Photo

GTA III's magic atmosphere

57 replies to this topic
Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:34 PM

Doing my 12th playthrough of GTA III, I've really began to realise that of all the games in the series III has the most unique atmosphere to it. I can't really pinpoint exactly what it is (definitley not nostalgia), whether it's the dark feeling, the soundtrack, or the voice actors & dialouge. It just seems that Rockstar has never been able to replicate such a strong sense of atmosphere in any GTA game since.

I want to ask does anyone else feel this? Or am I the only one?

Th3MaN1
  • Th3MaN1

Gangsta

• Members
  • Romania

Posted 02 April 2013 - 01:45 PM

You're not the only one.

ThatSpecialSomeone
  • ThatSpecialSomeone

• Members
  • Slovakia

Posted 02 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

I feel the same way. At first I just overlooked this game because I thought it was old and not interesting for me but once I started playing more I feel in love with this game. inlove.gif The city, characters, all those sounds, atmosphere etc. it makes GTA III an awesome game. It's not my favourite in series, but it's definitely one of the very few games that I will be playing forever. smile.gif

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 04:22 PM

Agreed. Its not just nostalgia. There is just something about III's LC that makes it feel more alive than others. Maybe it is how loud the pedestrians are?

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

I completely agree. III has an amazing atmosphere. It provides such a wonderful feeling. Sounds, pedestrians, characters, vehicles...it's all so great! Just LC itself provides a great feeling. I love everything about GTA III, and that won't change.

=OG4life=
  • =OG4life=

Hustler

• Members

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

Listening to this beat and closing my eyes automatically brings back such good memories of III's LC.Even though the game's features are limited it is a classic and much better than any of the IV era GTAs

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

QUOTE (DropThaSystem @ Tuesday, Apr 2 2013, 18:29)
I completely agree. III has an amazing atmosphere. It provides such a wonderful feeling. Sounds, pedestrians, characters, vehicles...it's all so great! Just LC itself provides a great feeling. I love everything about GTA III, and that won't change.

+1

I think the exact same thing icon14.gif

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

I have this same feeling........ with San Andreas.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

QUOTE (=OG4life= @ Wednesday, Apr 3 2013, 04:38)

Listening to this beat and closing my eyes automatically brings back such good memories of III's LC.Even though the game's features are limited it is a classic and much better than any of the IV era GTAs

Awwww sheeeiiit. Although I'm it a huge fan of MSX that really bring back the memories. inlove.gif

I love this game.

Alenko
  • Alenko

BEST IN THE WORLD.

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:18 PM

Don't know what is is, but I first started playing GTA with Vice City, which had a fun, viben atmosphere. But there was something about III's that just hit the spot, it did it better, I felt apart of something more. I don't get that 'magic' feeling anymore like the first play through, but I still remember it.

Ahhh, yesss.... magic it was.

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria
  • Best Avatar 2013
    Best New Member 2012
    Contribution Award [GTA V]

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:46 PM

The atmosphere of GTA III is very special and unique, there isn't any other game that feels similar to it. It's amazing what Rockstar did with their first GTA game in third-person perspective.

GTAforthe21thcentury
  • GTAforthe21thcentury

Thug

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

confused.gif I never got this feeling with III. Definatly did with VC and SA though.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 06 April 2013 - 01:15 AM

I absolutely love the III-era Liberty City. inlove.gif

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom
  • Most Helpful [GTA] 2013
    Contribution Award [GTA III]

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:26 PM

In my opinion III, VC, SA, LCS and VCS all had a magic atmosphere. I did like GTA III's a lot more (As it is my fav GTA) and I also loved Liberty City in the III era

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 06:55 PM

III just provides that feeling. I love GTA IV's LC, but it's getting kind of boring now.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (DropThaSystem @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 18:55)
III just provides that feeling. I love GTA IV's LC, but it's getting kind of boring now.

I wouldn't say its boring but it is not as interesting as GTA III's LC

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 20:09)
QUOTE (DropThaSystem @ Sunday, Apr 7 2013, 18:55)

I wouldn't say its boring but it is not as interesting as GTA III's LC

The good thing about IV's LC is how new things are always discovered. I find new buildings that I haven't seen before everytime I play GTA IV.

IgnasLT
  • IgnasLT

Player Hater

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 03:28 PM

In my opinion, Vice City had the best atmosphere. smile.gif

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 08 April 2013 - 08:35 PM

QUOTE (IgnasLT @ Monday, Apr 8 2013, 15:28)
In my opinion, Vice City had the best atmosphere. smile.gif

VC's atmosphere felt great because it really has that 80's Miami vibe to it.

Mr. Jago
  • Mr. Jago

it's pancake time

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 09 April 2013 - 04:38 AM Edited by Mr. Jago, 09 April 2013 - 04:45 AM.

To me it felt like GTA 2 totally rubbed off on III. The music, the sound design, and the characters themselves all echoed the same sort of ominous atmosphere that made GTA 2 what it was. The way cops do that wild laugh every once in a while when they shoot at you, how you can hear moaning and odd little tunes if you just stand near some buildings, simply the look on the pedestrians themselves, it's all stylized in some way. III's Liberty City has a unique look and feel to it that the newer entries never tried to replicate.

