to say "I AM... THE LAW" at least once in my LCPDFR YT series ;)

petrovpeteski
  • petrovpeteski

Player Hater

• New Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:28 PM

BUMP!!!!!! is there anywhere to downlload this model its awesome

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users