Photo

GTA III's magic atmosphere

57 replies to this topic
Tuniturntablist
  • Tuniturntablist

Ømar DmX

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:56 PM

I feel the exact same way, GTA III imo had the best atmosphere and soundtrack.

GTA hater
  • GTA hater

Saints Row is 4 winners

• Members

Posted 23 May 2013 - 09:15 PM Edited by GTA hater, 24 May 2013 - 02:25 AM.

That's why I think GTA 3 is so much more beautiful than GTA 4, whith it's realistic graphics and high resolution.

GTA Vice City was great but it didn't quite penetrate as deeply as 3 did.

It's the same with Max Payne. It had an incredible atmosphere. Max Payne 3 was just better graphics with the charme of Max Payne 1 lost.

thatstupidbug
  • thatstupidbug

Prankster

• Members

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:13 PM

There's another things that makes GTA III unique, for me... it's unfinished and unpolished. The fact that the game has some obvious bugs, glitches and beta/unfinished stuffs all around the map make the whole city feel "weird".

Some examples? Clips of removed songs in the Radio (or songs played in the wrong radio... a clip of "Rush Rush" from Flashback FM can be heard in Lips 106) and banner of non-existent radios (Liberty Soul FM), buildings doors that lead to nowhere (like the one in Love's Building... the camera even zooms far away when you enter in the door, but nothing happens), unfinished rooftops, unreachables and empty interiors, unreachable places like the lighthouse in portland or ghost town, unique veichles (like the blue car on fire in the first mission... it doesn't exist anywhere else), driveless cars (also in the intro and, I think, in some cut-scenes), music coming out of nowhere (in salvatore's mansion and from some buildings), name of places that didn't exist in the actual game (Liberty city Penitentiary), the short-wing dodo, bums in the tunnel (they are more a left-over of Darkel than an actual bug, but they are creepy)...

I like GTA III, and I like all the weirdness in it. And I think the unpolished stuffs just add a lot to the atmosphere of Liberty, like there's something "weird" around you that just doesn't make sense at all, but you can't do anything about it.

chapapote
  • chapapote

Homie

• Members

Posted 17 June 2013 - 11:05 PM

II and III are by far the ones with the best atmosphere.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Friday, Apr 19 2013, 19:10)
I certainly felt it, right from the very first moment I played this game. And this magic atmosphere of a gritty industrial city filled with crime was what made me fall in love with the game right from the fist day I played it.

I have played San Andreas and Vice City before III, but neither of those games had a similar atmosphere. Even GTA LCS failed to impress me with the same display, even though it was set in the same Liberty City.

Never have I seen a city so alive and at the same time so silent as GTA III's Liberty City. The ambience, pedestrian quotes and many sound effects from buildings - something that was missing from the following GTAs - was what made the city more complete.

Arise, Sir! This is so true. III manages to feel "alive" - both when noisy and when silent. I just don't know how they did it.

There are definitely less pedestrians in VC and SA though, and they're not as loud, for one thing.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 22 June 2013 - 11:55 AM

QUOTE (PaddsterG2k3 @ Wednesday, Jun 19 2013, 22:45)
Arise, Sir! This is so true. III manages to feel "alive" - both when noisy and when silent. I just don't know how they did it.

Heh, thank you, sir... blush.gif

Even if you are away from the hustle and bustle of the city's streets or Cedar Grove's suburbs, out in the sea or on Cedar Grove's hills, shall we say, you'll get these magnificent sound effects flowing in, of the wind blowing around with the faded sounds of city traffic, or the sound of the waves and the seagulls crying... THIS is what makes the city feel alive, even in silence.

These effects were surely present in later games, but the games themselves were 'dead', sort of, so these sound effects didn't add that much...

TomJK
  • TomJK

Tomxj

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 11:37 AM

I really like GTA III and i always come back to. No other GTA made me feel the same as in GTA III. It's somehow special to me maybe thats cuz its the first Gta i played?

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:50 PM

Well the misty dark cloud that looms over the city is a defining characteristic. The way that the city almost visually howls in the night, you know that murders are being committed.

drr26
  • drr26

"he don't talk too much"

• Members
  • England

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:26 PM

The pedestrians are still the most funny.

The game has well better atmosphere at times. When I first played it, it was one of the things that impressed me the most.

Nostalgia rampage_ani.gif

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 29 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (drr26 @ Tuesday, Jun 25 2013, 22:26)
The pedestrians are still the most funny.

The game has well better atmosphere at times. When I first played it, it was one of the things that impressed me the most.

Nostalgia rampage_ani.gif

Definitely, the pedestrians are very funny and fit in well!

The whole game from the moment you press play is magic. The missions, the activities, the pedestrians. They all are so unique and cool, it is unbelievable. I wish I could have seen and played the game in 2001....

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:06 PM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 19:12)
...I wish I could have seen and played the game in 2001....

It's never too late

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 17:06)

It's never too late

It's never too late for what?

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 20:23)

It's never too late

For picking up the game.

I, for instance, first played it in 2010, after having played GTA SA and GTA VC, and still fell in love with it...

