Quantcast

» «
Photo

What is it about GTA IV's story that makes it...

19 replies to this topic
PaddsterG2k3
  • PaddsterG2k3

The Bee's Knees

• Members

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:32 PM

...the best?

What do you think? What makes it out to be the best storyline of all GTAs?

Andreas
  • Andreas

GTAV Forum Leader

• Leone Family Mafia
  • Austria

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

The storyline of GTA IV has depth and makes sense in a realistic way. We don't know the city or the map in general or any of the characters (or at least the majority of them) when we play a game for the first time. In GTA San Andreas for example, CJ returned to Los Santos after he left the city for five years and he already does know the city but if you play the game the first time then you don't. In GTA IV, the protagonist was a normal guy who is in a new city, namely Liberty City in this case, and he doesn't know anything about it yet. It's like we are in the same situation as Niko and I like that. The background-story is better and makes more sense in GTA IV than it does in the past sequel. We know that Niko is searching someone who has killed all of his friends in the war. When I play a new GTA game for the first time then I'm always curious about what will happen during the storyline, but GTA IV had something I can not describe. I was more curious about the events that will happen later in the story than I was about any past game of the series. I also felt the same way in The Lost and Damned, and perhaps it was the grittiness and the more serious storylines of these games that made the difference.

H.I.M.
  • H.I.M.

☻The Steaked MC. ☺

• Members

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:32 PM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Sunday, Mar 24 2013, 20:39)
The storyline of GTA IV has depth and makes sense in a realistic way. We don't know the city or the map in general or any of the characters (or at least the majority of them) when we play a game for the first time. In GTA San Andreas for example, CJ returned to Los Santos after he left the city for five years and he already does know the city but if you play the game the first time then you don't. In GTA IV, the protagonist was a normal guy who is in a new city, namely Liberty City in this case, and he doesn't know anything about it yet. It's like we are in the same situation as Niko and I like that. The background-story is better and makes more sense in GTA IV than it does in the past sequel. We know that Niko is searching someone who has killed all of his friends in the war. When I play a new GTA game for the first time then I'm always curious about what will happen during the storyline, but GTA IV had something I can not describe. I was more curious about the events that will happen later in the story than I was about any past game of the series. I also felt the same way in The Lost and Damned, and perhaps it was the grittiness and the more serious storylines of these games that made the difference.

Ditto on this. The realism. The hopes going down. Betrayal. Realism. Make it the best. icon14.gif

GetWoody
  • GetWoody

Greedy Jew

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 24 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

A little bleak for my tastes, but as far as videogames go it's pretty good. It's got nothing on Red Dead Redemption though (admittedly pretty bleak as well, but at least I felt satisfaction after completing it).

GoldenBlade
  • GoldenBlade

Hustlin'

• Members

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Sunday, Mar 24 2013, 15:09)

This, exactly. I still discover new places to this day on GTA IV.

Mr_Leone
  • Mr_Leone

The Liberty City Experience

• Members

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:33 PM

Niko Bellic is just so fascinating. He is like a movie character going through a hard time. You relentlessly cheer for him until you think he'll win and bam, no - luck is never with him. You follow the story through a mixture of your perspective and Niko's, guiding you and him throughout the story. Liberty in the Fall is a great atmosphere for such a bleak game.

Wass
  • Wass

Playa

• Members

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Sunday, Mar 24 2013, 16:09)

Exactly!!I really like the atmosphere of GTA IV,it's fantastic!!a perfect match for the storyline!

hall90
  • hall90

Mark Chump

• Members

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:12 PM

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Monday, Mar 25 2013, 00:39)

Very well said. icon14.gif

Allen14n
  • Allen14n

Mack Pimp

• Members

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:18 AM

Niko is an extremely likable character. There was just so much emotion going on throughout the story. There were some extremely deep moments, and the story was undoubtedly one of my favorites.

Keeed
  • Keeed

This guy ^^

• BUSTED!

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

The thing that makes GTA IV the best is that it was a revolution in gaming, gta gaming anyway. Never before have we seen a game of such depth and intensity. Yes, San Andreas was great with all the activities and such., However, IV was on another level. IV gave us a true insight into the crime world and into human nature. We were enthralled by each ,mission, and we could resonate with the almost real characters that Rockstar painted for us. Can you not still feel the adrenaline of Four Leaf Clover, the sense of betrayal by Dimitri or the tension of That Special Someone? Can you not play the game many times over and see the humour in Roman, Brucie and Bernie Crane? I, for one, relishes every minute of the suspense and drama it created, and I think all those many others feel the same way.

SonOfLiberty
  • SonOfLiberty

Ice cold slavic killer

• Serbia

Posted 03 April 2013 - 12:08 PM Edited by Miamivicecity, 03 April 2013 - 12:16 PM.

QUOTE (Carl CJ Johnsons Brother Brian @ Monday, Mar 25 2013, 02:09)

This. icon14.gif

What I love about GTA IV's story and the game in general is the way it makes everything feel strange and unfamiliar exactly how a new immigrant to America would feel.

