Photo

Anxiety, depression & social anxiety

47 replies to this topic
Xylophobia
  • Xylophobia

To be accepted in the community you have to be blind

• Members

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:48 PM

Right now this problem just pisses me off. I am suffering from anxiety for almost two years now. I can't say it's a huge amount of time compared to people who suffered like 15 years old, but those two years were pain in the ass. I've always feared that the cigarette I was smoking would be my last. I feared sports will make my heart go crazy, so I stopped doing sports. Every night of my last two years were a nightmare. Every night I was praying for my life so I can survive next day. You can't even imagine how bad it is to be in an anxious skin as long as you never been through such an experience.
I've been hopeless for two years. Never took medication, but I went to a psychotherapist who wasn't really good so I stopped going there because it was a waste of money and time.
I've had good periods, but they were lasting short. I'd rather suffer from physical pain than this.
Tonight I've been listening a beautiful song and people were commenting "RIP Zyzz" so I thought "Who is this Zyzz people are talking about" so I started searching on Google. Saw he was a body builder and he died obviously. From heart attack. Panic attack instantly. Couldn't hold myself. I thought I'd inevitable going to die as well. So this made me create this topic. I am not sure if people are in the same condition as me or at least if they're suffering from anxiety and any mental disorder, but I'm hoping we'll help each other in case there are guys who can help. Even those who suffered from anxiety, how did you recovered?

Shmoopy
  • Shmoopy

Thug (͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Members
  • None

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:01 PM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Friday, Mar 22 2013, 21:48)
Right now this problem just pisses me off. I am suffering from anxiety for almost two years now. I can't say it's a huge amount of time compared to people who suffered like 15 years old, but those two years were pain in the ass. I've always feared that the cigarette I was smoking would be my last. I feared sports will make my heart go crazy, so I stopped doing sports. Every night of my last two years were a nightmare. Every night I was praying for my life so I can survive next day. You can't even imagine how bad it is to be in an anxious skin as long as you never been through such an experience.
I've been hopeless for two years. Never took medication, but I went to a psychotherapist who wasn't really good so I stopped going there because it was a waste of money and time.
I've had good periods, but they were lasting short. I'd rather suffer from physical pain than this.
Tonight I've been listening a beautiful song and people were commenting "RIP Zyzz" so I thought "Who is this Zyzz people are talking about" so I started searching on Google. Saw he was a body builder and he died obviously. From heart attack. Panic attack instantly. Couldn't hold myself. I thought I'd inevitable going to die as well. So this made me create this topic. I am not sure if people are in the same condition as me or at least if they're suffering from anxiety and any mental disorder, but I'm hoping we'll help each other in case there are guys who can help. Even those who suffered from anxiety, how did you recovered?

I suffer from this http://www.socialanx...you-walk-36947/ , i often feel uncomfortable when walking alone in public places , i always walk with my head down and it makes me look weird , like in that movie when Jet Lee gets pissed of and starts walking like a tough guy seeking for revenge , when i pass by someone i feel like they think that i was going to kick their ass , but i never tend to do that , thats is just my walkstyle and i cant control it or change it , it pisses me off and it gives me depression . I just cant walk normally , it is really hard for me to forget about my walk , anxiety cant just be cured like that , i think no one can cure you from anxiety except yourself , and it is really hard ...

As for your case , i think that you should go for and adventure or do something risky , like skydiving or fist fighting , im not joking .

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Ich liebe dich.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

I suffer from depression. I'm also a paranoid f*cker, even more paranoid than Salvatore (if measuring my paranoia to video game characters is even such a thing). I've also been told I'm clingy by my friends. Long story short, I'm a FAR way away from being a socially acceptable person.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:12 AM

My friend has generalized anxiety disorder and it caused him to have sleepless nights because he couldn't stop his mind, he worried over everything and took every little thing the wrong way. After years of this I finally convinced him to go see his family doctor about this, he finally did 3 weeks ago and got some meds for it. Based on what he has been telling me, it's worked wonders so far, he can finally sleep and his way of thinking has improved. He says as anxious as he was about seeing the doctor and as much as he resisted it for so long, it was the right decision and he is getting better now.

Have you considered seeing someone about this yourself, to at least get some meds? It's very hard to stop this on your own and in fact, you won't be able to. confused.gif

The Scottish Guy
  • The Scottish Guy

Toasty!

• BUSTED!

