Quantcast

» «
Photo

What are some movies that make you Think...

4 replies to this topic
Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 30 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

Hey Guys, I've been watching a lot of movies recently that sort of give off that vibe about morality and if certain things to do are considered "Right" or "Wrong". I mean movies like The Island, Equilibrium and Prometheus. Things that just make you question life and why we are the way we are. Any suggestions of movies similar as I like this kind of genre quite a lot...

Mister Pink
  • Mister Pink

ThePinkFloydSound

• The Connection
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 01:55 PM

That's a very broad search man. I think I appreciate what you are trying to do but you will still have to be more specific. For me almost every film questions morality. One of my favourite films Dead Man's Shoes would question morality. It's about an ex-soldier who goes home to his home town in the midlands in Britain to seek violent vengeance on those who bullied his retarded brother. The question of morality is; is it OK to take the law in to your own hands, even if you know all the guys were guilty as sin. Can they all be equally guilty by association and how would you differentiate between someone who was there when the bullying happened and someone who was actively encouraging it.

It's not a big-ass sic-film though like Prometheus.

Maybe you will like Gattica. Give it a try.

Cheat
  • Cheat

the only people for me are the mad ones

• The Connection

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think ethics and moral (and the ontological question of the purpose of life) are some of the driving forces in pretty much every single movie since they are also the driving forces in our lives, conscious or not, that often play a big part in human decision making whether we knew it or not. The movies that are very touching in the way they display moral to me are those that question the line between sane and insane and movies like Shutter Island and A Beautiful Mind are definitely very beautiful in the schizophrenic way they leave the watcher pondering what's sane and what isn't. The same questions are what drive movies like Taxi Driver and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest forward and are central in Fight Club, American Psycho, The Shining and last but not least, A Clockwork Orange. Though known to make movies with a more surreal nature, David Lynch asks the same question in many of his works, through some characters and plotlines in Twin Peaks and in his movies Inland Empire and Mulholland Drive.

That's something I love about postmodern films compared to popular movies made these days - the ethical questions such as who's the bad guy in the movie are often left for the viewer to interpret according to their own subjective opinions instead of building the movie on an ethically objective foundation where he or she is given the idea of a protagonist and an antagonist or bad and good forces since it displays that our society is becoming more and more free and allowing in ethics.

Criѕtian
  • Criѕtian

2K13

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:58 PM

I would recommend this one:

The first time I saw it I didn't really understand much of it. I saw it a second time when I became more familiar with the philosophy behind it and I simply loved it. It's my favorite movie currently. It's not so much about morality but more about life in general and how a lot of the obstacles we encounter are self created by our ego\mind.

GTA-King
  • GTA-King

I was alive.

• BUSTED!

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:02 PM

Brooklyn's Finest immediately comes to mind for me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users