We get a taste of the modern NYC criminal underworld without taking over the city, but I think this perspective is far more believable and intriguing as it allows an outsider point of view of several conflicts such as between Faustin/Dimitri, PBX/Dwayne and The McRearies.

In a way it's sort of like a phsycological road trip. As Niko continues on his journey he gets side tracked by all these fascinating characters and stories of the own. Really makes LC feel like a city where 1000s of stories occur everyday.

Ultimately I like how everything comes around full circle. Niko's not met with a happy ending although his demons are put to rest. Some of the bad decisions he makes come back to haunt him and show how flawed human nature really is. Unlike the "everything works out perfectly " endings of VC and SA.

While it has its inconsistentcies with the exception of TLAD it's the most thought inducing and articulated story in the whole series.

I don't even think GTA V will be able to top it to be honest.

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

I would not say that GTA IV had the best storyline of all the GTAs, in my view that title goes to Vice City. But IV does come in at a close second. For all it's flaws and shortcomings, IV had a brilliant storyline overall, I cannot deny that.

jimbo1a
  • jimbo1a

Punk-ass Bitch

• Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:02 PM

nothing else needs to be said this post sums it up perfectly

I have just finished the main story missions (again) and I just love the ending because even though you have beaten the enemy if you choose revenge or deal you have still lost someone very close to you, it was so refreshing to have that sense of loss even though you have won instead of just coming out on top with no loss. it was nice to see niko finally lose the demons that haunt him.

Dick Valor
  • Dick Valor

Cold Ass Honky

• Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:38 PM

In GTA IV, the protagonist was a normal guy who is in a new city, namely Liberty City in this case, and he doesn't know anything about it yet. It's like we are in the same situation as Niko and I like that.

This. icon14.gif

IV is great for roleplay. It's the only GTA where I truly feel as though I am in the protag's shoes, living his day-to-day life, getting to know the city through his eyes. The presence of criminal and non-criminal activities added much needed counterpoint to the franchise and made Niko feel like a real person with real friends, girlfriends, problems, and a real life... rather than a video game avatar (like CJ). This makes his moments of joy, sorrow, angst, and frustration that much more palpable and understandable.

But the real kicker is Niko is/represents so much more than the day-to-day life of a hit man/carjacker. As a seventh, eight, or God only knows what generation American, it remains a truly breathtaking experience to roleplay as an immigrant to this country I love, and get a taste of what my family ancestry might have experienced hundreds of years ago, but in a familiar, relatable context. Between environmental details like the in-game internet and the cell phone, and the themes of immigration, the cultural melting pot, counterterrorism, the American Dream, etc., IV was just so deep and poignant on so many levels.

I hope someday we put IV and RDR in a time capsule for posterity as they both truly capture the spirit and frailty of the American Dream... this bizarre national experiment for better or for worse... but through the lens of 21st century, post-911 NYC and the Old West, respectively. I really hope V follows suit and explores the hopes and limitations of the American Dream that much deeper in the context of the current global recession. If only more games could feel so... relevant.

theomenofficial
  • theomenofficial

Muslim

• Members

Posted 04 April 2013 - 08:40 PM

Realism and the jump in graphics and character development and the awesome story.

Mzeppelin
  • Mzeppelin

The Don

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:51 PM

San Andreas had a better story and the BEST of the GTA series so far. But GTA 4's story was very good because it was detailed, unlike San Andreas that was just more one-dimensional, mission based cutscenes.

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

QUOTE (Mzeppelin @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 18:51)
San Andreas had a better story and the BEST of the GTA series so far. But GTA 4's story was very good because it was detailed, unlike San Andreas that was just more one-dimensional, mission based cutscenes.

Maybe San Andreas' story was more fun to do, but IV's was a hell lot better storywise (just my opinion of course).

Official General
  • Official General

You gotta always carry heat in these Vice City streets

• Members

Posted 05 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

QUOTE (thebodies @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 19:32)

Maybe San Andreas' story was more fun to do, but IV's was a hell lot better storywise (just my opinion of course).

San Andreas was a better overall game than GTA IV, but honestly speaking, IV had a better storyline than SA.

PaletoChickenCapo
  • PaletoChickenCapo

Gangsta

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • Norway

Posted 06 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Official General @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 21:10)

San Andreas was a better overall game than GTA IV, but honestly speaking, IV had a better storyline than SA.

I agree.

Nameless Foot Soldier
  • Nameless Foot Soldier

Libertonian

• Members

Posted 12 April 2013 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE (thebodies @ Saturday, Apr 6 2013, 14:14)
QUOTE (Official General @ Friday, Apr 5 2013, 21:10)

I agree.

The world is beautiful because everyone is different, everyone has a different and unique point of view. With that being said, I believe that GTA IV is the greatest video game I have ever played and is the greatest gaming achievement of last decade.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users