Posted 23 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

Mate, this is probably going to sound as Cliché as they come, but when it comes to some kind of social anxiety or self satisfaction of personal impression to others, STOP giving a f*ck. The more you give a f*ck about others perceivement towards you, the more it'll hold you back. Flip the coin. The less you give a f*ck, the more you'll be respected for not being some fake, submissive f*ck. If they still don't respect you, then take solace in the fact that they themselves hold insecurity about their own social problems.

I went through similar anxiety problems when I was 22/23. I remember I was reading a book to try and take my mind off certain negative aspects of my life that were going on at the time, when suddenly I came across a part of the novel where the character had felt chest pains which resulted in a heart attack. As soon as I read that, I started to panic myself about the chest pains I had been experiencing myself that day. So I got up, went to make myself something to eat to try and take my mind off it, but I couldn't stop thinking and panicking. I started feeling dizzy and eventually collapsed in a heap. My then girlfriend told me I was out cold for around 2 minutes, by which point she had called in the paramedics. Scariest day of my life. I was convinced I was having/had a heart attack untill the paramedics took some tests, and reassured me it was just a panic attack.

After that, I basically just said to myself...."Y'know what? I'm sick of worrying about things and peoples opinions, I'm just going to do whatever the f*ck I want (within reason of course) and not give a sh*t. If this guy doesn't like me? - f*ck 'em, that's his problem. If I don't get that job? - f*ck 'em, I'll find another." And eventually this attitude actually gained me success. I'm not saying act like an obnoxious prick to everyone, but rather put your own feelings before those who don't give a sh*t about yours.

Remember, you only get one shot at life. Don't spend it bending over backwards for everyone else. Stand your ground, but be respectful while doing it.

Not sure if this helps, but just wanted to share my insight. Either way, keep your chin up fella, there's always light at the end of that tunnel.

GrandMaster Smith
  • GrandMaster Smith

©

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

The Scottish Guy said it rather well.

I used to have anxiety like a bitch, like clockwork once a month I would get a mega-anxiety attack that would result in me passing out or my entire body going completely numb. Made going into public horrible, I wouldn't even want to go into stores anymore.

Then one day I was over at my brother in laws with some of his friends smoking some bud and I started to feel my anxiety attack come on, started with tingling in my limbs then progressed to a light headiness.. after a few minutes of trying to endure this I went inside to go sit down and on my way my vision went black and I just dropped. It was pretty embarrassing in that it looked like I just couldn't hold my green and that my brother in law had some noobie with him, though I knew the attacks weren't from smoking since I would get them while even sober as a bird.

After that little incident I really put my foot down and became devoted to getting over it. That was during the superbowl about 3 years back and haven't had one since. I tried taking Lexapro, threw that sh*t out quicker then I could get it. Made me feel horrible.

You need to learn anxiety is an effect.. meaning something is causing it. Taking prescriptions to dull the emotion isn't going to solve your problems. You need to look within yourself and find out what things in your life are causing you to become so stressful. It's not easy, and it definitely takes time but you'll come out a Much stronger person in the long run and is very worth it. The simplest way to go about this is to just force yourself into the most uncomfortable situations you can and just toughing it out.

It seems males in their early 20's being troubled with anxiety is actually a rather common thing. I think it may have to do with a realization that life isn't all what you imagined as child, the real world is ugly and harsh and death is a very real thing that will happen to us all.

You just need to learn to let go of things, view thoughts as something separate from you that flow in and out of your mind and avoid becoming emotionally attached to them. When you catch yourself dwelling in a negative thought just stop and let it go along with all the emotional baggage it was carrying.

nightwalker83
  • nightwalker83

Don't mind me

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (universetwisters @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 10:14)
I suffer from depression. I'm also a paranoid f*cker, even more paranoid than Salvatore (if measuring my paranoia to video game characters is even such a thing). I've also been told I'm clingy by my friends. Long story short, I'm a FAR way away from being a socially acceptable person.

Ditto!

Finn 7 five 11
  • Finn 7 five 11

Well I'm sorry, Princess.

• Members
  • None

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

Zyzz is this idiot right here that so many people in Australia Idolize which is stupid, any sh*t talking about Zyzz is promptly replied with "You're mirin bro" WHich basically means "You're just jealous." It's popular among body-builders.

user posted image

He's an idiot who took way to many steroids and died, @THE OP don't stress it, as long as you don't take steroids, you won't die.

You need some serious help though, That kind of anxiety is bad, All I can say is try to relax, easier said than done. If you feel like you're panicking, take really deep breaths in, hold it for a second, then breathe out. Also find a hobby, read books, that's a brilliant escape from all your fears. Every night since I was 11 years old I have read Star Wars before bed, I sleep much better and I cannot get enough of them.

