Social phobias

85 replies to this topic
theNGclan
  • theNGclan

All your gold are belong to us.

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:58 AM

Does anyone else on these forums have any sort of Social Phobia? If you do not know what a Social Phobia is, a Social phobia is a very exagerated shyness typified by persistent and strong feelings of anxiety and fear when facing certain social situations, interacting with others, or even when being observed, to such an extent that this feeling greatly interferes in the development of the normal life of those who suffer it.

I'll list the most common Social Phobias. Sadly, I check off on all of them.

-Speaking in public.
-Eating and drinking in public.
-Attending parties.
-Being observed and feeling judged or criticized.
-Writing or signing in public.
-To manage in commercial and administrative activities.
-Looking at others in the eyes.
-Starting a conversation.
-Being introduced to others.
-Making phonecalls.
-Giving or defending your opinion.
-Meeting strangers or people of the opposite sex.
-Being in enclosed areas amongst other people.
-Speaking in front of a small group of people.
-Speaking in front of people with authority.
-Paying or receiving compliments.
-Failing to see the point.
-Being the centre of attention.

Linc.
  • Linc.

Betty, don't start up with your white zone sh*t again.

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:08 AM

I can not make a phone call. I stutter my lips off and end up making a fool of myself.
This goes so far as to people actually asking me if I'm okay, because of my speech.
I'm fine in real life and on things like voice calls on Skype, but put me on a phone and I go full retard.

Mockage
  • Mockage

This Will Destroy You

• The Connection
  • NATO

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

Can't speak in public, can't do speeches in class - you know how it is. Whenever I try to speak in front of a large group of people I end up speaking fast and sometimes even stutter.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:10 AM

I can not make a phone call. I stutter my lips off and end up making a fool of myself.
This goes so far as to people actually asking me if I'm okay, because of my speech.
I'm fine in real life and on things like voice calls on Skype, but put me on a phone and I go full retard.

user posted image

The Pizza Delivery Guy
  • The Pizza Delivery Guy

I'm Offended By This Username

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

I FREAK OUT around police officers and Mexicans, but never when the two are together.

universetwisters
  • universetwisters

Bernd das Bumpy Brot

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:14 AM

I hate crowds. I always did, from when I was a young boy

The Yokel
  • The Yokel

True Gentleman

• The Yardies
  • Jamaica

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:16 AM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 01:58)
Does anyone else on these forums have any sort of Social Phobia? If you do not know what a Social Phobia is, a Social phobia is a very exagerated shyness typified by persistent and strong feelings of anxiety and fear when facing certain social situations, interacting with others, or even when being observed, to such an extent that this feeling greatly interferes in the development of the normal life of those who suffer it.

-Speaking in public.
-Attending parties.
-Making phonecalls.

Congratulations. You have avoidant personality disorder.

ChopTheDog.
  • ChopTheDog.

War. War never changes.

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 00:58)
-Speaking in public.
-Making phonecalls.

Weirdly only the ones I quoted affect me.

I'd have though if you have a phobia of social life you'd pretty much have all of the above.
I have a major problem with phone calls (receiving them and having to make them).
I also have problems with meeting the opposite sex, that's probably to do with today's sh*tty society because no one is interested in personality anymore It's all about looks, meeting my friends or people I have met before I have no problem with though.

"Being observed and feeling judged or criticized" - This is the worst one for me, It makes me really really nervous to the point were I'm sweating and paranoid.

I don't know why I have this weird phobia because my social life is pretty solid, I've had multiple girlfriends over the past 8 months plus the odd girl inbetween relationships (The ones that don't turn into relationships...FB).

The way I think and observe the stuff I'm told is really complex, even I struggle to understand myself sometimes.

This world is f*cked up.

Durden
  • Durden

The annoying voice in your head

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:23 AM Edited by gionascm2, 20 March 2013 - 01:26 AM.

I think most of us have minor cases of social phobia, most prominent when presenting at school. Sounds like the OP has a severe case of introvertedness, which is not a problem -- I, and I'm sure many others here, are also introverts. It just varies depending on the degree. My introvertedness is pretty consistent, although I have occasional extravert moments. I guess I'd be a borderline ambivert. An ambivert is a mix of both intra & extra vertedness.

If I had to list my "phobias", similar to how the OP did, I guess they'd be:

1. Public Speaking. I tend to lisp when I am uncomfortable during a conversation. I'm normal around friends, though. Or so it seems... ph34r.gif
2. Speaking with hot girls blush.gif Oh shut up, I'm not the only one...
3. Approaching strangers
4. Spending too much time with friends. This may be impossible for some people, but I enjoy coming home after a long day of school with the whole house to myself, since my parent comes home late.
5. Insults. Nobody will believe me, but I've honestly never said a hurtful insult to anyone. Whenever I insult, I've got a big grin on my face to make the humour obvious. I can't be mean to people. Oh, and I take some insults personally and dwell on them for days, and in some cases even years later.

That's all I can think of right now.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:36 AM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 00:58)

-Speaking in public.
-Attending parties.
-Making phonecalls.