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:33 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 17:30)

It's never too late

For picking up the game.

I, for instance, first played it in 2010, after having played GTA SA and GTA VC, and still fell in love with it...

Oh... well I have been playing it for a long time anyway but what I meant was, seeing the hype and when it was 'new'.
In fact, GTA III was the first GTA Game I ever played and it went all the way to my favorite!

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 29 June 2013 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 20:33)

It's never too late

For picking up the game.

Oh... well I have been playing it for a long time anyway but what I meant was, seeing the hype and when it was 'new'.
In fact, GTA III was the first GTA Game I ever played and it went all the way to my favorite!

I know what you mean... Time when there were no "modern haterZ" calling the game crap exclusively due to absence of swimming/crouching/climbing/bikes/decent planes/helicpoters/manual aim (for consoles)/Claude not speaking etc.

Yes, that makes me sad... confused.gif

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:00 PM

GTA III was the second GTA game that I played (VC being first), and I love the game. I even still play it regularly to this day, and am actually playing it right now as I speak.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 29 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 17:40)
QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 20:33)

It's never too late

For picking up the game.

I know what you mean... Time when there were no "modern haterZ" calling the game crap exclusively due to absence of swimming/crouching/climbing/bikes/decent planes/helicpoters/manual aim (for consoles)/Claude not speaking etc.

Yes, that makes me sad... confused.gif

It will forever make me sad sad.gif

QUOTE (DropThaSystem @ Saturday, Jun 29 2013, 18:00)
GTA III was the second GTA game that I played (VC being first), and I love the game. I even still play it regularly to this day, and am actually playing it right now as I speak.

Haha, nice to see others still enjoying the game tounge.gif

Jericho176
  • Jericho176

Spoon Killer

• Members

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:10 AM

GTA III and Vice City are still the best GTA's in my book smile.gif No game can duplicate GTA III's atmosphere

clockworkmechanicalman
  • clockworkmechanicalman

Crackhead

• Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:15 AM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 18:26)

It's my favorite era, as well. Largely due to the fact that GTA 3 is what brought me back to gaming, (and that I don't own a 360 or PS3). I remember back in 2001 I went to a friend's house and he was playing it through the top down point of view, and in between bong hits I asked him, "Is this the new GTA?" He said yeah. Then I talked about how amazing it looked, that's when he changed the camera angle, with a push of a button, and it completely blew my mind! We must have played it for like 8 hours that night. We missed a few parties, and dates that week. Everyone stopped by his place to just look at GTA 3, and create some chaos. Regarding the atmosphere in GTA 3's Liberty City my favorite thing was the fog. It really set the tone.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 14 July 2013 - 02:30 PM

QUOTE (clockworkmechanicalman @ Sunday, Jul 14 2013, 05:15)
...my favorite thing was the fog. It really set the tone.

For me, these were the constant pouring rains and dark grim clouds in the sky that set the tone for the game... Oh, and the lightning and the thunder... inlove.gif
Rain really fits Liberty City - which is "the worst place in America".

tpuk
  • tpuk

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 14 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Yeah I see what you mean, I think its cos its kinda like where I live in England in the sense that its mostly overcast and the sky is grey.

I also love how you can't just cruise around freely that you have to really watch what sh*thole areas you might end up in, but I guess that's the same with any GTA, I found more of an 'atmosphere' in San Andreas though

NotSmash
  • NotSmash

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

I have to agree with what everyone has already said. GTA III is possibly one of the best games I have played in my 16 years of being on this earth. It is the third GTA game I has played, San Andreas ->IV -> III -> VC (the order I have played them in). The atmosphere to me seems very mysterious or creepy. It is silent but loud, always seems to be raining ,which for me at first was annoying but I soon loved it because it was part of what made the game so great. The music was definitely a mood setter. I always found myself cruising down the streets of Liberty City jamming to one of the radio stations. The game also feels unfinished and buggy but that is also what gives it that great feel. If I recall correctly there is one bug after a mission that will make it impossible to get 100% completion after your first run? Not sure on that one I read it in a FAQ/Walkthrough on GameFAQs.

I never got to finish the game because the disc I got from EB Games was already scratched, every time I try playing now I get a Disc Read error on my PS2. Anyway there is so much to say about GTA III that gives it that great atmosphere.

~NotSmash smile.gif

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (NotSmash @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 16:48)
If I recall correctly there is one bug after a mission that will make it impossible to get 100% completion after your first run? Not sure on that one I read it in a FAQ/Walkthrough on GameFAQs.

It's called 'The Purple Nines Glitch' - and it is as follows: when you complete 'Rumble', not only will the Purple Nines not spawn on the current save (they get eradicated after the mission), they will be absent on any further new games you start to play after you saved the current one after 'Rumble'.

The way to fix it for PS2 is simple: just remove the memory card the very next time you start a new game.

NotSmash
  • NotSmash

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 14:00)
QUOTE (NotSmash @ Monday, Jul 15 2013, 16:48)
If I recall correctly there is one bug after a mission that will make it impossible to get 100% completion after your first run? Not sure on that one I read it in a FAQ/Walkthrough on GameFAQs.

