Photo

GTA IV graphical issues PLEASE READ

7 replies to this topic
istaytrollfaced
  • istaytrollfaced

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:49 PM

First off, Hello to everyone here on the GTA IV forums! First time poster here, so let me give you a little backround info here.

Last night i decided I really wanted GTA IV and decided to bite the bullet and buy it on Steam. Download finished, played the game, and encountered the "Cant adjust graphics settings error". It continuously told me that I only have 60mb of VRAM, when in fact I have 1 gb courtesy of an Nvidia GT525M. Okay, thats fine. I searched around on the forums and found out about the "commandline.txt" fix for adjusting the graphics.

I applied the fix, first through Steam's launch options. It allowed me to adjust the graphics to the settings that I preferred. Fixed, right?

NOPE. I'm not sure what's going on, but when i click "Start" it starts the famous GTA picture cycling intro, but instead of loading the game after the 3rd picture or so, it cycles through the pictures endlessly without loading. Bringing up the windows Task Manager reveals that GTA IV is not responding.

I also tried creating the "commandline.txt" folder right in the main directory for GTA IV, using just the -nomemrestrict and -norestrictions command lines, and the result was the same. Graphics were able to be adjusted, and the game wont load during the picture intro.

I tried manually putting in the graphics settings, which i read about on the FAQ. -width , -height, -availablevidmem and so on. Same result as all of the other attempts.

I have verified that my video card driver is up to date (Nvidia CUDA 3.2.1)

Does Steam do refunds? mad.gif

Here are my system specs:

Dell XPS 15z

Windows 7 Pro

Intel i5 quad core @ 2.3ghz

6gb of RAM

1gb Nvidia GT525M

500gb HD

ikt
  • ikt

Ghetto Star

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2013 - 09:01 PM

That GT525 won't really cut it.

Anyway, you should be able to play it on low settings. Have you tried launching the game with the nVidia card? Does your laptop mention anything about nVidia Optimus? It's probably running off your Intels integrated graphics.

istaytrollfaced
  • istaytrollfaced

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:16 PM

I dont understand why my graphics card would not be up to par... it runs MW3 and all kinds of my other games flawlessly on high settings. I found the list of system requirements, and it states that a 512mb graphics card is optimal, so why would my 1GB card not be sufficient? The clock speeds are pretty good for the card too, IMO. I believe that IV is trying to run on the integrated graphics, which is only like 60mb of VRAM.

I set GTA IV to run with the Nvidia graphics card, but it still wont recognize it.

And no, the Nvidia control panel does not mention anything about Optimus.

istaytrollfaced
  • istaytrollfaced

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:59 PM

I tried copying the console settings exactly, just to see if they would work and allow me to load the game. Voila! im finally able to actually play the game. HOWEVER, it is clearly not the end of my problems. The graphics are HORRIBLE. It's still trying to use all 60mb of the integrated graphics. Roads wont load, building textures are absolutely hideous, and the game freezes periodically.

I cant believe that this version of GTA is so horrible. I have seen other people having these problems and they got it to work just fine, so can someone please help me out here? I tried the only fix that i could find, but there must be another way. confused.gif

Shiva.
  • Shiva.

Formerly shiva s

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:56 AM

Did you try updating your nVIDIA drivers http://www.nvidia.co...eta-driver.html

Increasing the View Distance to anything above 10-20 might also boost your performance so, give it a try.

istaytrollfaced
  • istaytrollfaced

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:12 AM

Yes, i verified that my Nvidia driver was up to date. I believe i may have found the solution to the problem, and what was causing it.

GTA IV was only detecting my onboard Intel graphics chipset (60mb) so even with the -norestrictions bypass, and adjusting my graphics to the settings i wanted, it would still not display like it should have. I kept tinkering with it all day, and finally i discovered a sensible solution.

I added the -availablevidmem command to the .txt file, and set it at 6.0. Now GTA IV thinks that i have in the ballpark of 600mb of VRAM, and it allowed me to adjust some of the settings to my preference. I have almost every setting maxed out, and it plays great.

However, im still having an issue with the game freezing occassionally at loading screens between missions, like while it is loading a certain video cutscene. Anyone have any ideas? its completely random, not just one mission.

istaytrollfaced
  • istaytrollfaced

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:16 AM

aaaannnndd it appears the problems never end with this piece of sh*t game. I closed the game after it froze just a minute ago, and now all of my graphics settings have reverted back to the low settings, and it now once again believes I only have 60mb of VRAM!

Are these command line settings not permanent?! Why the heck wont it save them?

I'm just about ready to delete the entire damn game, call Steam tech support and demand a refund, take my $20 and go buy the fricken console version.

Shiva.
  • Shiva.

Formerly shiva s

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:24 AM Edited by shiva s, 03 April 2013 - 02:39 AM.

Did you try patching your game http://games.softped...-IV-Patch.shtml

Try updating your GFWL and install .NET Framework 3.5

GFWL Update: http://games.softped...load-28982.html

.NET Framewoerk 3.5: http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx?id=21

You can also fix such problems by deleting the game settings file. Just go to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Rockstar Games\GTA IV\Settings and delete everything you see there.

[EDIT]

The -availablevidmem should be set to 1.5 and not above 6.5 or something. Erase everything in your commandline.txt and induct this into it.

CODE
-nomemrestrict
-availablevidmem 1.5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users