134 replies to this topic
Lee Everett
  • Lee Everett

We need to keep you safe Clementine...

• Members
  • None

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

Just got this game, it's amazing :)

2 of my survivors died though lol. One got sick, and one of my survivors decided to blast his brains out. Then a few days later the one that blasted the sick guy - got sick. So I told him let's go for a little walk, took him into a nearby store...And then blasted HIS brains out. I kind of hated that since he was one of my favorite people I would take on supply runs, also I would keep him on lookout a lot. I went from a group of 11 to a group of 9. Shortly afterwards I started recruiting people (which was EXTREMELY hard for me to do before this) and flew up to like 17 people. So their deaths did not go in vain.

(Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I didn't want to create an entirely new discussion when we already have this one).

• Audiophile likes this

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:15 PM Edited by Audiophile, 15 January 2014 - 05:17 PM.

That was part of the story, it happens to everyone. I did feel a slight tinge when I had to take out the second guy to kill him, he was useful.

And yes, this is a great game. The DLC for it is also great so I'd pick that up.

I would really recommend for people to pick this game up. I generally dislike zombie games but I do pick the odd one up when it has other elements that make it interesting.

This game is worth checking out, at least, if you haven't already. Quite fun to build up your base, move bases, recruit survivors, upgrade your base, interact with other survivors, gather supplies.

Perma-death for characters does suck though if you get attached. I got attached to the guy you start with and he got torn apart by one of the big zombies on a mission (not part of the story-line, I just f*cked up).....I still criey errytiem. Nevar forgit.

• Lee Everett and Ciaran like this

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 07:30 PM

I just find the building element lacking a lot of options, it also doesn't take very long to get your base pimped out.

I cheat and keep savegames with my favorite characters still alive and just reload that after they die :p

El_Diablo
  • El_Diablo

"The_Devil"

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Mars

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:51 PM

I cheat and keep savegames with my favorite characters still alive and just reload that after they die :p

hey, me too.

I think most people do that.

it's not cheating.

the game has built-in quicksave functionality. this means you're just using the game mechanics the way they were implemented. it would only be cheating if you were using some kind of God mode to keep them alive. but reloading a saved game is fair.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

hey, me too.

I think most people do that.

it's not cheating.

the game has built-in quicksave functionality. this means you're just using the game mechanics the way they were implemented. it would only be cheating if you were using some kind of God mode to keep them alive. but reloading a saved game is fair.

I thought it was autosaving each time you finished a mission or someone died:

I actually kept backups from the save folder and put those back to keep my players alive. Mind you, I haven´t played in a month or so, I didn´t know there was a quicksave D:

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 16 January 2014 - 09:11 AM

I also just picked this up. I got it in the Christmas sale for £6, defo worth it. Just like Audiophile I don't really like zombie games, but it was Fallout 3 that got me a little more used to the situation. And my love for looting in a post apocalyptic wastland is stronger now than my dislike for zombies. 

I only have the end mission to do and I have mopped up all achievements pretty easily none were hard at all. All I have left is to blow up a character in a blaze of glory. But like everyone else I keep a copy of my savegame on an external drive. (I extremely dislike games that don't let you have a manual save) Fallout 3 was the best, save where ever and whenever you want. Permadeath wouldn't be that big of a deal if you could just have manual saves.

Anyway, the game is great, though originally I disliked the sluggish movement, awful animations and insane lag and bugs. But overall it is much better once you get out into the rest of the game world.

My only issue with the game is the inventory system, it uses weight, but it uses a max amount of slots as well which makes no sense. I wish I could just pick a character to start with, and just get looting in a free roam world and pick everything I care about and keep on me just like you can in fallout. I want all the ammo I find on me, same goes for meds. The reason this is important is that the storage in this game sucks, you put a sh*tload in and either the AI takes it or it gets removed and at one point you might have over 100 rounds of each ammo type in the locker, then all of a sudden they all f*ck off. I want a personal safe that does not get edited at the very least.

I don't know much about the DLC other than its some sort of non story free roam, is it really worth paying what I paid for the whole game just to play a different game mode?

Beanee
  • Beanee

Rat

• Members
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:15 PM

I recently got this game and whilst I do enjoy it, I think they're could've been a lot more features implemented. As Daz said, the inventory system could be improved, and the whole AI robbing your stuff thing really pisses me off. The combat could be improved, but it is great fun and highly enjoyable. I also live the life-or-death situations: do you help the guy, or bolt it?

You guys ever played Project Zomboid?

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

My only issue with the game is the inventory system, it uses weight, but it uses a max amount of slots as well which makes no sense. I wish I could just pick a character to start with, and just get looting in a free roam world and pick everything I care about and keep on me just like you can in fallout. I want all the ammo I find on me, same goes for meds. The reason this is important is that the storage in this game sucks, you put a sh*tload in and either the AI takes it or it gets removed and at one point you might have over 100 rounds of each ammo type in the locker, then all of a sudden they all f*ck off. I want a personal safe that does not get edited at the very least.