It's called 'The Purple Nines Glitch' - and it is as follows: when you complete 'Rumble', not only will the Purple Nines not spawn on the current save (they get eradicated after the mission), they will be absent on any further new games you start to play after you saved the current one after 'Rumble'.

The way to fix it for PS2 is simple: just remove the memory card the very next time you start a new game.

Yeah that's it. Can't believe I forgot about the name and how to fix it. Is it possible to start without the memory card and then plug it in after the game has been started to save? Or would the person who wants play again be out of luck? Sorry about these lame questions.

Vercetti42
  • Vercetti42

Big Homie

• Members
  • India
  • Best Contributor [Gaming] 2012

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

I only properly played it recently. And it does have that 'magic' atmosphere'. It's a classic, not my favorite GTA nor my least favorite GTA. My favorite will always be Vice City since I played it first and it's really nostalgic and it's just a great game overall. I only played GTA III in 2013 after playing IV, SA and Vice City. So it took a while for me to get used to it but still a great game nevertheless.

Xegethra
  • Xegethra

Trick

• Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (Mr. Jago @ Tuesday, Apr 9 2013, 04:38)
To me it felt like GTA 2 totally rubbed off on III. The music, the sound design, and the characters themselves all echoed the same sort of ominous atmosphere that made GTA 2 what it was. The way cops do that wild laugh every once in a while when they shoot at you, how you can hear moaning and odd little tunes if you just stand near some buildings, simply the look on the pedestrians themselves, it's all stylized in some way. III's Liberty City has a unique look and feel to it that the newer entries never tried to replicate.

This is quite true, GTA 3 is in a similar vein to GTA 2....dark and dystopian. The Zaibatsu Corporation are still making drugs in GTA 3...even if they aren't as prominent a feature as in GTA 2

Has anyone seen the GTA 3 UK cover?

Look how futuristic it looks, http://puu.sh/3Dryc.jpg

All those neon signs in the background, really tall buildings....GTA 2 was set in a retro futuristic dystopia, inspired by cyberpunk works to some degree...it was dark, dingy and a horrible setting to be in. And I read that GTA 3 was going to be directly related to GTA 2, which could be true seeing how it has turned out. Of course, GTA 3 isn't set in a dark futuristic world, but set in a modern (at the time) dark world. Features from GTA 2 are present, the taxi side mission, criminal pedestrians, rampages, hidden packages, unique stunt jumps, Mr Whoopie ice-cream vans complete with the same jingle, the Zaibatzu company, even Claude Speed makes a return. I don't know when in development that they decided to make GTA 3 a modern setting....but I'm glad they kept the dark feeling from GTA 2, even if it isn't so cyberpunk anymore.

I love the sounds too, I'll never forget that echo of picking up items in the subway with that deep sound, or the weird countdown timer. I also enjoy the fog in this game a lot.

I've always dreamed of a GTA game like GTA 3, but with the future stuff from GTA 2....I know it'll never happen with the new more satirical approach to life of what GTA is now.....but maybe, if they can be convinced....they could bring out an offshoot side series of alternate universe set of GTA stories, set in that Anywhere City of GTA 2, and expand on that world like they were originally going to.

GTA 2 and 3 had the best feelings to them I think. I still like the feel of the later GTA games and we can't have all the games being the same, but I'd at least like one more game to be like a GTA 2 meets GTA 3 sort of thing.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

QUOTE (clockworkmechanicalman @ Sunday, Jul 14 2013, 02:15)
It's my favorite era, as well. Largely due to the fact that GTA 3 is what brought me back to gaming, (and that I don't own a 360 or PS3). I remember back in 2001 I went to a friend's house and he was playing it through the top down point of view, and in between bong hits I asked him, "Is this the new GTA?" He said yeah. Then I talked about how amazing it looked, that's when he changed the camera angle, with a push of a button, and it completely blew my mind! We must have played it for like 8 hours that night. We missed a few parties, and dates that week. Everyone stopped by his place to just look at GTA 3, and create some chaos. Regarding the atmosphere in GTA 3's Liberty City my favorite thing was the fog. It really set the tone.

Wow, like I was saying to Arsen Vitiuk I really wish I could have been playing GTA III in 2001 when it was new and no modern haters around. When I started to play GTA III it did amaze me with all that (I never played GTA before so there was no suprises with the 3D aspects) but VC completely overtook it for me until recently when I have started to prefer III. Weird how you can go back to a game and call it your favorite icon14.gif

tekkenfreek233
  • tekkenfreek233

Scheisse!

• Members

Posted 21 July 2013 - 03:59 AM

I just love how it makes you feel like "This is an awful place for awful people to do awful things to other awful people. You should really re-evaluate your reasons for being here." The best way to describe GTA III's atmosphere is pre-apocalyptic. Things are pretty bad, but you still haven't seen the worst of it.

In fact, a post-apocalyptic version of III-era Liberty City would kick so much ass.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users