Quantcast

» «
Photo

How would I go about pitching a show to a network?

7 replies to this topic
Niko Vercetti 112
  • Niko Vercetti 112

That's, just, like, your opinion man

• Members

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:06 AM

Being an advid fan of TV dramas (Homeland, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, etc) I've been coming up with a few concepts for TV shows lately and was wondering if anyone knew exactly how I would have to go about pitching these concepts to networks? Do I have to get into the industry beforehand (if so doing what exactly?

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Movies & TV section, so if it's in the wrong section can I ask for it to be moved?

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE (Niko Vercetti 112 @ Friday, Mar 29 2013, 01:06)
Being an advid fan of TV dramas (Homeland, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead, Sons of Anarchy, etc) I've been coming up with a few concepts for TV shows lately and was wondering if anyone knew exactly how I would have to go about pitching these concepts to networks? Do I have to get into the industry beforehand (if so doing what exactly?

I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Movies & TV section, so if it's in the wrong section can I ask for it to be moved?

Release a pilot episode on the internet or something. icon14.gif
  • pikachu2g likes this

MIKON8ERISBACK
  • MIKON8ERISBACK

My real name is Michael. #FACT.

• Members

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

It would help to get some footing in the industry beforehand. That's how Mike Clattenburg succeeded with getting Trailer Park Boys up in the air. He had prior experience and history in film production and was the host of a cable public access TV show in the early 1990s. Don't let anyone talk you down or discourage you, but it would help to work your way up and establish footing first. Taking film and TV production courses in high school and college helps. Make friends with people in the industry or people with ties. Get your hands on some equipment and resources and show off your skills on YouTube. The Angry Video Game Nerd did the exact same thing one day back in 2004 with some video editing equipment and some recordable VHS tapes, in other words, very humble beginnings, and look where he is now. smile.gif

Raavi
  • Raavi

• Antarctica
  • Best Moderator 2014
    Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 29 March 2013 - 02:04 AM

Connections. Otherwise good luck! You'd be the umpteenth guy with another good idea.

Tchuck
  • Tchuck

Grey Gaming

• Feroci
  • Japan

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:25 AM

How old are you?

The position for "pitching" for concepts is usually for those who have a pretty solid track record, which I believe you don't.

You don't just go up and go "hey, I've never done anything in TV/Media before, but I have this killer idea...". Trust me, those guys have heard all the killer ideas, and they have a bunch of people doing that.

What can you do?

Best way is to start writing it yourself. Write and write and write until you stop sucking. But don't begin with TV Dramas, because you won't get there. Start with smaller projects, something you could do in your spare time, and do it. Get some friends, start creating some bad videos so you can start making good videos soon. If it gets to a good standing, people will take notice. You'll get your first proper project from a big network. And then you can build from there.

Or you can always make a kickstarter.

ExtremoMania
  • ExtremoMania

Just a dose of metal everyday

• Members
  • Philippines

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:42 AM

Maybe you can send an email to the network, if that makes me clear you want to work there.

El Diablo
  • El Diablo

"The Devil" ™

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars
  • April Fools Loser 2015

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:51 AM

you need to be on the inside already and/or have connections on the inside.

MILLIONS of people have ideas for sh*t.
but you gotta' know somebody first or it's not going anywhere.

if you don't know anyone, you gotta' work many times harder and just be lucky.
you would have to develop some kind of pilot or concept using your own funds, copyright it, and then literally send it around to hundreds of network executives or hope that it gets discovered on YouTube (or something similar).

Antinark
  • Antinark

War is Peace.

• The Connection

Posted 29 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

There's actually quite a few ways of going about it, but a lot of it has to do with being at the right place at the right time.

If you're pitching a T.V. series you're definitely going to need a series bible and written treatment handy. You need to demonstrate that you have episodic content for at least a full season, ideally two, before they'll even look at you. You need character bios, format length and most importantly a target audience and distribution plan (on demand, television, web series, etc). Do tons and tons of research, find someone who is experienced as a story editor (they will be the biggest asset you will ever find as a screen or teleplay writer).

The most important thing about pitching however is being able to do it fast, succinctly and with a high degree of entertainment value. You need to sell yourself as a competent show runner as much as you need to sell the idea. They call it the elevator pitch, and you gotta win over your investors within the first 30 seconds or you're toast.

If you're serious about it, I would recommend interning at a television production company. You're gonna need somebody that has a good relationship with broadcasters to back you, and they have the credibility to pitch ad nauseum and get things read. I worked for a company for a few months where I literally had to invent a new reality TV show every week. The networks are so saturated with content that it literally was a quantity over quality situation and we just kept throwing bullsh*t at them until something piqued their interest.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users