Mm My ADHD Kind of makes me outgoing and confident, Sometimes over confident.

rsgtafan
  • rsgtafan

Aka SenseiKOFF

• Members

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

-Speaking in public.
-Attending parties.
-Being observed and feeling judged or criticized. -I've all most gone over that.
-Making phonecalls. -Sometimes

Vanzant
  • Vanzant

EZ5

• United-States

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:38 AM

I don't have phobias but here's some quick suggestions if you have any or all of these.

-Speaking in public. - Stop talking like a horses ass. FIXED
-Eating and drinking in public. - Quit eating with your hands and chew with your f*cking mouth shut. FIXED
-Attending parties. - You probably made that up because you have no friends FIXED
-Being observed and feeling judged or criticized. - Quit dressing like a dork FIXED
-Writing or signing in public. - Learn how to spell FIXED
-To manage in commercial and administrative activities. - You suck at work, improve on that FIXED
-Looking at others in the eyes. - Stop staring at his Boner FIXED
-Starting a conversation. - Learn the language they speak FIXED
-Being introduced to others. - See # 3 FIXED
-Making phonecalls. #3 FIXED
-Giving or defending your opinion. - Stop being a pussy. FIXED
-Meeting strangers or people of the opposite sex. - Just accept you're into the same sex FIXED
-Being in enclosed areas amongst other people. - Use the stairs FIXED
-Speaking in front of a small group of people. - Then shut the f*ck up. FIXED
-Speaking in front of people with authority. - You don't have authority then, step the f*ck down FIXED
-Paying or receiving compliments. - Use your imagination better FIXED
-Failing to see the point. - You're gonna have to stop being a dick. FIXED
-Being the centre of attention. - Leave the center and stand aside. FIXED

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:39 AM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 20 March 2013 - 01:46 AM.

I suffer from this kind of sh*t.

I find it hard to look someone in the eyes, if i do it it'll be for 5 seconds max before i suddenly freak out in an irrational way and look somewhere else. Something about me just sketches out in these situations, i can't function confidently with people most of the time.

Starting a conversation with me is totally unheard of unless it's one of my close friends, being introduced to others is awkward and sometimes cringe worthy, something i really need to change. I'm not afraid of it but just don't have adequate social skills to execute it smoothly.

Meeting girls for me is hard as i tend to sketch out, have anxiety attacks, panic etc, not necessarily about meeting the girl, just about life in general, maybe that group of people over there seem to be looking at me funny, or maybe im self concious about something at the time, maybe i'm nervous and worried about being myself infront of the girl etc. Plus my lack of social skills and confidence etc, i'm paranoid and sketchy, i seriously hate being the centre of attention because of all the prying questions, questions which often start going into sh*t i really don't want to talk about. I can jump around on stage infront of a couple hundred people but when it comes to an intimate conversation with just one person i almost fall apart.

I seriously need to sort my head out.

Travís.
  • Travís.

Gangsta

• Members
  • Australia

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 01:38)
I don't have phobias but here's some quick suggestions if you have any or all of these.

-Eating and drinking in public. - Quit eating with your hands and chew with your f*cking mouth shut. FIXED
-Attending parties. - You probably made that up because you have no friends FIXED
-Being observed and feeling judged or criticized. - Quit dressing like a dork FIXED
-To manage in commercial and administrative activities. - You suck at work, improve on that FIXED
-Meeting strangers or people of the opposite sex. - Just accept you're into the same sex FIXED
-Speaking in front of people with authority. - You don't have authority then, step the f*ck down FIXED

hahahaha, Yes!

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
  • Winner of World Cup 2014 Prediction League
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:43 AM Edited by Raavi, 20 March 2013 - 01:48 AM.

I've never experienced something like that fortunately. Anyway, OP go see a psychiatrist. Those things limit you immensly both on social as on profesional level. It sounds like you have autism or something similar.

Alick
  • Alick

L)VE

• Members

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:48 AM

I only have two, speaking in front of people and the phone. I hated speeches at school, I just stuttered and messed my words up. I'm not a shy person at all, but I'm very conscious of messing up in front of people.

Also, the phone. I'm alright with family/friends, but the worst part is I recently got promoted to a managers position at my job so it involves the phone a lot. I'm a stuttering a wreck on the phone. We do this things called ring rounds, and have to recite it exactly word for word between stores, because I speak to fast/let my nerves get the better of me it's the only part of my job I'm useless at. Arguably it's the easiest part, but I suck terribly at it.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:51 AM Edited by Cosmic Gypsy, 20 March 2013 - 01:53 AM.

I find most people dislike phone conversations, every one seems awkward over the phone in their own way. Unless they work at a call centre or something.

The worst possible phone call is your girl friend calling you on a saturday girls night out crying and upset because of a fall out with the girls, seriously... wtf am i supposed to say or do. I couldn't care less about that sh*t. It's always stupid female bullsh*t.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:54 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 01:43)
I've never experienced something like that fortunately. Anyway, OP go see a psychiatrist. Those things limit you immensly both on social as on profesional level. It sounds like you have autism or something similar.

I've looked into it before. It's not any sort of Autism.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:57 AM Edited by Raavi, 20 March 2013 - 02:00 AM.