Xylophobia
  • Xylophobia

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

Your help is really appreciated guys, I'll probably start reading them whenever I'm about to go to sleep. As for my situation, it was a huge pain in the ass last night. I couldn't sleep so I stayed up until 2AM or something similar, reading sh*t, playing a game, trying to switch my attention on anything else but anxiety, but the efforts were worthless. I went to sleep, I had some kind of pain in the upper stomach, I had similar pain before, it is probably caused by smoking so I need to be careful about it, but this time, this pain made me f*cking go crazy. I've instantly started thinking at what's worse, that I had an inevitable heart attack and I was checking my pulse, my heart beat, any time I wasn't hearing the beat caused more fear and so on (sorry for the retarded grammar, I'm not good with it). I went to my mother's room, stayed there awake until 5AM. I'm still confused about my general situation right now because it seems that during daytime I have no big problem at all, but during night, often when I go to sleep, the fear is increased enormously.
I still have hope that I might escape this nightmare one day. I did it once, last summer. I assume the use of PC also 'damages' my situation, because I don't really hang out that much with friends, but I sit here and play games like a retard. So I hope I'll reduce the time spent on PC because I know it will help me.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:02 PM

Seriously, you guys don't believe in psychologists or something?

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

Ihr müsst mich in den Stahl hinablassen.

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:02 PM Edited by Stephan123, 23 March 2013 - 02:04 PM.

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 13:52)
Your help is really appreciated guys, I'll probably start reading them whenever I'm about to go to sleep. As for my situation, it was a huge pain in the ass last night. I couldn't sleep so I stayed up until 2AM or something similar, reading sh*t, playing a game, trying to switch my attention on anything else but anxiety, but the efforts were worthless. I went to sleep, I had some kind of pain in the upper stomach, I had similar pain before, it is probably caused by smoking so I need to be careful about it, but this time, this pain made me f*cking go crazy. I've instantly started thinking at what's worse, that I had an inevitable heart attack and I was checking my pulse, my heart beat, any time I wasn't hearing the beat caused more fear and so on (sorry for the retarded grammar, I'm not good with it). I went to my mother's room, stayed there awake until 5AM. I'm still confused about my general situation right now because it seems that during daytime I have no big problem at all, but during night, often when I go to sleep, the fear is increased enormously.
I still have hope that I might escape this nightmare one day. I did it once, last summer. I assume the use of PC also 'damages' my situation, because I don't really hang out that much with friends, but I sit here and play games like a retard. So I hope I'll reduce the time spent on PC because I know it will help me.

Turn off the PC, go out, take a long walk. This is the best medicine for you. And quit smoking. icon14.gif

Xylophobia
  • Xylophobia

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Fireman @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 14:02)

I've been there, no result.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 14:09)
QUOTE (Fireman @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 14:02)

I've been there, no result.

Then you should visit a doctor, who will probably prescribe you antidepressants in case it is already out of control. There will be no other help for you.

Apex.
  • Apex.

Alright?

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

I remember reading about that bodybuilder a while back, I'm 99% he had a heart attack because he took a f*ck load of steroids.

As for panic attacks, I'm 15 and from this month it's been about a full year I've been off school just from panic attacks. Mine came on because I have a fear of fainting in public, which sounds dumb as f*ck and I know it's dumb as f*ck but over time I've made it up to be this huge thing. It's completely messed my life up, thankfully I still have a social life because I was quite popular, but in terms of grades and such, I have very low grades because the last exam I went into, I ended up having a huge panic attack and left in the first 10 minutes, and I was in a room with 3 people lol. I've had hypnotherapy and NHS help, and it's all centered around adrenaline and such as I'm sure you know. Then after a while after putting myself away from being out in public, my mind thought it would f*ck with me by making me start thinking about my heart all the time, for about a week I could feel my heart beating and as much as I tried to ignore it, I couldn't! But then one day I just went to myself "f*ck this, I honestly can't be arsed with stressing about this, if I have a heart attack, it happens" and I never felt it from then on. Somewhere in the back of my mind I still sort of think there could be something wrong with me, but I don't stress about it. If it's really badly getting to you, try and get a heart check-up, 99% chance there's nothing wrong with you and it can put your mind at rest!

Oh yeah and just like you all this time outside of public has increased my time on the Internet, which just makes it worse. It's a vicious circle really.