Other problem is that the slots which are there don't take size into consideration. You wouldn't fit 8 Sledgehammers into a backpack, no matter what weight they are.

My biggest problem with this zombie game is that you still don't really get to build anything, pre-determined safehouse spots don't allow you to turn any house into a homebase and when you do use one of the safehouses, you can only build on preset spots and only thing THEY want you to build there.

Project Zomboid is perfect for that, but it's so buggy and laggy I honestly can't play it anymore (the first versions were much smoother but uglier).

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Oh yeah, I picked up Project Zomboid back in December. Haven't played it much though as I am waiting for it to get more updates and be a bit more stable. I also picked up "How to Survive" back in December but haven't played it yet....too busy. :lol:

As for the Breakdown DLC, Daz, I picked it up but only played right up to the point of where you get your first base. It's basically like the SP, just with no missions. You kind of have goals, like set up your base. When I started off, I got a character I hadn't seen in SP before (yet) and I was in a field with a crashed plane and zombies all around me. I had to sneak out of the field and then sneak all the way to one of the waypoints on the map that counted as a "base".

The way I understand it, it's a more "free" mission of the game and you can keep going as long as you like. Once you finish/run out of what to do on the map you are currently on, you can find and repair an RV that will take you and survivors to another generated version of the map. It apparently gets a bit more difficult with each progression?

As you progress, you apparently unlock new characters and weapons through challenges.

That's about all I know, Daz, I've been a bit short for time so didn't get to experience much of Breakdown beyond the initial goals you go through to get set up. But in my opinion, it's worth a pick up if you enjoy the game. I picked up State of Decay when it first released on PC for full price, I'd played it on my brother's 360 in the summer so I already knew it was a great game I'd want to pick up. The Breakdown DLC was more justifiable for me as it was "cheaper" than the base game when I'd picked it up.

Daz
  • Daz

Pirandello/Kruger

• Cyclop 9
  • None

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

You guys ever played Project Zomboid?

I haven't but I watched some videos of it and it looks really awesome, though I am not too sure about the disappearing objects depending on where you are facing and the music seems a little repetitive. If I were going to play it I might wait some more.

Other problem is that the slots which are there don't take size into consideration. You wouldn't fit 8 Sledgehammers into a backpack, no matter what weight they are.

This is exactly my point. Like if you have 30 rounds for one caliber and pick up one more bullet for that type it takes up a whole new slot, like if I had an M27 IAR that holds 100 rounds, that goes in one slot, but if I wanted to have another spare 100 rounds that would take up THREE slots, where you are better off just having a second rifle instead.

That is what bugged me.

The Breakdown DLC was more justifiable for me as it was "cheaper" than the base game when I'd picked it up.

I am pretty much out of things to play right now, I might take a little breather from the game but I should probably buy it. I feel like its not really necessary as I could just ignore the story and replay that again but the idea I will have a random character to level and the idea of starting the story again with fresh items seems like a good idea to me.

The amount of guns in the game that I didn't see in my playthrough really makes me want to find them that is my main goal.

Also it is worth noting if I haven't already that the dropkick in this game is almost the game's main selling point, without it I don't think I would have been able to stand it for too long hacking and slashing constantly. I just dropkick then use their head as a golf tee as I knock it off with a pipe threader.

That is one survival skill I must learn for when the real world goes to sh*t.

EpicPonyMuffins
  • EpicPonyMuffins

Killing Cops, Zombies and Cowboys since 2009

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:17 AM

Just got the Breakdown DLC. It's half-price on XBL.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:32 AM

I don't really want to spend more money on this game than I have, it was fun for a while I should check it out again (maybe it's been updated on Steam).

Also bought Project Zomboid for $3 when it was first released, haven't played that in a long time, but afaik it hasn't been updated much either (still no NPC's :()

hungrywhiteboy
  • hungrywhiteboy

wait what

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 22 May 2014 - 03:18 AM Edited by hungrywhiteboy, 22 May 2014 - 03:18 AM.

idk what the rules are on bumping so if it's against the rules then oops sorry but the Lifeline DLC for this game looks amazing, there's a new map and it takes place in the city. the developers said that when playing the game you'll spend most of your time on the highway/surrounding area because the actual city is a "danger zone" and highlighted red on the map because there are "thousands" of zombies in that area and it makes it near to impossible to get back out alive. i'm so excited for this.

Insert-Coin-To-Continue
  • Insert-Coin-To-Continue

Credits: 0

• Zaibatsu
  • Australia

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:09 AM

That looks pretty interesting, and a new map would be the thing that would entice me back into the game. I do have Breakdown, but I never really felt like playing it after beating the story mode due it being the exact same map.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 22 May 2014 - 10:57 AM

I still don't get why they didn't polish the game before releasing it and just leaving it at that.

It still looks and handles like in Early Access (which was bad), which made me not care about any of the DLC.

Game was fun fo a while, didn't finish it though, might pick it back up someday, but probably not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users