QUOTE (Cosmic Gypsy @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 02:51)
I find most people dislike phone conversations, every one seems awkward over the phone in their own way. Unless they work at a call centre or something.

Really? Engaging in a normal conversation over the phone isn't rocketscience. Just like any other conversation- it is simply about assesing the other person's mood and personality.

@TheNGclan You can't refute that 100% untill you have been tested. If it isn't that it's most likely social anxiety to the max.

Cosmic Gypsy
  • Cosmic Gypsy

It's time for a trip

• Members
  • United-Kingdom

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

QUOTE (Raavi @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 01:57)
QUOTE (Cosmic Gypsy @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 02:51)

Really? Engaging in a normal conversation over the phone isn't rocketscience. Just like any other conversation- it is simply about assesing the other person's mood and personality.

That's fine, but people i know often interupt each other, then both stop, waiting for the other person to continue, then start again thinking the other person is letting you speak first (which he was, but waited too long, as did you, now you are interrupting each other again..) Also people sometimes say bye like 4 or 5 times at the end of a conversation for some reason, weird sh*t.

blitz
  • blitz

pizzaqueen <3

• Andolini Mafia Family
  • None
  • Newcomer of the Year 2011

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:59 AM

I can't talk to large crowds. I can, it just takes a whole lot of effort for me.

I also can't socialize with people I barely know, either you take the initiative to come talk to me and plant a subject or we shall never be friends. sad.gif

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:02 AM Edited by theNGclan, 20 March 2013 - 02:08 AM.

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 01:38)

user posted image

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

QUOTE (blitz @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 02:59)
I can't talk to large crowds. I can, it just takes a whole lot of effort for me.

I also can't socialize with people I barely know, either you take the initiative to come talk to me and plant a subject or we shall never be friends. sad.gif

According to your profile you're 16 and probably still going trough puberty, which means your social skills are still being shaped if you will. In short, it can still change.

theNGclan
  • theNGclan

• Members
  • United-States

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:06 AM

@TheNGclan You can't refute that 100% untill you have been tested. If it isn't that it's most likely social anxiety to the max.

I've already seen a psychiatrist about this before. It's because I spent all of my time inside when I was a child. I spent my time inside because of my abusive family and my lack of friends.

Raavi
  • Raavi

Allergic to bullsh*t

• Vatican-City
    Best Forum Ledby 2013
    Most Improved 2013

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:10 AM

QUOTE (theNGclan @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 03:06)

I've already seen a psychiatrist about this before. It's because I spent all of my time inside when I was a child. I spent my time inside because of my abusive family and my lack of friends.

I'm sorry to hear that. I wish you all the best and stay postive, with the right mindset and power of will you can maybe still better it.

Kifflom112
  • Kifflom112

I like to spam

• Members

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:11 AM

QUOTE (Vanzant @ Tuesday, Mar 19 2013, 20:38)

lol.gif Oh my god, lol.

I only have a few of these issues and its basically with people I don't know or don't like:
-People who stare at me for a while for no damn reason
-Speaking to a crowd when it's quiet
-Speaking to random people I don't know

I used to have more severe social issues, lol, but they all seemed to have gone away except for the three I listed.

grope_4_that_date
  • grope_4_that_date

Future Moderator

• Members
  • None
  • Best Fan Art 2012
    Most Improved 2012
    Topic of the Year 2011 "GTA V Screenshot Fun"

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:23 AM

Lol this is embarrassing.

ZDANZ96
  • ZDANZ96

• Members

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

QUOTE (blitz @ Tuesday, Mar 19 2013, 22:59)

Don't worry blitz, I will(am) help(ing) you to deal with this issue. wink.gif

As for myself, I don't really have a problem socialzing with people or large crowds. I am just kinda shy when it comes to meeting new people, but it usually goes away after long hours of talk.

Ex Hellraiser
  • Ex Hellraiser

Legendary

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:29 AM

QUOTE (blitz @ Wednesday, Mar 20 2013, 01:59)

^ My life story.

I also have a problem wth being as proper as I can in public. I constantly remind myself that the people I pass in public have no idea who the f*ck I am, do not realize I I even exist, and/or will forget I exist within the next 2 seconds.

However, even reminding myself that, I don't pick my nose while driving past oncoming cars, walk my normal comfortable slumping walk, or look at anyone in particular, and a bunch of other things I don't think about.

I could just be like "f*ck it" and do something - lets just say, pick my nose in my car - I get a pang of anxiety and think "Will this one person notice? Will this one person remember what I am doing? Will this person think negatively of me, even though he and I will never cross paths ever again? Will this somehow affect my life in the future?"
All that stupid sh*t passes through my head in the instant my finger rises toward my face, then as a reflex, goes to do something nonchalant, such as scratching my chin or adjusting my glasses. Something more socially acceptable.

Even though this person likely won't notice, even though he might, will likely forget in 5 seconds, and even if they remember forever, will never meet me, and will never change my life in any way... I feel pretty f*cking stupid typing this up.

Human

• Members
  • None

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

I have all of the above. I am a nervous wreck when in public. I wish we had invisibility technology like the stealth boy in the fallout games or the cloak in Harry Potter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users