Xylophobia
  • Xylophobia

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

To be honest I wanted to check-up my heart condition, but my mother keeps refusing because she says I'm f*cking okay and my heart is strong.

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 14:20)
To be honest I wanted to check-up my heart condition, but my mother keeps refusing because she says I'm f*cking okay and my heart is strong.

Seriously, go to a doctor! How old are you? I wouldn't let me tell from my mum if I am healthy or not.

Xylophobia
  • Xylophobia

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:40 PM Edited by Xylophobia, 23 March 2013 - 02:58 PM.

I'm 18. As for psychiatrist, I'm not going to visit him anytime soon. Medications won't heal my problem, it will just help as long as I'm taking them.

Imagine what a bad state I am right now because I'm afraid to take a bath tonight.

Eazy 357
  • Eazy 357

RoiDesClit

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:02 PM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 09:40)
Medications won't heal my problem, it will just help as long as I'm taking them.

I agree, medication will only get you addicted to it and make the problem worse if you stop taking it after you started. IMO, every anti-depressive related medication is sh*t and only destroy your life more than anything... You can all solve this by yourself buddy icon14.gif Reading a book is a goo idea, taking a walk and breathing fresh air is good too.

Fireman
  • Fireman

Cunning Stunter

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

So if you don't want to solve anything, what are you asking us? Sympathy?

Stephan90
  • Stephan90

• Members
  • Germany

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:36 PM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 14:40)
I'm 18. As for psychiatrist, I'm not going to visit him anytime soon. Medications won't heal my problem, it will just help as long as I'm taking them.

Imagine what a bad state I am right now because I'm afraid to take a bath tonight.

Right, medications won't heal your depression. But what antidepressants can do is, to bring your body into a constitution where you are able to help yourself. Modern antidepressants do not change the psych of a patient and are not addictive. But it takes a couple of weeks until they unfold their full effect. You must realise that you have to change your behaviour and your way of thinking. Only this combination will make you a healthy person.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

There's not much I can say that will make you change, but know here that I feel for you. Like you said, dying is inevitable, everyone's gonna die some day, but living your life worrying about dying simply ain't going to change crap. If you live like that no wonder you get depression. I sometimes get really bad heart pains that are probably nothing, I get paranoid about this because I smoke and I'm still young, but until that say I die comes along, I'm going to live my life the way I want to live it, live it to the full, but live it the way you want to live it. If you don't like society and society doesn't like you and you find another way to live your life more privately and be happy, then go ahead and do that. Nobody else cares, that's one thing I suffered from a lot, I used to not do things because I thought the "eye" of society was watching all the time and that they'd judge me.

TBH, they probably did judge me, they probably still do judge me but I don't give a damn, I'm going to do what I'm gonna do and believe me since I'm in control of my body, nobody is gonna stop me from doing what I want. f*ck the guy who stares at you and thinks your a weirdo, he probably is laughing at you because he is the most insecure f*ck in the world. If you need to talk to someone who can TRY and cheer you up buddy, just PM me and I'll try and find ways of helping you.

Xylophobia
  • Xylophobia

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 05:14 PM

QUOTE (Sanjeem @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 16:49)
I sometimes get really bad heart pains that are probably nothing, I get paranoid about this because I smoke and I'm still young

Yep, I'm also smoking, but I don't smoke more than 3 cigs per day at maximum. Per overall, I smoke around 3-4 cigs per week, when I am not hanging out. I have pain behind my ribs, I am not sure if it's because of the lungs or it's just some muscular pain.

Audiophile
  • Audiophile

http://gabenislife.com/

• Zaibatsu
  • Canada

Posted 23 March 2013 - 07:10 PM

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 15:36)

Right, medications won't heal your depression. But what antidepressants can do is, to bring your body into a constitution where you are able to help yourself. Modern antidepressants do not change the psych of a patient and are not addictive. But it takes a couple of weeks until they unfold their full effect. You must realise that you have to change your behaviour and your way of thinking. Only this combination will make you a healthy person.

That's the whole reason I have suggested medication.

It'll get you in a state where you can better prepare for and manage the times you anxiety gets the best of you. Medication isn't the solution, but it's helpful just to get you out if that hole.

Most treatments should be multi-faceted, IMO. Medication and therapy to help you control your anxiety and overcome it and the meds to get you out of that hole.

That's just my experience tho from a friend that does have GAD.

Xylophobia
  • Xylophobia

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Sometimes I'm so motivated in changing my lifestyle and wiping the problems apart, but this lasts only for a few minutes or up to a few hours, then I feel depressed and anxious again.