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

Grand Theft Auto III Chain Game Former Chief

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 19 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

I certainly felt it, right from the very first moment I played this game. And this magic atmosphere of a gritty industrial city filled with crime was what made me fall in love with the game right from the fist day I played it.

I have played San Andreas and Vice City before III, but neither of those games had a similar atmosphere. Even GTA LCS failed to impress me with the same display, even though it was set in the same Liberty City.

Never have I seen a city so alive and at the same time so silent as GTA III's Liberty City. The ambience, pedestrian quotes and many sound effects from buildings - something that was missing from the following GTAs - was what made the city more complete.

pentaxian
  • pentaxian

PKDY Crew Representative

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (Niko Vercetti 112 @ Tuesday, Apr 2 2013, 13:34)
Doing my 12th playthrough of GTA III, I've really began to realise that of all the games in the series III has the most unique atmosphere to it. I can't really pinpoint exactly what it is (definitley not nostalgia), whether it's the dark feeling, the soundtrack, or the voice actors & dialouge. It just seems that Rockstar has never been able to replicate such a strong sense of atmosphere in any GTA game since.

I want to ask does anyone else feel this? Or am I the only one?

its the dark atmos, plus a bit of this certain dark humor that isnt quite as prevalent as in other titles. gah, cant quite place it either, but its one of my favorite gta cities. the story and dialogue is quite awesome indeed, a flippin decade later.

i first played it long ago upon release but it sticks out way more than vice and certain parts of sa. tounge.gif

sucks how portland becomes all dangerous though with the shotty wielding mafia sad.gif

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:20 PM

QUOTE (pentaxian @ Saturday, Apr 20 2013, 09:40)
sucks how portland becomes all dangerous though with the shotty wielding mafia sad.gif

Which makes it even more attractive for me... When I decide to play the 'Liberty City Survivor'. tounge.gif

pentaxian
  • pentaxian

PKDY Crew Representative

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Saturday, Apr 20 2013, 14:20)
sucks how portland becomes all dangerous though with the shotty wielding mafia  sad.gif

Which makes it even more attractive for me... When I decide to play the 'Liberty City Survivor'. tounge.gif

having an instantaneous death by car explosion is not fun, but it has been upping the ante when i go to look for hidden packages, which adds a nice bit of tension.

GTAKid667
  • GTAKid667

• Leone Family Mafia
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 April 2013 - 09:44 PM

QUOTE (pentaxian @ Saturday, Apr 20 2013, 21:40)
sucks how portland becomes all dangerous though with the shotty wielding mafia  sad.gif

having an instantaneous death by car explosion is not fun, but it has been upping the ante when i go to look for hidden packages, which adds a nice bit of tension.

Well, you could of got Hidden Packages at the start of the game and you could have also got a Bullet Proof Vehicle from some missions to stop the bother of getting your car on fire every minute
lol @Arsen Vitiuk

pentaxian
  • pentaxian

PKDY Crew Representative

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2013 - 12:44 AM

QUOTE (GTAKid667 @ Saturday, Apr 20 2013, 21:44)
QUOTE (pentaxian @ Saturday, Apr 20 2013, 21:40)

Well, you could of got Hidden Packages at the start of the game and you could have also got a Bullet Proof Vehicle from some missions to stop the bother of getting your car on fire every minute
lol @Arsen Vitiuk

i always tend to do the hidden packages/collectables last. its always been like that for me for some reason. especially since you make so much flippin money from missions in III lol, i always just stop at ammunation.

i dont really flip at not having the right gear, esp. in a gta game. but vcs, now that was my first gta where i needed to really take advantage of side missions and their perks.

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 21 April 2013 - 02:39 AM

I usually collect hidden packages as I progress through the story. Hidden Packages are pretty easy to find in GTA III.

Why is it that when you blow up cars on GTA III, you get money?

Arsen Vitiuk
  • Arsen Vitiuk

• Members
  • Ukraine

Posted 21 April 2013 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (DropThaSystem @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 05:39)

It is a leftover from GTA2, as well as the money bonuses when you bump cars. The other leftover from GTA2 is the top-down view.

P.S. Did you know that the ice cream van in GTA2 and Mr Whoopee in GTA III have the same jingle sound?

pentaxian
  • pentaxian

PKDY Crew Representative

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 21 April 2013 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (Arsen Vitiuk @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 06:00)
QUOTE (DropThaSystem @ Sunday, Apr 21 2013, 05:39)

It is a leftover from GTA2, as well as the money bonuses when you bump cars. The other leftover from GTA2 is the top-down view.

P.S. Did you know that the ice cream van in GTA2 and Mr Whoopee in GTA III have the same jingle sound?

i never noticed the money from car bumping until this recent playthrough on my tablet. i actually got some $50 bonus flash across my screen. i was like wth? thought it was new.

PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:17 PM

I'm glad its not just me. I played GTA>GTA2>III>VC>SA>IV in order, but nothing comes close to III's atmosphere. I honestly think the loud, reverberation of the pedestrians brings the city alive. Rockstar dropped this in others and it just doesn't match up.

The guy with the headphones who walks past for instance, it just brings the city alive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users