Kristian.
  • Kristian.

Supralux (ΣΓ)

• $outh $ide Hoodz
  • None

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (GrandMaster Smith @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 04:02)

You are onto something here. If you found out all of that (especially referring to the last paragraph) by yourself then you were quite lucky.

I'm not sure if some of you suffer from some kind of mental illness, but thoughts are the cause of suffering and depression most of the time.
The mind is just a tool; don't give it too much attention.

orbitalraindrops
  • orbitalraindrops

Homie

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:07 PM Edited by orbitalraindrops, 23 March 2013 - 08:16 PM.

QUOTE (Stephan123 @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 15:36)

f*ck antidepressants imo. I was on Prozac for 3 years. It doesn't make you happy. It doesn't deal with your depression as the issues that cause your depression cannot be cured by drugs. That sh*t f*cks with your serotonin and turns you into a numb robot imo and in my experience I would not recommend anti depressants to anyone. That said my aunty is on prozac and it has helped her alot it all differs for different people. It just was not worth it for me.

But I wouldn't come here for help. I am actually genuinely surprised when I see people on here who have stable relationships and jobs. I look at it and I'm like wtf why are you on here. Spend time with your wife, your child. Earn your dollar!

This is a forum for a game about rebelling against society. People who are into that sh*t enough to post about it on a site are probably a bit skewed. People who have a rich fulfilling life often don't post everyday on a game forum. This site is no doubt full of neckbeards, foreveralones, 4chan troll, man whores, real whores, drug addicts, socially anxious losers, shallow douches, no lifers, drug lifers, low lifers. I'd imagine that the majority of people on this site have some form of personality disorder, BPD perhaps maybe thery'e on the spectrum. Autism?. Just look at Slamman. Your not going to get good advice here as I genuinely think that most of the people here aren't good people. Wer'e f*ckwits with an internet connection. Wer'e GTA F. And I'm not exempt from this. I'm under no illusion that I'm not part of the vast dysfunctional nerd tapestry that is GTA F.

guib
  • guib

Do you hear the Whisper Men? The Whisper Men Are Near.

• Members

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:36 PM Edited by guib, 23 March 2013 - 08:41 PM.

I once read something about how most people on forums are depressed. Reading all the things here confirms that greatly! tounge2.gif

I was depressed but now I am not anymore. Almost nothing changed other then the fact that I got away from some dark-minded people...

And I always try to remember rule 32: enjoy the little things of life. icon14.gif
Yes, that was reference to both Zombieland and Amélie.

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:37 PM Edited by grope_4_that_date, 23 March 2013 - 08:40 PM.

Times are rough. There ain't no denying that. Sometimes I feel like a banjo cause everybody always picking on me. Sometimes I get as mad as a wet cat, and I fight them back and bust my picking arm. Then I have to go to the hospital and get twelve stiches cause the doctors can't stop the bleeding. And my sister Becky won't call or talk to me anymore cause that good-for-nothing, yankee boyfriend of hers doen't want to hang around our house anymore. But hey, life is about the hard times as much as they are the good. You live, you learn and you die knowing it all. And sometimes you get charged of assult and battery. That's what life is all about.

Sanjeem
  • Sanjeem

• Members

Posted 24 March 2013 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Xylophobia @ Saturday, Mar 23 2013, 20:03)
Sometimes I'm so motivated in changing my lifestyle and wiping the problems apart, but this lasts only for a few minutes or up to a few hours, then I feel depressed and anxious again.

Maybe it's because you THINK about changing your life to much and actually do very little DOING. These are things I've found out with my every day life as well, If you think ideally the chances are they are unrealistic and when you imagine all the cool ways you could change your life you get lost in thought the realize that none of it's applicable to your life. This often gets you down and in some cases can make people very depressed. The thing to realize is to DO it, not just think about it. Don't set yourself big targets but little one's instead, try to accomplish these little changes...

rubba_dukie
  • rubba_dukie

Floating in a sexy bathtub near you

• Members

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:37 PM

My advice would be to do anything positive and helpful to you, no matter how big or small. Also if you have moments where you really want to change then do something to change in that moment! It can be really easy to get lost in your mind.
This is all brain f*ckary though so get any help you can till you are feeling better. Try different meds, different docs, counsellors etc..The thing that works for one person might not work aswell for another. Seriously your 18 and feeling this way, check your ego at the door, get your sh*t sorted and enjoy your life!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users